Mullion's council tax to rise

Falmouth Packet: Mullion's council tax to rise Mullion's council tax to rise

Villagers in Mullion will see a two per cent rise on the portion of their council tax that goes to the parish council.

Councillors agreed at their last meeting that the increase on the precept demand was necessary so that they could carry out the necessary work during the next financial year.

The rise equates to a 82p per year increase to a Band D property.

Parish clerk Sam Folds said: “The future uncertainty of service provisions by Cornwall Council could mean that more and more responsibility is passed on to parish councils, and Mullion is determined to be able to provide essential services to the public, such as the opening of public conveniences.”

Cornwall Council has already said that it will be raising council by 1.9 per cent, in order to prevent even greater cuts in services, with the Devon and Cornwall Police percentage yet to be announced.

Comments (35)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:59am Sat 28 Dec 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

I like the accompanying picture of the little house made out of money, nice touch.

What I believe wrong, is that many parish and town councils are siting public toilets as one of the reasons for an increase in their precept and yet many toilets now are subject to seasonal opening, whereas when under the control of Cornwall Council many were open all year. Opening/cleaning of toilets should be cheaper on a local level than that of district control with Cornwall Council, in a county that is trying to promote an extended tourist season it seems wrong to close toilets on a seasonal basis. I think there should be at least one public toilet open in all towns and villages all year round.
I like the accompanying picture of the little house made out of money, nice touch. What I believe wrong, is that many parish and town councils are siting public toilets as one of the reasons for an increase in their precept and yet many toilets now are subject to seasonal opening, whereas when under the control of Cornwall Council many were open all year. Opening/cleaning of toilets should be cheaper on a local level than that of district control with Cornwall Council, in a county that is trying to promote an extended tourist season it seems wrong to close toilets on a seasonal basis. I think there should be at least one public toilet open in all towns and villages all year round. Gillian Zella Martin 09

10:39am Sat 28 Dec 13

iandharvey says...

I agree totally with Gillian's comment that at least one toilet should be open year round. In Mullion this is the toilet at the entrance to the Tremenhee car park, while two other toilets are seasonal. When the toilet at Mullion Cove is closed there is a sign telling people where the nearest public toilet is located. The disabled toilet at Poldhu Cove has been open during the half term and Christmas holiday periods. For users of the cafe at Poldhu Cove there is a toilet on the premises. As part of the transfer to Mullion Parish Council, Cornwall Council provide a grant towards the cost of running the toilets. This does not cover the costs of providing the current level of service and therefore a slight increase in precept is required.
I agree totally with Gillian's comment that at least one toilet should be open year round. In Mullion this is the toilet at the entrance to the Tremenhee car park, while two other toilets are seasonal. When the toilet at Mullion Cove is closed there is a sign telling people where the nearest public toilet is located. The disabled toilet at Poldhu Cove has been open during the half term and Christmas holiday periods. For users of the cafe at Poldhu Cove there is a toilet on the premises. As part of the transfer to Mullion Parish Council, Cornwall Council provide a grant towards the cost of running the toilets. This does not cover the costs of providing the current level of service and therefore a slight increase in precept is required. iandharvey

11:30am Sat 28 Dec 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

That in my view is currently the downfall of Porthleven, both sets of public toilets are closed. However, looking on the bright side, it gives a good excuse for me to have lunch in the pub.
That in my view is currently the downfall of Porthleven, both sets of public toilets are closed. However, looking on the bright side, it gives a good excuse for me to have lunch in the pub. Gillian Zella Martin 09

1:25pm Sat 28 Dec 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

If Mullion Parish Council wish to raise revenue then maybe they should start charging for the car-parks, one of which seems to attract the parking of many camper vans year round. Most other towns and villages charge for parking, why should residents bear the complete burden of facilities mainly used by tourists. I think toilets should be available in every town and village as should parking facilities, however, it seems a little one sided, if I go to Helston or Porthleven I have to pay to park and in Porthleven the toilets are closed, whereas if a visitor comes to Mullion, toilets are available all year and parking is free, all at a cost to the local council tax payer.
If Mullion Parish Council wish to raise revenue then maybe they should start charging for the car-parks, one of which seems to attract the parking of many camper vans year round. Most other towns and villages charge for parking, why should residents bear the complete burden of facilities mainly used by tourists. I think toilets should be available in every town and village as should parking facilities, however, it seems a little one sided, if I go to Helston or Porthleven I have to pay to park and in Porthleven the toilets are closed, whereas if a visitor comes to Mullion, toilets are available all year and parking is free, all at a cost to the local council tax payer. Gillian Zella Martin 09

3:27pm Sat 28 Dec 13

iandharvey says...

Parking facilities in Mullion village are not free or paid for by council tax payers. There are honesty boxes which generate several hundred pounds every month. Camper vans and commercial vehicles are monitored and local owners are asked for contributions. If charges were made, Mullion council tax payers would have to pay for the management of the car park. It is unlikely that this would generate higher revenue and could deter visitors from using the businesses in the village or cause greater congestion. (The car park at Poldhu Cove is managed by Cornwall Council who collect all of the money from it).
Parking facilities in Mullion village are not free or paid for by council tax payers. There are honesty boxes which generate several hundred pounds every month. Camper vans and commercial vehicles are monitored and local owners are asked for contributions. If charges were made, Mullion council tax payers would have to pay for the management of the car park. It is unlikely that this would generate higher revenue and could deter visitors from using the businesses in the village or cause greater congestion. (The car park at Poldhu Cove is managed by Cornwall Council who collect all of the money from it). iandharvey

4:40pm Sat 28 Dec 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

iandharvey wrote:
Parking facilities in Mullion village are not free or paid for by council tax payers. There are honesty boxes which generate several hundred pounds every month. Camper vans and commercial vehicles are monitored and local owners are asked for contributions. If charges were made, Mullion council tax payers would have to pay for the management of the car park. It is unlikely that this would generate higher revenue and could deter visitors from using the businesses in the village or cause greater congestion. (The car park at Poldhu Cove is managed by Cornwall Council who collect all of the money from it).
Parking facilities in Mullion 'are' free and have donation boxes, clearly marked, donations for the upkeep of the car-park and local charities, this differs from an honesty box, honesty boxes are used alongside a set priced fee such as a pound etc. I dispute Mullion car-parks raise several hundred pounds every month. Charging for car-parks generally raises more money than donation boxes.
I am well aware Poldhu car-park is owned by Cornwall Council and was not referring to that, to clarify, I only refer to both car-parks in Lender Lane Mullion.

As the maintenance of both car-parks in my view is well up to date and currently perfectly satisfactory, and I am aware Mullion in Bloom attend the floral displays within the car-park area, then presumably Mullion Parish Council are donating hundreds of pounds to charity throughout the year, if as you say, the car-parks are generating hundreds of pounds a month, of which I shall now be seeking clarification.
[quote][p][bold]iandharvey[/bold] wrote: Parking facilities in Mullion village are not free or paid for by council tax payers. There are honesty boxes which generate several hundred pounds every month. Camper vans and commercial vehicles are monitored and local owners are asked for contributions. If charges were made, Mullion council tax payers would have to pay for the management of the car park. It is unlikely that this would generate higher revenue and could deter visitors from using the businesses in the village or cause greater congestion. (The car park at Poldhu Cove is managed by Cornwall Council who collect all of the money from it).[/p][/quote]Parking facilities in Mullion 'are' free and have donation boxes, clearly marked, donations for the upkeep of the car-park and local charities, this differs from an honesty box, honesty boxes are used alongside a set priced fee such as a pound etc. I dispute Mullion car-parks raise several hundred pounds every month. Charging for car-parks generally raises more money than donation boxes. I am well aware Poldhu car-park is owned by Cornwall Council and was not referring to that, to clarify, I only refer to both car-parks in Lender Lane Mullion. As the maintenance of both car-parks in my view is well up to date and currently perfectly satisfactory, and I am aware Mullion in Bloom attend the floral displays within the car-park area, then presumably Mullion Parish Council are donating hundreds of pounds to charity throughout the year, if as you say, the car-parks are generating hundreds of pounds a month, of which I shall now be seeking clarification. Gillian Zella Martin 09

5:22pm Sat 28 Dec 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Just to clarify, when I stated in one of my posts "all at a cost to the local council tax payer," I was actually referring to the toilets, meaning that visitors have toilets open all year at council tax payers expense in Mullion, whereas in some other towns/villages toilets are seasonal, thus making it in my view a little one sided with cost and availability, toilets are after all, an essential not a luxury.
Just to clarify, when I stated in one of my posts "all at a cost to the local council tax payer," I was actually referring to the toilets, meaning that visitors have toilets open all year at council tax payers expense in Mullion, whereas in some other towns/villages toilets are seasonal, thus making it in my view a little one sided with cost and availability, toilets are after all, an essential not a luxury. Gillian Zella Martin 09

5:37pm Sat 28 Dec 13

iandharvey says...

Mullion Parish Council welcomes members of the public to all meetings where the toilets and car parks are frequently discussed. Details can be found at: http://mullionparish
council.org.uk/
Mullion Parish Council welcomes members of the public to all meetings where the toilets and car parks are frequently discussed. Details can be found at: http://mullionparish council.org.uk/ iandharvey

6:07pm Sat 28 Dec 13

Rainbow over Helston says...

Wow, let me get this right, Ian D Harvey who is a Mullion Parish Cllr says the parking facilities in Mullion are not free and Gill R Zella Martin who is a member of the public says the parking facilities are free in Mullion. My money is on Gill being right, if she is then i think the Cllr should apologise. Funny having Cllrs that dont know their own village parking facilities are free lol
Wow, let me get this right, Ian D Harvey who is a Mullion Parish Cllr says the parking facilities in Mullion are not free and Gill R Zella Martin who is a member of the public says the parking facilities are free in Mullion. My money is on Gill being right, if she is then i think the Cllr should apologise. Funny having Cllrs that dont know their own village parking facilities are free lol Rainbow over Helston

6:46pm Sat 28 Dec 13

Rainbow over Helston says...

I'll pop into Mullion for a Parish council meeting and ask why the representative from their council says there is no free parking facilities in Mullion and a member of the public says there is? I could ask how much money they give to charities if they are making hundreds of pounds every month like Ian.Harvey says they are from the car parks, after all, he is giving out wrong information on a public website if the car park facilities in Mullion are advertised as free. Are you sure they are free Gill?
I'll pop into Mullion for a Parish council meeting and ask why the representative from their council says there is no free parking facilities in Mullion and a member of the public says there is? I could ask how much money they give to charities if they are making hundreds of pounds every month like Ian.Harvey says they are from the car parks, after all, he is giving out wrong information on a public website if the car park facilities in Mullion are advertised as free. Are you sure they are free Gill? Rainbow over Helston

7:05pm Sat 28 Dec 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Rainbow, I think it is safe to say that everyone makes mistakes, I know I do frequently.
At least Ian Harvey posts under his own name and not a pseudonym, for that which I give him credit and think he deserves respect.

Yes, I am perfectly sure the two car-parks in Lender Lane Mullion are free, they have a large notice at the entrance to each, stating, Free Parking Donations Welcome, the notice additionally states donations are used for the upkeep of the car park and charities.
Rainbow, I think it is safe to say that everyone makes mistakes, I know I do frequently. At least Ian Harvey posts under his own name and not a pseudonym, for that which I give him credit and think he deserves respect. Yes, I am perfectly sure the two car-parks in Lender Lane Mullion are free, they have a large notice at the entrance to each, stating, Free Parking Donations Welcome, the notice additionally states donations are used for the upkeep of the car park and charities. Gillian Zella Martin 09

7:43pm Sat 28 Dec 13

iandharvey says...

There is no compulsion, so for people who are unable or unwilling to make a donation in our honesty boxes then the car parks are FREE. If you look at my original comment, I was responding to Gillian's statement that we should charge for the car parks so that residents do not bear the costs. Even without fixed charges many people make donations that support the upkeep of the car parks and other charitable donations.
There is no compulsion, so for people who are unable or unwilling to make a donation in our honesty boxes then the car parks are FREE. If you look at my original comment, I was responding to Gillian's statement that we should charge for the car parks so that residents do not bear the costs. Even without fixed charges many people make donations that support the upkeep of the car parks and other charitable donations. iandharvey

8:20pm Sat 28 Dec 13

Rainbow over Helston says...

Gill only said if the Mullion Parish council wanted to raise some revenue they could charge for the car parks, you said the parking facilities are not free, they are free, a donation is a free will offering , that is why it is a donation and they are not honesty boxes they are donation boxes, honesty indicates you should be putting in a specified charge usually stated on the board. I think you are back tracking, an honesty box says honesty box a donation box days donation box. Do you ever see a box on a shop counter for example that says honesty box? They say donations for whatever cause, an honesty box indicates you should be honest and deposit the amount specified. I think a good Cllr would admit when they were wrong. Glad i dont live in Mullion.
Gill only said if the Mullion Parish council wanted to raise some revenue they could charge for the car parks, you said the parking facilities are not free, they are free, a donation is a free will offering , that is why it is a donation and they are not honesty boxes they are donation boxes, honesty indicates you should be putting in a specified charge usually stated on the board. I think you are back tracking, an honesty box says honesty box a donation box days donation box. Do you ever see a box on a shop counter for example that says honesty box? They say donations for whatever cause, an honesty box indicates you should be honest and deposit the amount specified. I think a good Cllr would admit when they were wrong. Glad i dont live in Mullion. Rainbow over Helston

8:29pm Sat 28 Dec 13

Rainbow over Helston says...

Of course some people give donations which help with.upkeep, but hundreds of pounds every month you said, so how much is given to charity?
Of course some people give donations which help with.upkeep, but hundreds of pounds every month you said, so how much is given to charity? Rainbow over Helston

8:49pm Sat 28 Dec 13

Rainbow over Helston says...

Right then, i think the notices should say, car park, if you are unwilling or unable to make a donation then the facilities are free otherwise please put your sort of free will donation in the honesty box because we are trusting your honesty to be honest about something which isnt specified.
Right then, i think the notices should say, car park, if you are unwilling or unable to make a donation then the facilities are free otherwise please put your sort of free will donation in the honesty box because we are trusting your honesty to be honest about something which isnt specified. Rainbow over Helston

9:43pm Sat 28 Dec 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

I am probably at fault for not being explicit initially, perhaps what I should have said was, Mullion Parish Council could raise some extra revenue by charging for the currently two free car-parks in Lender Lane. I believe this revenue would likely exceed the income gained from current donations and the money could then be used not only for the upkeep of the car-parks which I believe would be minimal due to their current good state of repair, but additionally to offset any extra costs incurred by the Parish Council in the running of the public toilets, this could then possibly relieve the council tax payers the burden of, or at least partly, public toilet costs, which is sited as one reason for the raise in precept, and instead transfer the cost onto the users of the car-parks.
It appears to me, unfair to pay as a council tax payer for public toilets to be provided in Mullion for visitors use all year round, when I myself as a visitor to other villages such as Porthleven will not be afforded that advantage, as their toilets as are many others, seasonal. In addition to which parking has to be paid for in many other towns and villages. There are free parking bays throughout the village adjacent to the businesses and the post office has its own car-park, as does Mullion Meadows complex.
It was actually only a random spur of the moment thought.
I am probably at fault for not being explicit initially, perhaps what I should have said was, Mullion Parish Council could raise some extra revenue by charging for the currently two free car-parks in Lender Lane. I believe this revenue would likely exceed the income gained from current donations and the money could then be used not only for the upkeep of the car-parks which I believe would be minimal due to their current good state of repair, but additionally to offset any extra costs incurred by the Parish Council in the running of the public toilets, this could then possibly relieve the council tax payers the burden of, or at least partly, public toilet costs, which is sited as one reason for the raise in precept, and instead transfer the cost onto the users of the car-parks. It appears to me, unfair to pay as a council tax payer for public toilets to be provided in Mullion for visitors use all year round, when I myself as a visitor to other villages such as Porthleven will not be afforded that advantage, as their toilets as are many others, seasonal. In addition to which parking has to be paid for in many other towns and villages. There are free parking bays throughout the village adjacent to the businesses and the post office has its own car-park, as does Mullion Meadows complex. It was actually only a random spur of the moment thought. Gillian Zella Martin 09

9:03am Sun 29 Dec 13

iandharvey says...

Gillian Zella Martin 09 wrote:
I am probably at fault for not being explicit initially, perhaps what I should have said was, Mullion Parish Council could raise some extra revenue by charging for the currently two free car-parks in Lender Lane. I believe this revenue would likely exceed the income gained from current donations and the money could then be used not only for the upkeep of the car-parks which I believe would be minimal due to their current good state of repair, but additionally to offset any extra costs incurred by the Parish Council in the running of the public toilets, this could then possibly relieve the council tax payers the burden of, or at least partly, public toilet costs, which is sited as one reason for the raise in precept, and instead transfer the cost onto the users of the car-parks.
It appears to me, unfair to pay as a council tax payer for public toilets to be provided in Mullion for visitors use all year round, when I myself as a visitor to other villages such as Porthleven will not be afforded that advantage, as their toilets as are many others, seasonal. In addition to which parking has to be paid for in many other towns and villages. There are free parking bays throughout the village adjacent to the businesses and the post office has its own car-park, as does Mullion Meadows complex.
It was actually only a random spur of the moment thought.
Thank you for the clarification. I think we both understand the point you were making and my clarification. Any extra revenue would be offset by the cost of managing the car park. You may not agree, but our view is that employing a company or an individual to monitor the car park would soon swallow up any additional revenue.
[quote][p][bold]Gillian Zella Martin 09[/bold] wrote: I am probably at fault for not being explicit initially, perhaps what I should have said was, Mullion Parish Council could raise some extra revenue by charging for the currently two free car-parks in Lender Lane. I believe this revenue would likely exceed the income gained from current donations and the money could then be used not only for the upkeep of the car-parks which I believe would be minimal due to their current good state of repair, but additionally to offset any extra costs incurred by the Parish Council in the running of the public toilets, this could then possibly relieve the council tax payers the burden of, or at least partly, public toilet costs, which is sited as one reason for the raise in precept, and instead transfer the cost onto the users of the car-parks. It appears to me, unfair to pay as a council tax payer for public toilets to be provided in Mullion for visitors use all year round, when I myself as a visitor to other villages such as Porthleven will not be afforded that advantage, as their toilets as are many others, seasonal. In addition to which parking has to be paid for in many other towns and villages. There are free parking bays throughout the village adjacent to the businesses and the post office has its own car-park, as does Mullion Meadows complex. It was actually only a random spur of the moment thought.[/p][/quote]Thank you for the clarification. I think we both understand the point you were making and my clarification. Any extra revenue would be offset by the cost of managing the car park. You may not agree, but our view is that employing a company or an individual to monitor the car park would soon swallow up any additional revenue. iandharvey

9:13am Sun 29 Dec 13

Rainbow over Helston says...

I took a trip over to Mullion to look at the infamous car parks, Gill is right the signs say free parking donations welcome and the box actually says donation box on it NOT honesty box, i think Cllr Ian Harvey should apologise to Gill he is wrong they are NOT honesty boxes. Also i cant see how he can state they monitor campervans and ask local owners for a contribution, do they have legal access then to ownership details or do they spy on people or follow them around? Isnt that descrimination against local people in a free car park? If the car park states free donations welcome then what right has anyone got to approach local people to ask for contributions? It all sounds
a bit far fetched to me. How would they know if someone had already made a donation in the box or not when asking for a contribution? Is it right to advertise free parking then ask local campervan owners for a contribution? Havnt Mullion Cllrs got anything better to do than go round monitoring campervans?









a cbit far fethr
I took a trip over to Mullion to look at the infamous car parks, Gill is right the signs say free parking donations welcome and the box actually says donation box on it NOT honesty box, i think Cllr Ian Harvey should apologise to Gill he is wrong they are NOT honesty boxes. Also i cant see how he can state they monitor campervans and ask local owners for a contribution, do they have legal access then to ownership details or do they spy on people or follow them around? Isnt that descrimination against local people in a free car park? If the car park states free donations welcome then what right has anyone got to approach local people to ask for contributions? It all sounds a bit far fetched to me. How would they know if someone had already made a donation in the box or not when asking for a contribution? Is it right to advertise free parking then ask local campervan owners for a contribution? Havnt Mullion Cllrs got anything better to do than go round monitoring campervans? a cbit far fethr Rainbow over Helston

10:32am Sun 29 Dec 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Rainbow, if you lived in a village then I am sure you would realise you do not need to spy on people or follow them around to get a fairly good idea of who many local residents are and what vehicles they may happen to own, it is a fact of village life.
I personally see nothing wrong in asking anyone who benefits from parking a vehicle such as a camper van or commercial vehicle in a public car-park on a regular basis for storage/regular parking reasons, for a parking donation.

I would be interested to know which parish or town council's jurisdiction you come under? I have the feeling I should know who you are because there are very few people aware of my middle name (R) (and I can categorically eliminate all family members) and yet I remain mystified as to your identity.

Mullion Parish Council, generally speaking, I believe do a very good job, it should be remembered all Parish and Town Councillors are volunteers and as such I personally believe that if one wishes to raise an issue with any Parish or Town Councillor or indeed Cornwall Councillor, on line (public website) or personally (e-mail), then they should afford them the courtesy of so doing, using their real name.
Rainbow, if you lived in a village then I am sure you would realise you do not need to spy on people or follow them around to get a fairly good idea of who many local residents are and what vehicles they may happen to own, it is a fact of village life. I personally see nothing wrong in asking anyone who benefits from parking a vehicle such as a camper van or commercial vehicle in a public car-park on a regular basis for storage/regular parking reasons, for a parking donation. I would be interested to know which parish or town council's jurisdiction you come under? I have the feeling I should know who you are because there are very few people aware of my middle name (R) (and I can categorically eliminate all family members) and yet I remain mystified as to your identity. Mullion Parish Council, generally speaking, I believe do a very good job, it should be remembered all Parish and Town Councillors are volunteers and as such I personally believe that if one wishes to raise an issue with any Parish or Town Councillor or indeed Cornwall Councillor, on line (public website) or personally (e-mail), then they should afford them the courtesy of so doing, using their real name. Gillian Zella Martin 09

11:44am Sun 29 Dec 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

iandharvey wrote:
Gillian Zella Martin 09 wrote:
I am probably at fault for not being explicit initially, perhaps what I should have said was, Mullion Parish Council could raise some extra revenue by charging for the currently two free car-parks in Lender Lane. I believe this revenue would likely exceed the income gained from current donations and the money could then be used not only for the upkeep of the car-parks which I believe would be minimal due to their current good state of repair, but additionally to offset any extra costs incurred by the Parish Council in the running of the public toilets, this could then possibly relieve the council tax payers the burden of, or at least partly, public toilet costs, which is sited as one reason for the raise in precept, and instead transfer the cost onto the users of the car-parks.
It appears to me, unfair to pay as a council tax payer for public toilets to be provided in Mullion for visitors use all year round, when I myself as a visitor to other villages such as Porthleven will not be afforded that advantage, as their toilets as are many others, seasonal. In addition to which parking has to be paid for in many other towns and villages. There are free parking bays throughout the village adjacent to the businesses and the post office has its own car-park, as does Mullion Meadows complex.
It was actually only a random spur of the moment thought.
Thank you for the clarification. I think we both understand the point you were making and my clarification. Any extra revenue would be offset by the cost of managing the car park. You may not agree, but our view is that employing a company or an individual to monitor the car park would soon swallow up any additional revenue.
The downfall to online communication is that comments can often be misinterpreted/misco
nstrued, however, I agree we now both understand each other's points.

I do agree with you that if officially charging for the car-parks would not realise an eventual increase in available funds to divert for other uses such as toilets expenditure, from the generated income, there would then be little to gain from so doing.
I suppose it would depend on actual current monthly income, if as you state, several hundred every month is currently raised, then I would see little point introducing an official charge.
[quote][p][bold]iandharvey[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gillian Zella Martin 09[/bold] wrote: I am probably at fault for not being explicit initially, perhaps what I should have said was, Mullion Parish Council could raise some extra revenue by charging for the currently two free car-parks in Lender Lane. I believe this revenue would likely exceed the income gained from current donations and the money could then be used not only for the upkeep of the car-parks which I believe would be minimal due to their current good state of repair, but additionally to offset any extra costs incurred by the Parish Council in the running of the public toilets, this could then possibly relieve the council tax payers the burden of, or at least partly, public toilet costs, which is sited as one reason for the raise in precept, and instead transfer the cost onto the users of the car-parks. It appears to me, unfair to pay as a council tax payer for public toilets to be provided in Mullion for visitors use all year round, when I myself as a visitor to other villages such as Porthleven will not be afforded that advantage, as their toilets as are many others, seasonal. In addition to which parking has to be paid for in many other towns and villages. There are free parking bays throughout the village adjacent to the businesses and the post office has its own car-park, as does Mullion Meadows complex. It was actually only a random spur of the moment thought.[/p][/quote]Thank you for the clarification. I think we both understand the point you were making and my clarification. Any extra revenue would be offset by the cost of managing the car park. You may not agree, but our view is that employing a company or an individual to monitor the car park would soon swallow up any additional revenue.[/p][/quote]The downfall to online communication is that comments can often be misinterpreted/misco nstrued, however, I agree we now both understand each other's points. I do agree with you that if officially charging for the car-parks would not realise an eventual increase in available funds to divert for other uses such as toilets expenditure, from the generated income, there would then be little to gain from so doing. I suppose it would depend on actual current monthly income, if as you state, several hundred every month is currently raised, then I would see little point introducing an official charge. Gillian Zella Martin 09

1:07pm Mon 30 Dec 13

titanium says...

Our daughter has Crohn's desease. As you may know, it's important for sufferers to have access to a toilet wherever they go. It's of no use to get to a locked toilet with a sign saying " next toilet is in next town five miles away".

In this day and age, it's not asking too much to expect there is a toilet available in every town, no matter what time of the year it is.
Our daughter has Crohn's desease. As you may know, it's important for sufferers to have access to a toilet wherever they go. It's of no use to get to a locked toilet with a sign saying " next toilet is in next town five miles away". In this day and age, it's not asking too much to expect there is a toilet available in every town, no matter what time of the year it is. titanium

1:20pm Mon 30 Dec 13

Rainbow over Helston says...

You are right Gill i should post under my own name to dispute what a Cllr says but the other side of the coin i think, is should a Cllr put information on here which differs from yours and you are right because i checked and they are donation boxes not honesty boxes which makes it a completely different ball game plus there is no proof to the claim hundreds are made every month i think i dont think it is right to pull a figure out of a hat as a Cllr to sway an argument in your favour, that is how i see it.
You are right Gill i should post under my own name to dispute what a Cllr says but the other side of the coin i think, is should a Cllr put information on here which differs from yours and you are right because i checked and they are donation boxes not honesty boxes which makes it a completely different ball game plus there is no proof to the claim hundreds are made every month i think i dont think it is right to pull a figure out of a hat as a Cllr to sway an argument in your favour, that is how i see it. Rainbow over Helston

1:41pm Mon 30 Dec 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

titanium wrote:
Our daughter has Crohn's desease. As you may know, it's important for sufferers to have access to a toilet wherever they go. It's of no use to get to a locked toilet with a sign saying " next toilet is in next town five miles away".

In this day and age, it's not asking too much to expect there is a toilet available in every town, no matter what time of the year it is.
I completely agree, the toilet at Mullion harbour which is now closed is still a one mile walk from the toilet that is open in the village, not a lot of help if one was desperate. I realise it is a financial problem but then in my view it is no good trying to extend the tourist season, I cannot see tourists bothering to come to Mullion unless they were going to the harbour as well. To have a town or village though that does not even have one toilet open during winter now, such as Porthleven I think is a shame.
[quote][p][bold]titanium[/bold] wrote: Our daughter has Crohn's desease. As you may know, it's important for sufferers to have access to a toilet wherever they go. It's of no use to get to a locked toilet with a sign saying " next toilet is in next town five miles away". In this day and age, it's not asking too much to expect there is a toilet available in every town, no matter what time of the year it is.[/p][/quote]I completely agree, the toilet at Mullion harbour which is now closed is still a one mile walk from the toilet that is open in the village, not a lot of help if one was desperate. I realise it is a financial problem but then in my view it is no good trying to extend the tourist season, I cannot see tourists bothering to come to Mullion unless they were going to the harbour as well. To have a town or village though that does not even have one toilet open during winter now, such as Porthleven I think is a shame. Gillian Zella Martin 09

2:15pm Mon 30 Dec 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Rainbow over Helston wrote:
You are right Gill i should post under my own name to dispute what a Cllr says but the other side of the coin i think, is should a Cllr put information on here which differs from yours and you are right because i checked and they are donation boxes not honesty boxes which makes it a completely different ball game plus there is no proof to the claim hundreds are made every month i think i dont think it is right to pull a figure out of a hat as a Cllr to sway an argument in your favour, that is how i see it.
My view is that any Councillor can put whatever they like on here, (obviously bearing in mind the site rules) No one however, has to agree, that is the prerogative of either party.

(Could you maybe please consider inserting a little more punctuation in your posts in the future, I initially read your post as saying, "I think I don't think" consequently I nearly replied, "well it may perhaps help if you were to think")

I have asked for clarification as to the approximate income from the car-park 'donation' boxes and await an official reply.
[quote][p][bold]Rainbow over Helston[/bold] wrote: You are right Gill i should post under my own name to dispute what a Cllr says but the other side of the coin i think, is should a Cllr put information on here which differs from yours and you are right because i checked and they are donation boxes not honesty boxes which makes it a completely different ball game plus there is no proof to the claim hundreds are made every month i think i dont think it is right to pull a figure out of a hat as a Cllr to sway an argument in your favour, that is how i see it.[/p][/quote]My view is that any Councillor can put whatever they like on here, (obviously bearing in mind the site rules) No one however, has to agree, that is the prerogative of either party. (Could you maybe please consider inserting a little more punctuation in your posts in the future, I initially read your post as saying, "I think I don't think" consequently I nearly replied, "well it may perhaps help if you were to think") I have asked for clarification as to the approximate income from the car-park 'donation' boxes and await an official reply. Gillian Zella Martin 09

2:19pm Mon 30 Dec 13

Rainbow over Helston says...

Lol, can you post the amount on here when you get official notification, out of interest sake please?
Lol, can you post the amount on here when you get official notification, out of interest sake please? Rainbow over Helston

3:36pm Mon 30 Dec 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

No I am sorry, I personally would not advertise how much a car-park donation box makes on a public website, I think it gives out too much information, location and amounts!, anyone could read this website, donation boxes have in the past been subject to break in/ theft. I personally believe it irresponsible to advertise it.
No I am sorry, I personally would not advertise how much a car-park donation box makes on a public website, I think it gives out too much information, location and amounts!, anyone could read this website, donation boxes have in the past been subject to break in/ theft. I personally believe it irresponsible to advertise it. Gillian Zella Martin 09

4:10pm Mon 30 Dec 13

Rainbow over Helston says...

Good point Gill, good thing someone puts responsiblity before trying to prove a point.
Good point Gill, good thing someone puts responsiblity before trying to prove a point. Rainbow over Helston

7:34am Tue 31 Dec 13

Rainbow over Helston says...

Gill why dont you take up the seasonal toilet issue in Porthleven or else move to Porthleven,? Why do you choose to live in Mullion? I actually would have thought you would have been living in Falmouth or at least Helston.
Gill why dont you take up the seasonal toilet issue in Porthleven or else move to Porthleven,? Why do you choose to live in Mullion? I actually would have thought you would have been living in Falmouth or at least Helston. Rainbow over Helston

10:31am Tue 31 Dec 13

Rainbow over Helston says...

Will you not be answering my questions today then Gill?
Will you not be answering my questions today then Gill? Rainbow over Helston

11:23am Tue 31 Dec 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Someone has attempted to break into one of the 'donation' boxes, I find that a mighty coincidence since it was advertised on this website by Councillor Ian Harvey, that Mullion car-park boxes generate hundreds of pounds a month. That is precisely the reason I think it is irresponsible to place such information on a public website.
Someone has attempted to break into one of the 'donation' boxes, I find that a mighty coincidence since it was advertised on this website by Councillor Ian Harvey, that Mullion car-park boxes generate hundreds of pounds a month. That is precisely the reason I think it is irresponsible to place such information on a public website. Gillian Zella Martin 09

11:27am Tue 31 Dec 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Rainbow over Helston wrote:
Gill why dont you take up the seasonal toilet issue in Porthleven or else move to Porthleven,? Why do you choose to live in Mullion? I actually would have thought you would have been living in Falmouth or at least Helston.
I do not choose to live in Mullion, I cannot afford to live in Porthleven and I tried moving to Helston but my buyer dropped out and I lost the place I was going for so I ended up moving around Mullion.
[quote][p][bold]Rainbow over Helston[/bold] wrote: Gill why dont you take up the seasonal toilet issue in Porthleven or else move to Porthleven,? Why do you choose to live in Mullion? I actually would have thought you would have been living in Falmouth or at least Helston.[/p][/quote]I do not choose to live in Mullion, I cannot afford to live in Porthleven and I tried moving to Helston but my buyer dropped out and I lost the place I was going for so I ended up moving around Mullion. Gillian Zella Martin 09

11:28am Tue 31 Dec 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Rainbow over Helston wrote:
Will you not be answering my questions today then Gill?
I was busy giving blood in Helston.
[quote][p][bold]Rainbow over Helston[/bold] wrote: Will you not be answering my questions today then Gill?[/p][/quote]I was busy giving blood in Helston. Gillian Zella Martin 09

11:56am Tue 31 Dec 13

Rainbow over Helston says...

Thats bad someone breaking into the box or boxes, hope there wasnt much in them. Hope they catch the culprit.
Thats bad someone breaking into the box or boxes, hope there wasnt much in them. Hope they catch the culprit. Rainbow over Helston

2:03pm Tue 31 Dec 13

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

I hope they find whoever was responsible, I somehow doubt it though, many crimes such as this go undetected unfortunately there is usually very little to go on. (Be even less to go on, if the toilets are closed)
It could have occurred in the dark, having said that, on the two occasions I challenged unauthorised persons taking money out of the honesty box in Shrubberies Hill Porthleven it was during the day.

Yes, it is an honesty box in Porthleven as the car-park board specifies £1.00 a day charge, therefore one would be dishonest not to deposit a pound in it, whereas Mullion car-park boards say free parking donations welcome, therefore one would not be dishonest not to deposit anything in the 'donation' box, that is why they cannot be honesty boxes.
There is however an honesty box at Mullion Cove privately owned car-park as it specifies a £1.00 charge.
I hope they find whoever was responsible, I somehow doubt it though, many crimes such as this go undetected unfortunately there is usually very little to go on. (Be even less to go on, if the toilets are closed) It could have occurred in the dark, having said that, on the two occasions I challenged unauthorised persons taking money out of the honesty box in Shrubberies Hill Porthleven it was during the day. Yes, it is an honesty box in Porthleven as the car-park board specifies £1.00 a day charge, therefore one would be dishonest not to deposit a pound in it, whereas Mullion car-park boards say free parking donations welcome, therefore one would not be dishonest not to deposit anything in the 'donation' box, that is why they cannot be honesty boxes. There is however an honesty box at Mullion Cove privately owned car-park as it specifies a £1.00 charge. Gillian Zella Martin 09

2:28pm Tue 31 Dec 13

Rainbow over Helston says...

Lol, well i suppose there should be a difference otherwise you could say the rise in council tax is not an obligation but only voluntary, there should i think be specified differences to things lol
Lol, well i suppose there should be a difference otherwise you could say the rise in council tax is not an obligation but only voluntary, there should i think be specified differences to things lol Rainbow over Helston

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree