Mystery white blob 'kills' dog on West Cornwall beach: UPDATE

Falmouth Packet: Mystery white blob 'kills' dog on West Cornwall beach Mystery white blob 'kills' dog on West Cornwall beach

UPDATE: The mysterious white substance found on some West Cornwall beaches is rancid cooking oil says Public Health England.

Experts are analysing a mystery substance that has washed up on West Cornwall beaches after a dog died shortly after eating it.

UPDATE: The public has been advised to avoid contact with the white waxy substance on Cornish beaches. CLICK HERE TO READ MORE

A Penzance vet has told the BBC that a three-year-old miniature schnauzer had eaten a white object on Long Rock beach on Tuesday, with two other dogs also falling ill after eating the substance on other west Cornwall beaches.

Worried pet owners have been calling vets concerned about their dogs vomiting and becoming ill, according to Mount's Bay Veterinary Centre, with vets running tests on what could be causing the illness.

The substance that one person said smelled like "firelighters" has also been found on Praa Sands, Porthcurno and Porthchapel beaches.

Some pieces were reported to be the "size of a cow pat" with others smaller pieces "scattered all over the beach".

The MCA say a "vegetable oil-like", washed up at Pedn Vounder beach, near the Minack Theatre, on Sunday.

A Maritime and Coastguard Agency spokesman said: "Samples of the suspected vegetable oil found near Land's End have been sent to two accredited laboratories for analysis.

"The MCA expects to have the results before the end of this week."

Dog owners are warned to keep a close eye on their pets

 

 

 

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree