Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting PKNEWS to 80360
Want to see the list and cost of storm repairs needed so far in Cornwall?
6:00am Tuesday 11th February 2014 in News
With the storms estimated to have cost in excess of £21 million, so far, here is the list of repairs needed.
The figures below are the current estimate of the costs of the repairs and may change as more detailed information is available on the damage which has occurred in specific areas.
Portreath Harbour where there has been severe damage to the pier.
• Interim repairs – current estimated costs £51k • Capital repairs - current estimated costs £800k • Potential coastal flooding to 40 properties • Economic impact on 5 fishing boats.
St Ives where two piers have been damaged. • Interim repairs - current estimated costs £22k • Permanent repairs - current estimated costs £22k Impact • Minor repairs to be implemented within two weeks.
Newlyn to Marazion where damage includes a breach of coastal defences at Eastern Green and Long Rock threatening the Paddington/Penzance railway line, residential and commercial property, South West Coastal Path; damage to South Quay, Penzance, threatening the link to the Isles of Scilly and damage also to Penzance promenade, Jubilee Pool, Newlyn Green.
• Interim repairs - current estimated costs £0.685m • Permanent repairs -current estimated costs £5.6m Impact • Major damage to coastal defences threatening the Penzance/Paddington railway line, residential and commercial properties and the South West Coastal Path • Interim repairs completed by 31 January 2014.
Porthleven (privately owned harbour) where there has been damage to coastal defences, with up to 40 properties at risk from coastal flooding, a breach of the river defences and significant damage to the fishing fleet.
• Interim repairs to coastal and river defences - current estimated costs £105k • Capital repairs to harbour (privately owned) to be estimated Impact • Impact on tourism economy • Economic damage to fishing fleet
Newquay Fistral -where there has been damage to coastal defences and undermining of the Fistral Surf Centre; the removal of sand led to undermining of the Fistral RNLI training base and damage to the sand dunes led to damage to several accesses to the beach.
• Interim repairs - current estimated costs £15k • Capital repairs - current estimated costs £500k Impact • Potential impact on the multiple businesses in Fistral Surf Centre • Concerns over the structural integrity of the RNLI training centre • Some access structures - severely damaged
Mullion Harbour - (National Trust Property) where there has been structural damage to Eastern Breakwater. Cost of damage • Estimate awaited from National Trust Impact • Collapse of breakwater would threaten up to six residential properties.
Newquay Towan and Harbour where there has been damage to the road access to Blue Reef Aquarium, damage to the Towan Promenade and beach huts and damage to harbour assets and harbour masters office.
• Interim repairs - current estimated costs £22k • Capital repairs - current estimated costs £335k Impact • Risk to service supplies and access to the Aquarium • Damage to harbour assets impeding commercial uses.
St Mawes where there has been damage to highway, damage to coastal defences at Summers Beach and damage to privately owned quay.
• Interim repairs - current estimated costs £108k • Capital repairs - current estimated costs £12k • Estimates for damage to private pier being prepared Impact • Significant damage to road and commercial premises • Significant damage to private owned pier and harbour master office.
Bude where interim repairs to Bude Canal and coastal defences have now been completed.
• Interim repairs - current estimated costs £59k • Capital repairs - current estimated costs £130k • Further damage to be estimated
Calstock where the failure of a highway wall resulted in the collapse of the road.
• Initial response - current estimated costs £0.1m • Capital repairs - current estimated costs £0.5m Impact • No vehicular access to 43 properties and 1 business • 40 trapped cars retrieved by military
Looe where there has been damage to harbour assets and to the coastal defences at Hannafore.
• Interim repairs - current estimated costs £80k • Capital repairs - CC - current estimated costs - £20k • Looe Harbour Commissioners are preparing estimates Impact • Need for major scheme to give long term protection from coastal inundation • Need for marketing campaign to ensure message that ‘Cornwall is open’
Kingsand / Cawsand where there has been significant damage to coastal defences and residential properties and to the structural integrity of the institute and the clock tower.
• Interim repairs - current estimated costs £20k • Capital repairs - current estimated costs £585k Impact • Very high national media focus - threat to tourism and the local economy
Seaton where there has been significant damage to beach profile and local businesses and the loss of wall at the rear of the beach.
• Interim repairs - current estimated costs £70 • Capital repairs - current estimated costs £575k Impact • Requires design and installation of new coastal defences.
Comments are closed on this article.