Helston Needs You! Call to stand in council elections

Helston Needs You! Call to stand in council elections

Helston Needs You! Call to stand in council elections

First published in News

Now is the time to stand up and be counted for the good of Helston.

This is the message from one shopkeeper in the town, who has started a campaign urging people to stand in the town council election this May.

Gillian Geer, of Gillian’s Tubs in Meneage Street, has used her shop window to encourage people to pop inside and talk about standing.

She told the Packet: “My concern is that most people in Helston are oblivious to the dates.

“The town has now to stand up and be counted, and put themselves forward. The more people that we can get to do that the better for the town.”

She stressed that her intention was not to get the current council thrown out, but merely to get democracy to run its course.

“All I’m saying is, let’s make everybody fight for their seat.

“There’s never been a concerted effort to get as many standing as possible. If nobody puts themselves forward then the people who do will get in automatically,” she said, adding that this was no good for any community.

Mrs Geer said she was prepared to stand herself should it come to that, but believed there were better candidates out there.

“Everybody needs to be aware that it’s no good to complain unless you actually do something about it,” she added.

The election will take place on May 2, but before then people must be nominated as a candidate.

Completed papers must be submitted after the Notice of Election is published on Wednesday, March 20 but before the deadline of noon on Friday, April 5.

Mrs Geer described this two-week time frame as “ludicrous” and she had hoped to have nomination forms in her shop from now, but was unable to do so.

In the meantime she hoped to take the details for anyone interested in standing and then ensure they had the necessary form next month.

Anyone over the age of 18 can stand if they have correct citizenship and are either registered to vote in the town, has in the preceding 12 months owned or rented land, worked there or lived within 4.8km of Helston’s boundaries.

Comments (52)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:38am Thu 21 Feb 13

ronedgcumbe says...

Certainly agree, I hope many people stand and we have a new council properly elected at the ballot box. Count me in.
Certainly agree, I hope many people stand and we have a new council properly elected at the ballot box. Count me in. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 0

11:28am Thu 21 Feb 13

ronedgcumbe says...

I think most people would like to see a new council. Some current crop have have not done the town any favours in recent years. New blood needed I think.
I think most people would like to see a new council. Some current crop have have not done the town any favours in recent years. New blood needed I think. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 0

12:25pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Unfortunately though they always appear to lose some of the best Councillors for various reasons, such as those who resigned or those that choose not to stand for election again.
Unfortunately though they always appear to lose some of the best Councillors for various reasons, such as those who resigned or those that choose not to stand for election again. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 0

12:35pm Thu 21 Feb 13

ronedgcumbe says...

It will be interesting to see how the current councilors explain away the wasting away of the supermarket money and whether they will attempt to distance themselves from the most ludicrous ideas such as the destination roundabout project.
It will be interesting to see how the current councilors explain away the wasting away of the supermarket money and whether they will attempt to distance themselves from the most ludicrous ideas such as the destination roundabout project. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 0

1:02pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Haven't heard anymore recently about the roundabouts project, perhaps they are just going round in circles over the idea and can't get up to speed with it.
Haven't heard anymore recently about the roundabouts project, perhaps they are just going round in circles over the idea and can't get up to speed with it. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 0

1:03pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe says...

No longer live within the boundary so can't put myself forward.... Come on Gill, get down to 'Gillian's Tubs'

Incidentally, that's would definitely be a candidate for the worst-named shop, if such an award existed!
No longer live within the boundary so can't put myself forward.... Come on Gill, get down to 'Gillian's Tubs' Incidentally, that's would definitely be a candidate for the worst-named shop, if such an award existed! Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe
  • Score: 0

1:05pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe says...

I don't think they can just do it 'dreckly' Gill, they have to approach it in a roundabout fashion.
I don't think they can just do it 'dreckly' Gill, they have to approach it in a roundabout fashion. Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe
  • Score: 0

1:11pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe wrote:
I don't think they can just do it 'dreckly' Gill, they have to approach it in a roundabout fashion.
Lol, I can't stand for election either I don't live within the three mile radius.
[quote][p][bold]Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe[/bold] wrote: I don't think they can just do it 'dreckly' Gill, they have to approach it in a roundabout fashion.[/p][/quote]Lol, I can't stand for election either I don't live within the three mile radius. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 0

1:15pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe says...

Are you absolutely sure, Gill? I could come out and measure it for you with one of those weird wheely things that driveway-layers use...
Are you absolutely sure, Gill? I could come out and measure it for you with one of those weird wheely things that driveway-layers use... Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe
  • Score: 0

1:24pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

I hope Jonathan Radford-Gaby is re elected, I think it was a shame Wendy Radford-Gaby resigned particularly as she was actually democratically elected originally. There are a few others I would like to see re elected but unfortunately I believe one of them will not be standing again.
I hope Jonathan Radford-Gaby is re elected, I think it was a shame Wendy Radford-Gaby resigned particularly as she was actually democratically elected originally. There are a few others I would like to see re elected but unfortunately I believe one of them will not be standing again. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 0

1:27pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe wrote:
Are you absolutely sure, Gill? I could come out and measure it for you with one of those weird wheely things that driveway-layers use...
Lol, I could just imagine you doing that, I've pulled some stunts in my time but I don't think even I could turn 7 miles into 3.
[quote][p][bold]Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe[/bold] wrote: Are you absolutely sure, Gill? I could come out and measure it for you with one of those weird wheely things that driveway-layers use...[/p][/quote]Lol, I could just imagine you doing that, I've pulled some stunts in my time but I don't think even I could turn 7 miles into 3. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 0

1:29pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe says...

Oh, sorry Gill, I forgot you weren't still in Porthleven!
Oh, sorry Gill, I forgot you weren't still in Porthleven! Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe
  • Score: 0

1:35pm Thu 21 Feb 13

ronedgcumbe says...

I would like to see some Helstonians elected.
I would like to see some Helstonians elected. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 0

1:43pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Yes apparently this week I live in Mullion, I personally don't mind where anyone chooses to say I live. Perhaps that's the answer, does anyone actually check where one lives when they apply to stand for election I wonder. If I had a choice I would live in Falmouth, better selection of shops and good Cornwall Councillors, not that I'm saying Porthleven or Mullion don't have good Cornwall Councillors. Plus Falmouth does not have any weird ideas about their roundabouts.
Yes apparently this week I live in Mullion, I personally don't mind where anyone chooses to say I live. Perhaps that's the answer, does anyone actually check where one lives when they apply to stand for election I wonder. If I had a choice I would live in Falmouth, better selection of shops and good Cornwall Councillors, not that I'm saying Porthleven or Mullion don't have good Cornwall Councillors. Plus Falmouth does not have any weird ideas about their roundabouts. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 0

1:45pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
I would like to see some Helstonians elected.
You've got some Helstonians elected, Mr Boase and his wife.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: I would like to see some Helstonians elected.[/p][/quote]You've got some Helstonians elected, Mr Boase and his wife. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 0

1:58pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe says...

Ok then Gill, I say you live in ....Luton, Bedfordshire!

But seriously, what you say is true about Falmouth. The roundabouts tend to have lovely plants (or cannons) on, which no one in their right mind would want removed. I, incidentally, am about 3 miles outside Falmouth (I mean both where I live and also where I am as I write this).
Ok then Gill, I say you live in ....Luton, Bedfordshire! But seriously, what you say is true about Falmouth. The roundabouts tend to have lovely plants (or cannons) on, which no one in their right mind would want removed. I, incidentally, am about 3 miles outside Falmouth (I mean both where I live and also where I am as I write this). Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe
  • Score: 0

2:23pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Lol, yes Falmouth seem to be forward thinking, particularly with their CIC groups.
Lol, yes Falmouth seem to be forward thinking, particularly with their CIC groups. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 0

4:56pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Red Eric says...

Good local knowledge Zella, well done. If that buffoon Boase is a Helston ****, thats the most powerful argument you could make to elect people like yourself outside of Helston.

Have you any idea which Councillors are standing down. I agree with comment about Mr Radford Gaby, I do hope he stands again. Hopefull the incoherent dribbling Ronnie Williams realises he is past his sell by date.

Any chance you know and could persuade Vicki Mathew to stand again ? She was outstanding.

The Labour party hope to field 3 candidates for the Town Council elections, to break this cosy little Lib Dem/Tory club.
Good local knowledge Zella, well done. If that buffoon Boase is a Helston ****, thats the most powerful argument you could make to elect people like yourself outside of Helston. Have you any idea which Councillors are standing down. I agree with comment about Mr Radford Gaby, I do hope he stands again. Hopefull the incoherent dribbling Ronnie Williams realises he is past his sell by date. Any chance you know and could persuade Vicki Mathew to stand again ? She was outstanding. The Labour party hope to field 3 candidates for the Town Council elections, to break this cosy little Lib Dem/Tory club. Red Eric
  • Score: 0

5:11pm Thu 21 Feb 13

TheOriginaDelboy says...

I don't want to rain on the endless roundabout "jokes" but the story of roundabouts ever being "a destination" has been badly misinterpreted/repor
ted.

When roundabouts were mentioned in the original story, the idea that should have been reported was to make them more attractive by getting them sponsored and maybe putting something interesting on them that won't distract drivers.
I don't want to rain on the endless roundabout "jokes" but the story of roundabouts ever being "a destination" has been badly misinterpreted/repor ted. When roundabouts were mentioned in the original story, the idea that should have been reported was to make them more attractive by getting them sponsored and maybe putting something interesting on them that won't distract drivers. TheOriginaDelboy
  • Score: 0

5:12pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe says...

"I do hope he stands again. Hopefull the incoherent dribbling Ronnie Williams realises he is past his sell by date."

Somewhat harsh words for someone who's done their best for their hometown, although I agree he shouldn't stand any more.
"I do hope he stands again. Hopefull the incoherent dribbling Ronnie Williams realises he is past his sell by date." Somewhat harsh words for someone who's done their best for their hometown, although I agree he shouldn't stand any more. Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe
  • Score: 0

5:25pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

I was told by one councillor that they will not be standing again but it is not really my place to name the person concerned. I wish the person concerned was standing again.

Incidentally Red Eric, I did read your comment directed to me regarding the Helston Museum article but unfortunately I read it a week later, however I did reply to you just to set the record straight.

Incidentally just for the record, I would like to see Councillor Jonathan Radford-Gaby re-elected for the good job he does, not particularly for the political party that he adheres to.
I was told by one councillor that they will not be standing again but it is not really my place to name the person concerned. I wish the person concerned was standing again. Incidentally Red Eric, I did read your comment directed to me regarding the Helston Museum article but unfortunately I read it a week later, however I did reply to you just to set the record straight. Incidentally just for the record, I would like to see Councillor Jonathan Radford-Gaby re-elected for the good job he does, not particularly for the political party that he adheres to. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 0

5:28pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

TheOriginaDelboy wrote:
I don't want to rain on the endless roundabout "jokes" but the story of roundabouts ever being "a destination" has been badly misinterpreted/repor

ted.

When roundabouts were mentioned in the original story, the idea that should have been reported was to make them more attractive by getting them sponsored and maybe putting something interesting on them that won't distract drivers.
Ok fair enough, but what roundabouts do they mean, as most are flat white markings in the road, hardly the raised roundabouts with plants as in Falmouth.
[quote][p][bold]TheOriginaDelboy[/bold] wrote: I don't want to rain on the endless roundabout "jokes" but the story of roundabouts ever being "a destination" has been badly misinterpreted/repor ted. When roundabouts were mentioned in the original story, the idea that should have been reported was to make them more attractive by getting them sponsored and maybe putting something interesting on them that won't distract drivers.[/p][/quote]Ok fair enough, but what roundabouts do they mean, as most are flat white markings in the road, hardly the raised roundabouts with plants as in Falmouth. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 0

5:32pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Bearing in mind I witness a good percentage of drivers drive straight over the top of the roundabouts.
Bearing in mind I witness a good percentage of drivers drive straight over the top of the roundabouts. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 0

5:36pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Personally I think anything that is put on a small roundabout will be a distraction. After all, was it not a town councillor that originally objected to notices at the side of the road and claimed they were a distraction.
Personally I think anything that is put on a small roundabout will be a distraction. After all, was it not a town councillor that originally objected to notices at the side of the road and claimed they were a distraction. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 0

7:40pm Thu 21 Feb 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Incidentally reading the original article re: roundabouts, I doubt any reader including myself misinterpreted it as it clearly says roundabouts will be destinations in their own rights. I additionally suggest the Packet only reported what they were told.
I believe it is all too easy to blame the local press reporters.

I believe politics should not come into running a town by a town council, nor indeed should politics come into the Cornwall Council equation, people should put Cornwall first and their local towns not Westminster.
Incidentally reading the original article re: roundabouts, I doubt any reader including myself misinterpreted it as it clearly says roundabouts will be destinations in their own rights. I additionally suggest the Packet only reported what they were told. I believe it is all too easy to blame the local press reporters. I believe politics should not come into running a town by a town council, nor indeed should politics come into the Cornwall Council equation, people should put Cornwall first and their local towns not Westminster. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 0

10:37pm Thu 21 Feb 13

seacom says...

Gill you could rent a beach hut in Falmouth thereby makeing you eligible for election maybe.
Gill you could rent a beach hut in Falmouth thereby makeing you eligible for election maybe. seacom
  • Score: 0

11:25pm Thu 21 Feb 13

ronedgcumbe says...

Gillian Zella Martin 09 wrote:
Yes apparently this week I live in Mullion, I personally don't mind where anyone chooses to say I live. Perhaps that's the answer, does anyone actually check where one lives when they apply to stand for election I wonder. If I had a choice I would live in Falmouth, better selection of shops and good Cornwall Councillors, not that I'm saying Porthleven or Mullion don't have good Cornwall Councillors. Plus Falmouth does not have any weird ideas about their roundabouts.
Never been properly elected to anything.
[quote][p][bold]Gillian Zella Martin 09[/bold] wrote: Yes apparently this week I live in Mullion, I personally don't mind where anyone chooses to say I live. Perhaps that's the answer, does anyone actually check where one lives when they apply to stand for election I wonder. If I had a choice I would live in Falmouth, better selection of shops and good Cornwall Councillors, not that I'm saying Porthleven or Mullion don't have good Cornwall Councillors. Plus Falmouth does not have any weird ideas about their roundabouts.[/p][/quote]Never been properly elected to anything. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 0

11:40pm Thu 21 Feb 13

ronedgcumbe says...

Gillian Zella Martin 09 wrote:
ronedgcumbe wrote:
I would like to see some Helstonians elected.
You've got some Helstonians elected, Mr Boase and his wife.
Try again

Neither one elected.
[quote][p][bold]Gillian Zella Martin 09[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: I would like to see some Helstonians elected.[/p][/quote]You've got some Helstonians elected, Mr Boase and his wife.[/p][/quote]Try again Neither one elected. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 0

11:47pm Thu 21 Feb 13

ronedgcumbe says...

Gillian Zella Martin 09 wrote:
I hope Jonathan Radford-Gaby is re elected, I think it was a shame Wendy Radford-Gaby resigned particularly as she was actually democratically elected originally. There are a few others I would like to see re elected but unfortunately I believe one of them will not be standing again.
Yes nice but dull. Some character needed.
[quote][p][bold]Gillian Zella Martin 09[/bold] wrote: I hope Jonathan Radford-Gaby is re elected, I think it was a shame Wendy Radford-Gaby resigned particularly as she was actually democratically elected originally. There are a few others I would like to see re elected but unfortunately I believe one of them will not be standing again.[/p][/quote]Yes nice but dull. Some character needed. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 0

3:28am Fri 22 Feb 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

seacom wrote:
Gill you could rent a beach hut in Falmouth thereby makeing you eligible for election maybe.
Now there's a thought, in Helston you have to live within 3 miles or work there or own land there, perhaps I could buy a paving slab in Falmouth, wonder if that would constitute land. I can't afford a beach hut.
I don't know why you have to live in an area to represent it because MPs do not have to.
[quote][p][bold]seacom[/bold] wrote: Gill you could rent a beach hut in Falmouth thereby makeing you eligible for election maybe.[/p][/quote]Now there's a thought, in Helston you have to live within 3 miles or work there or own land there, perhaps I could buy a paving slab in Falmouth, wonder if that would constitute land. I can't afford a beach hut. I don't know why you have to live in an area to represent it because MPs do not have to. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 0

3:38am Fri 22 Feb 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Gillian Zella Martin 09 wrote:
I hope Jonathan Radford-Gaby is re elected, I think it was a shame Wendy Radford-Gaby resigned particularly as she was actually democratically elected originally. There are a few others I would like to see re elected but unfortunately I believe one of them will not be standing again.
Yes nice but dull. Some character needed.
Oh dear, that's a bit of a character assassination is it not, Councillor Jonathan Radford-Gaby is a good representation for Helston in my view, what did you want from his character, we can't all be the same.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gillian Zella Martin 09[/bold] wrote: I hope Jonathan Radford-Gaby is re elected, I think it was a shame Wendy Radford-Gaby resigned particularly as she was actually democratically elected originally. There are a few others I would like to see re elected but unfortunately I believe one of them will not be standing again.[/p][/quote]Yes nice but dull. Some character needed.[/p][/quote]Oh dear, that's a bit of a character assassination is it not, Councillor Jonathan Radford-Gaby is a good representation for Helston in my view, what did you want from his character, we can't all be the same. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 0

10:10am Fri 22 Feb 13

ronedgcumbe says...

I would like someone to say what most people believe. For instance employing a team of five for town centre management is ridiculous.
We all know it yet no one on the council is prepared to say so. Why.
I would like someone to say what most people believe. For instance employing a team of five for town centre management is ridiculous. We all know it yet no one on the council is prepared to say so. Why. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 0

11:58am Fri 22 Feb 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
I would like someone to say what most people believe. For instance employing a team of five for town centre management is ridiculous.
We all know it yet no one on the council is prepared to say so. Why.
Perhaps they will not say it because they do think the same way that a percentage of the public think, I doubt there is anyone else that thinks like me for a start.
I do however agree with you Ron I think for a town the size of Helston the size of the management team is disproportionate.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: I would like someone to say what most people believe. For instance employing a team of five for town centre management is ridiculous. We all know it yet no one on the council is prepared to say so. Why.[/p][/quote]Perhaps they will not say it because they do think the same way that a percentage of the public think, I doubt there is anyone else that thinks like me for a start. I do however agree with you Ron I think for a town the size of Helston the size of the management team is disproportionate. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 0

1:44pm Fri 22 Feb 13

TheOriginaDelboy says...

This is my final post on this website because I have much more important things to be doing with my time.

I have tried explaining from time to time things that are happening in Helston on this website for the benefit of those that post.

However often things are torn apart and dissected as though there is a hidden agenda when there isn't and before I know it I am almost defending (in this case) the use of the word "destination" which I know was wrongly transcribed in The Packet.

The roundabout project is just part of the HBIP town aesthetics group plans. You may see more of their plans in The Packet at some point but it depends on whether The Packet choose to print the stories.

When referring to a roundabout I'm certain no one expects people to actually travel to a roundabout for a fun day out. It is simply a badly chosen word.

Ron, you are very rude with reference to Jonathan Radford-Gaby
and when talking about staffing levels in the town management office you make assumptions based on bits of stories and wonder why the council won't defend a stat made up by you because you mentioned it on this website?

If you want answers go to the council and ask, it's easier, a lot faster and factual.

Whilst talking about this made up stat, both Gill and Ron refer to "most people" or "percentage of the public".

But it seems you more accurately are referring to the few people that write on this website.

Who has asked "most people" or the "percentage of the public"? What research was done to justify these statements?

Are you aware of what work needs doing in the management office and the hours it takes to do it?

Bearing in mind people believe the town manager is responsible for everything from the bus service to the weather I'm sure he is a busy man.

I wish you all well for the future.
This is my final post on this website because I have much more important things to be doing with my time. I have tried explaining from time to time things that are happening in Helston on this website for the benefit of those that post. However often things are torn apart and dissected as though there is a hidden agenda when there isn't and before I know it I am almost defending (in this case) the use of the word "destination" which I know was wrongly transcribed in The Packet. The roundabout project is just part of the HBIP town aesthetics group plans. You may see more of their plans in The Packet at some point but it depends on whether The Packet choose to print the stories. When referring to a roundabout I'm certain no one expects people to actually travel to a roundabout for a fun day out. It is simply a badly chosen word. Ron, you are very rude with reference to Jonathan Radford-Gaby and when talking about staffing levels in the town management office you make assumptions based on bits of stories and wonder why the council won't defend a stat made up by you because you mentioned it on this website? If you want answers go to the council and ask, it's easier, a lot faster and factual. Whilst talking about this made up stat, both Gill and Ron refer to "most people" or "percentage of the public". But it seems you more accurately are referring to the few people that write on this website. Who has asked "most people" or the "percentage of the public"? What research was done to justify these statements? Are you aware of what work needs doing in the management office and the hours it takes to do it? Bearing in mind people believe the town manager is responsible for everything from the bus service to the weather I'm sure he is a busy man. I wish you all well for the future. TheOriginaDelboy
  • Score: 0

2:24pm Fri 22 Feb 13

telstar1962 says...

Whilst we've got the attention of the perpetual commenters,could the experts please advise just who on Helston Town Council has been actually voted in by the people ?

(And since many of the Town's issues also concern the wider area, don't you think it may be a good idea to have, say, just two Councillors who could reside up to 10 miles distant?)
Whilst we've got the attention of the perpetual commenters,could the experts please advise just who on Helston Town Council has been actually voted in by the people ? (And since many of the Town's issues also concern the wider area, don't you think it may be a good idea to have, say, just two Councillors who could reside up to 10 miles distant?) telstar1962
  • Score: 0

2:41pm Fri 22 Feb 13

telstar1962 says...

To quote from someone who is alleged to be 'dull'

''For me, Helston is quite simply the finest town in Cornwall to live in. Whether one considers the quality of schools, the richness of local history, the fine old architecture of the town, the variety of local shops and businesses, the beauty of the local countryside and coastal areas, or the wide variety of local volunteer groups who work so hard to make life good in the town, Helston has so much to be proud of''

This is Mr Radford-Gaby's introduction on the Helston Town Council web-site.

So what right has he got in extolling the virtue of 'The beauty of the local countryside and coastal areas', but if you happen to live outside the Town boundary, and in such a wonderful coastal location, then you cannot be a Councillor.
To quote from someone who is alleged to be 'dull' ''For me, Helston is quite simply the finest town in Cornwall to live in. Whether one considers the quality of schools, the richness of local history, the fine old architecture of the town, the variety of local shops and businesses, the beauty of the local countryside and coastal areas, or the wide variety of local volunteer groups who work so hard to make life good in the town, Helston has so much to be proud of'' This is Mr Radford-Gaby's introduction on the Helston Town Council web-site. So what right has he got in extolling the virtue of 'The beauty of the local countryside and coastal areas', but if you happen to live outside the Town boundary, and in such a wonderful coastal location, then you cannot be a Councillor. telstar1962
  • Score: 0

3:00pm Fri 22 Feb 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

I always do my research and I have asked many Helston residents and indeed visitors and have additionally surveyed people in the local supermarket car-parks, with regards to shopping etc in Helston and what they woud like to see initiated as I have in fact mentioned in the past on line here, therefore I find my previous comment of 'a percentage of people' quite justified, in fact on this particular article the only percentage of people that I referred to was the percentage that drive over the top of the mini roundabouts which is based on fact of that which I have witnessed.
In my view approximately 500 people bothering to vote out of around ten thousand regarding the branding gives an idea of interest to that initiative.
No matter what the idea for roundabouts is or how it was portrayed in the Packet does not alter my opinion that it is a distraction to place anything other than normal fittings on small roundabouts. A Helston town councillor previously stated in the past that she thought small advertising signs on the roadside were a distraction which makes me question has the roundabout idea been discussed with or agreed to by the town council. With regards to the amount of work in the office and employees needed, the HBIP has its own part time paid secretary I believe in addition to a town manager his assistant and the forth coming apprentices (and of course the town councils clerk and assistant,) maybe all these paid employees are needed for all the additional work involved with the HBIP, however, I will be interested to see how Helston compares with Porthleven and the running of their CIC, and in the mean time people will still park for free at the supermarkets or travel to neighbouring towns to benefit from their parking schemes.
I always do my research and I have asked many Helston residents and indeed visitors and have additionally surveyed people in the local supermarket car-parks, with regards to shopping etc in Helston and what they woud like to see initiated as I have in fact mentioned in the past on line here, therefore I find my previous comment of 'a percentage of people' quite justified, in fact on this particular article the only percentage of people that I referred to was the percentage that drive over the top of the mini roundabouts which is based on fact of that which I have witnessed. In my view approximately 500 people bothering to vote out of around ten thousand regarding the branding gives an idea of interest to that initiative. No matter what the idea for roundabouts is or how it was portrayed in the Packet does not alter my opinion that it is a distraction to place anything other than normal fittings on small roundabouts. A Helston town councillor previously stated in the past that she thought small advertising signs on the roadside were a distraction which makes me question has the roundabout idea been discussed with or agreed to by the town council. With regards to the amount of work in the office and employees needed, the HBIP has its own part time paid secretary I believe in addition to a town manager his assistant and the forth coming apprentices (and of course the town councils clerk and assistant,) maybe all these paid employees are needed for all the additional work involved with the HBIP, however, I will be interested to see how Helston compares with Porthleven and the running of their CIC, and in the mean time people will still park for free at the supermarkets or travel to neighbouring towns to benefit from their parking schemes. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 0

3:03pm Fri 22 Feb 13

Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe says...

The obsession many people round here have with precisely where people live/are from is getting dull beyond belief.Does he/she live in Helston or just outside? Are they Helston-born? Are they Cornish? Are they even British?

At the end of the day, we all have to live in the same place: inside our own heads.

Everyone seems to think their own home town is best: could it be that life's pretty **** similar in all of them? I've lived in many areas in the UK and abroad over the years and, while Mr Radford-Gaby's eulogy to Helston is touching and while you no doubt have to sound super-enthusiastic to get many local people's votes, I can safely say that it doesn't matter where you live, whether it's the Bahamas or Birmingham, you still have the same old thought patterns rattling round your mind and therefore have roughly the same degree of 'happiness'.... unless you change your thought process, that is.
Until that happens in Helston, the town's going to continue to be hampered by a low calibre of candidate and pernicious in-fighting.

Maybe I'm a bit off-topic but I don't give a hoot!!
The obsession many people round here have with precisely where people live/are from is getting dull beyond belief.Does he/she live in Helston or just outside? Are they Helston-born? Are they Cornish? Are they even British? At the end of the day, we all have to live in the same place: inside our own heads. Everyone seems to think their own home town is best: could it be that life's pretty **** similar in all of them? I've lived in many areas in the UK and abroad over the years and, while Mr Radford-Gaby's eulogy to Helston is touching and while you no doubt have to sound super-enthusiastic to get many local people's votes, I can safely say that it doesn't matter where you live, whether it's the Bahamas or Birmingham, you still have the same old thought patterns rattling round your mind and therefore have roughly the same degree of 'happiness'.... unless you change your thought process, that is. Until that happens in Helston, the town's going to continue to be hampered by a low calibre of candidate and pernicious in-fighting. Maybe I'm a bit off-topic but I don't give a hoot!! Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe
  • Score: 0

3:06pm Fri 22 Feb 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

telstar1962 wrote:
To quote from someone who is alleged to be 'dull'

''For me, Helston is quite simply the finest town in Cornwall to live in. Whether one considers the quality of schools, the richness of local history, the fine old architecture of the town, the variety of local shops and businesses, the beauty of the local countryside and coastal areas, or the wide variety of local volunteer groups who work so hard to make life good in the town, Helston has so much to be proud of''

This is Mr Radford-Gaby's introduction on the Helston Town Council web-site.

So what right has he got in extolling the virtue of 'The beauty of the local countryside and coastal areas', but if you happen to live outside the Town boundary, and in such a wonderful coastal location, then you cannot be a Councillor.
Just read your post, excellent point made. As I have said in the past, it appears justified by some, to expect those from outlying areas to patronise the shops in Helston town centre but not however to represent the town despite the fact that Helston is the nearest town to many outside the 3 mile boundary limit.
[quote][p][bold]telstar1962[/bold] wrote: To quote from someone who is alleged to be 'dull' ''For me, Helston is quite simply the finest town in Cornwall to live in. Whether one considers the quality of schools, the richness of local history, the fine old architecture of the town, the variety of local shops and businesses, the beauty of the local countryside and coastal areas, or the wide variety of local volunteer groups who work so hard to make life good in the town, Helston has so much to be proud of'' This is Mr Radford-Gaby's introduction on the Helston Town Council web-site. So what right has he got in extolling the virtue of 'The beauty of the local countryside and coastal areas', but if you happen to live outside the Town boundary, and in such a wonderful coastal location, then you cannot be a Councillor.[/p][/quote]Just read your post, excellent point made. As I have said in the past, it appears justified by some, to expect those from outlying areas to patronise the shops in Helston town centre but not however to represent the town despite the fact that Helston is the nearest town to many outside the 3 mile boundary limit. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 0

3:16pm Fri 22 Feb 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

LBF-S I don't mind where anyone comes from, to me it is irrelevant, my issue remains the exclusion of residents in a rural area from having the right to stand for election in their nearest town.
Incidentally why should I have to endure Helston as part of my postal address then.
LBF-S I don't mind where anyone comes from, to me it is irrelevant, my issue remains the exclusion of residents in a rural area from having the right to stand for election in their nearest town. Incidentally why should I have to endure Helston as part of my postal address then. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 0

3:22pm Fri 22 Feb 13

Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe says...

And I totally agree with that principle, Gill. Anyone with a TR13 postcode should be able to stand there.
And I totally agree with that principle, Gill. Anyone with a TR13 postcode should be able to stand there. Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe
  • Score: 0

3:40pm Fri 22 Feb 13

telstar1962 says...

It is an excellent point lol

Also,to include how good Helston is,in with an area outside the Town's jurisdiction,cannot be right.

I also think that the proliferation of advertising around the Town,in fields, on fences,hedges and gates etc should only be allowed if the advertiser has a direct link with the owner of the property.

The planning permission is ultimately granted by Cornwall Council,but the eyesore of this detracts the driver, but may assist the desparate advertiser.

I do wonder at times whether the Town Council members read these comments,and are just ignored because the commenters do no attend Council meetings where they may be taken more seriously
It is an excellent point lol Also,to include how good Helston is,in with an area outside the Town's jurisdiction,cannot be right. I also think that the proliferation of advertising around the Town,in fields, on fences,hedges and gates etc should only be allowed if the advertiser has a direct link with the owner of the property. The planning permission is ultimately granted by Cornwall Council,but the eyesore of this detracts the driver, but may assist the desparate advertiser. I do wonder at times whether the Town Council members read these comments,and are just ignored because the commenters do no attend Council meetings where they may be taken more seriously telstar1962
  • Score: 0

4:10pm Fri 22 Feb 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

I question the use of the picture of Goonhilly and the Porthleven harbour and gig club in the Portas bid video. Why was it acceptable to include that in a bid to try to gain funding for Helston alone and yet residents from the Lizard area cannot stand for election in Helston.
I question the use of the picture of Goonhilly and the Porthleven harbour and gig club in the Portas bid video. Why was it acceptable to include that in a bid to try to gain funding for Helston alone and yet residents from the Lizard area cannot stand for election in Helston. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 0

4:18pm Fri 22 Feb 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Actually my whole argument is futile because even if I was eligible to stand for election in Helston no one would vote for me anyway, for a start I am too controversial and secondly I do not adhere to any political party, however, it is the principle of the thing.
On that note I am going to omit Helston from my postal address in the future and shop elsewhere lol
Actually my whole argument is futile because even if I was eligible to stand for election in Helston no one would vote for me anyway, for a start I am too controversial and secondly I do not adhere to any political party, however, it is the principle of the thing. On that note I am going to omit Helston from my postal address in the future and shop elsewhere lol Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 0

4:41pm Fri 22 Feb 13

seacom says...

Too controversial and an independant you could take Mr Varneys place in Falmouth and fit straight in!
Too controversial and an independant you could take Mr Varneys place in Falmouth and fit straight in! seacom
  • Score: 0

6:37pm Fri 22 Feb 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

I thought Councillor Varney was a Cornwall Councillor not town councillor. I can't imagine why anyone would want to be a Falmouth Cornwall Councillor, they appear to me to have come under constant criticism for the past couple of years at least, by a percentage of individuals. I would imagine if a meteorite came down in Falmouth and made a pothole it would bound to be thought as the Falmouth Cornwall Councillors fault. If there is a lack of affordable housing in future years that will likely be deemed their fault as well despite them wanting to provide them. Incidentally I do not call what equates to only about 1% concreting over Cornwall as claimed by some. I think anyone thinking of standing for councillor, town or Cornwall should attend a few public meetings to see what they have to put up with.
I thought Councillor Varney was a Cornwall Councillor not town councillor. I can't imagine why anyone would want to be a Falmouth Cornwall Councillor, they appear to me to have come under constant criticism for the past couple of years at least, by a percentage of individuals. I would imagine if a meteorite came down in Falmouth and made a pothole it would bound to be thought as the Falmouth Cornwall Councillors fault. If there is a lack of affordable housing in future years that will likely be deemed their fault as well despite them wanting to provide them. Incidentally I do not call what equates to only about 1% concreting over Cornwall as claimed by some. I think anyone thinking of standing for councillor, town or Cornwall should attend a few public meetings to see what they have to put up with. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 0

7:32pm Fri 22 Feb 13

seacom says...

Falmouth Town council do get blasted unfairly sometimes .And speaking to some town councillors and of course local press two of falmouths county councillors (formerely town councillors) seem unable or unwilling to support the council .At town meetings proceedings seem to hijacked and decisions derided along with those makeing them.Not good for democracy.
Falmouth Town council do get blasted unfairly sometimes .And speaking to some town councillors and of course local press two of falmouths county councillors (formerely town councillors) seem unable or unwilling to support the council .At town meetings proceedings seem to hijacked and decisions derided along with those makeing them.Not good for democracy. seacom
  • Score: 0

8:44pm Fri 22 Feb 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Someone posting under a pseudonym made derogatory comments about some Falmouth Cornwall Councillors and myself on this website, this went on for months on end and one thing that was consistent in the comments was the spelling of councillor with only one 'L' strangely enough I have today been reminded of that consistent spelling error.
Someone posting under a pseudonym made derogatory comments about some Falmouth Cornwall Councillors and myself on this website, this went on for months on end and one thing that was consistent in the comments was the spelling of councillor with only one 'L' strangely enough I have today been reminded of that consistent spelling error. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 0

8:33pm Tue 26 Feb 13

seacom says...

It certainly would be unusual to repeatedly spell CounciLor this way i must have missed it.Probably one of those who spell Falmothian wrongly there are many.
It certainly would be unusual to repeatedly spell CounciLor this way i must have missed it.Probably one of those who spell Falmothian wrongly there are many. seacom
  • Score: 0

4:44am Wed 27 Feb 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

seacom yes I have spelt falmothian wrong on occasion and probably other words, my point being falmouthborn criticised myself and Cornwall Councillors frequently in the past and both falmouthborn and Councillor Sterratt CONSISTENTLY spelt councillor with only one 'L' coincidence ? bearing in mind the ridiculous comment Councillor Sterratt has recently directed to me on another article and the comment he directed to me in the past regarding public toilets. My point is not because someone made a spelling mistake because no doubt we all do at some point, my point is the similarity to spelling on a regular basis in conjunction with the same type of criticism about the same subjects aimed at myself and the same Falmouth Cornwall Councillors on a regular basis by two supposedly different people.
seacom yes I have spelt falmothian wrong on occasion and probably other words, my point being falmouthborn criticised myself and Cornwall Councillors frequently in the past and both falmouthborn and Councillor Sterratt CONSISTENTLY spelt councillor with only one 'L' coincidence ? bearing in mind the ridiculous comment Councillor Sterratt has recently directed to me on another article and the comment he directed to me in the past regarding public toilets. My point is not because someone made a spelling mistake because no doubt we all do at some point, my point is the similarity to spelling on a regular basis in conjunction with the same type of criticism about the same subjects aimed at myself and the same Falmouth Cornwall Councillors on a regular basis by two supposedly different people. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 0

5:06am Wed 27 Feb 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

As you obviously need it pointing out to you seacom I only used a capital L to emphasise the spelling error.

As for Councillor Sterratts last post directed to me on the other article, it is my view that he has no 'people skills' maybe he should remember he is supposed to be representing Falmouth town council whereas I am only a member of the public.
As you obviously need it pointing out to you seacom I only used a capital L to emphasise the spelling error. As for Councillor Sterratts last post directed to me on the other article, it is my view that he has no 'people skills' maybe he should remember he is supposed to be representing Falmouth town council whereas I am only a member of the public. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 0

9:06pm Wed 27 Feb 13

seacom says...

No sense of humour you "helston lot" as for the people skills of Councillor (2xl) Sterratt they must be pretty good as he interacts well with fellow councillors and the public and has not as yet felt the need to resign his commision.
No sense of humour you "helston lot" as for the people skills of Councillor (2xl) Sterratt they must be pretty good as he interacts well with fellow councillors and the public and has not as yet felt the need to resign his commision. seacom
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree