Sand stripped from Poldhu during storm: PICTURES

Sand stripped from Poldhu during storm: PICTURES

Sand stripped from Poldhu during storm: PICTURES

First published in News

With Praa Sands looking more like Praa pebbles after recent wild weather, the beach at Poldhu has also seen sand stripped away by the action of the sea.

While the change in the coastline is extreme, the movement of sand is a natural process and experts expect it to return.

This is a picture of the beach before the huge storms. (Pictures: Gill Martin)

Falmouth Packet:

Comments (31)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:51pm Fri 17 Jan 14

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

"Experts expect it to return"

The question is when? Over approximately the last 30 years, I and many others have seen the density of sand on Poldhu beach diminish, sand level which has never been completely replaced!
"Experts expect it to return" The question is when? Over approximately the last 30 years, I and many others have seen the density of sand on Poldhu beach diminish, sand level which has never been completely replaced! Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 9

3:14pm Fri 17 Jan 14

meerkats says...

Nice pictures Gill , but as you say when will it return ? It will probably take a long time
Nice pictures Gill , but as you say when will it return ? It will probably take a long time meerkats
  • Score: 7

3:20pm Fri 17 Jan 14

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Thanks meerkats, I do not know what the 'professional' opinion is for estimated replacement time, but I do however know that I don't 'do' patience :)
Thanks meerkats, I do not know what the 'professional' opinion is for estimated replacement time, but I do however know that I don't 'do' patience :) Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 4

3:36pm Fri 17 Jan 14

Geo Helston says...

Gillian Zella Martin 09 wrote:
Thanks meerkats, I do not know what the 'professional' opinion is for estimated replacement time, but I do however know that I don't 'do' patience :)
Something tells me you are going to have to be patient.. haha
[quote][p][bold]Gillian Zella Martin 09[/bold] wrote: Thanks meerkats, I do not know what the 'professional' opinion is for estimated replacement time, but I do however know that I don't 'do' patience :)[/p][/quote]Something tells me you are going to have to be patient.. haha Geo Helston
  • Score: 4

4:21pm Fri 17 Jan 14

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Geo Helston wrote:
Gillian Zella Martin 09 wrote:
Thanks meerkats, I do not know what the 'professional' opinion is for estimated replacement time, but I do however know that I don't 'do' patience :)
Something tells me you are going to have to be patient.. haha
Lol, no I won't, I will be off to Porthleven to walk or sit on the beach, and leave others to sit on top of the huge uncomfortable rocks on Poldhu!
The stream running down onto the beach at Poldhu has also widened, so there will be limited dry space on which to sit, at high or low tide.
[quote][p][bold]Geo Helston[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gillian Zella Martin 09[/bold] wrote: Thanks meerkats, I do not know what the 'professional' opinion is for estimated replacement time, but I do however know that I don't 'do' patience :)[/p][/quote]Something tells me you are going to have to be patient.. haha[/p][/quote]Lol, no I won't, I will be off to Porthleven to walk or sit on the beach, and leave others to sit on top of the huge uncomfortable rocks on Poldhu! The stream running down onto the beach at Poldhu has also widened, so there will be limited dry space on which to sit, at high or low tide. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 4

4:38pm Fri 17 Jan 14

meerkats says...

Dont suppose Poldhu Beach has stood much of a chance really with the recent storms and the sand being taken by farmers over the years . it certainly doesnt look so inviting in Gill's 1st picture.
Dont suppose Poldhu Beach has stood much of a chance really with the recent storms and the sand being taken by farmers over the years . it certainly doesnt look so inviting in Gill's 1st picture. meerkats
  • Score: 6

6:36am Sat 18 Jan 14

Geo Helston says...

meerkats wrote:
Dont suppose Poldhu Beach has stood much of a chance really with the recent storms and the sand being taken by farmers over the years . it certainly doesnt look so inviting in Gill's 1st picture.
To be honest, I would have expected the same result even if the farmers never took the sand. However, I don't think it will take that long, the sand will be offshore, so it should not take to long to come back in. Perhaps 6-12 months? I just remember how quickly Coverack changes from sand to rock then back to sand again. But then again, Coverack is also a sheltered bay, so different processes maybe at work.
[quote][p][bold]meerkats[/bold] wrote: Dont suppose Poldhu Beach has stood much of a chance really with the recent storms and the sand being taken by farmers over the years . it certainly doesnt look so inviting in Gill's 1st picture.[/p][/quote]To be honest, I would have expected the same result even if the farmers never took the sand. However, I don't think it will take that long, the sand will be offshore, so it should not take to long to come back in. Perhaps 6-12 months? I just remember how quickly Coverack changes from sand to rock then back to sand again. But then again, Coverack is also a sheltered bay, so different processes maybe at work. Geo Helston
  • Score: 4

9:04am Sat 18 Jan 14

DCI Jen says...

Geo sounds like telstar to me, meerkats is right, the farmers took sand off Poldhu for years by the tractor load and it has never been replaced, when I was little it was much thicker all over than in later years. Dollar Cove at Gunwalloe looks similar to that and that never gets completely covered with sand. Poldhu hasn't even completely recovered from the last storms so I can't see it having its sand replaced in six or twelve months. The boulders at the top of the beach and so big they would take about 4ft of sand to cover them up now.
Geo sounds like telstar to me, meerkats is right, the farmers took sand off Poldhu for years by the tractor load and it has never been replaced, when I was little it was much thicker all over than in later years. Dollar Cove at Gunwalloe looks similar to that and that never gets completely covered with sand. Poldhu hasn't even completely recovered from the last storms so I can't see it having its sand replaced in six or twelve months. The boulders at the top of the beach and so big they would take about 4ft of sand to cover them up now. DCI Jen
  • Score: 3

12:02pm Sat 18 Jan 14

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Mullion island came up from under the sea, I am still waiting for that to disappear!

In the 1980s/1990s I can't remember the exact year, a petrified forrest was exposed on Poldhu beach during an exceptionally low tide. I still have some small pieces from it. I wonder if it will ever be visible again!
Mullion island came up from under the sea, I am still waiting for that to disappear! In the 1980s/1990s I can't remember the exact year, a petrified forrest was exposed on Poldhu beach during an exceptionally low tide. I still have some small pieces from it. I wonder if it will ever be visible again! Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 8

12:05pm Sat 18 Jan 14

Geo Helston says...

DCI Jen wrote:
Geo sounds like telstar to me, meerkats is right, the farmers took sand off Poldhu for years by the tractor load and it has never been replaced, when I was little it was much thicker all over than in later years. Dollar Cove at Gunwalloe looks similar to that and that never gets completely covered with sand. Poldhu hasn't even completely recovered from the last storms so I can't see it having its sand replaced in six or twelve months. The boulders at the top of the beach and so big they would take about 4ft of sand to cover them up now.
Is Telstar a geologist as well?
[quote][p][bold]DCI Jen[/bold] wrote: Geo sounds like telstar to me, meerkats is right, the farmers took sand off Poldhu for years by the tractor load and it has never been replaced, when I was little it was much thicker all over than in later years. Dollar Cove at Gunwalloe looks similar to that and that never gets completely covered with sand. Poldhu hasn't even completely recovered from the last storms so I can't see it having its sand replaced in six or twelve months. The boulders at the top of the beach and so big they would take about 4ft of sand to cover them up now.[/p][/quote]Is Telstar a geologist as well? Geo Helston
  • Score: 0

12:22pm Sat 18 Jan 14

Geo Helston says...

DCI Jen wrote:
Geo sounds like telstar to me, meerkats is right, the farmers took sand off Poldhu for years by the tractor load and it has never been replaced, when I was little it was much thicker all over than in later years. Dollar Cove at Gunwalloe looks similar to that and that never gets completely covered with sand. Poldhu hasn't even completely recovered from the last storms so I can't see it having its sand replaced in six or twelve months. The boulders at the top of the beach and so big they would take about 4ft of sand to cover them up now.
Were the boulders there before, or deposited there by the storm?
[quote][p][bold]DCI Jen[/bold] wrote: Geo sounds like telstar to me, meerkats is right, the farmers took sand off Poldhu for years by the tractor load and it has never been replaced, when I was little it was much thicker all over than in later years. Dollar Cove at Gunwalloe looks similar to that and that never gets completely covered with sand. Poldhu hasn't even completely recovered from the last storms so I can't see it having its sand replaced in six or twelve months. The boulders at the top of the beach and so big they would take about 4ft of sand to cover them up now.[/p][/quote]Were the boulders there before, or deposited there by the storm? Geo Helston
  • Score: 4

12:31pm Sat 18 Jan 14

DCI Jen says...

Geo Helston wrote:
DCI Jen wrote:
Geo sounds like telstar to me, meerkats is right, the farmers took sand off Poldhu for years by the tractor load and it has never been replaced, when I was little it was much thicker all over than in later years. Dollar Cove at Gunwalloe looks similar to that and that never gets completely covered with sand. Poldhu hasn't even completely recovered from the last storms so I can't see it having its sand replaced in six or twelve months. The boulders at the top of the beach and so big they would take about 4ft of sand to cover them up now.
Is Telstar a geologist as well?
I don't know without checking the archives and I don't have time at the mo, some people thought he was a taxi driver/mini cab driver but he said he wasn't he said he was something else, might have been geologist I can't remember! He mentioned Coverack on a fair few occasions.
I like Coverack but there is no beach when the tide is fully in. It has lots of nice little tiny yellow shells.
[quote][p][bold]Geo Helston[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DCI Jen[/bold] wrote: Geo sounds like telstar to me, meerkats is right, the farmers took sand off Poldhu for years by the tractor load and it has never been replaced, when I was little it was much thicker all over than in later years. Dollar Cove at Gunwalloe looks similar to that and that never gets completely covered with sand. Poldhu hasn't even completely recovered from the last storms so I can't see it having its sand replaced in six or twelve months. The boulders at the top of the beach and so big they would take about 4ft of sand to cover them up now.[/p][/quote]Is Telstar a geologist as well?[/p][/quote]I don't know without checking the archives and I don't have time at the mo, some people thought he was a taxi driver/mini cab driver but he said he wasn't he said he was something else, might have been geologist I can't remember! He mentioned Coverack on a fair few occasions. I like Coverack but there is no beach when the tide is fully in. It has lots of nice little tiny yellow shells. DCI Jen
  • Score: 8

12:43pm Sat 18 Jan 14

Geo Helston says...

So, I have just been having a look at a few things. I never knew that Bulldozers were used to remove sand from Poldhu?? It seems in the past that a lot of sand has been taken away. I just envisaged a few tractor loads, but it seems it’s a lot more. It must have been a serious depletion to have been mentioned in a costal Geomorphology book. I didn't also know that the law allowing farmers to do it is from 1609, and apparently they are allowed to take from below the high tide line only. Check out 'Costal Geomorphology: an introduction' by Eric Bird, page 208.
So, I have just been having a look at a few things. I never knew that Bulldozers were used to remove sand from Poldhu?? It seems in the past that a lot of sand has been taken away. I just envisaged a few tractor loads, but it seems it’s a lot more. It must have been a serious depletion to have been mentioned in a costal Geomorphology book. I didn't also know that the law allowing farmers to do it is from 1609, and apparently they are allowed to take from below the high tide line only. Check out 'Costal Geomorphology: an introduction' by Eric Bird, page 208. Geo Helston
  • Score: 9

12:48pm Sat 18 Jan 14

DCI Jen says...

Geo Helston wrote:
DCI Jen wrote:
Geo sounds like telstar to me, meerkats is right, the farmers took sand off Poldhu for years by the tractor load and it has never been replaced, when I was little it was much thicker all over than in later years. Dollar Cove at Gunwalloe looks similar to that and that never gets completely covered with sand. Poldhu hasn't even completely recovered from the last storms so I can't see it having its sand replaced in six or twelve months. The boulders at the top of the beach and so big they would take about 4ft of sand to cover them up now.
Were the boulders there before, or deposited there by the storm?
There were a few but nothing like what is there now up by the sand dunes, there used to be lots by the river side of the beach but not that many by the cafe side of the beach.

I have to leave the county again now to go back to work, hope when I return the sand has returned lol
[quote][p][bold]Geo Helston[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]DCI Jen[/bold] wrote: Geo sounds like telstar to me, meerkats is right, the farmers took sand off Poldhu for years by the tractor load and it has never been replaced, when I was little it was much thicker all over than in later years. Dollar Cove at Gunwalloe looks similar to that and that never gets completely covered with sand. Poldhu hasn't even completely recovered from the last storms so I can't see it having its sand replaced in six or twelve months. The boulders at the top of the beach and so big they would take about 4ft of sand to cover them up now.[/p][/quote]Were the boulders there before, or deposited there by the storm?[/p][/quote]There were a few but nothing like what is there now up by the sand dunes, there used to be lots by the river side of the beach but not that many by the cafe side of the beach. I have to leave the county again now to go back to work, hope when I return the sand has returned lol DCI Jen
  • Score: 10

12:55pm Sat 18 Jan 14

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Geo Helston wrote:
So, I have just been having a look at a few things. I never knew that Bulldozers were used to remove sand from Poldhu?? It seems in the past that a lot of sand has been taken away. I just envisaged a few tractor loads, but it seems it’s a lot more. It must have been a serious depletion to have been mentioned in a costal Geomorphology book. I didn't also know that the law allowing farmers to do it is from 1609, and apparently they are allowed to take from below the high tide line only. Check out 'Costal Geomorphology: an introduction' by Eric Bird, page 208.
Some people have been removing sand for years presumably under the ancient right to do so, in my view it was the wrong thing to do, years ago it would have been horse and cart and relatively small amounts. It seems to have stopped in recent times, maybe because some farms have diversified and are now doing things like holiday accommodation. I have been standing on the beach in the past watching a tractor remove sand.
[quote][p][bold]Geo Helston[/bold] wrote: So, I have just been having a look at a few things. I never knew that Bulldozers were used to remove sand from Poldhu?? It seems in the past that a lot of sand has been taken away. I just envisaged a few tractor loads, but it seems it’s a lot more. It must have been a serious depletion to have been mentioned in a costal Geomorphology book. I didn't also know that the law allowing farmers to do it is from 1609, and apparently they are allowed to take from below the high tide line only. Check out 'Costal Geomorphology: an introduction' by Eric Bird, page 208.[/p][/quote]Some people have been removing sand for years presumably under the ancient right to do so, in my view it was the wrong thing to do, years ago it would have been horse and cart and relatively small amounts. It seems to have stopped in recent times, maybe because some farms have diversified and are now doing things like holiday accommodation. I have been standing on the beach in the past watching a tractor remove sand. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 10

1:22pm Sat 18 Jan 14

Geo Helston says...

Gillian Zella Martin 09 wrote:
Geo Helston wrote:
So, I have just been having a look at a few things. I never knew that Bulldozers were used to remove sand from Poldhu?? It seems in the past that a lot of sand has been taken away. I just envisaged a few tractor loads, but it seems it’s a lot more. It must have been a serious depletion to have been mentioned in a costal Geomorphology book. I didn't also know that the law allowing farmers to do it is from 1609, and apparently they are allowed to take from below the high tide line only. Check out 'Costal Geomorphology: an introduction' by Eric Bird, page 208.
Some people have been removing sand for years presumably under the ancient right to do so, in my view it was the wrong thing to do, years ago it would have been horse and cart and relatively small amounts. It seems to have stopped in recent times, maybe because some farms have diversified and are now doing things like holiday accommodation. I have been standing on the beach in the past watching a tractor remove sand.
Your not wrong. Under a 1609 Act that is still in force, it is lawful for 'all persons dwelling in Devon or Cornwall to fetch and take sea-sand at all places "under the full sea-mark" for the bettering of their land and the increase of corn and tillage'.

Also, did you know that a sustainability project was undertaken in 1995 in because of the sand extraction. I assume the management study didn't show anything if they were still doing it past 1995..
[quote][p][bold]Gillian Zella Martin 09[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Geo Helston[/bold] wrote: So, I have just been having a look at a few things. I never knew that Bulldozers were used to remove sand from Poldhu?? It seems in the past that a lot of sand has been taken away. I just envisaged a few tractor loads, but it seems it’s a lot more. It must have been a serious depletion to have been mentioned in a costal Geomorphology book. I didn't also know that the law allowing farmers to do it is from 1609, and apparently they are allowed to take from below the high tide line only. Check out 'Costal Geomorphology: an introduction' by Eric Bird, page 208.[/p][/quote]Some people have been removing sand for years presumably under the ancient right to do so, in my view it was the wrong thing to do, years ago it would have been horse and cart and relatively small amounts. It seems to have stopped in recent times, maybe because some farms have diversified and are now doing things like holiday accommodation. I have been standing on the beach in the past watching a tractor remove sand.[/p][/quote]Your not wrong. Under a 1609 Act that is still in force, it is lawful for 'all persons dwelling in Devon or Cornwall to fetch and take sea-sand at all places "under the full sea-mark" for the bettering of their land and the increase of corn and tillage'. Also, did you know that a sustainability project was undertaken in 1995 in because of the sand extraction. I assume the management study didn't show anything if they were still doing it past 1995.. Geo Helston
  • Score: 6

1:48pm Sat 18 Jan 14

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Geo Helston wrote:
Gillian Zella Martin 09 wrote:
Geo Helston wrote:
So, I have just been having a look at a few things. I never knew that Bulldozers were used to remove sand from Poldhu?? It seems in the past that a lot of sand has been taken away. I just envisaged a few tractor loads, but it seems it’s a lot more. It must have been a serious depletion to have been mentioned in a costal Geomorphology book. I didn't also know that the law allowing farmers to do it is from 1609, and apparently they are allowed to take from below the high tide line only. Check out 'Costal Geomorphology: an introduction' by Eric Bird, page 208.
Some people have been removing sand for years presumably under the ancient right to do so, in my view it was the wrong thing to do, years ago it would have been horse and cart and relatively small amounts. It seems to have stopped in recent times, maybe because some farms have diversified and are now doing things like holiday accommodation. I have been standing on the beach in the past watching a tractor remove sand.
Your not wrong. Under a 1609 Act that is still in force, it is lawful for 'all persons dwelling in Devon or Cornwall to fetch and take sea-sand at all places "under the full sea-mark" for the bettering of their land and the increase of corn and tillage'.

Also, did you know that a sustainability project was undertaken in 1995 in because of the sand extraction. I assume the management study didn't show anything if they were still doing it past 1995..
I was aware persons were supposed to be monitoring the extraction of sand but obviously to no avail in protecting what most people would have like to have seen protected.

I have also witnessed in the past, extraction of sand taken in a large trailer which I happen to follow, and it took the sand to somewhere where they certainly do not grow crops of any kind!! I would have thought sand extraction from the beach was not covered in the ancient right for this purpose!
[quote][p][bold]Geo Helston[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gillian Zella Martin 09[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Geo Helston[/bold] wrote: So, I have just been having a look at a few things. I never knew that Bulldozers were used to remove sand from Poldhu?? It seems in the past that a lot of sand has been taken away. I just envisaged a few tractor loads, but it seems it’s a lot more. It must have been a serious depletion to have been mentioned in a costal Geomorphology book. I didn't also know that the law allowing farmers to do it is from 1609, and apparently they are allowed to take from below the high tide line only. Check out 'Costal Geomorphology: an introduction' by Eric Bird, page 208.[/p][/quote]Some people have been removing sand for years presumably under the ancient right to do so, in my view it was the wrong thing to do, years ago it would have been horse and cart and relatively small amounts. It seems to have stopped in recent times, maybe because some farms have diversified and are now doing things like holiday accommodation. I have been standing on the beach in the past watching a tractor remove sand.[/p][/quote]Your not wrong. Under a 1609 Act that is still in force, it is lawful for 'all persons dwelling in Devon or Cornwall to fetch and take sea-sand at all places "under the full sea-mark" for the bettering of their land and the increase of corn and tillage'. Also, did you know that a sustainability project was undertaken in 1995 in because of the sand extraction. I assume the management study didn't show anything if they were still doing it past 1995..[/p][/quote]I was aware persons were supposed to be monitoring the extraction of sand but obviously to no avail in protecting what most people would have like to have seen protected. I have also witnessed in the past, extraction of sand taken in a large trailer which I happen to follow, and it took the sand to somewhere where they certainly do not grow crops of any kind!! I would have thought sand extraction from the beach was not covered in the ancient right for this purpose! Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 7

2:34pm Sat 18 Jan 14

Rainbow over Helston says...

Ive never been to Poldhu, ive only been in Helston a couple of years and im going home in April, do you live near it Gill? I make take a look at it before i go back to Scotland.
Ive never been to Poldhu, ive only been in Helston a couple of years and im going home in April, do you live near it Gill? I make take a look at it before i go back to Scotland. Rainbow over Helston
  • Score: 7

4:48pm Sat 18 Jan 14

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

Rainbow over Helston wrote:
Ive never been to Poldhu, ive only been in Helston a couple of years and im going home in April, do you live near it Gill? I make take a look at it before i go back to Scotland.
I live about a mile from Poldhu.
[quote][p][bold]Rainbow over Helston[/bold] wrote: Ive never been to Poldhu, ive only been in Helston a couple of years and im going home in April, do you live near it Gill? I make take a look at it before i go back to Scotland.[/p][/quote]I live about a mile from Poldhu. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 7

4:06pm Wed 22 Jan 14

KernBear says...

One day it will be back.. one day!
One day it will be back.. one day! KernBear
  • Score: 5

5:37pm Wed 22 Jan 14

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

KernBear wrote:
One day it will be back.. one day!
Hopefully, in the meantime however it does not really help this years tourists that will pay over the top for the car-park and no longer get the beach they probably expected!
[quote][p][bold]KernBear[/bold] wrote: One day it will be back.. one day![/p][/quote]Hopefully, in the meantime however it does not really help this years tourists that will pay over the top for the car-park and no longer get the beach they probably expected! Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 7

6:35pm Wed 22 Jan 14

meerkats says...

Gillian Zella Martin 09 wrote:
KernBear wrote:
One day it will be back.. one day!
Hopefully, in the meantime however it does not really help this years tourists that will pay over the top for the car-park and no longer get the beach they probably expected!
That is a good point Gill,hope it wont affect the Beach cafe too much either as i am sure most tourists would want to find another beach that is sandy ,and will be a bad situ for Praa Sands too probably.
[quote][p][bold]Gillian Zella Martin 09[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]KernBear[/bold] wrote: One day it will be back.. one day![/p][/quote]Hopefully, in the meantime however it does not really help this years tourists that will pay over the top for the car-park and no longer get the beach they probably expected![/p][/quote]That is a good point Gill,hope it wont affect the Beach cafe too much either as i am sure most tourists would want to find another beach that is sandy ,and will be a bad situ for Praa Sands too probably. meerkats
  • Score: 8

6:54pm Wed 22 Jan 14

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

meerkats wrote:
Gillian Zella Martin 09 wrote:
KernBear wrote:
One day it will be back.. one day!
Hopefully, in the meantime however it does not really help this years tourists that will pay over the top for the car-park and no longer get the beach they probably expected!
That is a good point Gill,hope it wont affect the Beach cafe too much either as i am sure most tourists would want to find another beach that is sandy ,and will be a bad situ for Praa Sands too probably.
That is why I think Cornwall Council should reduce the car-park fees just for this summer so that we do not lose tourists on a long term basis. A lower car-park fee might soften the blow of any disappointment of return visitors. If we lose visitors long term then Cornwall Council would lose car-park revenue long term. I would not pay a high charge for a car-park for a pebbly beach!
[quote][p][bold]meerkats[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gillian Zella Martin 09[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]KernBear[/bold] wrote: One day it will be back.. one day![/p][/quote]Hopefully, in the meantime however it does not really help this years tourists that will pay over the top for the car-park and no longer get the beach they probably expected![/p][/quote]That is a good point Gill,hope it wont affect the Beach cafe too much either as i am sure most tourists would want to find another beach that is sandy ,and will be a bad situ for Praa Sands too probably.[/p][/quote]That is why I think Cornwall Council should reduce the car-park fees just for this summer so that we do not lose tourists on a long term basis. A lower car-park fee might soften the blow of any disappointment of return visitors. If we lose visitors long term then Cornwall Council would lose car-park revenue long term. I would not pay a high charge for a car-park for a pebbly beach! Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 7

6:38am Thu 23 Jan 14

KernBear says...

Your right, I wont help the tourist trade. But what can you do about it.. lower car park fees will only go so far. If the sands not there, then its not there. It will be interesting to see what the effect is long term.
Your right, I wont help the tourist trade. But what can you do about it.. lower car park fees will only go so far. If the sands not there, then its not there. It will be interesting to see what the effect is long term. KernBear
  • Score: 5

7:48am Thu 23 Jan 14

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

KernBear wrote:
Your right, I wont help the tourist trade. But what can you do about it.. lower car park fees will only go so far. If the sands not there, then its not there. It will be interesting to see what the effect is long term.
To lower car-park fees for this year would help, after all, according to the experts the sand will return. That way we are less likely to lose tourists whilst waiting for the return of sand.
[quote][p][bold]KernBear[/bold] wrote: Your right, I wont help the tourist trade. But what can you do about it.. lower car park fees will only go so far. If the sands not there, then its not there. It will be interesting to see what the effect is long term.[/p][/quote]To lower car-park fees for this year would help, after all, according to the experts the sand will return. That way we are less likely to lose tourists whilst waiting for the return of sand. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 9

10:45am Thu 23 Jan 14

petergg says...

price ofcarparking at poldhu never a problem with holidaymakers judgeing the car park nearly full all summer long

you tried parking at St Ives, need a payday loan to go there for a day

of course, Porthlevens beaches are better than Poldhu ??
get real
price ofcarparking at poldhu never a problem with holidaymakers judgeing the car park nearly full all summer long you tried parking at St Ives, need a payday loan to go there for a day of course, Porthlevens beaches are better than Poldhu ?? get real petergg
  • Score: -9

11:27am Thu 23 Jan 14

Gillian Zella Martin 09 says...

petergg wrote:
price ofcarparking at poldhu never a problem with holidaymakers judgeing the car park nearly full all summer long

you tried parking at St Ives, need a payday loan to go there for a day

of course, Porthlevens beaches are better than Poldhu ??
get real
I suggest you have missed my point, yes the car-park at Poldhu is normally well used by visitors, however, the point being, this year they may not be so happy to pay the price to park in order to use a beach in its current state, when there are sandy beach options elsewhere on the Lizard. I am well aware of car park charges in St Ives, however, those that choose Poldhu are normally staying in Helston and the Lizard areas.
As for Porthleven, the beach is currently in a much better state than Poldhu and in any case, a beach is a personal matter of choice.
[quote][p][bold]petergg[/bold] wrote: price ofcarparking at poldhu never a problem with holidaymakers judgeing the car park nearly full all summer long you tried parking at St Ives, need a payday loan to go there for a day of course, Porthlevens beaches are better than Poldhu ?? get real[/p][/quote]I suggest you have missed my point, yes the car-park at Poldhu is normally well used by visitors, however, the point being, this year they may not be so happy to pay the price to park in order to use a beach in its current state, when there are sandy beach options elsewhere on the Lizard. I am well aware of car park charges in St Ives, however, those that choose Poldhu are normally staying in Helston and the Lizard areas. As for Porthleven, the beach is currently in a much better state than Poldhu and in any case, a beach is a personal matter of choice. Gillian Zella Martin 09
  • Score: 10

11:56am Thu 23 Jan 14

meerkats says...

Gillian Zella Martin 09 wrote:
petergg wrote:
price ofcarparking at poldhu never a problem with holidaymakers judgeing the car park nearly full all summer long

you tried parking at St Ives, need a payday loan to go there for a day

of course, Porthlevens beaches are better than Poldhu ??
get real
I suggest you have missed my point, yes the car-park at Poldhu is normally well used by visitors, however, the point being, this year they may not be so happy to pay the price to park in order to use a beach in its current state, when there are sandy beach options elsewhere on the Lizard. I am well aware of car park charges in St Ives, however, those that choose Poldhu are normally staying in Helston and the Lizard areas.
As for Porthleven, the beach is currently in a much better state than Poldhu and in any case, a beach is a personal matter of choice.
I understand the point you were making Gill and think lowering the car park fee would be a good idea with the beach in its present condition, that way hopefully it may still encourage the many tourists and locals alike to still use the beach and not avoid it for a sandier one elsewhere.
[quote][p][bold]Gillian Zella Martin 09[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]petergg[/bold] wrote: price ofcarparking at poldhu never a problem with holidaymakers judgeing the car park nearly full all summer long you tried parking at St Ives, need a payday loan to go there for a day of course, Porthlevens beaches are better than Poldhu ?? get real[/p][/quote]I suggest you have missed my point, yes the car-park at Poldhu is normally well used by visitors, however, the point being, this year they may not be so happy to pay the price to park in order to use a beach in its current state, when there are sandy beach options elsewhere on the Lizard. I am well aware of car park charges in St Ives, however, those that choose Poldhu are normally staying in Helston and the Lizard areas. As for Porthleven, the beach is currently in a much better state than Poldhu and in any case, a beach is a personal matter of choice.[/p][/quote]I understand the point you were making Gill and think lowering the car park fee would be a good idea with the beach in its present condition, that way hopefully it may still encourage the many tourists and locals alike to still use the beach and not avoid it for a sandier one elsewhere. meerkats
  • Score: 11

12:01pm Thu 23 Jan 14

Rainbow over Helston says...

Petergg i see you are as rude as before, telling Gill to get real! St Ives isnt comparable to Poldhu, there is a whole town at St Ives with things to offer with the sandy beaches, what adjacent town is there to Poldhu, none.! Once you finish at Poldhu you would have to pay again to park at Helston.
Petergg i see you are as rude as before, telling Gill to get real! St Ives isnt comparable to Poldhu, there is a whole town at St Ives with things to offer with the sandy beaches, what adjacent town is there to Poldhu, none.! Once you finish at Poldhu you would have to pay again to park at Helston. Rainbow over Helston
  • Score: 10

2:58pm Thu 23 Jan 14

meerkats says...

Rainbow over Helston wrote:
Petergg i see you are as rude as before, telling Gill to get real! St Ives isnt comparable to Poldhu, there is a whole town at St Ives with things to offer with the sandy beaches, what adjacent town is there to Poldhu, none.! Once you finish at Poldhu you would have to pay again to park at Helston.
Well said .
[quote][p][bold]Rainbow over Helston[/bold] wrote: Petergg i see you are as rude as before, telling Gill to get real! St Ives isnt comparable to Poldhu, there is a whole town at St Ives with things to offer with the sandy beaches, what adjacent town is there to Poldhu, none.! Once you finish at Poldhu you would have to pay again to park at Helston.[/p][/quote]Well said . meerkats
  • Score: 6

5:26pm Sat 25 Jan 14

DCI Jen says...

petergg wrote:
price ofcarparking at poldhu never a problem with holidaymakers judgeing the car park nearly full all summer long

you tried parking at St Ives, need a payday loan to go there for a day

of course, Porthlevens beaches are better than Poldhu ??
get real
Many of the visitors (and locals) don't park in the car park all summer they park in inconvenient places all up the road when there are spaces in the car park to avoid the car park fee. As for Porthleven beach I think it has far more to offer than Poldhu, it stretches for miles has the harbour adjacent and there are plenty of dry places to sit even at high tide, Poldhu is covered in rocks and pebbles now and the stream has spread out all over the beach and at high tide there is no where decent to sit without sitting on top of boulders. So I don't think it is Gill that needs to get real. How often do you go to Poldhu or Porthleven I wonder.
[quote][p][bold]petergg[/bold] wrote: price ofcarparking at poldhu never a problem with holidaymakers judgeing the car park nearly full all summer long you tried parking at St Ives, need a payday loan to go there for a day of course, Porthlevens beaches are better than Poldhu ?? get real[/p][/quote]Many of the visitors (and locals) don't park in the car park all summer they park in inconvenient places all up the road when there are spaces in the car park to avoid the car park fee. As for Porthleven beach I think it has far more to offer than Poldhu, it stretches for miles has the harbour adjacent and there are plenty of dry places to sit even at high tide, Poldhu is covered in rocks and pebbles now and the stream has spread out all over the beach and at high tide there is no where decent to sit without sitting on top of boulders. So I don't think it is Gill that needs to get real. How often do you go to Poldhu or Porthleven I wonder. DCI Jen
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree