Charities say 'put disabled children down' councillor 'not fit to hold office'

First published in News
Last updated

Five Cornish disability charities have joined forces to say the councillor who resigned over comments that disabled children should be 'put down' as they cost Cornwall too much, and was then re-elected, is not fit to hold office.

Reiterating their call for him to stand down, the joint statement on behalf of The Parent Carer Council for Cornwall, Disability Cornwall and Isles of Scilly, Cornwall People First, the National Autistic Society (West Cornwall Branch) and Cornwall Downs Syndrome Support Group thanked people for attending a protest meeting at County Hall, and those leaders of the council's political parties who came out to speak to protesters and "share their own concerns with us".

The statement said: "Unfortunately, despite Cornwall Council's efforts to set up a meeting between the Parent Carer Council, Disability Cornwall and Cllr Brewer, it did not go ahead", claiming that this was due to Mr Brewer being "signed off sick".

Adding they look forward to rescheduling this meeting "at the earliest opportunity".

The charities say that since Cllr Brewer's re-election to Wadebridge East, they have heard from "many people in that area who are mortified by this result".

Saying: "We believe and many people have told us, Brewer is not representative of Wadebridge or of Cornwall."

Adding they feel his comment was not made as a Cornish joke, to provoke debate or as a wind up and that his re-election was adding insult to injury. Adding Mr Brewer had caused "immense upset and distress" to many good citizens in Cornwall.

Calling Mr Brewers' statement following his re-election "triumphant", the charities have said they believe he is not fit to hold public office."

It adds: "His re-election sends entirely the wrong message to the people of Cornwall at a time when disabled people are experiencing increasing intolerance and abuse in their communities.

"We have no option but to accept the democratic process however flawed it may seem in this case, but we ask again that Cllr Brewer re-consider his position and find an alternative way to make a contribution to his community."

"Let's not forget, if the complaints process itself was fit for purpose in the first place, and a more appropriate sanction applied, Collin Brewer would probably never have had the chance to stand for re-election."

Comments (26)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:24pm Thu 9 May 13

guest01 says...

They should be concentrating on fighting for policy and regulation changes rather than naming the individual. They are making themselves look bad now.
They should be concentrating on fighting for policy and regulation changes rather than naming the individual. They are making themselves look bad now. guest01
  • Score: 0

6:02pm Thu 9 May 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Perhaps all Councillors should provide a CRB check to see if they are all squeaky clean, after that they could all take lie detector tests to find out their thoughts on all moral issues.

I think any councillor that makes derogatory comments about those living in social rented accommodation should resign because they would be discriminatory with their representation of the local electorate.
Perhaps all Councillors should provide a CRB check to see if they are all squeaky clean, after that they could all take lie detector tests to find out their thoughts on all moral issues. I think any councillor that makes derogatory comments about those living in social rented accommodation should resign because they would be discriminatory with their representation of the local electorate. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 0

6:20pm Thu 9 May 13

guest01 says...

I guess you are saying that first paragraph tongue in cheek Gill

As for the 2nd , as we all know, he did resign.
I guess you are saying that first paragraph tongue in cheek Gill As for the 2nd , as we all know, he did resign. guest01
  • Score: 0

6:41pm Thu 9 May 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

I don't know who you are referring to regarding resignation, but my comment had no reference to anyone that has resigned.
I don't know who you are referring to regarding resignation, but my comment had no reference to anyone that has resigned. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 0

7:02pm Thu 9 May 13

guest01 says...

The councillor that this article refers to resigned because of his comments.
The councillor that this article refers to resigned because of his comments. guest01
  • Score: 0

7:51pm Thu 9 May 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

I was saying hypothetically that if a councillor made derogatory comments about people that live in social rented properties, then they should resign because in my view that would be discriminatory. My point being, where does one draw the line about asking a councillor to resign because he makes a comment that others object to.
Councillor Colin Brewer appears genuinely remorseful to me and he has apologized so I personally bear no grudges against him despite his past comment affecting me regarding personal family circumstances.
I was saying hypothetically that if a councillor made derogatory comments about people that live in social rented properties, then they should resign because in my view that would be discriminatory. My point being, where does one draw the line about asking a councillor to resign because he makes a comment that others object to. Councillor Colin Brewer appears genuinely remorseful to me and he has apologized so I personally bear no grudges against him despite his past comment affecting me regarding personal family circumstances. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 0

8:01am Fri 10 May 13

ronedgcumbe says...

Gillian Zella Martin 09 wrote:
I was saying hypothetically that if a councillor made derogatory comments about people that live in social rented properties, then they should resign because in my view that would be discriminatory. My point being, where does one draw the line about asking a councillor to resign because he makes a comment that others object to.
Councillor Colin Brewer appears genuinely remorseful to me and he has apologized so I personally bear no grudges against him despite his past comment affecting me regarding personal family circumstances.
I dont think you have picked a very good example Gill but I see your point. Most people who live in fair rent housing are very happy with this system the landlords are very good and the areas maintained. They are also less likely to claim housing benefits as they more able to stand on there own feet than the exploited renters in the private sector.
We need more fair rent housing anyone surgesting there is a stigma to it would just be laughed at by the people who live in as like me they would not ever wish to live anywhere elles.
[quote][p][bold]Gillian Zella Martin 09[/bold] wrote: I was saying hypothetically that if a councillor made derogatory comments about people that live in social rented properties, then they should resign because in my view that would be discriminatory. My point being, where does one draw the line about asking a councillor to resign because he makes a comment that others object to. Councillor Colin Brewer appears genuinely remorseful to me and he has apologized so I personally bear no grudges against him despite his past comment affecting me regarding personal family circumstances.[/p][/quote]I dont think you have picked a very good example Gill but I see your point. Most people who live in fair rent housing are very happy with this system the landlords are very good and the areas maintained. They are also less likely to claim housing benefits as they more able to stand on there own feet than the exploited renters in the private sector. We need more fair rent housing anyone surgesting there is a stigma to it would just be laughed at by the people who live in as like me they would not ever wish to live anywhere elles. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 0

8:10am Fri 10 May 13

ronedgcumbe says...

I just hope that Wadebridge will now not become know as the home of RCS but as the place that elected the councilor that said disabled children should be put to sleep. Terrible if that happens.
I just hope that Wadebridge will now not become know as the home of RCS but as the place that elected the councilor that said disabled children should be put to sleep. Terrible if that happens. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 0

8:16am Fri 10 May 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

I picked that as an example Ron as I believe that is exactly what I read a year or so ago written by a current councillor. An article regarding those in social housing, that appeared to me very derogatory and when I read it to someone else they agreed that they did not think I had interpreted it incorrectly.
I picked that as an example Ron as I believe that is exactly what I read a year or so ago written by a current councillor. An article regarding those in social housing, that appeared to me very derogatory and when I read it to someone else they agreed that they did not think I had interpreted it incorrectly. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 0

8:30am Fri 10 May 13

ronedgcumbe says...

Sorry I missed that article which is unusal for me. But if I read it I would of simply laughed at it. Critisism of that sort is fine after all it is unfair that private sector rent are so high with earnings so low. Saying that my daughter should of been put to sleep is very different.
Sorry I missed that article which is unusal for me. But if I read it I would of simply laughed at it. Critisism of that sort is fine after all it is unfair that private sector rent are so high with earnings so low. Saying that my daughter should of been put to sleep is very different. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 0

8:50am Fri 10 May 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

I won't drag up the past as it is the past, and the comments were not made by any of our local Councillors down this end of the county but the general gist of it was regarding social rented tenants and benefits, which was in my opinion at the time, not suitable comments from a councillor in office, as they were in my view clearly discriminatory.
Reagarding your personal circumstances Ron and the ongoing debate regarding Councillor Brewer I do however understand how you feel about his comment.
I won't drag up the past as it is the past, and the comments were not made by any of our local Councillors down this end of the county but the general gist of it was regarding social rented tenants and benefits, which was in my opinion at the time, not suitable comments from a councillor in office, as they were in my view clearly discriminatory. Reagarding your personal circumstances Ron and the ongoing debate regarding Councillor Brewer I do however understand how you feel about his comment. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 0

9:16am Fri 10 May 13

ronedgcumbe says...

Gillian Zella Martin 09 wrote:
I won't drag up the past as it is the past, and the comments were not made by any of our local Councillors down this end of the county but the general gist of it was regarding social rented tenants and benefits, which was in my opinion at the time, not suitable comments from a councillor in office, as they were in my view clearly discriminatory.
Reagarding your personal circumstances Ron and the ongoing debate regarding Councillor Brewer I do however understand how you feel about his comment.
I would of thout it was private rented tenants who claimed most benefits not fair rent ones as there rents are so higher. There articles make no sence, wish I had read it at the time.
Incidently the best way to cut the benefit bill is to build affordable housing.
[quote][p][bold]Gillian Zella Martin 09[/bold] wrote: I won't drag up the past as it is the past, and the comments were not made by any of our local Councillors down this end of the county but the general gist of it was regarding social rented tenants and benefits, which was in my opinion at the time, not suitable comments from a councillor in office, as they were in my view clearly discriminatory. Reagarding your personal circumstances Ron and the ongoing debate regarding Councillor Brewer I do however understand how you feel about his comment.[/p][/quote]I would of thout it was private rented tenants who claimed most benefits not fair rent ones as there rents are so higher. There articles make no sence, wish I had read it at the time. Incidently the best way to cut the benefit bill is to build affordable housing. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 0

9:18am Fri 10 May 13

ronedgcumbe says...

My phone is changing words again. Sorry.
My phone is changing words again. Sorry. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 0

10:08am Fri 10 May 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

I understand what you mean Ron.
I understand what you mean Ron. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 0

12:06pm Fri 10 May 13

GrahamHarris says...

Can I just ask a question and I'm really looking for facts here.

Has anybody got any idea of the amount that a Council spends on people with disabilities or adult learning etc?

Looking at the Council website on spending, I think it looks like 20% of their annual costs.

By anyone's definitions, this is a large part of a Council's expenditure and rightly or wrongly, Mr Brewer is correct in a way. Costing ''too much'' is debatable, but costing a lot - yes!
Can I just ask a question and I'm really looking for facts here. Has anybody got any idea of the amount that a Council spends on people with disabilities or adult learning etc? Looking at the Council website on spending, I think it looks like 20% of their annual costs. By anyone's definitions, this is a large part of a Council's expenditure and rightly or wrongly, Mr Brewer is correct in a way. Costing ''too much'' is debatable, but costing a lot - yes! GrahamHarris
  • Score: 0

12:20pm Fri 10 May 13

guest01 says...

Did you just say it's correct that disabled people should be put down?
Did you just say it's correct that disabled people should be put down? guest01
  • Score: 0

12:52pm Fri 10 May 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

I interpreted Graham Harris's post differently. I do not think that is what he is trying to say at all.
I interpreted Graham Harris's post differently. I do not think that is what he is trying to say at all. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 0

1:56pm Fri 10 May 13

ronedgcumbe says...

I think the social care budget is about what Mr Harris says but that includes the elderly.
These services are absolutly nessesary for those who recieve them and without many would require full time care and an even larger spend.
I think the social care budget is about what Mr Harris says but that includes the elderly. These services are absolutly nessesary for those who recieve them and without many would require full time care and an even larger spend. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 0

2:18pm Fri 10 May 13

ronedgcumbe says...

GrahamHarris wrote:
Can I just ask a question and I'm really looking for facts here.

Has anybody got any idea of the amount that a Council spends on people with disabilities or adult learning etc?

Looking at the Council website on spending, I think it looks like 20% of their annual costs.

By anyone's definitions, this is a large part of a Council's expenditure and rightly or wrongly, Mr Brewer is correct in a way. Costing ''too much'' is debatable, but costing a lot - yes!
A civilised society is judged by the way it treats its most vunerable. Costing too much is debatable, well I dont think so.
[quote][p][bold]GrahamHarris[/bold] wrote: Can I just ask a question and I'm really looking for facts here. Has anybody got any idea of the amount that a Council spends on people with disabilities or adult learning etc? Looking at the Council website on spending, I think it looks like 20% of their annual costs. By anyone's definitions, this is a large part of a Council's expenditure and rightly or wrongly, Mr Brewer is correct in a way. Costing ''too much'' is debatable, but costing a lot - yes![/p][/quote]A civilised society is judged by the way it treats its most vunerable. Costing too much is debatable, well I dont think so. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 0

2:32pm Fri 10 May 13

GrahamHarris says...

I am merely trying to get people to look at and understand actual facts thats all.

This is a very very difficult subject but if you purely look at facts and figures and forget morals, then there are certain groups of people/society that take everything out a ''system''.

A country or government or council can only run itself if it receives more money in from taxpayers than it pays out to claimants etc.

There are without question, members of society that cost more than others.
I am merely trying to get people to look at and understand actual facts thats all. This is a very very difficult subject but if you purely look at facts and figures and forget morals, then there are certain groups of people/society that take everything out a ''system''. A country or government or council can only run itself if it receives more money in from taxpayers than it pays out to claimants etc. There are without question, members of society that cost more than others. GrahamHarris
  • Score: 0

2:51pm Fri 10 May 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

People with disabilities, including partially sighted or blind or deaf people, those with mental health issues, those in care homes or nursing homes, those that make use of the police, fire and ambulance services some of which comes out of council tax and some from different council budgets. Where does one draw the line, I don't think it is right to put a price on any people or the use of services.
I have probably had more than my fair share from the council tax portion that goes towards the police service if we were counting costs.
You are right Ron, society should be protecting the vulnerable equally and not putting a price on any particular person or group by their personal needs.
People with disabilities, including partially sighted or blind or deaf people, those with mental health issues, those in care homes or nursing homes, those that make use of the police, fire and ambulance services some of which comes out of council tax and some from different council budgets. Where does one draw the line, I don't think it is right to put a price on any people or the use of services. I have probably had more than my fair share from the council tax portion that goes towards the police service if we were counting costs. You are right Ron, society should be protecting the vulnerable equally and not putting a price on any particular person or group by their personal needs. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 0

3:18pm Fri 10 May 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Graham Harris you say a country, government or council can only run itself if it receives more money from tax payers than it pays out to claimants, then maybe the government should stop giving millions of pounds to countries abroad and get its own country in order first.
Graham Harris you say a country, government or council can only run itself if it receives more money from tax payers than it pays out to claimants, then maybe the government should stop giving millions of pounds to countries abroad and get its own country in order first. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 0

7:38am Sun 12 May 13

titanium says...

I think you will find that over the next twelve months our Foreign Aid contribution will be over £10 billion.
An astronomical amount, considering all the cut-backs that are taking place in our own country.

My question is....what happened to all the billions we gave last, and the year before, and the year before that etc etc ?.

There doesn't appear to be any improvement in these countries. They just want more and more !. Where is it all going ?.
I think you will find that over the next twelve months our Foreign Aid contribution will be over £10 billion. An astronomical amount, considering all the cut-backs that are taking place in our own country. My question is....what happened to all the billions we gave last, and the year before, and the year before that etc etc ?. There doesn't appear to be any improvement in these countries. They just want more and more !. Where is it all going ?. titanium
  • Score: 0

8:03am Sun 12 May 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

titanium, as far as I see it, most of the work and improvements such as water aid, the supply of clean water, cows, goats, crops, medical aid etc are being supplied by Christain charities that raise their money themselves and Christian missionaries that go abroad to places like Zambia etc to physically help out.
I believe the billions the government give does not always reach the places it is meant for and is syphoned off by corrupt people within some of these countries and used to buy 'arms' with which to fight other counties.
This country has poverty and food banks, a post code lottery for certain health care including certain cancer treatment drugs, shortage of hospital services and nurses and hospital beds etc and yet still our government want to look good by giving billions abroad.
Local councils should not be kept short of cash for essential services from the government, there should be no debate on how much anyone costs the council for essential care.
I'll get off my soap box now.
titanium, as far as I see it, most of the work and improvements such as water aid, the supply of clean water, cows, goats, crops, medical aid etc are being supplied by Christain charities that raise their money themselves and Christian missionaries that go abroad to places like Zambia etc to physically help out. I believe the billions the government give does not always reach the places it is meant for and is syphoned off by corrupt people within some of these countries and used to buy 'arms' with which to fight other counties. This country has poverty and food banks, a post code lottery for certain health care including certain cancer treatment drugs, shortage of hospital services and nurses and hospital beds etc and yet still our government want to look good by giving billions abroad. Local councils should not be kept short of cash for essential services from the government, there should be no debate on how much anyone costs the council for essential care. I'll get off my soap box now. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 0

1:02pm Sun 12 May 13

titanium says...

GZM, you are entitled to get on your soapbox.

I would lend you mine, but I'm afraid it's worn out !!. lol
GZM, you are entitled to get on your soapbox. I would lend you mine, but I'm afraid it's worn out !!. lol titanium
  • Score: 0

1:09pm Sun 12 May 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Lol, I think mine has just fallen to bits.
Lol, I think mine has just fallen to bits. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree