Helston councillor holds her feet to the flames for 'fantastic fundraiser'

Helston councillor holds her feet to the flames for 'fantastic fundraiser'

Helston councillor holds her feet to the flames for 'fantastic fundraiser'

Helston councillor holds her feet to the flames for 'fantastic fundraiser'

Helston councillor holds her feet to the flames for 'fantastic fundraiser'

First published in News

WHILE more used to having their feet held to the flames by the electorate, one Helston town |councillor decided to do it to herself, all in the name of charity.

Cllr Martine Knight joined fundraisers for Little Harbour – Children’s Hospice South West at their firewalk event on Marazion Beach last Wednesday evening, helping raise £5,000 pledged in sponsorship.

The weather stayed dry for the 24 adrenaline seekers who walked bare foot over hot coals in front of friends and family cheering them from the safety of the sidelines.

Calling it a fantastic event, Martine said she happily escaped unscathed and when she washed off the black soot she did not have a mark on her feet.

Adding that while you would be foolish not to be a “little apprehensive”, she went into it with the frame of mind that if people were getting injured doing this a lot, it would not be done so often all over the country.

She said: “I’m delighted I did it, in fact I did it five times. I thought I may as well make the most of it as I was there. The people running it were very professional.”

Martine raised £160, with some more yet to come in from sponsors.

Sarah Stott, Events Fundraiser for Little Harbour says “We would like to say a massive thank you to our participants for raising such a fantastic amount, and to their family and friends for supporting them.

“It was an absolutely amazing evening at a fantastic location with the full moon being |visible and St Michael’s Mount looking so stunning, just topped it off! What a great sense of achievement for all our firewalkers – they have achieved what seemed impossible – well done everyone!”

Children’s Hospice South West would like to thank St Aubyn Estates, staff at The Godolphin Arms, Samba Celtica, Devon and Cornwall 4 x 4 Response, St John Ambulance and photographer Ciaran Henry. Volunteers from Penzance and Hayle friends groups are also thanked for their hard work in helping to promote the event and for being there on the night.

Funds raised from the Firewalk will fund the care and support offered at Little Harbour.

Comments (13)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:47pm Sat 26 Oct 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Certainly a very worthwhile cause to support, well done to all the participants.
Certainly a very worthwhile cause to support, well done to all the participants. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 7

5:05pm Sun 27 Oct 13

Ken Helston says...

It was rather a foregone conclusion your comment on this would get the thumbs down Gillian, with Cllr Knight getting publicity again. You should have avoided commenting on it.
It was rather a foregone conclusion your comment on this would get the thumbs down Gillian, with Cllr Knight getting publicity again. You should have avoided commenting on it. Ken Helston
  • Score: 1

6:30pm Sun 27 Oct 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

I am not going to refrain from saying what I believe is right just because my comments may be disliked.

In my view, any fund raising for any charity is a good thing, the publicity is irrelevant, it is the norm for most charity events to be publicised.
Anyone that has been affected by any of the causes that any charity supports would, I imagine, appreciate the efforts of any fund raisers.
Many Councillors participate in charity events, I cannot see what relevance doing something for charity has with their position as Councillor.
Many people have personal reasons for supporting charities and I believe those reasons should be respected.
I am not going to refrain from saying what I believe is right just because my comments may be disliked. In my view, any fund raising for any charity is a good thing, the publicity is irrelevant, it is the norm for most charity events to be publicised. Anyone that has been affected by any of the causes that any charity supports would, I imagine, appreciate the efforts of any fund raisers. Many Councillors participate in charity events, I cannot see what relevance doing something for charity has with their position as Councillor. Many people have personal reasons for supporting charities and I believe those reasons should be respected. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 8

7:32pm Sun 27 Oct 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

I will always admit when I am wrong.

I suggest Councillor Councillor Andrew Wallis does not "go running to the press" more so that the press does the approaching.

It would be in the Packets interest to cover the charity event that Councillor Martine Knight participated in, it is after all a local paper which likes to publish news items of local interest, generally speaking they cover all the local charity events.
I will always admit when I am wrong. I suggest Councillor Councillor Andrew Wallis does not "go running to the press" more so that the press does the approaching. It would be in the Packets interest to cover the charity event that Councillor Martine Knight participated in, it is after all a local paper which likes to publish news items of local interest, generally speaking they cover all the local charity events. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 8

7:52pm Sun 27 Oct 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

I have seen many times in the Packet about charity events that involve Councillors other than Councillor Martine Knight, may I politely suggest you refer to the Packet Archives.

Councillor Wallis is neither a publicity seeker or useless Councillor.
It is the job of newspaper reporters to report and therefore they seek news items.
If you did some research on Councillor Andrew Wallis you could ascertain plenty of information as to his achievements in his position of Councillor.
I have seen many times in the Packet about charity events that involve Councillors other than Councillor Martine Knight, may I politely suggest you refer to the Packet Archives. Councillor Wallis is neither a publicity seeker or useless Councillor. It is the job of newspaper reporters to report and therefore they seek news items. If you did some research on Councillor Andrew Wallis you could ascertain plenty of information as to his achievements in his position of Councillor. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 9

8:11pm Sun 27 Oct 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

I do not agree with un-ring fencing the money at the current time but that has no relevance to Councillor Martine Knight participating in a charity event.

In my view no councillor is useless.
I do not agree with un-ring fencing the money at the current time but that has no relevance to Councillor Martine Knight participating in a charity event. In my view no councillor is useless. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 12

8:55pm Sun 27 Oct 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

PR Helston wrote:
Your'e a coward Gillian you wont admit you are wrong about useless Cllr Knight and useless Cllr Wallis, wait until the uselss BIP have wasted all the Helston money then you will blame Cllr Wallis. And I can't find any other story about any Cllr doing a charity event except yes, Cllr Knight.
I object to this post PR because whilst you are entitled to your opinions, you have stated as fact that I would blame Councillor Andrew Wallis when the HBIP "have wasted all the Helston money" I would categorically not blame Councillor Andrew Wallis for any such thing.
[quote][p][bold]PR Helston[/bold] wrote: Your'e a coward Gillian you wont admit you are wrong about useless Cllr Knight and useless Cllr Wallis, wait until the uselss BIP have wasted all the Helston money then you will blame Cllr Wallis. And I can't find any other story about any Cllr doing a charity event except yes, Cllr Knight.[/p][/quote]I object to this post PR because whilst you are entitled to your opinions, you have stated as fact that I would blame Councillor Andrew Wallis when the HBIP "have wasted all the Helston money" I would categorically not blame Councillor Andrew Wallis for any such thing. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 11

8:15am Mon 28 Oct 13

Ken Helston says...

PR you are completely OTT, maybe you should lay off the beer. You are so out of order. You are talking a load of drivel. Yes Cllr Wallis belongs to the BIP, I don't think much of him as a Cllr but then I don't really think much of any Cornwall Cllr but it has nothing to do with the BIP that is a completely different voluntary thing, they might not have spent all the money wisely but that is down to the members of the BIP that deal with the money side of things. Mrs Geer did not say the BIP had wasted money. Some of us might think Cllr Knight is a useless publicity seeking Cllr that wants to waste away the community centre money but it has nothing to do with her charity event, she wasn't the only person doing the charity event, how do you know what jobs if any, all the other people participating do? Gillian is right, it has nothing to do with Cllr Knight entering a charity event and being a Cllr, the next elections are 4 years away anyway, a lot could happen in that time. If Cllrs can't do charity events then would anyone become a Cllr?
The people that thumbed down Gillians first comment ought to be ashamed of themselves because they have thumbed down the principle of a good cause and the people participating in it, just to prove their own petty small point about getting at Cllr Knight.
PR you are completely OTT, maybe you should lay off the beer. You are so out of order. You are talking a load of drivel. Yes Cllr Wallis belongs to the BIP, I don't think much of him as a Cllr but then I don't really think much of any Cornwall Cllr but it has nothing to do with the BIP that is a completely different voluntary thing, they might not have spent all the money wisely but that is down to the members of the BIP that deal with the money side of things. Mrs Geer did not say the BIP had wasted money. Some of us might think Cllr Knight is a useless publicity seeking Cllr that wants to waste away the community centre money but it has nothing to do with her charity event, she wasn't the only person doing the charity event, how do you know what jobs if any, all the other people participating do? Gillian is right, it has nothing to do with Cllr Knight entering a charity event and being a Cllr, the next elections are 4 years away anyway, a lot could happen in that time. If Cllrs can't do charity events then would anyone become a Cllr? The people that thumbed down Gillians first comment ought to be ashamed of themselves because they have thumbed down the principle of a good cause and the people participating in it, just to prove their own petty small point about getting at Cllr Knight. Ken Helston
  • Score: 8

5:35pm Mon 28 Oct 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

PR are you always rude to people or only when you can do so under a pseudonym.
The HBIP do not waste money and even if hypothetically they did, I would not blame Councillor Andrew Wallis as he is not responsible for the finances of the HBIP.
PR are you always rude to people or only when you can do so under a pseudonym. The HBIP do not waste money and even if hypothetically they did, I would not blame Councillor Andrew Wallis as he is not responsible for the finances of the HBIP. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 7

6:35pm Mon 28 Oct 13

Ken Helston says...

Please just ignore all PRs comments he is my brother and drunk again as usual, I will keep him away from the computer that we share in the future. He talks a load of drivel.
Please just ignore all PRs comments he is my brother and drunk again as usual, I will keep him away from the computer that we share in the future. He talks a load of drivel. Ken Helston
  • Score: 6

6:56pm Mon 28 Oct 13

meerkats says...

PR Helston wrote:
Gillian Zella Martin 09 wrote:
PR Helston wrote:
Your'e a coward Gillian you wont admit you are wrong about useless Cllr Knight and useless Cllr Wallis, wait until the uselss BIP have wasted all the Helston money then you will blame Cllr Wallis. And I can't find any other story about any Cllr doing a charity event except yes, Cllr Knight.
I object to this post PR because whilst you are entitled to your opinions, you have stated as fact that I would blame Councillor Andrew Wallis when the HBIP "have wasted all the Helston money" I would categorically not blame Councillor Andrew Wallis for any such thing.
Beer or no beer, though it is rather nice Ken Helston i'm just telling it as it is.

No comment from meerkats on this one that's unusual, still afraid of a titchy few thumbs down pathetic.

Tough Gillian if you don't like my post i'll write this one instead. YOU WOULD blame Cllr Wallis when all the useless BIP has wasted all the money because he is a Cornwall Cllr and belongs to the BIP and I think he should be more responsible. You and Telstar claim to be interested in Helston so you wouldn't want the BIP wasting the money until its all gone. So YOU WOULD blame Cllr Wallis for the waste of money by the BIP. Hope you prefer this post.
You are very rude , and no i hadnt commented on this article , but simply because i do not have time to read every news item , i am not afraid of a few titchy thumbs down as you put it. I have no intention of going to any Council Meetings but if i was going it would take more than you to stop me. You say i am pathetic ,maybe take a look at yourself first.
[quote][p][bold]PR Helston[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gillian Zella Martin 09[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]PR Helston[/bold] wrote: Your'e a coward Gillian you wont admit you are wrong about useless Cllr Knight and useless Cllr Wallis, wait until the uselss BIP have wasted all the Helston money then you will blame Cllr Wallis. And I can't find any other story about any Cllr doing a charity event except yes, Cllr Knight.[/p][/quote]I object to this post PR because whilst you are entitled to your opinions, you have stated as fact that I would blame Councillor Andrew Wallis when the HBIP "have wasted all the Helston money" I would categorically not blame Councillor Andrew Wallis for any such thing.[/p][/quote]Beer or no beer, though it is rather nice Ken Helston i'm just telling it as it is. No comment from meerkats on this one that's unusual, still afraid of a titchy few thumbs down pathetic. Tough Gillian if you don't like my post i'll write this one instead. YOU WOULD blame Cllr Wallis when all the useless BIP has wasted all the money because he is a Cornwall Cllr and belongs to the BIP and I think he should be more responsible. You and Telstar claim to be interested in Helston so you wouldn't want the BIP wasting the money until its all gone. So YOU WOULD blame Cllr Wallis for the waste of money by the BIP. Hope you prefer this post.[/p][/quote]You are very rude , and no i hadnt commented on this article , but simply because i do not have time to read every news item , i am not afraid of a few titchy thumbs down as you put it. I have no intention of going to any Council Meetings but if i was going it would take more than you to stop me. You say i am pathetic ,maybe take a look at yourself first. meerkats
  • Score: 3

3:25pm Tue 29 Oct 13

krazyitchkatie says...

Phew, I had been concerned about PR's unsubstantiated criticism of how the BIP spend money, but thankfully he has totally discredited himself.
Cheers.
Phew, I had been concerned about PR's unsubstantiated criticism of how the BIP spend money, but thankfully he has totally discredited himself. Cheers. krazyitchkatie
  • Score: 2

3:36pm Tue 29 Oct 13

meerkats says...

PR Helston wrote:
I bet you never admit to anyone Gillian when you are wrong, Cllr Knight is a publicity seeker, of course being a Cllr has a connection, how about look at me aren't I doing a good thing, vote for me again next time.
Why not go off and do it without telling the press. It's like Cllr Wallis always ends up running to the press to tell them things to get noticed like about the community college.
In a previous issue of the Packet ,there was a report that Cllr Knight would be dong this Fund raising event., it was something very personal to her ,as she has had a difficult year due to losing a son. I find it quite sad and pathetic that PR is slating her and calling her a publicity seeker as she done this to raise funds for a very worthy cause .Her standing as a Councillor has nothing to do with it. I do not agree with her proposals so far , but her work and private life are two different things, entirely. Also this article has nothing to do with Cllr Wallis ,so why bring him into it ? incidentally seeing as you have mentioned him i think he is a very good Councillor.
[quote][p][bold]PR Helston[/bold] wrote: I bet you never admit to anyone Gillian when you are wrong, Cllr Knight is a publicity seeker, of course being a Cllr has a connection, how about look at me aren't I doing a good thing, vote for me again next time. Why not go off and do it without telling the press. It's like Cllr Wallis always ends up running to the press to tell them things to get noticed like about the community college.[/p][/quote]In a previous issue of the Packet ,there was a report that Cllr Knight would be dong this Fund raising event., it was something very personal to her ,as she has had a difficult year due to losing a son. I find it quite sad and pathetic that PR is slating her and calling her a publicity seeker as she done this to raise funds for a very worthy cause .Her standing as a Councillor has nothing to do with it. I do not agree with her proposals so far , but her work and private life are two different things, entirely. Also this article has nothing to do with Cllr Wallis ,so why bring him into it ? incidentally seeing as you have mentioned him i think he is a very good Councillor. meerkats
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree