Conservatives hit back at Helston College funds 'cruel hoax' claim

The Conservatives, gathering signatures in front of a large Conservative party banner, say the petition is not about 'party politics'

The Conservatives, gathering signatures in front of a large Conservative party banner, say the petition is not about 'party politics'

First published in News
Last updated

The Conservatives have hit back at claims that the previous cabinet at Cornwall Council played a “cruel hoax” on Helston Community College over a promised rebuild.

It follows an announcement from MP Andrew George that he was speaking to Schools Minister David Laws about the new cabinet not yet being able to find the £10 million agreed in principle a year ago, to fund the replacement of the college’s dilapidated C-block.

Mr George claimed “the previous council and its Tory leader had committed a cruel hoax on a college”.

However, Derek Thomas, parliamentary spokesman for the Conservative party in West Cornwall, who stood against Mr George at the last election, said: “It’s about political will, it’s not about the money. The council is big enough to fund the money. The last council had the political will that this council doesn’t seem to have.

“That’s what the petition is about. We’re not playing party politics; it’s about the council doing the right thing.”

College headteacher Dr Pat McGovern said this week that governors were providing Mr George with briefing papers ahead of a planned meeting with minister Mr Laws on September 12.

Dr McGovern told the Packet: “His initial reaction was something needed to be done now.”

In the past councillor Andrew Wallis, portfolio holder for Children and Young People and councillor for Porthleven and Helston west, has been quoted as saying that Helston was one of five schools in the county in a similar position that needed help from the council’s £6,886,597 grant from the government.

To fund £10million itself, the council would have to abandon one or a number of existing council schemes and look at larger areas of spending, such as repairing roads and providing houses for local people, while to borrow the money the average cost of repayment over 40 years would be £465,000 per annum or £800,000 over 25 years, he added.

Comments (23)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:37pm Thu 29 Aug 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

I was at Helston Community College yesterday at a blood donor session, while I was there I had an (unofficial) wander round the school, something certainly needs to be done and very soon. Could Cornwall Council not raise extra funds by not having a Councillors increase in allowances and cutting out the food allowance. I may be wrong but I thought the Councillors allowances were to be reassessed in September.
I was at Helston Community College yesterday at a blood donor session, while I was there I had an (unofficial) wander round the school, something certainly needs to be done and very soon. Could Cornwall Council not raise extra funds by not having a Councillors increase in allowances and cutting out the food allowance. I may be wrong but I thought the Councillors allowances were to be reassessed in September. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 9

11:18am Fri 30 Aug 13

ronedgcumbe says...

There needs to be a reassessment and the pepple that can pay more should poore. Cut backs in social care, and dilapidated schools with continued funding for libraries and museums ect leade to believe the cloth is not being cut quite right at the moment.
There needs to be a reassessment and the pepple that can pay more should poore. Cut backs in social care, and dilapidated schools with continued funding for libraries and museums ect leade to believe the cloth is not being cut quite right at the moment. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 14

11:21am Fri 30 Aug 13

ronedgcumbe says...

Sorry phone problem again. The people that can pay more should pay more.
Sorry phone problem again. The people that can pay more should pay more. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: -2

11:56am Fri 30 Aug 13

DCI Jen says...

ronedgcumbe, who do you mean should pay more ? Public or Cllrs ?
Reassess who ?
ronedgcumbe, who do you mean should pay more ? Public or Cllrs ? Reassess who ? DCI Jen
  • Score: -2

12:06pm Fri 30 Aug 13

DCI Jen says...

I agree with Gill, I think the Cllrs will inevitably get an increase in allowances.
The school does need something doing now, repair or something.
I agree with Gill, I think the Cllrs will inevitably get an increase in allowances. The school does need something doing now, repair or something. DCI Jen
  • Score: -13

2:11pm Fri 30 Aug 13

DCI Jen says...

I see as usual all those voting 'dislike' have nothing constructive to add themselves by way of comment. I agree with what meerkats put on another thread about the voting. Talking of reassessment, benefits should be reassessed as some that claim, can clearly afford to holiday in Spain.
The school could probably be re built with money spent on council tax benefit to those who can afford holidays. Council tax benefit is paid by CC.
I see as usual all those voting 'dislike' have nothing constructive to add themselves by way of comment. I agree with what meerkats put on another thread about the voting. Talking of reassessment, benefits should be reassessed as some that claim, can clearly afford to holiday in Spain. The school could probably be re built with money spent on council tax benefit to those who can afford holidays. Council tax benefit is paid by CC. DCI Jen
  • Score: -15

6:50pm Fri 30 Aug 13

Helston fly on the wall says...

Agree with you DCI Jen, some people have mentioned owning more than one computer in the past, and claiming household benefits, which could also account for multiple voting on here. Wonder if fred from helston votes!!!
I think the council should pay to sort the school out, were the council not going to invest some money in the stadium if it had gone ahead? could they not use that money?
Agree with you DCI Jen, some people have mentioned owning more than one computer in the past, and claiming household benefits, which could also account for multiple voting on here. Wonder if fred from helston votes!!! I think the council should pay to sort the school out, were the council not going to invest some money in the stadium if it had gone ahead? could they not use that money? Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: -10

6:58pm Fri 30 Aug 13

ronedgcumbe says...

I know with the cheap flights nowadays spain is much more affordable but a quick check on rates of benefits in this country will show you that too holiday there on benefits would be impossible. This is clearly just another urban myth being peddled.
I know with the cheap flights nowadays spain is much more affordable but a quick check on rates of benefits in this country will show you that too holiday there on benefits would be impossible. This is clearly just another urban myth being peddled. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 11

7:12pm Fri 30 Aug 13

DCI Jen says...

Some people that work still claim household benefits/allowances for different reasons. No urban myth.

Anyway Ronedgcumbe, I repeat my previous question to you, who should pay more? Who should be reassessed ? I reference your first comment.
Some people that work still claim household benefits/allowances for different reasons. No urban myth. Anyway Ronedgcumbe, I repeat my previous question to you, who should pay more? Who should be reassessed ? I reference your first comment. DCI Jen
  • Score: -10

7:29pm Fri 30 Aug 13

ronedgcumbe says...

People who can afford to pay more.The policy of making the poorest on means tested benefits pay counciil tax is clearly flawed. I personally would of been happy to pay a bit more councol tax to sort out our schools.
If your comment was aimed at me your confused as I do not personaly claim any benefits.
People who can afford to pay more.The policy of making the poorest on means tested benefits pay counciil tax is clearly flawed. I personally would of been happy to pay a bit more councol tax to sort out our schools. If your comment was aimed at me your confused as I do not personaly claim any benefits. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 12

7:50pm Fri 30 Aug 13

DCI Jen says...

No you "personally" may not claim benefits but some people still have household benefits coming in one way or another.

Anyway thank you for answering my question. I don't think many people would be happy to have an increase in council tax to fund a rebuild of a school when schools are already included in council tax, otherwise where do you draw the line, put the council tax up to fund the lack of money for the roads maintenance and put the council tax up to fund lack of money for social services etc. No it's not good enough, the council should not keep passing the buck for everything while they get mileage allowances etc when most people that work have to fund their own transport. Food allowances, when most people take their own food to work, bottled water!!!!!
No you "personally" may not claim benefits but some people still have household benefits coming in one way or another. Anyway thank you for answering my question. I don't think many people would be happy to have an increase in council tax to fund a rebuild of a school when schools are already included in council tax, otherwise where do you draw the line, put the council tax up to fund the lack of money for the roads maintenance and put the council tax up to fund lack of money for social services etc. No it's not good enough, the council should not keep passing the buck for everything while they get mileage allowances etc when most people that work have to fund their own transport. Food allowances, when most people take their own food to work, bottled water!!!!! DCI Jen
  • Score: -13

8:57am Sat 31 Aug 13

Helston fly on the wall says...

It is interesting that people have 'disliked' DCI Jens comment AGAINST a council tax increase and 'liked' ronedgecumbes comment FOR a council tax increase, so in 2014/15 when the council ARE planning a steep increase in council tax, presumably those that are 'for' it now, will be quite happy to pay and will not complain on this website, nor will they put 'dislike' on anyone's comment that says they are in favour of it!!!!!!!!
Of course it could be a case of what meerkats said previously, and people just see a name and put like or dislike, because ronedgecumbe has in fact made contradictory comments, he changes his mind like the wind I think, because it was not that long ago he was complaining about the possibility of a council tax increase. Any council tax increase will still mean an increase for those on benefits because they have to pay now.
As for me and all the other things that seemed to have been mentioned, I Don't get a carers allowance like some people do, which is still household income whether it's personal or not, I don't holiday in Spain, I don't holiday at all, I don't claim benefits and I'm far too old to care one jot how many 'dislikes' this comment attracts, because it is just a juvenile addition.
It is interesting that people have 'disliked' DCI Jens comment AGAINST a council tax increase and 'liked' ronedgecumbes comment FOR a council tax increase, so in 2014/15 when the council ARE planning a steep increase in council tax, presumably those that are 'for' it now, will be quite happy to pay and will not complain on this website, nor will they put 'dislike' on anyone's comment that says they are in favour of it!!!!!!!! Of course it could be a case of what meerkats said previously, and people just see a name and put like or dislike, because ronedgecumbe has in fact made contradictory comments, he changes his mind like the wind I think, because it was not that long ago he was complaining about the possibility of a council tax increase. Any council tax increase will still mean an increase for those on benefits because they have to pay now. As for me and all the other things that seemed to have been mentioned, I Don't get a carers allowance like some people do, which is still household income whether it's personal or not, I don't holiday in Spain, I don't holiday at all, I don't claim benefits and I'm far too old to care one jot how many 'dislikes' this comment attracts, because it is just a juvenile addition. Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: -10

9:11am Sat 31 Aug 13

ronedgcumbe says...

You seem very confused with the benefits system however I do agree with your point about about the free lunch culture.
If the cc are thinking again about giving themself a pay rise this would be wrong at the present time. Lets see some results first from this council.
Continued funding for libraries and museums while cutting the social care budget is wrong.
Anyway I am off to penzance might have a pub lunch while I am there and pick up a few holiday brochures.
You seem very confused with the benefits system however I do agree with your point about about the free lunch culture. If the cc are thinking again about giving themself a pay rise this would be wrong at the present time. Lets see some results first from this council. Continued funding for libraries and museums while cutting the social care budget is wrong. Anyway I am off to penzance might have a pub lunch while I am there and pick up a few holiday brochures. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 9

9:25am Sat 31 Aug 13

DCI Jen says...

Helston fly on the wall does not seem confused with the benefits system to me Ron, and its a good thing you didn't get elected because you clearly have no idea how to debate with anyone.
Helston fly on the wall does not seem confused with the benefits system to me Ron, and its a good thing you didn't get elected because you clearly have no idea how to debate with anyone. DCI Jen
  • Score: -12

9:28am Sat 31 Aug 13

DCI Jen says...

I see you won't be supporting Helston again either but Penzance. Next time your wingeing about footfall in Helston try supporting your own town.
I see you won't be supporting Helston again either but Penzance. Next time your wingeing about footfall in Helston try supporting your own town. DCI Jen
  • Score: -9

9:32am Sat 31 Aug 13

ronedgcumbe says...

Carers are paid a pitifully small amount work incredibly hard and save the taxpayers billions of pounds each year.Good heavens is there no one you do not have a problem with.
Carers are paid a pitifully small amount work incredibly hard and save the taxpayers billions of pounds each year.Good heavens is there no one you do not have a problem with. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 10

9:47am Sat 31 Aug 13

DCI Jen says...

DCI Jen wrote:
I see you won't be supporting Helston again either but Penzance. Next time your wingeing about footfall in Helston try supporting your own town.
I suggest you get your facts right Ron just for once. Where have I mentioned carers ? I think you will find nowhere.
In fact I can't see where anyone on this thread has mentioned carers.
[quote][p][bold]DCI Jen[/bold] wrote: I see you won't be supporting Helston again either but Penzance. Next time your wingeing about footfall in Helston try supporting your own town.[/p][/quote]I suggest you get your facts right Ron just for once. Where have I mentioned carers ? I think you will find nowhere. In fact I can't see where anyone on this thread has mentioned carers. DCI Jen
  • Score: -12

9:49am Sat 31 Aug 13

DCI Jen says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Carers are paid a pitifully small amount work incredibly hard and save the taxpayers billions of pounds each year.Good heavens is there no one you do not have a problem with.
Was meant to have quoted this comment of Rons with my last post.
Where have I or in fact anyone else on this thread mentioned carers ?
Cheap shots Ron I think on your part.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: Carers are paid a pitifully small amount work incredibly hard and save the taxpayers billions of pounds each year.Good heavens is there no one you do not have a problem with.[/p][/quote]Was meant to have quoted this comment of Rons with my last post. Where have I or in fact anyone else on this thread mentioned carers ? Cheap shots Ron I think on your part. DCI Jen
  • Score: -10

9:53am Sat 31 Aug 13

DCI Jen says...

I have just noticed Helston fly on the wall mentioned a carer in relation to themselves, in his/her post. I however, have not mentioned them at all, so kindly direct your cheap shots at the right person in future please Ron.
I have just noticed Helston fly on the wall mentioned a carer in relation to themselves, in his/her post. I however, have not mentioned them at all, so kindly direct your cheap shots at the right person in future please Ron. DCI Jen
  • Score: -8

10:00am Sat 31 Aug 13

DCI Jen says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Carers are paid a pitifully small amount work incredibly hard and save the taxpayers billions of pounds each year.Good heavens is there no one you do not have a problem with.
I don't have a problem with anyone except you, so once again you are wrong,. I certainly don't think you are Cllr material, you have no idea how to talk to people. In fact I think you just have no idea, full stop.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: Carers are paid a pitifully small amount work incredibly hard and save the taxpayers billions of pounds each year.Good heavens is there no one you do not have a problem with.[/p][/quote]I don't have a problem with anyone except you, so once again you are wrong,. I certainly don't think you are Cllr material, you have no idea how to talk to people. In fact I think you just have no idea, full stop. DCI Jen
  • Score: -10

11:00am Sat 31 Aug 13

DCI Jen says...

I shall not bother with your comments any more Ron, because it is my view that you are more interested in yourself than doing what is right for Helston, the town the schools the libraries the museum etc, first you claim support for the museum now you claim disagreement with any funding, and yet it is being run now by an independent group. You were a bad loser at the election, for weeks after, you went on about how you thought the voting system was wrong and you should have been elected, and ever since then I think you have taken every opportunity to pick fault with the TC and the BIP, you boasted you are well respected in the town, I think people that boast are deplorable. I have lots of faults but I would not carry on as you do, I am not a Cllr nor stood to be. I think you just say what you believe will make you popular at the time as opposed to sticking to any real principles.
Resorting to sarcasm I don't believe is the answer either, or deliberately trying to wind people up. If you want to be a Cllr you will need to be able to take criticism without being sarcastic and you will need to get on with all walks of life. In the past you stated words to the effect that Helston should be taken back/run by Helston people and when asked what exactly you meant, you never replied. All the articles are still in the Packet archives.
I shall not bother with your comments any more Ron, because it is my view that you are more interested in yourself than doing what is right for Helston, the town the schools the libraries the museum etc, first you claim support for the museum now you claim disagreement with any funding, and yet it is being run now by an independent group. You were a bad loser at the election, for weeks after, you went on about how you thought the voting system was wrong and you should have been elected, and ever since then I think you have taken every opportunity to pick fault with the TC and the BIP, you boasted you are well respected in the town, I think people that boast are deplorable. I have lots of faults but I would not carry on as you do, I am not a Cllr nor stood to be. I think you just say what you believe will make you popular at the time as opposed to sticking to any real principles. Resorting to sarcasm I don't believe is the answer either, or deliberately trying to wind people up. If you want to be a Cllr you will need to be able to take criticism without being sarcastic and you will need to get on with all walks of life. In the past you stated words to the effect that Helston should be taken back/run by Helston people and when asked what exactly you meant, you never replied. All the articles are still in the Packet archives. DCI Jen
  • Score: -13

11:18am Sat 31 Aug 13

Helston fly on the wall says...

ronedgcumbe, I was the one that mentioned I don't get a carers allowance, I was talking about me because I am elderly, DCI Jen only mentioned Council Tax benefits I believe. I gathered she was making the point about Council Tax benefit because it is paid by the council budget and they need money for the rebuild of the school, that was all. If you are plugging for the sympathy vote then sorry dear but it doesn't work with me, we all have our problems in life.
ronedgcumbe, I was the one that mentioned I don't get a carers allowance, I was talking about me because I am elderly, DCI Jen only mentioned Council Tax benefits I believe. I gathered she was making the point about Council Tax benefit because it is paid by the council budget and they need money for the rebuild of the school, that was all. If you are plugging for the sympathy vote then sorry dear but it doesn't work with me, we all have our problems in life. Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: -13

8:17pm Sat 31 Aug 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

In fairness to Ron, I personally see nothing wrong if he changes his mind about any issues, I change my mind, especially if I look at something from a different view point or if circumstances change around an issue.
At one time I would have been in favour of a rise in Councillors allowances in order to give those financially unable to do so the chance to stand for Councillor, however, given the financial circumstances at the present, my view for the time being has changed.
I additionally believe benefits are irrelevant to the lack of funding for the school. Lack of government funding is the biggest problem and Cornwall Council need to find a way round this to resolve the problem with Helston Community College. Investment is needed for the future of young people's education.
I personally feel Helston is treated financially poorly in comparison with Truro.
In fairness to Ron, I personally see nothing wrong if he changes his mind about any issues, I change my mind, especially if I look at something from a different view point or if circumstances change around an issue. At one time I would have been in favour of a rise in Councillors allowances in order to give those financially unable to do so the chance to stand for Councillor, however, given the financial circumstances at the present, my view for the time being has changed. I additionally believe benefits are irrelevant to the lack of funding for the school. Lack of government funding is the biggest problem and Cornwall Council need to find a way round this to resolve the problem with Helston Community College. Investment is needed for the future of young people's education. I personally feel Helston is treated financially poorly in comparison with Truro. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 6

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree