Puffin saved after washing up on Gyllyngvase Beach

Falmouth Packet: Puffin saved after washing up on Gyllyngvase Beach Puffin saved after washing up on Gyllyngvase Beach

A puffin believed to have washed from the Scilly Isles has been saved by a couple after washing up on Gyllyngvase Beach.

Mark Agnew, manager of the Gylly Beach Cafe, and his girlfriend Chalotte Lodey, were outside the restaurant at around 9.30pm on Tuesday night when they spotted the bird struggling in the surf.

Mark, who lives in the building, said: "I came down to check on the café and Charlotte came down to give me a hand and to look at the sea."

Charlotte continued: "I saw it out of the corner of my eye, it was dragging itself up the beach with its wings, it was so weak.

"It looked like a bird that was drowning, the tide was washing over it."

When she went to pick it up it appeared fairly lifeless, and didn't move or struggle much.

The pair put the bird, tentatively named Puffy, in a box to "de-stress", and in the morning it appeared slightly recovered and was fed fresh cuts of fish from the café kitchen.

Charlotte said: "He's definitely perked up a bit since the fish."

They had intended to release it, but after calling Mousehole Bird Hospital they were told to feed it some sugared fish and to try and release it tomorrow, as if it was not trying to escape then it was probably not ready.

Mark believes it's "more than likely" the puffin washed over from the Isles of Scilly, "Mousehole said that it's really rare to see a puffin this time of year."

Falmouth Packet:

Charlotte Lodey with the puffin she saved

Comments (6)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:35pm Wed 5 Feb 14

meerkats says...

What a Scilly puffin !! lol. on a serious note lucky that the cafe owners spotted it , and were able to look after it ,sounds like it should be ok after its ordeal.
What a Scilly puffin !! lol. on a serious note lucky that the cafe owners spotted it , and were able to look after it ,sounds like it should be ok after its ordeal. meerkats
  • Score: 1

9:03pm Wed 5 Feb 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

I love your comment meerkats, they are beautiful birds, glad it was lucky enough to be rescued. I wouldn't want to release it too soon, until the storms have completely gone.
I love your comment meerkats, they are beautiful birds, glad it was lucky enough to be rescued. I wouldn't want to release it too soon, until the storms have completely gone. Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: 3

10:20am Thu 6 Feb 14

meerkats says...

Helston fly on the wall wrote:
I love your comment meerkats, they are beautiful birds, glad it was lucky enough to be rescued. I wouldn't want to release it too soon, until the storms have completely gone.
Thankyou. With further storms predicted for the weekend perhaps it would be best not to release it yet. I agree they are beautiful birds.
[quote][p][bold]Helston fly on the wall[/bold] wrote: I love your comment meerkats, they are beautiful birds, glad it was lucky enough to be rescued. I wouldn't want to release it too soon, until the storms have completely gone.[/p][/quote]Thankyou. With further storms predicted for the weekend perhaps it would be best not to release it yet. I agree they are beautiful birds. meerkats
  • Score: 1

3:08pm Thu 6 Feb 14

meerkats says...

Helston fly on the wall wrote:
I love your comment meerkats, they are beautiful birds, glad it was lucky enough to be rescued. I wouldn't want to release it too soon, until the storms have completely gone.
I see we both got thumbs down ,that just goes to show how pathetic people are , most people would agree with us and be concerned about the puffin ,doubt if they even bothered to read our comments because on nearly all my comments i get instant thumbs down. Carry on you wont bother me .
[quote][p][bold]Helston fly on the wall[/bold] wrote: I love your comment meerkats, they are beautiful birds, glad it was lucky enough to be rescued. I wouldn't want to release it too soon, until the storms have completely gone.[/p][/quote]I see we both got thumbs down ,that just goes to show how pathetic people are , most people would agree with us and be concerned about the puffin ,doubt if they even bothered to read our comments because on nearly all my comments i get instant thumbs down. Carry on you wont bother me . meerkats
  • Score: 5

4:02pm Thu 6 Feb 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

meerkats wrote:
Helston fly on the wall wrote:
I love your comment meerkats, they are beautiful birds, glad it was lucky enough to be rescued. I wouldn't want to release it too soon, until the storms have completely gone.
I see we both got thumbs down ,that just goes to show how pathetic people are , most people would agree with us and be concerned about the puffin ,doubt if they even bothered to read our comments because on nearly all my comments i get instant thumbs down. Carry on you wont bother me .
Don't worry meerkats I notice all mine and yours and Gillian's comments have been marked down on all comments, obviously someone who can't think of anything better to say themselves. Like you say, I expect most people would agree the puffin is safe, perhaps the person has no sense of humour or couldn't understand your comment because they are a bit simple. I love the colour of puffins, wonderful birds.
[quote][p][bold]meerkats[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helston fly on the wall[/bold] wrote: I love your comment meerkats, they are beautiful birds, glad it was lucky enough to be rescued. I wouldn't want to release it too soon, until the storms have completely gone.[/p][/quote]I see we both got thumbs down ,that just goes to show how pathetic people are , most people would agree with us and be concerned about the puffin ,doubt if they even bothered to read our comments because on nearly all my comments i get instant thumbs down. Carry on you wont bother me .[/p][/quote]Don't worry meerkats I notice all mine and yours and Gillian's comments have been marked down on all comments, obviously someone who can't think of anything better to say themselves. Like you say, I expect most people would agree the puffin is safe, perhaps the person has no sense of humour or couldn't understand your comment because they are a bit simple. I love the colour of puffins, wonderful birds. Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: 13

7:04pm Fri 7 Feb 14

lizardsmitten says...

I like reading all of your comments, keeps me in touch with all thats happening on the LIzard. You all get a big thumbs up from me.
I like reading all of your comments, keeps me in touch with all thats happening on the LIzard. You all get a big thumbs up from me. lizardsmitten
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree