School's minister to inspect Helston college over funding bid

School's minister to inspect Helston college over funding bid

School's minister to inspect Helston college over funding bid

First published in News

A senior official from the Department of Education is to carry out an inspection of Helston Community College as part of an ongoing bid to replace part of the building.

The officer is being sent by Schools Minister David Laws following a meeting with representatives of the college and Cornwall Council last week.

Headteacher Dr Pat McGovern travelled to London with Cornwall Councillor Andrew Wallis and Trevor Doughty, director of children’s services in Cornwall, for a meeting arranged by MP Andrew George.

They were lobbying the government for funding towards the cost of replacing the college’s C-block with a new building that would include 22 classrooms, particularly for English and maths, as well as a library, hall and gymnasium.

The existing block, which was built in the 1950s, is in a poor state of repair, with problems with its roof and walls.

Last year Cornwall Council’s cabinet agreed in principle that the scheme would be built, subject to appropriate funding being approved. This was to have come from the council’s capital programme and officers were told to find the money.

In July this year, however, the new cabinet broke the news to the college that the money could not be found.

Since then the council, college and Mr George – as well as members of the public, who signed a petition set up by Derek Thomas – have been working to find the £10 million needed.

The aim of meeting with Mr Laws last Wednesday was to discuss a bid put forward by the council for funding from the £50 billion fund set up by the government to support public sector infrastructure projects.

Headteacher Dr McGovern welcomed the offer of a visit from a government official, saying: “I was delighted to have the opportunity to meet the minister and am pleased with the support given by the local authority, which has reinforced the clear message that we are working together to resolve this issue. “I am particularly pleased with the minister’s offer to send a senior official from the Department of Education to visit Helston. This is a major step forward.”

Mr Wallis, cabinet member for children and young people who also represents Helston and Porthleven, described the meeting as “positive and encouraging, adding: “Helston Community College is one of our highest achieving schools and, like all students in Cornwall, its young people deserve to be taught in high quality buildings. Everyone agrees that the issues with C-block need to be addressed as quickly as possible and I am pleased that the minister has recognised the seriousness of the situation and has agreed to send one of his senior officials to Cornwall to inspect the problem for themselves.”

Mr George described it as “an important step” to resolving the issue.

Comments (38)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:20pm Sat 19 Oct 13

Ken Helston says...

Why did they not apply for government funding from the start? I think Cllr Wallis has made pathetic excuses as a cabinet member for over a year on this issue. I would be surprised if he even attends all the meetings he should unlike Cllr Haycock.
Why did they not apply for government funding from the start? I think Cllr Wallis has made pathetic excuses as a cabinet member for over a year on this issue. I would be surprised if he even attends all the meetings he should unlike Cllr Haycock. Ken Helston
  • Score: -16

9:49pm Sat 19 Oct 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Councillor Andrew Wallis was not a cabinet member prior to May this year and therefore could not as a cabinet member have possibly made "pathetic excuses" on this issue for over a year. I suggest he does not make "pathetic excuses" about anything at anytime.

For the record Councillor Andrew Wallis has a 100% attendance record, Councillor Judith Haycock has an attendance record of 86%.
Councillor Andrew Wallis was not a cabinet member prior to May this year and therefore could not as a cabinet member have possibly made "pathetic excuses" on this issue for over a year. I suggest he does not make "pathetic excuses" about anything at anytime. For the record Councillor Andrew Wallis has a 100% attendance record, Councillor Judith Haycock has an attendance record of 86%. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 12

9:57pm Sat 19 Oct 13

Ken Helston says...

Do you get 'inside' council information GZM?
Do you get 'inside' council information GZM? Ken Helston
  • Score: -9

10:12pm Sat 19 Oct 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Any council related information I have ever posted is not private or esoteric, it has always been in the public domain prior to my postings.
Any council related information I have ever posted is not private or esoteric, it has always been in the public domain prior to my postings. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 8

5:31pm Sun 20 Oct 13

Ken Helston says...

