Helston's have-a-go-hero Ingrid Loyau-Kennett "threatened" with arrest

Falmouth Packet: Hailed as a hero worldwide Ingrid Loyau-Kennett points to marks on her wall she says were caused by egg throwing youths Hailed as a hero worldwide Ingrid Loyau-Kennett points to marks on her wall she says were caused by egg throwing youths

Helston's have-a-go-heroine Ingrid Loyau-Kennett was "threatened" with arrest on Monday after police were called to a disturbance at her home.

Mrs Loyau-Kennett became a national treasure earlier this year when she intervened to help police called to the Woolwich murder of drummer Lee Rigby. She has subsequently been honoured with bravery awards.

But on Monday night, after calling 999 because of her dispute with three local youths, Mrs Loyau-Kennett found herself on the receiving end of a warning about an alleged breach of the peace.

“The policeman grabbed my arm and held it very tightly,” said Mrs Loyau-Kennett. “He was twisting my arm and wouldn't let go and told me that if I didn't calm down he would arrest me. I was trying to get him out of my house and to understand that I was the victim.”

Mrs Loyau-Kennett, 48, claims she has been the target of vandalism and says youths have in the past thrown eggs at her home.

She was dubbed “The Angel of Woolwich” after she jumped off a bus to confront two men later accused of killing Lee Rigby. Photographs of her talking with man holding a meat cleaver were flashed around the world. But that incident now appears to be taking its toll.

“I suffer from anxiety and stress,” she told the Packet, “and it has been getting worse since Woolwich. I have been told I have post traumatic stress disorder, but I get no help.”

An ambulance was called to Mrs Loyau-Kennett's home on Monday after she briefly collapsed following the altercation with police. Mrs Loyau-Kennett says it started after she went outside to speak to three local youths but denies she was threatening or aggressive.

Neighbours say they have been at loggerheads with Mrs Loyau-Kennett ever since she arrived to live at Bulwark Road three years ago. One neighbour, who intervened in Monday night's dispute before arrived, said the incident was simply the latest of many over the years.

“There were three young teenage lads running about outside,” she said. “They weren't doing anything wrong and weren't at all threatening. But she went outside and confronted them and there was a very heated argument - insults flying about all over the place. I tried to calm things down but it just got worse.”

Devon and Cornwall police confirmed they were called to Bulwark Road on Monday night and that a woman was given advice about her behaviour. “We are aware of community tensions on the estate and are stepping up patrols with a visibility police presence,” said a spokesman.

Other residents said tensions had been rising in recent days because of Mrs Loyau-Kennett's opposition to a community playground

Comments (13)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:47am Wed 23 Oct 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

I don't think anyone should oppose a community playground on the Bulwark Road estate, people have worked hard and fund raised for a long time to make the playground become a reality,
I don't think anyone should oppose a community playground on the Bulwark Road estate, people have worked hard and fund raised for a long time to make the playground become a reality, Gillian Zella Martin 09

11:05am Wed 23 Oct 13

Chris Frew says...

Ironic, seeing as though she uses anti-social behaviour as her main point for opposing the community playground.
Ironic, seeing as though she uses anti-social behaviour as her main point for opposing the community playground. Chris Frew

1:38pm Wed 23 Oct 13

meerkats says...

Mrs L-K .says she has Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and gets no help. i wonder if she has actually tried getting help ,if i was in that situation i would keep on to the relevant dept until i got help (but maybe thats just my way ).She does not seem happy living there with the proposed playground, if she is in rented accomodation through a housing authority coud she not put in for a transfer.? I think the Bulwark Road Residents have done a tremendous job with fund raising etc for the playground and should be commended, children need a safe environment to play in.
Mrs L-K .says she has Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and gets no help. i wonder if she has actually tried getting help ,if i was in that situation i would keep on to the relevant dept until i got help (but maybe thats just my way ).She does not seem happy living there with the proposed playground, if she is in rented accomodation through a housing authority coud she not put in for a transfer.? I think the Bulwark Road Residents have done a tremendous job with fund raising etc for the playground and should be commended, children need a safe environment to play in. meerkats

3:48pm Wed 23 Oct 13

Ken Helston says...

I think has been quoted in the past as saying she would not let people disrespect her, well maybe she should show some respect to others, she claims the policeman grabbed her arm and held it tightly and twisted it. I don't believe any local police officer would do that without good reason.
I think she is an attention seeker.
I think has been quoted in the past as saying she would not let people disrespect her, well maybe she should show some respect to others, she claims the policeman grabbed her arm and held it tightly and twisted it. I don't believe any local police officer would do that without good reason. I think she is an attention seeker. Ken Helston

9:18pm Wed 23 Oct 13

meerkats says...

meerkats wrote:
Mrs L-K .says she has Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and gets no help. i wonder if she has actually tried getting help ,if i was in that situation i would keep on to the relevant dept until i got help (but maybe thats just my way ).She does not seem happy living there with the proposed playground, if she is in rented accomodation through a housing authority coud she not put in for a transfer.? I think the Bulwark Road Residents have done a tremendous job with fund raising etc for the playground and should be commended, children need a safe environment to play in.
Could one of the Dislikers for my comment please explain why they gave it a dislike instead of just pressing the thumbs down. ,i would be interested in their reply, as i dont think my comment was any worse than what others have said ,yet they all get thumbs up..
[quote][p][bold]meerkats[/bold] wrote: Mrs L-K .says she has Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and gets no help. i wonder if she has actually tried getting help ,if i was in that situation i would keep on to the relevant dept until i got help (but maybe thats just my way ).She does not seem happy living there with the proposed playground, if she is in rented accomodation through a housing authority coud she not put in for a transfer.? I think the Bulwark Road Residents have done a tremendous job with fund raising etc for the playground and should be commended, children need a safe environment to play in.[/p][/quote]Could one of the Dislikers for my comment please explain why they gave it a dislike instead of just pressing the thumbs down. ,i would be interested in their reply, as i dont think my comment was any worse than what others have said ,yet they all get thumbs up.. meerkats

8:09am Thu 24 Oct 13

molesworth says...

Meerkats, I once went to school with a half Spanish boy called Pedro. One day in the playground someone called him 'pedalo' and everyone laughed. Pedro then made the fatal error of protesting, publicly, and saying he hated his name being mocked. You can guess what poor Pedro was called from then on. We all had 'teasing' nicknames but Pedalo was the only one to complain. Meerkats, someone is teasing you by giving you negative votes for your comments because you complained about getting negative votes.I fear that you may now get negative votes for anything you say. Please ignore them. I value your comments.
Meerkats, I once went to school with a half Spanish boy called Pedro. One day in the playground someone called him 'pedalo' and everyone laughed. Pedro then made the fatal error of protesting, publicly, and saying he hated his name being mocked. You can guess what poor Pedro was called from then on. We all had 'teasing' nicknames but Pedalo was the only one to complain. Meerkats, someone is teasing you by giving you negative votes for your comments because you complained about getting negative votes.I fear that you may now get negative votes for anything you say. Please ignore them. I value your comments. molesworth

9:01am Thu 24 Oct 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

I can't really answer your question meerkats as I did not press 'dislike,' however, I could make a guess, if molesworth is wrong. There is possibly not enough help available for all those suffering from PTSD, several years back I was offered the services of an NHS counsellor only because I was 'at risk' and refused anti depressants. I think there is a shortage of NHS counsellors.

A transfer for those living in housing association/council properties is probably not that easy as the transfer/exchange list is usually horrendously long.

There could be many reasons why people vote on the website but choose not to comment.

My first post should have read 'raised funds'
I can't really answer your question meerkats as I did not press 'dislike,' however, I could make a guess, if molesworth is wrong. There is possibly not enough help available for all those suffering from PTSD, several years back I was offered the services of an NHS counsellor only because I was 'at risk' and refused anti depressants. I think there is a shortage of NHS counsellors. A transfer for those living in housing association/council properties is probably not that easy as the transfer/exchange list is usually horrendously long. There could be many reasons why people vote on the website but choose not to comment. My first post should have read 'raised funds' Gillian Zella Martin 09

10:38am Thu 24 Oct 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Meerkats, I look at it like this, everyone is entitled to their own opinion whether or not they comment. I enjoy reading all opinions, I can learn from some of them. Sometimes it makes me see things from a different perspective. Your post about the swans being owned by the queen, I was not aware of that until you posted it, so even if some people thumbed your comment down, your comment was worthwhile to me as I learnt from it. Don't let the voting worry you I enjoy reading your comments.
Meerkats, I look at it like this, everyone is entitled to their own opinion whether or not they comment. I enjoy reading all opinions, I can learn from some of them. Sometimes it makes me see things from a different perspective. Your post about the swans being owned by the queen, I was not aware of that until you posted it, so even if some people thumbed your comment down, your comment was worthwhile to me as I learnt from it. Don't let the voting worry you I enjoy reading your comments. Gillian Zella Martin 09

10:47am Thu 24 Oct 13

meerkats says...

molesworth wrote:
Meerkats, I once went to school with a half Spanish boy called Pedro. One day in the playground someone called him 'pedalo' and everyone laughed. Pedro then made the fatal error of protesting, publicly, and saying he hated his name being mocked. You can guess what poor Pedro was called from then on. We all had 'teasing' nicknames but Pedalo was the only one to complain. Meerkats, someone is teasing you by giving you negative votes for your comments because you complained about getting negative votes.I fear that you may now get negative votes for anything you say. Please ignore them. I value your comments.
Thankyou ,i always enjoy reading your comments too.
[quote][p][bold]molesworth[/bold] wrote: Meerkats, I once went to school with a half Spanish boy called Pedro. One day in the playground someone called him 'pedalo' and everyone laughed. Pedro then made the fatal error of protesting, publicly, and saying he hated his name being mocked. You can guess what poor Pedro was called from then on. We all had 'teasing' nicknames but Pedalo was the only one to complain. Meerkats, someone is teasing you by giving you negative votes for your comments because you complained about getting negative votes.I fear that you may now get negative votes for anything you say. Please ignore them. I value your comments.[/p][/quote]Thankyou ,i always enjoy reading your comments too. meerkats

10:48am Thu 24 Oct 13

meerkats says...

Gillian Zella Martin 09 wrote:
Meerkats, I look at it like this, everyone is entitled to their own opinion whether or not they comment. I enjoy reading all opinions, I can learn from some of them. Sometimes it makes me see things from a different perspective. Your post about the swans being owned by the queen, I was not aware of that until you posted it, so even if some people thumbed your comment down, your comment was worthwhile to me as I learnt from it. Don't let the voting worry you I enjoy reading your comments.
Thanks Gill
[quote][p][bold]Gillian Zella Martin 09[/bold] wrote: Meerkats, I look at it like this, everyone is entitled to their own opinion whether or not they comment. I enjoy reading all opinions, I can learn from some of them. Sometimes it makes me see things from a different perspective. Your post about the swans being owned by the queen, I was not aware of that until you posted it, so even if some people thumbed your comment down, your comment was worthwhile to me as I learnt from it. Don't let the voting worry you I enjoy reading your comments.[/p][/quote]Thanks Gill meerkats

4:04pm Thu 24 Oct 13

rwarwicker says...

She is obviously a confrontational character. Confronting the Woolwich incident, confronting the play area scheme, confronting local teenagers, confronting the police. Also attention seeking coming to the media over this, and publicising herself getting her name in stars for Woolwich.
She is obviously a confrontational character. Confronting the Woolwich incident, confronting the play area scheme, confronting local teenagers, confronting the police. Also attention seeking coming to the media over this, and publicising herself getting her name in stars for Woolwich. rwarwicker

6:07pm Thu 24 Oct 13

molesworth says...

She likes to 'have-a-go'!
She likes to 'have-a-go'! molesworth

8:46am Fri 25 Oct 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

I've just read the post by 'hoponboard' on the article "Pride of Britain Award for Helston Hero" Sat 12th. The article that meerkats commented on.
'hoponboard' says that in an interview with the Telegraph Ms L-K says "we must remember to love thy neighbour"
I've just read the post by 'hoponboard' on the article "Pride of Britain Award for Helston Hero" Sat 12th. The article that meerkats commented on. 'hoponboard' says that in an interview with the Telegraph Ms L-K says "we must remember to love thy neighbour" Gillian Zella Martin 09

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree