Police have revealed that the man found dead on Perranporth Beach had one of his own socks stuffed in his mouth.

Officers are now focusing on CCTV footage to trace Alan Jeal’s last movements on Monday, February 24, the day before his body was found on Perranporth Beach, and are asking for the public's help.

Detectives have released a map and a series of CCTV images showing a man, believed to be Alan, in Truro city centre that evening.

It is believed that Alan got the number 594 bus from Wadebridge to the Lemon Quay area of Truro, arriving at the bus station at 6.14pm. He was seen walking towards the public toilets at The Leats, and was last seen at 6.36pm in Boscawen Street.

Falmouth Packet:

Officers are trying to find out where the 64-year-old from Wadebridge went after that, and how he got to Perranporth.

DCI Dave Thorne, Senior Investigating Officer, said: “We are keen to speak to anyone who saw Alan on Monday 24 February, whether walking, on public transport or in a car.

“We have traced his movements up until 6.36pm in Truro city centre but we need the public’s help in establishing where he went after that.”

Alan’s body was discovered by a member of the public while out walking his dog at around 2pm on Tuesday 25 February. He was naked apart from wearing socks and one walking shoe.

Alan lived alone and was not reported missing to the Police.

Multiple injuries were found on his body which are inconsistent with drowning and cannot be easily explained.

Police also released a series of photographs of items which were found on the beach.

The Regatta jacket, wallet and photograph, which were found on Wednesday, 26 February are believed to be Alan's.

It is believed that the photograph found in the wallet shows Alan when he was two years old in the family home.

It is not known whether the rucksack and woolly hat, found nearby on the same day that the body was found, are linked to him.

Police have revealed that when Alan’s body was discovered, a sock was found in his mouth.

“We can’t think of an explanation as to why it would be there and this is one of the reasons we are treating Alan’s death as suspicious.

“Officers are keeping an open mind as to the cause of his death. Murder is one possibility we are considering, however his death may have been caused by accident or suicide.

“We would also to hear from anyone who may have witnessed the discovery of his body on the beach on Tuesday 25 February and may have recorded the incident on their camera or mobile phone,” added DCI Thorne.

Anyone with any information that could assist with the investigation is asked to call police on 101 quoting log 381 of 1 March, or alternatively call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.