Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting PKNEWS to 80360
Anger as bus cuts leave no direct route to Truro
10:00am Thursday 21st November 2013 in News
Mylor residents are “up in arms” at the loss of public transport to Truro following cuts to local First bus services.
With recent changes to supported bus services throughout Cornwall, the 400 route from Falmouth to Truro via Mylor no longer operates. While there is a replacement service, the 69, running to Falmouth, travellers to Truro now have to change to a train at Perranwell Station.
John Symons, chairman of Mylor Parish Council, said that people in the village are “up in arms about it”.
He said: “Especially in Mylor, it’s the only means of transport, at least in Flushing there is a ferry in the summer.
“We are looking at alternative arrangements for local buses. We have a meeting with Cornwall Councillor Bert Biscoe in three weeks time to discuss what he can do to help us, and invite other bus companies to take over.
“Until we meet with Councillor Biscoe we can’t really say anything but we’re looking for alternative companies, even for just one trip a week to Truro.”
Cornwall Council said the 400 had been withdrawn after a review into the patronage of supported services across the county. According to its research, the busiest journeys to Truro had an average of between five and eight passengers, who tended to return on different journeys.
The council said: “We worked with the bus operators to identify services which did not carry sufficient passengers. We then consulted with Travelwatch Southwest over these changes.
“We will shortly be retendering for the supported bus network with new contracts to start in April. Once the cost of these tenders is known, we will look again at bus service provision.”
Comments are closed on this article.