Helston council refuses full funding for traders' town centre 'base'

Helston council refuses full funding for traders' town centre 'base'

Helston council refuses full funding for traders' town centre 'base'

First published in News

Helston’s traders have been given just under £22,000 to open a base in the town centre – but they say they might as well have been granted nothing at all.

After a long debate last Thursday the town’s councillors agreed to pay the £7,250 set up costs and one year’s running costs of £14,603.

They would then review in six months’ time whether to give the requested second year running costs.

However, the Helston Business Improvement Partnership has said that without the full £36,456 sum from the offset the money is almost worthless, as not having a guarantee they will get the money leaves them unable to secure a premises.

It also means they are unable to employ a BID development officer on a two-year contract, as he could have nowhere to work.

A spokesperson said: “The HBIP are disappointed with Helston Town Council’s decision on the premise proposal but we will work with them to ensure a viable result for all parties in regards to this funding request.”

It is hoped that a plan of action is now in place to resolve the matter in the next couple of months.

As reported by the Packet last week, the partnership wants a base in the town centre to store equipment such as projectors, leaflets and high visibility vests, as well as provide a central location for employees such as the market warden and soon to be recruited BID development officer.

It applied for £36,456 of the remaining Section 106 money given by Tesco and Sainsbury’s and had hoped the office would start running in October, with 69 Meneage Street – the former BeGorgeous Boutique – as the proposed premises.

Members were reluctant to hand over that amount of money after being told by town clerk Chris Dawson it was more than half the remaining town centre management budget, which currently stands at between £50,000 and £60,000.

Ronnie Williams described this amount as “a joke”, saying: “What have we achieved so far?”

Martine Knight was concerned that it would leave a “relatively small amount” – particularly for any projects that the yet-to-be-appointed BID development officer wanted to carry out.

Yet John Martin believed the momentum needed to be continued and a logoed premises “should be encouraged.”

Justine Hornsby agreed, saying she believed the figure was “value for money” for two years’ running.

However, Nicola Boase thought it seemed “rather a lot of money” and feared that the additional uses proposed – such as giving out tourist information and acting as a box office for events – would take trade from other businesses in the town that already carried out this role.

John Boase suggested the council give the £7,250 set up costs and half the annual running costs, explaining: “I would like to see them get going and make a go of it. This money was there to attract match funding – I haven’t see any match funding yet.”

A subsequent amendment by Ms Hornsby, that the council give £21,853 and review it in six months to transfer the remainder, was agreed by members on a majority vote.

Comments (41)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:24am Wed 25 Sep 13

telstar1962 says...

I think the Town Council's decision seems perfectly fair.

My previous views that the 'magic money tree' cannot last forever, and to give the Traders their chance to find say, £10 a week each to go towards the next £20,000, could be a solution.

Isn't that how applying for BID status works. Get number 69 open, and success will follow. The culture of applying for each and every grant going, needs to be tempered by a little bit extra of your own financial input.
I think the Town Council's decision seems perfectly fair. My previous views that the 'magic money tree' cannot last forever, and to give the Traders their chance to find say, £10 a week each to go towards the next £20,000, could be a solution. Isn't that how applying for BID status works. Get number 69 open, and success will follow. The culture of applying for each and every grant going, needs to be tempered by a little bit extra of your own financial input. telstar1962
  • Score: 18

9:28am Wed 25 Sep 13

southseabubble says...

Sadly I wonder if we will ever see any of our S106 funds going on anything but admin. on the council gravy train. Tc's need to release their grip while threre is still somethig left in the pot.
Sadly I wonder if we will ever see any of our S106 funds going on anything but admin. on the council gravy train. Tc's need to release their grip while threre is still somethig left in the pot. southseabubble
  • Score: 5

2:16pm Wed 25 Sep 13

PR Helston says...

What exactly did Cllr Nicola Boase mean by "if it gives out tourist information and acts as a box office, it would take trade away from other businesses that already do this in the town" Where else is there a tourist information office easily accessible in the town? in fact where else is there a tourist information office at all? apart from a few leaflets in the one stop shop tucked away right down Coinage Ope alley. How does it take trade away from businesses? people do not sell tourist information. How would anyone currently know which shops could give tourist information? even if entering a shop for information, it does not ensure anyone would purchase anything from the shop, so where is loss of trade relevant? If Cllr Nicola Boase is against the idea of funding for a base for the BIP in the town centre, please could she at least come up with a relevant objection.
What exactly did Cllr Nicola Boase mean by "if it gives out tourist information and acts as a box office, it would take trade away from other businesses that already do this in the town" Where else is there a tourist information office easily accessible in the town? in fact where else is there a tourist information office at all? apart from a few leaflets in the one stop shop tucked away right down Coinage Ope alley. How does it take trade away from businesses? people do not sell tourist information. How would anyone currently know which shops could give tourist information? even if entering a shop for information, it does not ensure anyone would purchase anything from the shop, so where is loss of trade relevant? If Cllr Nicola Boase is against the idea of funding for a base for the BIP in the town centre, please could she at least come up with a relevant objection. PR Helston
  • Score: -12

2:49pm Wed 25 Sep 13

PR Helston says...

Has Cllr J Boase and Cllr N Boase opened their shop yet, the one that they seemed quite happy to receive a grant for from money allocated by the BIP, that originated from the TC 106 money?
Has Cllr J Boase and Cllr N Boase opened their shop yet, the one that they seemed quite happy to receive a grant for from money allocated by the BIP, that originated from the TC 106 money? PR Helston
  • Score: 35

3:48pm Wed 25 Sep 13

meerkats says...

PR Helston wrote:
Has Cllr J Boase and Cllr N Boase opened their shop yet, the one that they seemed quite happy to receive a grant for from money allocated by the BIP, that originated from the TC 106 money?
Where is their proposed shop going to be and what will they be selling does anyone know.? have heard several times that they have purchased a shop in the town but no further info or anything seems to come of it.
[quote][p][bold]PR Helston[/bold] wrote: Has Cllr J Boase and Cllr N Boase opened their shop yet, the one that they seemed quite happy to receive a grant for from money allocated by the BIP, that originated from the TC 106 money?[/p][/quote]Where is their proposed shop going to be and what will they be selling does anyone know.? have heard several times that they have purchased a shop in the town but no further info or anything seems to come of it. meerkats
  • Score: 5

4:32pm Wed 25 Sep 13

PR Helston says...

meerkats wrote:
PR Helston wrote:
Has Cllr J Boase and Cllr N Boase opened their shop yet, the one that they seemed quite happy to receive a grant for from money allocated by the BIP, that originated from the TC 106 money?
Where is their proposed shop going to be and what will they be selling does anyone know.? have heard several times that they have purchased a shop in the town but no further info or anything seems to come of it.
It was one of the previously closed shops in Meneage St, I don't think grant money from the BIP should have been awarded until after the shop was open. If the building sits there and deteriorates and the shop does not open and then eventually gets new tenants or owners then will they also expect a grant ? More to the point, I don't think Cllr Boase should have applied for grant money until he had opened the shop., The grant money from the BIP was 106 money from the TC. I am open minded about the BIP but do have questions about the money.

Another question I would like to raise, I think on the website for the BIP, Cllr Wallis is a member, now as a member of the BIP and a Cornwall Cllr, I think he should issue a statement/opinion about the money being spent and not just sit on the fence. I was in favour of the regeneration officers but no longer am having read the above article, as now the BIP has said there will be nowhere for a BID officer to work from if they don't get this full grant money for a town base, as they claim they couldn't take a BID officer on a two year contract if he had nowhere to work from, that seems strange, as where did the original Town Manager work from?
[quote][p][bold]meerkats[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]PR Helston[/bold] wrote: Has Cllr J Boase and Cllr N Boase opened their shop yet, the one that they seemed quite happy to receive a grant for from money allocated by the BIP, that originated from the TC 106 money?[/p][/quote]Where is their proposed shop going to be and what will they be selling does anyone know.? have heard several times that they have purchased a shop in the town but no further info or anything seems to come of it.[/p][/quote]It was one of the previously closed shops in Meneage St, I don't think grant money from the BIP should have been awarded until after the shop was open. If the building sits there and deteriorates and the shop does not open and then eventually gets new tenants or owners then will they also expect a grant ? More to the point, I don't think Cllr Boase should have applied for grant money until he had opened the shop., The grant money from the BIP was 106 money from the TC. I am open minded about the BIP but do have questions about the money. Another question I would like to raise, I think on the website for the BIP, Cllr Wallis is a member, now as a member of the BIP and a Cornwall Cllr, I think he should issue a statement/opinion about the money being spent and not just sit on the fence. I was in favour of the regeneration officers but no longer am having read the above article, as now the BIP has said there will be nowhere for a BID officer to work from if they don't get this full grant money for a town base, as they claim they couldn't take a BID officer on a two year contract if he had nowhere to work from, that seems strange, as where did the original Town Manager work from? PR Helston
  • Score: 3

5:40pm Wed 25 Sep 13

ronedgcumbe says...

Its a shame a compromise was reached as £22.000 could still be spent on this. Why would you publicise the bid officer position without the means to accommodate his office. Would be very interested to see a complete break down of the start up expenses as they seem a bit high.
Well done HTC for hopefully at last stopping this spending.
Its a shame a compromise was reached as £22.000 could still be spent on this. Why would you publicise the bid officer position without the means to accommodate his office. Would be very interested to see a complete break down of the start up expenses as they seem a bit high. Well done HTC for hopefully at last stopping this spending. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 15

8:35pm Wed 25 Sep 13

josephjones says...

I find it truly incredible that after two years of this incompetent fool being Mayor, and creating an enormous divide between Helston Council and the business community, he and his wife are allowed any input at all on such an important project. The previous council after loser boase was finally ejected, worked very hard to re-establish an excellent working relationship with the newly formed HBIP, and they have made massive progress. For Ronnie Williams to say ten of thousands of pounds is a joke shows how totally out of touch he is and how he really is not able to grasp what is going on around him.
I remember reading about boase new shop, opening soon, and the fact they got some of the 106 money themselves. Surely they should have opened the shop before getting the money.
I am afraid a combination of the old guard and the new councillors who are busy telling us to learn cornish is really a toxic combination for Helston.
This council is against an excellent business driven organisation, and I am afraid this lack of support will cause many of them to say stuff you, I am a volunteer and if you cannot support your own Town, why should I.
I also see the council dont have any suggestions on what the money should be spent on. I guess they just want the time to expire without using the money, and then pay it back to the supermarkets.
A VERY BLACK DAY FOR HELSTON WHEN THESE IDIOTS BEHAVE LIKE THIS. TIME FOR SOME TO CONSIDER THEIR POSITION AND MOVE ASIDE FOR THOSE THAT ACTUALLY HAVE A CLUE WHAT THEY ARE DOING.
I find it truly incredible that after two years of this incompetent fool being Mayor, and creating an enormous divide between Helston Council and the business community, he and his wife are allowed any input at all on such an important project. The previous council after loser boase was finally ejected, worked very hard to re-establish an excellent working relationship with the newly formed HBIP, and they have made massive progress. For Ronnie Williams to say ten of thousands of pounds is a joke shows how totally out of touch he is and how he really is not able to grasp what is going on around him. I remember reading about boase new shop, opening soon, and the fact they got some of the 106 money themselves. Surely they should have opened the shop before getting the money. I am afraid a combination of the old guard and the new councillors who are busy telling us to learn cornish is really a toxic combination for Helston. This council is against an excellent business driven organisation, and I am afraid this lack of support will cause many of them to say stuff you, I am a volunteer and if you cannot support your own Town, why should I. I also see the council dont have any suggestions on what the money should be spent on. I guess they just want the time to expire without using the money, and then pay it back to the supermarkets. A VERY BLACK DAY FOR HELSTON WHEN THESE IDIOTS BEHAVE LIKE THIS. TIME FOR SOME TO CONSIDER THEIR POSITION AND MOVE ASIDE FOR THOSE THAT ACTUALLY HAVE A CLUE WHAT THEY ARE DOING. josephjones
  • Score: 16

10:26pm Wed 25 Sep 13

ronedgcumbe says...

Sorry but its called democracy and we all had our say last may. No has been elected to the hbib. Its our elected officials who will have to explain just where all this money has gone. Hanging baskets and unwanted market stalls are not good enough.
Sorry but its called democracy and we all had our say last may. No has been elected to the hbib. Its our elected officials who will have to explain just where all this money has gone. Hanging baskets and unwanted market stalls are not good enough. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 14

11:53am Thu 26 Sep 13

TheOriginaDelboy says...

I'm not going to explain everything in relation to this story because people make it up bits they want to anyway but,

@Josepthjones: Just to correct you on a point, the current Mayor and his wife have been incredibly supportive of the HBIP and everything we do. The Mayoress is the chair of the marketing team and has spent months putting together the soon to be launched visithelston.com website.

This proposal would have gone through if the Mayor was allowed to vote on it but due to his wife being a director of the HBIP he was not allowed to vote. The current Mayor, previous to becoming Mayor was also one of two Helston Town Councillor was sat on the HBIP board and help direct us in our first year and had to step down to become Mayor.

Most of the new Councillors were supportive of this proposal because they could see it would carry Helston to the point of becoming a BID district in two years which would give the HBIP a future in supporting local businesses.

I'll take this opportunity to thank you Joseph for your support for the HBIP and the work you have done and anyone else who has shown support.

I see Ron is still sitting on the golden egg. Clearly he has all the answers to the world recession and still doesn't want to share this information. You've spent two years telling us we are doing things wrong, yet you give us no suggestions on how to help town? Don't mention parking as you know Helston Council have no control.
I'm not going to explain everything in relation to this story because people make it up bits they want to anyway but, @Josepthjones: Just to correct you on a point, the current Mayor and his wife have been incredibly supportive of the HBIP and everything we do. The Mayoress is the chair of the marketing team and has spent months putting together the soon to be launched visithelston.com website. This proposal would have gone through if the Mayor was allowed to vote on it but due to his wife being a director of the HBIP he was not allowed to vote. The current Mayor, previous to becoming Mayor was also one of two Helston Town Councillor was sat on the HBIP board and help direct us in our first year and had to step down to become Mayor. Most of the new Councillors were supportive of this proposal because they could see it would carry Helston to the point of becoming a BID district in two years which would give the HBIP a future in supporting local businesses. I'll take this opportunity to thank you Joseph for your support for the HBIP and the work you have done and anyone else who has shown support. I see Ron is still sitting on the golden egg. Clearly he has all the answers to the world recession and still doesn't want to share this information. You've spent two years telling us we are doing things wrong, yet you give us no suggestions on how to help town? Don't mention parking as you know Helston Council have no control. TheOriginaDelboy
  • Score: -18

8:55pm Thu 26 Sep 13

DCI Jen says...

Why don't all those that don't agree with what the TC or BIP actually do or don't do, go and see the Mayor/ head of council and tell him what ideas they have and how they could be put into action and discuss what they disagree with, instead of just keep moaning on this website or pressing the thumbs down, for those that have said they receive no email replies, how about pick up the phone and make an appointment with the Mayor.
I would be interested to know how many people have actually bothered to speak to the Mayor instead of hiding behind their user names on this website moaning. JosephJones and Delboy seem to be the only ones on this thread that actually do something good to help.
I agree with Gills letter in the Packet, that all things considered, she still thinks the BIP should be supported completely.
Don't worry about the 'dislikes' Delboy, I dont, because at the end of the day the pathetic thumbs remain on this website, while out in the real world in Helston, decent people will continue to make Helston a better place by supporting things one way or another.
I'm not commenting on articles anymore on the principle of the voting, its a joke because you can multiple vote. I've multiple voted thumbs up for Delboy and JosephJones.
Once again I notice on another article meerkats got thumbs down for no proper reason so ill leave you all to it, its made the website childish I think, I won't even be reading it anymore.,
Why don't all those that don't agree with what the TC or BIP actually do or don't do, go and see the Mayor/ head of council and tell him what ideas they have and how they could be put into action and discuss what they disagree with, instead of just keep moaning on this website or pressing the thumbs down, for those that have said they receive no email replies, how about pick up the phone and make an appointment with the Mayor. I would be interested to know how many people have actually bothered to speak to the Mayor instead of hiding behind their user names on this website moaning. JosephJones and Delboy seem to be the only ones on this thread that actually do something good to help. I agree with Gills letter in the Packet, that all things considered, she still thinks the BIP should be supported completely. Don't worry about the 'dislikes' Delboy, I dont, because at the end of the day the pathetic thumbs remain on this website, while out in the real world in Helston, decent people will continue to make Helston a better place by supporting things one way or another. I'm not commenting on articles anymore on the principle of the voting, its a joke because you can multiple vote. I've multiple voted thumbs up for Delboy and JosephJones. Once again I notice on another article meerkats got thumbs down for no proper reason so ill leave you all to it, its made the website childish I think, I won't even be reading it anymore., DCI Jen
  • Score: -11

9:15pm Thu 26 Sep 13

HelstonEagle says...

Interesting.

What I would be interested to know is how all this Section 106 money has been spent? So, Tesco's and Sainbury's gave Helston Town Council £800,000 to mitigate the negative effective their development was going to have on the town centre? So, if the Council are saying there's only £50-60,000 left in the pot....

What has the best part of £740,000 been spent on?

Ok, I remember an article about the HBIP getting £90k last year to spend on projects... I haveto say, the town is looking great. Best I've seen it in a long time. I hear a website for visitors is coming soon, the hanging baskets, the shop front scheme (which a couple of councillors have taken advantage of too) and... There may be other stuff, but I'm sure it says it all on the HBIP website somewhere? Although I can't find it?

Plus, in the Boase administration we've seen Town Centre Manager Mark 1: Richard deanery - he didn't last long? We've seen Town Centre Manager Mark 2: Jonathan Birchett. Now there's a regeneration offer? And an advertisement for a replace town centre manager?

My simple mind says the Helston Town Council has spent a lot of money on administration and that's it? Nothing tangible? At least the HBIP are showing what you get for their allocated money?

I'm am confused though? If there's only £60k left in the pot.. Surely it hasn't all been spent on administration to push some paperwork around and nothing to show for it? I'd like to see a breakdown on expenditure?

Will Helston ever make it to BID? When the money runs out, then what?
Interesting. What I would be interested to know is how all this Section 106 money has been spent? So, Tesco's and Sainbury's gave Helston Town Council £800,000 to mitigate the negative effective their development was going to have on the town centre? So, if the Council are saying there's only £50-60,000 left in the pot.... What has the best part of £740,000 been spent on? Ok, I remember an article about the HBIP getting £90k last year to spend on projects... I haveto say, the town is looking great. Best I've seen it in a long time. I hear a website for visitors is coming soon, the hanging baskets, the shop front scheme (which a couple of councillors have taken advantage of too) and... There may be other stuff, but I'm sure it says it all on the HBIP website somewhere? Although I can't find it? Plus, in the Boase administration we've seen Town Centre Manager Mark 1: Richard deanery - he didn't last long? We've seen Town Centre Manager Mark 2: Jonathan Birchett. Now there's a regeneration offer? And an advertisement for a replace town centre manager? My simple mind says the Helston Town Council has spent a lot of money on administration and that's it? Nothing tangible? At least the HBIP are showing what you get for their allocated money? I'm am confused though? If there's only £60k left in the pot.. Surely it hasn't all been spent on administration to push some paperwork around and nothing to show for it? I'd like to see a breakdown on expenditure? Will Helston ever make it to BID? When the money runs out, then what? HelstonEagle
  • Score: 7

9:47pm Thu 26 Sep 13

Helston Observer says...

Helston Eagle, I can answer your question to some extent, as I too thought along these lines, and made a few inquiries of people I trust. Of the £760k odd originally received, £260k odd is set aside for what they call public realm works, that being actual physical improvements to the town. When they say £60k is left, what they mean is that is the money left from the town centre management segment of the money, after setting aside money that will be needed to pay for projects already started. None of the public realm works have been started, so to my reckoning, there is around £310 - £320k still left not earmarked for anything. The cost to complete the visit Helston website, hanging baskets, shop front grants, town guide, and all the other stuff they have started, is also taken into account when quoting those figures, so it's actually nowhere near the figures you quote. Delboy, you seem to have facts and figures at your fingertips, please correct me if I am wrong, but I am fairly certain I am right.
Helston Eagle, I can answer your question to some extent, as I too thought along these lines, and made a few inquiries of people I trust. Of the £760k odd originally received, £260k odd is set aside for what they call public realm works, that being actual physical improvements to the town. When they say £60k is left, what they mean is that is the money left from the town centre management segment of the money, after setting aside money that will be needed to pay for projects already started. None of the public realm works have been started, so to my reckoning, there is around £310 - £320k still left not earmarked for anything. The cost to complete the visit Helston website, hanging baskets, shop front grants, town guide, and all the other stuff they have started, is also taken into account when quoting those figures, so it's actually nowhere near the figures you quote. Delboy, you seem to have facts and figures at your fingertips, please correct me if I am wrong, but I am fairly certain I am right. Helston Observer
  • Score: -12

7:55am Fri 27 Sep 13

ronedgcumbe says...

TheOriginaDelboy wrote:
I'm not going to explain everything in relation to this story because people make it up bits they want to anyway but,

@Josepthjones: Just to correct you on a point, the current Mayor and his wife have been incredibly supportive of the HBIP and everything we do. The Mayoress is the chair of the marketing team and has spent months putting together the soon to be launched visithelston.com website.

This proposal would have gone through if the Mayor was allowed to vote on it but due to his wife being a director of the HBIP he was not allowed to vote. The current Mayor, previous to becoming Mayor was also one of two Helston Town Councillor was sat on the HBIP board and help direct us in our first year and had to step down to become Mayor.

Most of the new Councillors were supportive of this proposal because they could see it would carry Helston to the point of becoming a BID district in two years which would give the HBIP a future in supporting local businesses.

I'll take this opportunity to thank you Joseph for your support for the HBIP and the work you have done and anyone else who has shown support.

I see Ron is still sitting on the golden egg. Clearly he has all the answers to the world recession and still doesn't want to share this information. You've spent two years telling us we are doing things wrong, yet you give us no suggestions on how to help town? Don't mention parking as you know Helston Council have no control.
Thanks for asking for help. The problems with the town centre are vast and hugely dependent on outside conditions. However a long term plan to help stem the exodus money to neighbouring towns needs to be established.
I am afraid I do not have a short term solution to the town centre as the premises there seem unattractive to the larger retailer.
As for the hbip my first bit of advice would be stop handing out the town money to landlords.
[quote][p][bold]TheOriginaDelboy[/bold] wrote: I'm not going to explain everything in relation to this story because people make it up bits they want to anyway but, @Josepthjones: Just to correct you on a point, the current Mayor and his wife have been incredibly supportive of the HBIP and everything we do. The Mayoress is the chair of the marketing team and has spent months putting together the soon to be launched visithelston.com website. This proposal would have gone through if the Mayor was allowed to vote on it but due to his wife being a director of the HBIP he was not allowed to vote. The current Mayor, previous to becoming Mayor was also one of two Helston Town Councillor was sat on the HBIP board and help direct us in our first year and had to step down to become Mayor. Most of the new Councillors were supportive of this proposal because they could see it would carry Helston to the point of becoming a BID district in two years which would give the HBIP a future in supporting local businesses. I'll take this opportunity to thank you Joseph for your support for the HBIP and the work you have done and anyone else who has shown support. I see Ron is still sitting on the golden egg. Clearly he has all the answers to the world recession and still doesn't want to share this information. You've spent two years telling us we are doing things wrong, yet you give us no suggestions on how to help town? Don't mention parking as you know Helston Council have no control.[/p][/quote]Thanks for asking for help. The problems with the town centre are vast and hugely dependent on outside conditions. However a long term plan to help stem the exodus money to neighbouring towns needs to be established. I am afraid I do not have a short term solution to the town centre as the premises there seem unattractive to the larger retailer. As for the hbip my first bit of advice would be stop handing out the town money to landlords. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 20

8:13am Fri 27 Sep 13

PR Helston says...

Ronedgcumbe, the long term plan is to establish a BID, so you clearly don't have any answers for the short or long term, and the BIP is no longer handing out grants. Never mind your first bit of advice, where's all your advice and plans ? You return some words once given out on here, you are out of your depth.
Ronedgcumbe, the long term plan is to establish a BID, so you clearly don't have any answers for the short or long term, and the BIP is no longer handing out grants. Never mind your first bit of advice, where's all your advice and plans ? You return some words once given out on here, you are out of your depth. PR Helston
  • Score: -13

8:25am Fri 27 Sep 13

PR Helston says...

Like I said in a previous post, I am open minded about the BIP and willing to be informed, like I think many people are, we have questions but are willing to be open minded, you however ronedgcumbe appear to have a closed mind and yet you clearly do not have any better positive input to apply. What have you done for Helston I wonder.
Like I said in a previous post, I am open minded about the BIP and willing to be informed, like I think many people are, we have questions but are willing to be open minded, you however ronedgcumbe appear to have a closed mind and yet you clearly do not have any better positive input to apply. What have you done for Helston I wonder. PR Helston
  • Score: -16

8:52am Fri 27 Sep 13

ronedgcumbe says...

PR Helston wrote:
Ronedgcumbe, the long term plan is to establish a BID, so you clearly don't have any answers for the short or long term, and the BIP is no longer handing out grants. Never mind your first bit of advice, where's all your advice and plans ? You return some words once given out on here, you are out of your depth.
If town traders vote for a bid than good luck to them and I hope its a huge success. However my personal opinion would be that increasing rates would put possible retailors off investing in the town.
[quote][p][bold]PR Helston[/bold] wrote: Ronedgcumbe, the long term plan is to establish a BID, so you clearly don't have any answers for the short or long term, and the BIP is no longer handing out grants. Never mind your first bit of advice, where's all your advice and plans ? You return some words once given out on here, you are out of your depth.[/p][/quote]If town traders vote for a bid than good luck to them and I hope its a huge success. However my personal opinion would be that increasing rates would put possible retailors off investing in the town. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 19

6:43am Sat 28 Sep 13

helztonboy says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Sorry but its called democracy and we all had our say last may. No has been elected to the hbib. Its our elected officials who will have to explain just where all this money has gone. Hanging baskets and unwanted market stalls are not good enough.
is this the democracy you complained about when you were not elected??

Also, the BIP directors are elected by the BIP members
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: Sorry but its called democracy and we all had our say last may. No has been elected to the hbib. Its our elected officials who will have to explain just where all this money has gone. Hanging baskets and unwanted market stalls are not good enough.[/p][/quote]is this the democracy you complained about when you were not elected?? Also, the BIP directors are elected by the BIP members helztonboy
  • Score: -16

6:49pm Sat 28 Sep 13

telstar1962 says...

Some commentators classify comments as 'moans',and you are entitled to feel disgruntled when ignored

My comments are normally constructive: but how about a genuine Town Meeting inviting all interested parties to attend in one place, perhaps the Old Cattle Market, where the Helston and area public are all invited to discuss their needs and concerns for the future.

In attendance could be Mayor,Councillors,To
wn Team and all.

There is no doubt a place for the formallity of Town Council meetings, Breakfast Clubs, Team BIP get-togethers, but perhaps an informal evening to discuss with Officials and/or everyone concerned about the money running out, the shops getting out, and what Town residents think,could be beneficial for everyone concerned.

I have spoken to the Mayor recently, and must say that he appears in a totally different professional league to some of his predecessors
Some commentators classify comments as 'moans',and you are entitled to feel disgruntled when ignored My comments are normally constructive: but how about a genuine Town Meeting inviting all interested parties to attend in one place, perhaps the Old Cattle Market, where the Helston and area public are all invited to discuss their needs and concerns for the future. In attendance could be Mayor,Councillors,To wn Team and all. There is no doubt a place for the formallity of Town Council meetings, Breakfast Clubs, Team BIP get-togethers, but perhaps an informal evening to discuss with Officials and/or everyone concerned about the money running out, the shops getting out, and what Town residents think,could be beneficial for everyone concerned. I have spoken to the Mayor recently, and must say that he appears in a totally different professional league to some of his predecessors telstar1962
  • Score: 3

10:07am Sun 29 Sep 13

ronedgcumbe says...

I am not complaining about democracy as I am still willing to stand at any by election that may ofray not occur.
I am not complaining about democracy as I am still willing to stand at any by election that may ofray not occur. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 0

3:25pm Sun 29 Sep 13

telstar1962 says...

So,after another positive comment which I have posted on here, I have a minus 16 score with the thumbs down. lol

Says it all really, and partly why Helston is in such a dire mess with the finances and the money running out and what money there is left being spent on admin,meetings, logos, staff to assist staff, money for an office proposed when there is space in a multi-functional building which cost nearly £3m supposedly for the local communities use. etc etc

End of.
So,after another positive comment which I have posted on here, I have a minus 16 score with the thumbs down. lol Says it all really, and partly why Helston is in such a dire mess with the finances and the money running out and what money there is left being spent on admin,meetings, logos, staff to assist staff, money for an office proposed when there is space in a multi-functional building which cost nearly £3m supposedly for the local communities use. etc etc End of. telstar1962
  • Score: 6

8:05pm Mon 30 Sep 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

I have read all the comments with genuine interest, some of them I find very thought provoking.

I believe, in accordance with the concerns raised over the HBIP applied for funding, by Councillor John Boase and Councillor Nicola Boase, they should stand by their restricted funding principles, and repay the grant money they received, until such time as they actually open their shop.
I have read all the comments with genuine interest, some of them I find very thought provoking. I believe, in accordance with the concerns raised over the HBIP applied for funding, by Councillor John Boase and Councillor Nicola Boase, they should stand by their restricted funding principles, and repay the grant money they received, until such time as they actually open their shop. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 23

7:05am Tue 1 Oct 13

telstar1962 says...

A very sensible comment yet again by the ever popular Gillian lol

I hope not to be too controversial, but I have another idea ( already discussed with a Councillor, but dismissed out of hand )

How about the Boase shop, (since it remains empty, and hence presumably available for a worthy cause) being given rent free for two years,so it can act as the much needed base as required.

Mr Boase : What ? Save £36,000 by offering our empty shop as a means to help the Town ?

Mrs Boase: Great idea John, I'll put that suggestion forward at the next available opportunity

What about it then, Town Council, HBIP ???

I know you all read these articles. Then do something positive for once, stop wasting public money, put your petty personal/political differences behind you, and use your brains !!!

Hey,John and Nicola...easy rent money for the next 2 years as well lol
A very sensible comment yet again by the ever popular Gillian lol I hope not to be too controversial, but I have another idea ( already discussed with a Councillor, but dismissed out of hand ) How about the Boase shop, (since it remains empty, and hence presumably available for a worthy cause) being given rent free for two years,so it can act as the much needed base as required. Mr Boase : What ? Save £36,000 by offering our empty shop as a means to help the Town ? Mrs Boase: Great idea John, I'll put that suggestion forward at the next available opportunity What about it then, Town Council, HBIP ??? I know you all read these articles. Then do something positive for once, stop wasting public money, put your petty personal/political differences behind you, and use your brains !!! Hey,John and Nicola...easy rent money for the next 2 years as well lol telstar1962
  • Score: 2

8:42am Tue 1 Oct 13

PR Helston says...

telstar1962, your first sentence appears to me as barbed. A blatant dig. Gillian has placed plenty of comments on this site which have received numerous thumbs down in the past and yet that has not prevented her from still saying and standing up for what she obviously believes is right. She has also been subjected to insults on numerous occasions and never retaliated. This is not the first time you have made digs at her, once saying how often she was on the website. In case you are wondering, I have no idea who this lady is but have been reading her comments and letters for many years, and I don't always agree with her, but I have only recently commented myself, and I have picked up quite a bit of information.
telstar1962, your first sentence appears to me as barbed. A blatant dig. Gillian has placed plenty of comments on this site which have received numerous thumbs down in the past and yet that has not prevented her from still saying and standing up for what she obviously believes is right. She has also been subjected to insults on numerous occasions and never retaliated. This is not the first time you have made digs at her, once saying how often she was on the website. In case you are wondering, I have no idea who this lady is but have been reading her comments and letters for many years, and I don't always agree with her, but I have only recently commented myself, and I have picked up quite a bit of information. PR Helston
  • Score: -6

9:02am Tue 1 Oct 13

telstar1962 says...

PR

a very sensible comment.... a positive start

yet again...because Gillian posts a lot

by the ever popular Gillian... because many people,26, give her the thumbs up

LOL because my comment is a happy one, and I agree PR, that even though I have never met her, I agree with most things she comments on, and she would make a good Town Councillor, (but either she says,like me, she is too busy or lives in the wrong place) It is not a dig,it is praise and got my thumbs up lol

So,stop looking for the negatives,say something positive, like the rest of my comment concerns an empty shop which is not being used, which just perhaps could be utilized for the cause of Helston. Boases shop is intended as positive comment by me, but thumbs up/thumbs down, minus 8 ?! who cares ?
PR a very sensible comment.... a positive start yet again...because Gillian posts a lot by the ever popular Gillian... because many people,26, give her the thumbs up LOL because my comment is a happy one, and I agree PR, that even though I have never met her, I agree with most things she comments on, and she would make a good Town Councillor, (but either she says,like me, she is too busy or lives in the wrong place) It is not a dig,it is praise and got my thumbs up lol So,stop looking for the negatives,say something positive, like the rest of my comment concerns an empty shop which is not being used, which just perhaps could be utilized for the cause of Helston. Boases shop is intended as positive comment by me, but thumbs up/thumbs down, minus 8 ?! who cares ? telstar1962
  • Score: 10

2:16pm Tue 1 Oct 13

PR Helston says...

telstar1962, does anyone know if Mr Boase 'owns' a shop? a majority of business people rent the shops from landlords. If renting he couldn't sub let free or for rent. There would be a council tax/business rates problem depending on what the shop was classified as. You say a Cllr dismissed your idea, should it not be Cllr Boase that you speak to?
The Packet ran the article on Mr Boase opening a shop, perhaps the Packet would like to find out and publish an update on the shop. I think it looks bad all round to be giving out grants to empty shop owners. I think the BIP should have a duty to find out what is happening to the shop having issued grant money. Otherwise Helston could end up with lots of empty but clean and painted shops, what use would that be?
telstar1962, does anyone know if Mr Boase 'owns' a shop? a majority of business people rent the shops from landlords. If renting he couldn't sub let free or for rent. There would be a council tax/business rates problem depending on what the shop was classified as. You say a Cllr dismissed your idea, should it not be Cllr Boase that you speak to? The Packet ran the article on Mr Boase opening a shop, perhaps the Packet would like to find out and publish an update on the shop. I think it looks bad all round to be giving out grants to empty shop owners. I think the BIP should have a duty to find out what is happening to the shop having issued grant money. Otherwise Helston could end up with lots of empty but clean and painted shops, what use would that be? PR Helston
  • Score: 16

2:31pm Tue 1 Oct 13

ronedgcumbe says...

The hand outs where to landlords. This is probably the root of this problem.
The hand outs where to landlords. This is probably the root of this problem. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: -9

2:48pm Tue 1 Oct 13

PR Helston says...

Thank you ronedgecumbe for the information, so if Mr Boase is the landlord as he received a grant, isn't that bad that he can own a shop, get a grant and yet leave the shop empty? surely the money would have been better spent elsewhere. I think the public should have an explanation as to why grants are given out to landlords unless their properties are occupied.
Thank you ronedgecumbe for the information, so if Mr Boase is the landlord as he received a grant, isn't that bad that he can own a shop, get a grant and yet leave the shop empty? surely the money would have been better spent elsewhere. I think the public should have an explanation as to why grants are given out to landlords unless their properties are occupied. PR Helston
  • Score: 11

3:27pm Tue 1 Oct 13

krazyitchkatie says...

So, the grants were an attempt to make Helston look better and more attractive to potential investors and encourage new business, hence it went to empty shops as well as occupied.

Don;t quote me, but i believe John Boase is still intending to occupy his shop after several delays - I do think it would be a good idea for him to allow the bip to use it as a base if he does not fill it though.

The issue of a base seems controversial - it is unfortunate, but real life that doing so will cost money. But it is also a very real need. Jonathon Birkett was based in the Guildhall for his job, but there is only a single desk in there - no room for BIP to store anything and whoever uses the desk is not allowed by the council to use the phone/computer/ANYTH
ING! So the council has put the bip in a predicament. In order to continue with plans to hopefully take Helston forward and make it prosperous, they need a base - spend money to make money.
This base would also be the place for anyone who has questions (lots above!) to pop in and ask, as well as tourist info.
So, the grants were an attempt to make Helston look better and more attractive to potential investors and encourage new business, hence it went to empty shops as well as occupied. Don;t quote me, but i believe John Boase is still intending to occupy his shop after several delays - I do think it would be a good idea for him to allow the bip to use it as a base if he does not fill it though. The issue of a base seems controversial - it is unfortunate, but real life that doing so will cost money. But it is also a very real need. Jonathon Birkett was based in the Guildhall for his job, but there is only a single desk in there - no room for BIP to store anything and whoever uses the desk is not allowed by the council to use the phone/computer/ANYTH ING! So the council has put the bip in a predicament. In order to continue with plans to hopefully take Helston forward and make it prosperous, they need a base - spend money to make money. This base would also be the place for anyone who has questions (lots above!) to pop in and ask, as well as tourist info. krazyitchkatie
  • Score: 7

5:06pm Tue 1 Oct 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

telstar, I am not popular, neither are my comments, quite the opposite, as this post will no doubt prove, however, I am not on a point scoring or popularity exercise, my priority is to post what I truly believe in.

My last post referring to Councillor J Boase and Councillor N Boase was in fact just making the point that as they did not support the funding application in full, submitted to the Council by the HBIP, and if they feel there is a shortage of money, they may like to pay back their grant. It was a tongue in cheek comment as I disagree with them not fully supporting the HBIP, particularly as from it, they have gained.
Jonathan Radford-Gaby along with many of the Helston Councillors fully supports the HBIP, I therefore feel that the minority of Councillors that have not offered their full support, are giving out a contradictory message to the public. It was the Town Council that decided upon the employment of the Town Manager and they fully supported him in his work, it was the Town Manager that subsequently developed the HBIP, therefore, now not to fully support the HBIP, is in my opinion, rendering the expense and work of the former Town Manager pointless.

Incidentally I personally think it a shame that Ex Councillor Keith Reynolds is not still on the council, I believe he was an excellent Councillor and he supported the HBIP.
If the current Town Council cannot provide a visible united front, then I feel that is a great shame.
The Council has brilliant leadership and has the chance to make a real difference to Helston.
telstar, I am not popular, neither are my comments, quite the opposite, as this post will no doubt prove, however, I am not on a point scoring or popularity exercise, my priority is to post what I truly believe in. My last post referring to Councillor J Boase and Councillor N Boase was in fact just making the point that as they did not support the funding application in full, submitted to the Council by the HBIP, and if they feel there is a shortage of money, they may like to pay back their grant. It was a tongue in cheek comment as I disagree with them not fully supporting the HBIP, particularly as from it, they have gained. Jonathan Radford-Gaby along with many of the Helston Councillors fully supports the HBIP, I therefore feel that the minority of Councillors that have not offered their full support, are giving out a contradictory message to the public. It was the Town Council that decided upon the employment of the Town Manager and they fully supported him in his work, it was the Town Manager that subsequently developed the HBIP, therefore, now not to fully support the HBIP, is in my opinion, rendering the expense and work of the former Town Manager pointless. Incidentally I personally think it a shame that Ex Councillor Keith Reynolds is not still on the council, I believe he was an excellent Councillor and he supported the HBIP. If the current Town Council cannot provide a visible united front, then I feel that is a great shame. The Council has brilliant leadership and has the chance to make a real difference to Helston. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 24

5:28pm Tue 1 Oct 13

ronedgcumbe says...

We should be informed of all landlords and others who have gained from this
.
We should be informed of all landlords and others who have gained from this . ronedgcumbe
  • Score: -8

5:44pm Tue 1 Oct 13

ronedgcumbe says...

It is my opinion that the current town council is totally ineffectual and
should for the good of the town stand down.
It is my opinion that the current town council is totally ineffectual and should for the good of the town stand down. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: -5

5:57pm Tue 1 Oct 13

ronedgcumbe says...

We need people on the tc who have ambitions for the town not just for themselves.
We need people on the tc who have ambitions for the town not just for themselves. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: -5

6:17pm Tue 1 Oct 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Ron I think that is totally unfair. Prior to the last election you said the whole council should stand down, now you are saying it again after the election.
Jonathan Radford-Gaby is an excellent Councillor and Mayor, and some of the other Councillors have only been in since May and haven't had a fair chance to prove their worth.
Jonathan Radford-Gaby does have ambitions for the town and certainly is not self serving.
Ron I think that is totally unfair. Prior to the last election you said the whole council should stand down, now you are saying it again after the election. Jonathan Radford-Gaby is an excellent Councillor and Mayor, and some of the other Councillors have only been in since May and haven't had a fair chance to prove their worth. Jonathan Radford-Gaby does have ambitions for the town and certainly is not self serving. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 15

6:47pm Tue 1 Oct 13

PR Helston says...

ronedgcumbe, I think you should tell the Mayor that face to face, I am old school, and I think it a bit cowardly to put it on a public website, you have in the past on this website also accused him of weak leadership, have you also told him that face to face, and all the other Cllrs like Mrs Geer, Mr Martin, Ms Justine Hornsby etc, good Cllrs in my book, I have had questions, but would never expect the Cllrs to stand down and I think you take advantage of the fact that they do not comment on this website and defend themselves, which is a shame.
I think this website is becoming a witch hunt, started by ronedgcumbe, so signing off now as I want no part.
ronedgcumbe, I think you should tell the Mayor that face to face, I am old school, and I think it a bit cowardly to put it on a public website, you have in the past on this website also accused him of weak leadership, have you also told him that face to face, and all the other Cllrs like Mrs Geer, Mr Martin, Ms Justine Hornsby etc, good Cllrs in my book, I have had questions, but would never expect the Cllrs to stand down and I think you take advantage of the fact that they do not comment on this website and defend themselves, which is a shame. I think this website is becoming a witch hunt, started by ronedgcumbe, so signing off now as I want no part. PR Helston
  • Score: 12

7:16pm Tue 1 Oct 13

ronedgcumbe says...

I am an available to discuss anytime. 07969 743264.
I am an available to discuss anytime. 07969 743264. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: -7

6:40am Wed 2 Oct 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

I wouldn't expect a Councillor to contact me, they are all volunteers with other commitments. If I disagreed with the actions of a Councillor to the extent that I wanted them to stand down, then I would contact them personally and tell them.
I would also contact them (and have done) to discuss any issues that I had a problem with, after all, it would be me with the problem, therefore it would be up to me to contact them. How does a Councillor know what one thinks unless that person contacts them to "discuss".
I never say anything behind anyone's back that I would not be prepared to say to their face, regardless of any possible adverse consequences to myself.
I believe it is too easy to be sitting back saying one would "discuss" if someone contacted me. The complainant should be the one to make contact.
After all, if a crime was committed against ones self, one would not just sit back and expect the police to contact them!!!!!'
I wouldn't expect a Councillor to contact me, they are all volunteers with other commitments. If I disagreed with the actions of a Councillor to the extent that I wanted them to stand down, then I would contact them personally and tell them. I would also contact them (and have done) to discuss any issues that I had a problem with, after all, it would be me with the problem, therefore it would be up to me to contact them. How does a Councillor know what one thinks unless that person contacts them to "discuss". I never say anything behind anyone's back that I would not be prepared to say to their face, regardless of any possible adverse consequences to myself. I believe it is too easy to be sitting back saying one would "discuss" if someone contacted me. The complainant should be the one to make contact. After all, if a crime was committed against ones self, one would not just sit back and expect the police to contact them!!!!!' Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 13

5:04pm Wed 2 Oct 13

telstar1962 says...

I would suggest that Gillian's comments are popular (not necessarily that Gillian is popular!) on this news item, since attracting over 20 thumbs up on more than two occasions.

This news item probably proves to many readers that the whole Helston Town Centre debate/problem/discu
ssions, may appear to be somewhat disjointed.

If you were a business which had just been 'awarded' £800k, then your Business Plan for the next few years would be re-addressed,proper procedures would then be implemented in order to see the Plan through to its conclusion.

It seems that two Town Centre Managers were appointed with wildly different outcomes,even though a suitable office or assistance was not in place from the outset.

Now a BID development officer has been appointed,without previously acquiring space,or having the means necessary to do his job

I agree that the Town needs the Business Team/Partnership, the BID procedure needs an Officer,and an office which costs money. In the meantime shops continue to close, one of which I hear is to be re-opened as another Estate Agent.

I wish everybody concerned the very best of luck for the future,but I fear that it will be a constant uphill battle against the big Supermarkets,who paid the princely sum of a couple of days takings between them,to get what they wanted, and thereby kill off the Town as we knew it.
I would suggest that Gillian's comments are popular (not necessarily that Gillian is popular!) on this news item, since attracting over 20 thumbs up on more than two occasions. This news item probably proves to many readers that the whole Helston Town Centre debate/problem/discu ssions, may appear to be somewhat disjointed. If you were a business which had just been 'awarded' £800k, then your Business Plan for the next few years would be re-addressed,proper procedures would then be implemented in order to see the Plan through to its conclusion. It seems that two Town Centre Managers were appointed with wildly different outcomes,even though a suitable office or assistance was not in place from the outset. Now a BID development officer has been appointed,without previously acquiring space,or having the means necessary to do his job I agree that the Town needs the Business Team/Partnership, the BID procedure needs an Officer,and an office which costs money. In the meantime shops continue to close, one of which I hear is to be re-opened as another Estate Agent. I wish everybody concerned the very best of luck for the future,but I fear that it will be a constant uphill battle against the big Supermarkets,who paid the princely sum of a couple of days takings between them,to get what they wanted, and thereby kill off the Town as we knew it. telstar1962
  • Score: 8

7:00pm Wed 2 Oct 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Telstar, I have just multiple 'liked' your comment, how do you know I don't do the same with mine for a laugh. This just proves the voting does not mean very much.
Telstar, I have just multiple 'liked' your comment, how do you know I don't do the same with mine for a laugh. This just proves the voting does not mean very much. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 9

7:31pm Wed 2 Oct 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

I can honestly say I am responsible for six 'likes' on your comment telstar, and I honestly only have my phone for Internet access. For the record I am not responsible for the dislikes.
I can honestly say I am responsible for six 'likes' on your comment telstar, and I honestly only have my phone for Internet access. For the record I am not responsible for the dislikes. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 10

7:39pm Wed 2 Oct 13

telstar1962 says...

and to prove how banal the thumbs up/down thingy is, I've just given myself a thumbs down for one of own posts

lol.
and to prove how banal the thumbs up/down thingy is, I've just given myself a thumbs down for one of own posts lol. telstar1962
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree