Rude awakening as firefighters clamber through Helston woman's bedroom window (From Falmouth Packet)
Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting PKNEWS to 80360
Rude awakening as firefighters clamber through Helston woman's bedroom window
4:00pm Wednesday 9th October 2013 in News
A woman lying fast asleep in bed received a rude awakening when firefighters clambered through her bedroom window last week.
What she did not know was that her flat in Church Street, Helston, was filled with smoke – and she had slept through the smoke alarm.
Six firefighters were sent to investigate the alarm just after 8.30pm on Wednesday last week, having been alerted by a landlady, who had in turn been contacted by one of the tenants to say they could hear the alarm.
Two firefighters entered the flat through a window and, after smoke was discovered in the building, a second emergency vehicle was sent from Helston Fire Station, carrying four more firefighters.
A fire service spokesperson said: “The occupant of the property received a shock when the firefighters entered the room as she was fast asleep in bed – completely unaware of the alarms sounding in the property.”
Firefigthers kept the woman in her bedroom while a fire was put out in the kitchen, where food had been left in a cooker.
They then used a heat seeking camera confirm that the fire was confined to the cooker.
Comments are closed on this article.