Lucky escape for Pandora Inn after chimney fire
9:33am Thursday 3rd January 2013 in News
FIREFIGHTERS were called to the The Pandora Inn at Restronguet yesterday morning after a fire in one of the historic chimneys was reported.
The 13th century thatched roofed pub was nearly destroyed in March 2011 after a devastating blaze began in a chimney. It was renovated and reopened in March last year.
Eleven firefighters and two fire engines from Falmouth were called to the pub but the blaze was out when they arrived.
A covering jet was put on stand-by as crews used a stirrup pump and chimney rods to check the chimney flue.
Firefighters also inspected all of the flues to ensure that the fire had not spread. Advice was given to the manager of the premises before fire crews left the scene.
A spokesman for the pub said the fire happened early in the morning when only a small number of people were inside. The alarm was raised after smoke was spotted coming into the restaurant and staff were evacuated.
The spokesman said that it looked as though soot in the flue caught alight. The chimneys were being swept and checked over.
For a look back at the Pandora fire of 2011 as it happened click the links below: