Newlyn killer denied appeal
8:40am Thursday 20th December 2012 in News
A former Newlyn fisherman convicted of murder earlier this year has been denied his appeal against the charge this week.
The Court of Appeal dismissed an appeal by Brian Harrison, aged 31, on Tuesday.
Harrison, formerly of Penzance, was convicted in 2008 of grievous bodily harm against his victim Neville Dunn and sentenced to an indeterminate sentence with a minimum tariff of six years imprisonment.
Mr Dunn, aged 42, died from his injuries in October 2009.
After Mr Dunn’s death, Devon and Cornwall Police successfully sought authority from the Attorney General to prosecute Harrison for murder.
Harrison was convicted of murder in March of this year at Truro Crown Court and given a life prison sentence with a minimum tariff of 12 years imprisonment.
Following this week's announcement, Detective Constable Gail Windsor said the police were "pleased" with the ouctome.
She said: "This was a highly unusual case and we had to seek permission from the Attorney General to bring the murder prosecution.
"The assault on Mr Dunn was a violent and premeditated crime and it is clear that his death was a direct result of the injuries sustained in the attack.
"For the past five years, Mr Dunn’s family has suffered a terrible ordeal but the dismissal of this appeal will hopefully finally provide closure and help them move on with their lives."