Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting PKNEWS to 80360
Friday news round-up: Swanpool surf, council tax freeze, and much more
4:42pm Friday 22nd February 2013 in News
Here at thepacket.co.uk we like to give you a little look back at what has been making the headlines, and highlighting those stories you may have missed.
If you have an idea about what stories you would like to see, or how to make this more useful, let me know at email@example.com or via Twitter @jonnyatsea.
This week we published a feature about 25-years of success at Pendennis Shipyard (And people say we only publish bad news!) Click here to read how this company has helped put Falmouth on the superyacht map.
And remember if you are mad about marine, or bonkers about boats, our In Port Section has a lot to offer. Click here for more
Stopped by the power of love! Click here to read how a man who waved a kitchen knife around and told his girlfriend he would “have” her began to cut his own arms after she started to cry and told him she loved him.
- We all like to have a good old moan about our illustrious elected officals, often with good reason, but why not see if you could do better. One Helston woman is asking that you give it a shot. Click here to read more.
- This week has seen thepacket.co.uk publish a few videos, and it is something we want to do more of. Click here to check out how surfers enjoyed some Swanpool swell and click here to watch a moving dedication to a Mylor stalwart. Keep your eye out for a bit of panto fun tomorrow as well.
- With the rise in the value of some metals making mining in Cornwall viable again, Click here to read one councillors view on Cornwall's modern dilemma, whether we should "manicure or mine".
- Click here to read how three people arrested following an investigation at the John Daniel Centre have appeared at Truro Magistrates Court charged with ill-treating or wilfully neglecting a person without capacity
- Not enough money to help the very poorest people in Cornwall with their council tax, but enough to play politics by competing to wear sackcloth and ashes by freezing it for the richest. Click here to read how council Tories and Lib Dems want to freeze council tax, and what the Skipper has to say. (He is not keen, to say the least).
- It has been the cause of rows, resignations and no end of conspiracy theories, but despite taking a hammering the Cornwall Council privatisation plan is limping on, in a much reduced form. Click here for the latest and to read the full report (well the one we are allowed to see)
- It is the end of an era in Falmouth as new owners transform the Green Lawns Hotel into the Merchants Manor. Click here.
- And here is one of my favourites this week, how a 'see food' diet saw one chubby seal balloon to nearly 30 stone., when he ate everything he could see. Click here to read how Yule Log needs to lose a few pounds
- If you are out and about this weekend, wrap up warm as the forecast is for Snow flurries and freezing temperatures. Click here.
- And remember you can keep up-to-date with live weather and travel here.
Comments are closed on this article.