Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting PKNEWS to 80360
Redruth Mining and Pasty Festival: What's on the menu?
9:45am Wednesday 4th September 2013 in News
The Mining & Pasty Festival is a three-day event celebrating the UNESCO World Heritage Site in Redruth – through pasties, mining and great music. The event is focussed around the town centre and is completely free to attend.
The main Pasty Day (Saturday, September 7) will this year be opened at 10am by television chef and environmentalist James Strawbridge and Marion Symonds (as seen on Britain’s Best Bakery – ITV1) in a live recording for the Cornwall TV Channel.
The event also sees performances by Tex-Mex band Los Pacaminos, featuring 80s pop sensation Paul Young. Local great-grandmother Eunice Woolcock, who sprung to fame with her larger-than-life personality, and exceptional crimping skills, on ITVs Food Glorious Food, will be joined by Elaine Ead, as seen on BBC’s The Fixer.
On the menu: Friday, September 6:
- Miner’s Day n Street Theatre from 3pm in Fore Street. A new play, written about the true story of the miner who sold his wife and emigrated, will be performed by drama students from Redruth School.
- Public service by Rev Amanda Stevens in the afternoon
- An intriguing display of Cornish mining photographs and archives and art exhibition featuring mining landscapes by Yvonne Carter – all day. Plus experts from East Pool Mine with artefacts 3pm to 5pm. All at the Cornish Studies Library.
- Art and craft exhibition and sale at the former Art and Graphics shop next to the Tinner’s Hounds – On all weekend.
- Vivienne Orchard (paintings in Oils, acrylics and mixed media) n Agnieszka Niesluchowska (indoor and outdoor ceramic forms) n Jo Mcintosh (Artwork in mixed media and textiles)
Saturday, September 7 – Pasty Day 10am onwards:
- The town centre will be lined with high-quality Cornish food and drink stalls. See how many different pasty fillings you can try!
- Back by popular demand the free “make your own pasty” activity! At the former Boots shop near the main stage. 10am-2pm.
- Pick up an Oggy Treasure Trail for just 25p and receive a gift at the end. Can you answer all 10 questions correctly? There are special prizes for two lucky winners at 4pm.
- Live music on the main stage in order of appearance from 10am: Evco Acoustic, The Scarecrows, The Money Shot, Black Top Deluxe, Hanterhir n Street entertainment at the Tinners Hounds/Tatie Court: 11am Boekka and Penkevyll (with the famous ‘Oss). 12pm and 1.30pm Aberfal Oggymen. 12.50pm Stamp and Go. 3pm Pirates of St Piran.
- New children’s fair at Flowerpot Chapel car park featuring: Surf simulator, archery, ponies, bouncy castle, pillow wars and many more.
- Meet the celebrities at the cooking demonstrations; featuring James Strawbridge, Paul Young, Eunice Woolcock, Marion Symonds and Elaine Ead; all at St Rumon’s Club.
- Crafty Pasties – children’s crafts 10am to 2pm. Exhibitions continuing from Friday plus display of original documents from the Cornwall Record Office on the history of pasty making throughout the day – all at the Cornish Studies Library.
- Refreshments and displays at Murdoch House, including exhibitions from pasty making firms, and a talk by a local producer at 2pm.
- •Live entertainment at St Rumon’s Club: 12pm St Aubyn Singers. 2pm Illogan Sparnon Silver Band. 9.30pm The Bubble – 70s/80s new wave, pop and punk.
- Get yourself a brand new pasty festival keyring, and look out for free pasty festival badges.
- Real Del Monte. Look out for Mexican musicians over the weekend who have come to serenade festival visitors in the street.
Sunday, September 8 – Memorial Day – 10am onwards:
- 10am Pilgrimage from Bassett Stamp House to St Euny Church via Wheal Euny.
- 11am Remembering in the churchyards and in church.
- 11.30 In St Euny Church: The Redruth Community Choir bring Remembering in Song. Music from official Mexican visitors. Demonstration of Cornish Dance. Exhibition of paintings and photographs.
- 12.30 Pasty lunch (order in advance – contact the Rev Olive Stevens 01209 842372).
- 3pm Remembering again: A talk by Mr Alan Buckley and Cream Teas.
ALSO ON SUNDAY!
- Redruth Fun day – afternoon of music, performances and fair stalls at Victoria Park (TR15 2HQ). Refreshments, beer tent, bouncy castle, go karts and more. Run by Redruth Lions, opened by the Mayor of Redruth at midday.
- Los Pacaminos featuring Paul Young live in concert, 7pm The Zone Nightclub. Tickets £14, book online: lospacaminospastyfestival.eventbrite.com – tel: 01209 210038 Redruth is easily accessible by car and public transport.
Download the free Visit Redruth app, including interactive map at the Redruth Town Council website.
The Mining and Pasty Festival is organised by a community working group led by Redruth Town Council. It is a non-profit community event. With thanks to our sponsors and partners for their support. For more information please contact Lee Dunkley, Community Partnership Officer, on 01209 210038 or email@example.com
Comments are closed on this article.