The dilemma of the condition of the school is not the only thing of concern to me in Helston North, I'll postpone judgement on that until the result of the government funding for it, but instead of Cllr Wallis worrying about being a member of the BIP maybe he should worry about sorting the other problems out in Helston North.
The dilemma of the condition of the school is not the only thing of concern to me in Helston North, I'll postpone judgement on that until the result of the government funding for it, but instead of Cllr Wallis worrying about being a member of the BIP maybe he should worry about sorting the other problems out in Helston North. Ken Helston
  • Score: -12

5:53pm Sun 20 Oct 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Cornwall Council are working to achieve the best possible solution for the problem existing with Helston Community College, so far it is looking very positive the way things are progressing, hopefully things will quickly reach a conclusion to the satisfaction of all concerned.

With reference to Helston North, Councillor Andrew Wallis represents Porthleven and Helston West, (which was reclassified from Helston South) Councillor Phil Martin represents Helston North and therefore I suggest he should be approached regarding any Helston North issues.
Cornwall Council are working to achieve the best possible solution for the problem existing with Helston Community College, so far it is looking very positive the way things are progressing, hopefully things will quickly reach a conclusion to the satisfaction of all concerned. With reference to Helston North, Councillor Andrew Wallis represents Porthleven and Helston West, (which was reclassified from Helston South) Councillor Phil Martin represents Helston North and therefore I suggest he should be approached regarding any Helston North issues. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 11

6:28pm Sun 20 Oct 13

Ken Helston says...

So why GZM does the article say Cllr Wallis represents Helston and Porthleven? no mention of Helston West only.
So why GZM does the article say Cllr Wallis represents Helston and Porthleven? no mention of Helston West only. Ken Helston
  • Score: -9

6:55pm Sun 20 Oct 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

I have no idea, I do not work for the Packet, perhaps they did not see the need to be that specific, or maybe it was an oversight. If this is something you feel strongly about you could contact the Packet and ask, if you do, perhaps you might also enquire as to why the unsubscribe does not appear to work on this article.
I have no idea, I do not work for the Packet, perhaps they did not see the need to be that specific, or maybe it was an oversight. If this is something you feel strongly about you could contact the Packet and ask, if you do, perhaps you might also enquire as to why the unsubscribe does not appear to work on this article. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 12

7:14pm Sun 20 Oct 13

Ken Helston says...

So GZM if Helston North is not Cllr Wallis's division then why did he go on a freebie jolly to London about the Community College, did they all have lunch at the Ritz?
So GZM if Helston North is not Cllr Wallis's division then why did he go on a freebie jolly to London about the Community College, did they all have lunch at the Ritz? Ken Helston
  • Score: -12

7:24pm Sun 20 Oct 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Councillor Andrew Wallis is portfolio holder for children and young people, as such he is involved with Helston Community College and would be regardless of the Helston division.

Why the Ritz, I would have thought the Savoy in the Strand would have been nearer to Westminster.

If his food arrangements are that much of interest to you then may I suggest you contact him and ask.
Councillor Andrew Wallis is portfolio holder for children and young people, as such he is involved with Helston Community College and would be regardless of the Helston division. Why the Ritz, I would have thought the Savoy in the Strand would have been nearer to Westminster. If his food arrangements are that much of interest to you then may I suggest you contact him and ask. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 10

8:17pm Sun 20 Oct 13

Ken Helston says...

I think the leader of the council should have been the one to go to London he probably would have a better performance than Cllr Wallis.
I think the leader of the council should have been the one to go to London he probably would have a better performance than Cllr Wallis. Ken Helston
  • Score: -14

8:22pm Sun 20 Oct 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Oh you mean Councillor John Pollard, portfolio holder for Reputation and 'Performance' with an attendance record of 71%.

I suggest if you have a problem with Councillor Andrew Wallis you contact him personally and raise your concerns.
Oh you mean Councillor John Pollard, portfolio holder for Reputation and 'Performance' with an attendance record of 71%. I suggest if you have a problem with Councillor Andrew Wallis you contact him personally and raise your concerns. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 12

1:42pm Mon 21 Oct 13

PR Helston says...

Someone told me the architect had already started work on Helston Community College building project, if this is the case what happens if they don't get the full funding and the project is altered, wont that be a waste of money. Why didn't the last council ask the government for some funding before the last council election. I think Cllr Folkes should sort it out he's in charge of finances. What's his attendance record Gillian? interesting that, as those Cllrs that don't attend meetings still pick up the same allowances as the others. Even allowing for sickness and holidays I think its bad because in some jobs people don't even get paid for sick leave or holidays.
Someone told me the architect had already started work on Helston Community College building project, if this is the case what happens if they don't get the full funding and the project is altered, wont that be a waste of money. Why didn't the last council ask the government for some funding before the last council election. I think Cllr Folkes should sort it out he's in charge of finances. What's his attendance record Gillian? interesting that, as those Cllrs that don't attend meetings still pick up the same allowances as the others. Even allowing for sickness and holidays I think its bad because in some jobs people don't even get paid for sick leave or holidays. PR Helston
  • Score: 3

1:45pm Mon 21 Oct 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Councillor Alex Folkes attendance record is 100% and whilst he may be portfolio holder for finances and resources he does not as far as I am aware have a magic wand.
Councillor Alex Folkes attendance record is 100% and whilst he may be portfolio holder for finances and resources he does not as far as I am aware have a magic wand. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 11

2:05pm Mon 21 Oct 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

I am quoting from memory, there are only 10 cabinet members so it does not take much effort to remember how efficient any of them might happen to be within their different roles or their percentage of attendance to meetings.
I am quoting from memory, there are only 10 cabinet members so it does not take much effort to remember how efficient any of them might happen to be within their different roles or their percentage of attendance to meetings. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 10

6:38pm Mon 21 Oct 13

telstar1962 says...

There appears to me to be a common thread in Helston in allowing Public Educational Buildings to be allowed to fall into disrepair. Helston College and the Passmore Edwards Institute are both examples of this.

I may be criticized for mentioning this obvious link, but the question needs to be asked why local dignitaries allow this state of affairs, when it so harms the local childrens education ?
There appears to me to be a common thread in Helston in allowing Public Educational Buildings to be allowed to fall into disrepair. Helston College and the Passmore Edwards Institute are both examples of this. I may be criticized for mentioning this obvious link, but the question needs to be asked why local dignitaries allow this state of affairs, when it so harms the local childrens education ? telstar1962
  • Score: -7

6:51pm Mon 21 Oct 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Pardon my ignorance telstar but who exactly do you class as local dignitaries? Cornwall Council hold the purse strings for educational buildings.
Pardon my ignorance telstar but who exactly do you class as local dignitaries? Cornwall Council hold the purse strings for educational buildings. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 13

10:31pm Mon 21 Oct 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

I suppose what telstar meant was why were the buildings allowed to fall into disrepair over a long length of time, while both buildings belonged to the council.
I don't think blame can be laid on Town Councillors as they have very little influence on the budget with which to maintain educational buildings such as schools. I would guess this was something happening long before the unitary authority was established.
No matter how hard Cornwall Councillors and former Kerrier district Councillors worked for anything, Cornwall has always I believe faired unfavourably with government funding for schools.
I suppose what telstar meant was why were the buildings allowed to fall into disrepair over a long length of time, while both buildings belonged to the council. I don't think blame can be laid on Town Councillors as they have very little influence on the budget with which to maintain educational buildings such as schools. I would guess this was something happening long before the unitary authority was established. No matter how hard Cornwall Councillors and former Kerrier district Councillors worked for anything, Cornwall has always I believe faired unfavourably with government funding for schools. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 9

10:58pm Mon 21 Oct 13

Ken Helston says...

Yes and are you in favour of the Tories GZM because I don't think they have ever liked Cornwall, as far as I know the school children are allocated less money per head than other counties and rural problems seem to be ignored.
Perhaps you could get some inside information from Cornwall Council what their plan is if the funding bid for the Community College is not successful.
Yes and are you in favour of the Tories GZM because I don't think they have ever liked Cornwall, as far as I know the school children are allocated less money per head than other counties and rural problems seem to be ignored. Perhaps you could get some inside information from Cornwall Council what their plan is if the funding bid for the Community College is not successful. Ken Helston
  • Score: -10

12:06am Tue 22 Oct 13

telstar1962 says...

To be honest,you don't have to be the brightest pupil to see why I have linked these two buildings, and their fall into shameful disrepair,whoever is responsible for their upkeep.

In fact local authorities have a statutory duty to provide sufficient schools in terms of their number, character and equipment; and fund provision of new places to meet demographic pressures.

I am not in the slightest bit interested in the knowledge of attendance percentages at meetings for Councillors, more so, as is mentioned, the lack of funding from the Local Authority, and for many years the acceptance by local councillors of the situation,and for them to allow the deterioration of the buildings.

These meetings, as mentioned in this news piece, should have been happening many years ago, not last week.
To be honest,you don't have to be the brightest pupil to see why I have linked these two buildings, and their fall into shameful disrepair,whoever is responsible for their upkeep. In fact local authorities have a statutory duty to provide sufficient schools in terms of their number, character and equipment; and fund provision of new places to meet demographic pressures. I am not in the slightest bit interested in the knowledge of attendance percentages at meetings for Councillors, more so, as is mentioned, the lack of funding from the Local Authority, and for many years the acceptance by local councillors of the situation,and for them to allow the deterioration of the buildings. These meetings, as mentioned in this news piece, should have been happening many years ago, not last week. telstar1962
  • Score: -11

10:06am Tue 22 Oct 13

telstar1962 says...

With PR's logic, then Helston will soon have state-of-the-art new buildings like the Old/New Cattle Market, replacing every public building over 50 years old.

It is now good to see that the same energy and enthusiasm being directed into rebuilding Helston College,as was shewn in the reconstruction of the Cattle Market.

Over many years the evidence is that run-down and demoralized places like Helston Town are helped enormously by the Arts Community. You've just got to look at Margate and Newcastle as recent examples.The creation of revitalized Arts Centres have attracted thousands of extra visitors to these places,which otherwise would not have been the case. In my view the group who have saved the Science and Education building in Penrose Road are fully entitled to request some contribution back from the sale,in proportion to that covenanted in the original Deed.

As for demolishing every old building once it reaches a certain age, well what about the Methodist Chapel, the Guildhall, the Blue Anchor, etc etc

These properties have been properly maintained, and there is no excuse to say that just because the property is the responsibility of the Local Authority,then it cannot be done.
I
With PR's logic, then Helston will soon have state-of-the-art new buildings like the Old/New Cattle Market, replacing every public building over 50 years old. It is now good to see that the same energy and enthusiasm being directed into rebuilding Helston College,as was shewn in the reconstruction of the Cattle Market. Over many years the evidence is that run-down and demoralized places like Helston Town are helped enormously by the Arts Community. You've just got to look at Margate and Newcastle as recent examples.The creation of revitalized Arts Centres have attracted thousands of extra visitors to these places,which otherwise would not have been the case. In my view the group who have saved the Science and Education building in Penrose Road are fully entitled to request some contribution back from the sale,in proportion to that covenanted in the original Deed. As for demolishing every old building once it reaches a certain age, well what about the Methodist Chapel, the Guildhall, the Blue Anchor, etc etc These properties have been properly maintained, and there is no excuse to say that just because the property is the responsibility of the Local Authority,then it cannot be done. I telstar1962
  • Score: -11

10:29am Tue 22 Oct 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Ken Helston wrote:
Yes and are you in favour of the Tories GZM because I don't think they have ever liked Cornwall, as far as I know the school children are allocated less money per head than other counties and rural problems seem to be ignored.
Perhaps you could get some inside information from Cornwall Council what their plan is if the funding bid for the Community College is not successful.
I adhere to no political party.

I will reiterate, I do not post any "inside information." On numerous occasions by different people on this website I have been accused of having "inside information" With the freedom of information act in place, there is very little information these days that cannot be obtained.
Council information is freely available on the Cornwall Council website, in addition to which most Town and Parish Councils have their own websites.
The Packet Archives are a mine of information and I happen to have a very good memory.
I receive no "inside information" whatever that may constitute and hypothetically if I was to be given any private or esoteric information from an individual source I would hardly break a trust and post it on a public website.
I therefore would appreciate individuals refraining from making insinuating or accusing remarks as from where I source my information.

With reference to Helston Community College, I believe instead of trying to lay blame on individuals for any possible past failings or the current situation, it is more constructive to concentrate what is being done now, which at the present time sounds very positive.
[quote][p][bold]Ken Helston[/bold] wrote: Yes and are you in favour of the Tories GZM because I don't think they have ever liked Cornwall, as far as I know the school children are allocated less money per head than other counties and rural problems seem to be ignored. Perhaps you could get some inside information from Cornwall Council what their plan is if the funding bid for the Community College is not successful.[/p][/quote]I adhere to no political party. I will reiterate, I do not post any "inside information." On numerous occasions by different people on this website I have been accused of having "inside information" With the freedom of information act in place, there is very little information these days that cannot be obtained. Council information is freely available on the Cornwall Council website, in addition to which most Town and Parish Councils have their own websites. The Packet Archives are a mine of information and I happen to have a very good memory. I receive no "inside information" whatever that may constitute and hypothetically if I was to be given any private or esoteric information from an individual source I would hardly break a trust and post it on a public website. I therefore would appreciate individuals refraining from making insinuating or accusing remarks as from where I source my information. With reference to Helston Community College, I believe instead of trying to lay blame on individuals for any possible past failings or the current situation, it is more constructive to concentrate what is being done now, which at the present time sounds very positive. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 9

11:53am Tue 22 Oct 13

telstar1962 says...

This is part of my questioning, why a Local Council cannot raise a small amount of funds from the whole population in order to fulfil their obligation to young people, but businesses,and I include in that the Methodist Church,with a tiny tiny proportion of the population who care to be involved, can still find the money,and have the pride to maintain their property.

In my view the promise of a new Community Centre,without any due diligence,proper costings of building or ongoing costs,was just an amateurish attempt by the previous Council at an important time in the whole sorry saga of long term neglect by generations who didn't care.

I agree that the way ahead is to be positive, and engage professionally with CAST,and others with the expertise who can help.

However, todays generation would probably feel better taking their kids to see a Cartoon at the Cinema, than to get involved in good education and art.

If some research was done on how the Arts have helped numerous communities down the years,then some people wouldn't have such a negative view.
This is part of my questioning, why a Local Council cannot raise a small amount of funds from the whole population in order to fulfil their obligation to young people, but businesses,and I include in that the Methodist Church,with a tiny tiny proportion of the population who care to be involved, can still find the money,and have the pride to maintain their property. In my view the promise of a new Community Centre,without any due diligence,proper costings of building or ongoing costs,was just an amateurish attempt by the previous Council at an important time in the whole sorry saga of long term neglect by generations who didn't care. I agree that the way ahead is to be positive, and engage professionally with CAST,and others with the expertise who can help. However, todays generation would probably feel better taking their kids to see a Cartoon at the Cinema, than to get involved in good education and art. If some research was done on how the Arts have helped numerous communities down the years,then some people wouldn't have such a negative view. telstar1962
  • Score: -5

12:47pm Tue 22 Oct 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

May I please just point out to PR and telstar, that each Methodist Church belongs to a circuit and as such can borrow or be given money from the circuit, the Methodist Hierarchy pays ministers but is not a business and Ministers are not employees. When fund raising takes place for individual Chapels, grants are very often additional sought and awarded to the applying Chapel. When over a hundred thousand pounds was raised to instal a lift for those with disabilities at Mullion Chapel, grants were applied for and received, the total did not come from local fundraising events. Additionally the congregational members were also asked to donate or lend money over a four year period.
I additionally would like to add that the Methodist Church owns properties other than Chapels and also sells some of its Chapels that are beyond feasible repair or upkeep.
May I please just point out to PR and telstar, that each Methodist Church belongs to a circuit and as such can borrow or be given money from the circuit, the Methodist Hierarchy pays ministers but is not a business and Ministers are not employees. When fund raising takes place for individual Chapels, grants are very often additional sought and awarded to the applying Chapel. When over a hundred thousand pounds was raised to instal a lift for those with disabilities at Mullion Chapel, grants were applied for and received, the total did not come from local fundraising events. Additionally the congregational members were also asked to donate or lend money over a four year period. I additionally would like to add that the Methodist Church owns properties other than Chapels and also sells some of its Chapels that are beyond feasible repair or upkeep. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 9

1:32pm Tue 22 Oct 13

telstar1962 says...

Thank you Gillian for your expert knowledge of the inner workings of the Methodism Movement.

Now it's my turn to show some knowledge. Wasn't it a Methodist Minister who founded the Salvation Army ?

Now if the Local Authority need a template to work to, perhaps they should have a look at Methodism,and copy some of their economic propriety ?
Thank you Gillian for your expert knowledge of the inner workings of the Methodism Movement. Now it's my turn to show some knowledge. Wasn't it a Methodist Minister who founded the Salvation Army ? Now if the Local Authority need a template to work to, perhaps they should have a look at Methodism,and copy some of their economic propriety ? telstar1962
  • Score: 7

2:33pm Tue 22 Oct 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Yes telstar you are correct, William Booth founded the Salvation Army in 1865 in London, he was indeed a Methodist Minister.

I would not recommend your proposal however, for the local authority to follow the financial side of Methodism too closely, or you may just find Helston Town Council handing round the bag for the offering to its constituents in a bid to raise monies and then asking them to double their offering, additionally handing out a gift day envelope with the hope of a financial offering handed back in the envelope, along with never ending fund raising. Then they may ask for monthly donations to fund a Councillor and they may decide they want a new kitchen for the Guildhall for around ten thousand pounds.
Methodism does not appear to come cheaply for the average congregational member so I would not recommend Helston Town Council follow their asking for money ideas. Now perhaps one may begin to understand why I think on the whole Helston Town Council do a great job with a low budget.
Yes telstar you are correct, William Booth founded the Salvation Army in 1865 in London, he was indeed a Methodist Minister. I would not recommend your proposal however, for the local authority to follow the financial side of Methodism too closely, or you may just find Helston Town Council handing round the bag for the offering to its constituents in a bid to raise monies and then asking them to double their offering, additionally handing out a gift day envelope with the hope of a financial offering handed back in the envelope, along with never ending fund raising. Then they may ask for monthly donations to fund a Councillor and they may decide they want a new kitchen for the Guildhall for around ten thousand pounds. Methodism does not appear to come cheaply for the average congregational member so I would not recommend Helston Town Council follow their asking for money ideas. Now perhaps one may begin to understand why I think on the whole Helston Town Council do a great job with a low budget. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 7

2:50pm Tue 22 Oct 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

I think when they rebuild Helston Community College, a room should be incorporated that could be used as a community centre. The money the council has (or had) from the sale of the Passmore Edwards building in Penrose Road is not enough to obtain land with, planning permission and build a new community centre.
I think when they rebuild Helston Community College, a room should be incorporated that could be used as a community centre. The money the council has (or had) from the sale of the Passmore Edwards building in Penrose Road is not enough to obtain land with, planning permission and build a new community centre. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 9

3:38pm Tue 22 Oct 13

telstar1962 says...

Gillian,you have some good ideas.

What about the many suitable buildings in and around Helston each add on a room or two for community use. We could see the Supermarkets putting their profits to a good cause. Say, a small sports pitch at Tesco. A Badminton court at Sainsbury. A small gym at the Cattle Market

True Community in Action

Oh no, I hear you say...too much red tape...
Gillian,you have some good ideas. What about the many suitable buildings in and around Helston each add on a room or two for community use. We could see the Supermarkets putting their profits to a good cause. Say, a small sports pitch at Tesco. A Badminton court at Sainsbury. A small gym at the Cattle Market True Community in Action Oh no, I hear you say...too much red tape... telstar1962
  • Score: 8

4:21pm Tue 22 Oct 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

When Tesco originally applied to rebuild, the conditions should have been not to demolish the old building but donate it for community use. The recycling banks could easily have been recited elsewhere in the car park. It would only have made the new Tesco car-park slightly smaller.

Don't worry about your red tape, I think Helston Town Council have probably got an officer that could deal with that.
When Tesco originally applied to rebuild, the conditions should have been not to demolish the old building but donate it for community use. The recycling banks could easily have been recited elsewhere in the car park. It would only have made the new Tesco car-park slightly smaller. Don't worry about your red tape, I think Helston Town Council have probably got an officer that could deal with that. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 8

4:56pm Tue 22 Oct 13

PR Helston says...

If the Penrose Arts centre wants money from the council then why don't they open part of it as a community centre again.
If the Penrose Arts centre wants money from the council then why don't they open part of it as a community centre again. PR Helston
  • Score: 4

5:36pm Tue 22 Oct 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

My last post should have said re sited not recited.
Should check my predictive text before posting.
Although regular recitals in the Penrose Road Art Centre might raise some money.

I was wondering what would have happened if Helston Community College had completely collapsed or was condemned by health and safety or such like, the money would have to be found for a re build.

Seems strange to me Cornwall Council afforded to move to New County Hall, what happened to the money that the old building was sold for?
My last post should have said re sited not recited. Should check my predictive text before posting. Although regular recitals in the Penrose Road Art Centre might raise some money. I was wondering what would have happened if Helston Community College had completely collapsed or was condemned by health and safety or such like, the money would have to be found for a re build. Seems strange to me Cornwall Council afforded to move to New County Hall, what happened to the money that the old building was sold for? Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 6

10:03pm Tue 22 Oct 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

telstar1962 wrote:
With PR's logic, then Helston will soon have state-of-the-art new buildings like the Old/New Cattle Market, replacing every public building over 50 years old.

It is now good to see that the same energy and enthusiasm being directed into rebuilding Helston College,as was shewn in the reconstruction of the Cattle Market.

Over many years the evidence is that run-down and demoralized places like Helston Town are helped enormously by the Arts Community. You've just got to look at Margate and Newcastle as recent examples.The creation of revitalized Arts Centres have attracted thousands of extra visitors to these places,which otherwise would not have been the case. In my view the group who have saved the Science and Education building in Penrose Road are fully entitled to request some contribution back from the sale,in proportion to that covenanted in the original Deed.

As for demolishing every old building once it reaches a certain age, well what about the Methodist Chapel, the Guildhall, the Blue Anchor, etc etc

These properties have been properly maintained, and there is no excuse to say that just because the property is the responsibility of the Local Authority,then it cannot be done.
I
I must have missed this post telstar, The attraction with Margate is the long sandy beach, Dream Land, the amusement arcades and Primarks, that is what brings thousands of people into the town.
(Brighton has the Art College). So maybe Helston needs a Primarks and an amusement arcade.
[quote][p][bold]telstar1962[/bold] wrote: With PR's logic, then Helston will soon have state-of-the-art new buildings like the Old/New Cattle Market, replacing every public building over 50 years old. It is now good to see that the same energy and enthusiasm being directed into rebuilding Helston College,as was shewn in the reconstruction of the Cattle Market. Over many years the evidence is that run-down and demoralized places like Helston Town are helped enormously by the Arts Community. You've just got to look at Margate and Newcastle as recent examples.The creation of revitalized Arts Centres have attracted thousands of extra visitors to these places,which otherwise would not have been the case. In my view the group who have saved the Science and Education building in Penrose Road are fully entitled to request some contribution back from the sale,in proportion to that covenanted in the original Deed. As for demolishing every old building once it reaches a certain age, well what about the Methodist Chapel, the Guildhall, the Blue Anchor, etc etc These properties have been properly maintained, and there is no excuse to say that just because the property is the responsibility of the Local Authority,then it cannot be done. I[/p][/quote]I must have missed this post telstar, The attraction with Margate is the long sandy beach, Dream Land, the amusement arcades and Primarks, that is what brings thousands of people into the town. (Brighton has the Art College). So maybe Helston needs a Primarks and an amusement arcade. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 5

10:25pm Tue 22 Oct 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Oh I forgot, Helston has an amusement arcade, it's called the Council Chamber.
Oh I forgot, Helston has an amusement arcade, it's called the Council Chamber. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 6

2:20pm Wed 23 Oct 13

krazyitchkatie says...

Gillian Zella Martin 09 wrote:
I think when they rebuild Helston Community College, a room should be incorporated that could be used as a community centre. The money the council has (or had) from the sale of the Passmore Edwards building in Penrose Road is not enough to obtain land with, planning permission and build a new community centre.
Great idea
[quote][p][bold]Gillian Zella Martin 09[/bold] wrote: I think when they rebuild Helston Community College, a room should be incorporated that could be used as a community centre. The money the council has (or had) from the sale of the Passmore Edwards building in Penrose Road is not enough to obtain land with, planning permission and build a new community centre.[/p][/quote]Great idea krazyitchkatie
  • Score: 4

7:24am Thu 24 Oct 13

telstar1962 says...

Gillian Zella Martin 09 wrote:
telstar1962 wrote:
With PR's logic, then Helston will soon have state-of-the-art new buildings like the Old/New Cattle Market, replacing every public building over 50 years old.

It is now good to see that the same energy and enthusiasm being directed into rebuilding Helston College,as was shewn in the reconstruction of the Cattle Market.

Over many years the evidence is that run-down and demoralized places like Helston Town are helped enormously by the Arts Community. You've just got to look at Margate and Newcastle as recent examples.The creation of revitalized Arts Centres have attracted thousands of extra visitors to these places,which otherwise would not have been the case. In my view the group who have saved the Science and Education building in Penrose Road are fully entitled to request some contribution back from the sale,in proportion to that covenanted in the original Deed.

As for demolishing every old building once it reaches a certain age, well what about the Methodist Chapel, the Guildhall, the Blue Anchor, etc etc

These properties have been properly maintained, and there is no excuse to say that just because the property is the responsibility of the Local Authority,then it cannot be done.
I
I must have missed this post telstar, The attraction with Margate is the long sandy beach, Dream Land, the amusement arcades and Primarks, that is what brings thousands of people into the town.
(Brighton has the Art College). So maybe Helston needs a Primarks and an amusement arcade.
Gillians comment about Margate conveniently omits the fact that the Turner Art Centre has recently had its one millionth visitor since opening.

Forgive me for mentioning this, but that would be a statistic that any visitor attraction within a 3 mile radius of Helston could ever dream of, no matter if you would rather go to a pokey cinema instead lol
[quote][p][bold]Gillian Zella Martin 09[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]telstar1962[/bold] wrote: With PR's logic, then Helston will soon have state-of-the-art new buildings like the Old/New Cattle Market, replacing every public building over 50 years old. It is now good to see that the same energy and enthusiasm being directed into rebuilding Helston College,as was shewn in the reconstruction of the Cattle Market. Over many years the evidence is that run-down and demoralized places like Helston Town are helped enormously by the Arts Community. You've just got to look at Margate and Newcastle as recent examples.The creation of revitalized Arts Centres have attracted thousands of extra visitors to these places,which otherwise would not have been the case. In my view the group who have saved the Science and Education building in Penrose Road are fully entitled to request some contribution back from the sale,in proportion to that covenanted in the original Deed. As for demolishing every old building once it reaches a certain age, well what about the Methodist Chapel, the Guildhall, the Blue Anchor, etc etc These properties have been properly maintained, and there is no excuse to say that just because the property is the responsibility of the Local Authority,then it cannot be done. I[/p][/quote]I must have missed this post telstar, The attraction with Margate is the long sandy beach, Dream Land, the amusement arcades and Primarks, that is what brings thousands of people into the town. (Brighton has the Art College). So maybe Helston needs a Primarks and an amusement arcade.[/p][/quote]Gillians comment about Margate conveniently omits the fact that the Turner Art Centre has recently had its one millionth visitor since opening. Forgive me for mentioning this, but that would be a statistic that any visitor attraction within a 3 mile radius of Helston could ever dream of, no matter if you would rather go to a pokey cinema instead lol telstar1962
  • Score: 2

7:54am Thu 24 Oct 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

The Eden Project and Newquay Airport had millions of visitors when they first opened.
How many visitors have been to Penrose Road Art Centre so far ?

I am not against the Art Centre and acknowledge it is a good thing but a community centre was promised with that money as it was a community centre that was sold, not an Art Centre. Therefore I believe a community centre should take priority with that particular money.
The Eden Project and Newquay Airport had millions of visitors when they first opened. How many visitors have been to Penrose Road Art Centre so far ? I am not against the Art Centre and acknowledge it is a good thing but a community centre was promised with that money as it was a community centre that was sold, not an Art Centre. Therefore I believe a community centre should take priority with that particular money. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 3

8:23am Thu 24 Oct 13

telstar1962 says...

A Community Centre was promised without anyone on the Town Council proposing to do a proper costing either about cost of building or ongoing expenditure of maintenance or upkeep ( the latter being the reason why the Council finally needed to sell Penrose Road )

I might be old-fashioned, but the Covenant on this property can not be ignored, just because it is convenient to do so.

I have more confidence in the people in CAST to do a professional job in attracting visitors, than what has been seen so far with flower pots and painted buildings
A Community Centre was promised without anyone on the Town Council proposing to do a proper costing either about cost of building or ongoing expenditure of maintenance or upkeep ( the latter being the reason why the Council finally needed to sell Penrose Road ) I might be old-fashioned, but the Covenant on this property can not be ignored, just because it is convenient to do so. I have more confidence in the people in CAST to do a professional job in attracting visitors, than what has been seen so far with flower pots and painted buildings telstar1962
  • Score: -1

8:37am Thu 24 Oct 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Have you actually read the Packet this week regarding the community centre. I believe no money should be spent until all options have been explored.
Have you actually read the Packet this week regarding the community centre. I believe no money should be spent until all options have been explored. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 4

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree