No decision yet on controversial Mabe 90 homes plan

First published in News Falmouth Packet: Photograph of the Author by , Ex-Reporter/Photographer

Plans to build 90 new houses at Mabe have stalled this week after the deadline for a decision to be made on the application came and passed.

The controversial plans, which sparked a heated exchange between villagers and developers at a public meeting last month, would see a mix of 12 flats and 78 two, three or four bedroom houses built on land between Treliever Road and the A39.

Cornwall Council's “determination deadline” for the planning application was Friday, January 11 but a decision has yet to be made on whether the proposals can get the green light.

A spokesperson for the council said: “It is likely to go to the planning committee for a decision in due course.”

Comments (1)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:53pm Sat 19 Jan 13

Gill Zella Martin 09 says...

I can't see the need for any four bedroomed homes, they certainly will not be for local needs I very much doubt. I was told by a representive on the Acres Edge estate in Helston where they are still building that they resubmitted some of their planning applications at one time to change the planning permission they already had for some four bedroomed properties to apply for planning permission for more two/three bedroomed ones instead. Presumably because out of the selection that had already been built at the time the two and three bedroomed ones were selling quicker.
There are currently already plenty of larger properties for sale on the open market. If I had the money to buy a four bedroomed property I certainly would not buy one stuck in the middle of a huge new estate.The same applied to the relatively new Riveria estate in Mullion, all the smaller properties sold first and there are still larger ones for sale currently. A percentage of those dwellings are now holiday lets. If any more properties are built and bought by people migrating into the county then I hope the additional strain on the doctors and dentists and schools lists are being addressed. I still have no NHS dentist now because the one I had left. So much for health and wellbeing. Start building some dentist surgeries instead and renovating some of the schools.
I can't see the need for any four bedroomed homes, they certainly will not be for local needs I very much doubt. I was told by a representive on the Acres Edge estate in Helston where they are still building that they resubmitted some of their planning applications at one time to change the planning permission they already had for some four bedroomed properties to apply for planning permission for more two/three bedroomed ones instead. Presumably because out of the selection that had already been built at the time the two and three bedroomed ones were selling quicker. There are currently already plenty of larger properties for sale on the open market. If I had the money to buy a four bedroomed property I certainly would not buy one stuck in the middle of a huge new estate.The same applied to the relatively new Riveria estate in Mullion, all the smaller properties sold first and there are still larger ones for sale currently. A percentage of those dwellings are now holiday lets. If any more properties are built and bought by people migrating into the county then I hope the additional strain on the doctors and dentists and schools lists are being addressed. I still have no NHS dentist now because the one I had left. So much for health and wellbeing. Start building some dentist surgeries instead and renovating some of the schools. Gill Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree