Axe falls on Helston library and One Stop Shop opening hours

Falmouth Packet: Axe falls on Helston library and One Stop Shop opening hours Axe falls on Helston library and One Stop Shop opening hours

The axe has been taken to Helston library and One Stop Shop opening hours, with the move blamed on the need to find savings at Cornwall Council.

Helston Library will lose nine hours a week, closing on two days, with opening hours at the town's One Shop Stop also reduced.

Most Cornwall Council libraries and one stop shops across the county will be open for one day less per week, with the changes coming to effect on June 1 this year. The move has been presented as a necessity, to “keep all sites open rather than closing some of them”.

The library in Helston will now close completely on Tuesdays and Thursdays, a reduction in opening hours of nine, a 26 per cent fall. It was previously closed all day on Wednesday.

The Helston One Stop Shop has also had its opening hours cut, from 40 hours per week to 32, a drop of 20 per cent.

Mayor of Helston, Jonathan Radford Gaby said it was always a “great shame when the axe falls on services in Helston” however he understood that the council needs to “cut its cloth to suit its pockets”.

“These are essential services that are important to the people of Helston. It is a great shame.”

Councillor Andrew Wallis, who represents Helston South at the authority said: “The Council has to find £196m in savings in the next four years. This is on top of the £170m previously found. The previous amount was found - just, but this time it will be a lot more difficult and will mean services provision will change, or in some cases stop completely.

“I know the service area I cover in my portfolio has seen reductions and stopping of services. It is not nice, and if things funding wise were different, I would not be having to make those difficult choices. But we do, as the £196m is a real game changer, and we cannot do it by a few tweaks here and there.

“ This is being done to make the savings required, but more importantly, stops the Council from actually closing down any of the facilities. You many not like it, but you will like it less if the provision was closed down, and the building sold off.

Cornwall Council cabinet member for shared services Adam Paynter said: “As part of the budget process and requirement to save £1.3m from our 'customer access' services, members made the decision to save £400,000 from the library and one stop shop service by reducing opening hours.

“We came up with a proposal of reduced hours which we then talked through with local members, staff, unions and partners. We have listened to their comments and amended the plans where possible to minimise the disruption to the local community whilst still making the savings. We are now able to publish the final agreed revised opening times which will be introduced from June 1, 2014 ensuring plenty of notice for customers and partners who also use the buildings.

“Of course it is not ideal that the Council has had to cut opening hours at libraries and one stop shops but it has been necessary to meet our reducing budgets whilst allowing us to keep all sites open rather than closing some of them.”

Comments (59)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:08am Wed 19 Mar 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

I believe it is a better option than closure. I think they should have amalgamated the library with either the One Stop Shop or museum, an Internet cafe could be provided in one of the empty shops, this would provide a business opportunity for someone, as computer use is charged for currently in the library.
The existing library building could then possibly have been used as a community centre.
I believe it is a better option than closure. I think they should have amalgamated the library with either the One Stop Shop or museum, an Internet cafe could be provided in one of the empty shops, this would provide a business opportunity for someone, as computer use is charged for currently in the library. The existing library building could then possibly have been used as a community centre. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 8

12:56pm Wed 19 Mar 14

ronedgcumbe says...

It is always unfortunate when services are cut but these plans and the axing of the mobile service seems to be the fairest.
It is always unfortunate when services are cut but these plans and the axing of the mobile service seems to be the fairest. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: -9

1:10pm Wed 19 Mar 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

I am surprised they are cutting out the mobile library service as I believe that is run by volunteers, and penalises the elderly and those living in rural areas. Obviously of course there is the maintenance and fuel charges of the vehicle to consider, but then do they not pay for and run some vehicles for personal use at New County Hall at the tax payers expense?
I am surprised they are cutting out the mobile library service as I believe that is run by volunteers, and penalises the elderly and those living in rural areas. Obviously of course there is the maintenance and fuel charges of the vehicle to consider, but then do they not pay for and run some vehicles for personal use at New County Hall at the tax payers expense? Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 13

1:35pm Wed 19 Mar 14

DCI Jen says...

I agree with Ron.

Gill why does the mobile library service penalise the elderly and those living in rural areas? Or was it just your grammar, and you mean it will penalise them if they cut it out lol

With all these cuts and dumping services onto town councils will they need as many Cornwall Cllrs?
I agree with Ron. Gill why does the mobile library service penalise the elderly and those living in rural areas? Or was it just your grammar, and you mean it will penalise them if they cut it out lol With all these cuts and dumping services onto town councils will they need as many Cornwall Cllrs? DCI Jen
  • Score: 7

1:52pm Wed 19 Mar 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

DCI Jen wrote:
I agree with Ron.

Gill why does the mobile library service penalise the elderly and those living in rural areas? Or was it just your grammar, and you mean it will penalise them if they cut it out lol

With all these cuts and dumping services onto town councils will they need as many Cornwall Cllrs?
My comment structure in my last post was incorrect lol, yes, I meant it would penalise the elderly and those living in rural areas if the mobile service is cut.

I think you are being obtuse!
I do have it on good authority however, my "spelling isn't great" lol.

They cannot cut the amount of Cornwall Councillors without first conducting a boundary review, and I do not think there is one due until 2015/16.
[quote][p][bold]DCI Jen[/bold] wrote: I agree with Ron. Gill why does the mobile library service penalise the elderly and those living in rural areas? Or was it just your grammar, and you mean it will penalise them if they cut it out lol With all these cuts and dumping services onto town councils will they need as many Cornwall Cllrs?[/p][/quote]My comment structure in my last post was incorrect lol, yes, I meant it would penalise the elderly and those living in rural areas if the mobile service is cut. I think you are being obtuse! I do have it on good authority however, my "spelling isn't great" lol. They cannot cut the amount of Cornwall Councillors without first conducting a boundary review, and I do not think there is one due until 2015/16. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 9

7:05pm Wed 19 Mar 14

Rainbow over Helston says...

Seems to me people in the town still get a service but people that have no transport and are in rural locations with little bus services get no service because they have axed the mobile one. Too easy to say that is the fairest when you live in the town. Some people only care about services they use. When i lived in Helston i thought it was good but it sounds like Cornwall Cllrs are ruining it.
Seems to me people in the town still get a service but people that have no transport and are in rural locations with little bus services get no service because they have axed the mobile one. Too easy to say that is the fairest when you live in the town. Some people only care about services they use. When i lived in Helston i thought it was good but it sounds like Cornwall Cllrs are ruining it. Rainbow over Helston
  • Score: 11

10:31pm Wed 19 Mar 14

ronedgcumbe says...

Seems to me there are pros and cons wherever you live. If you live in a village you cannot expect town services.
That is why council tax payers in Helston are subjected to the 27% rise in council tax the town council has imposed. A tax that even those on means taxed benefits must pay. This basically means that people have to choose to eat or pay there council tax.
Seems to me there are pros and cons wherever you live. If you live in a village you cannot expect town services. That is why council tax payers in Helston are subjected to the 27% rise in council tax the town council has imposed. A tax that even those on means taxed benefits must pay. This basically means that people have to choose to eat or pay there council tax. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: -10

6:26am Thu 20 Mar 14

Rainbow over Helston says...

Dont think you can categorise people on benefits, some are poor and use the food banks and some on benfits smoke run a car and afford broadband internet. A mobile library is not a town service it is a service for rural areas that has been axed. So it is still a service they have lost and they still pay a large increase in council tax. You cant go by percentages because they include the police precept that everyone pays.
Dont think you can categorise people on benefits, some are poor and use the food banks and some on benfits smoke run a car and afford broadband internet. A mobile library is not a town service it is a service for rural areas that has been axed. So it is still a service they have lost and they still pay a large increase in council tax. You cant go by percentages because they include the police precept that everyone pays. Rainbow over Helston
  • Score: 12

7:06am Thu 20 Mar 14

ronedgcumbe says...

I would never categories anyone just stating that those that are means tested by the very definition should not be sent council tax bills.
Apart from the cuts to social care I think the country council is doing a good job considering the mess it inherited from the previous council.
Many can simply not afford to pay more council tax so clearly savings and some cuts are necessary. However these cuts are meaningless if the cap is not imposed at town council level where with some town rises are now out of control.
I would never categories anyone just stating that those that are means tested by the very definition should not be sent council tax bills. Apart from the cuts to social care I think the country council is doing a good job considering the mess it inherited from the previous council. Many can simply not afford to pay more council tax so clearly savings and some cuts are necessary. However these cuts are meaningless if the cap is not imposed at town council level where with some town rises are now out of control. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: -13

10:16am Thu 20 Mar 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

Ron, the unitary authority is governed by cap as you are aware, however, the government acknowledged this year, it would be detrimental to services to cap the town council precepts. The recently devolved Cornwall Council services will be cheaper to run at town council level in the long term, however, obviously initial provision of funds has to be sought by way of council tax increase in order for the town council to take over these services and allow the continuation of them. The fact remains if the town councils did not take responsibility, then the provision of the services by Cornwall Council would continue to be even more expensive long term and many of the services would be lost completely.
Out of interest, have you attended the council meetings? Or approached any town Councillor in order to discuss your concerns with them?
What is the alternative? freeze or lower council tax and lose all the town council provided services? town councils have no jurisdiction over certain unitary authority mandatory responsibilities, no matter how the town council spend their funding allowance, their budget will have no bearing on the cuts made by Cornwall Council to their existing responsibilities such as care services and schools etc.

I personally do not believe one as an outsider to the council, should say the town council should reduce their precept without stating exactly how one proposes this be done, or standing by ones beliefs publicly and stating which services one personally would abandon, because to cut the precept would inevitably result in loss of services. I believe with criticism, one should offer an alternative suggestion or solution. I am guilty of criticism of certain things but I do offer a suggestion, whether I am right or wrong, at least it is a suggestion.
Ron, the unitary authority is governed by cap as you are aware, however, the government acknowledged this year, it would be detrimental to services to cap the town council precepts. The recently devolved Cornwall Council services will be cheaper to run at town council level in the long term, however, obviously initial provision of funds has to be sought by way of council tax increase in order for the town council to take over these services and allow the continuation of them. The fact remains if the town councils did not take responsibility, then the provision of the services by Cornwall Council would continue to be even more expensive long term and many of the services would be lost completely. Out of interest, have you attended the council meetings? Or approached any town Councillor in order to discuss your concerns with them? What is the alternative? freeze or lower council tax and lose all the town council provided services? town councils have no jurisdiction over certain unitary authority mandatory responsibilities, no matter how the town council spend their funding allowance, their budget will have no bearing on the cuts made by Cornwall Council to their existing responsibilities such as care services and schools etc. I personally do not believe one as an outsider to the council, should say the town council should reduce their precept without stating exactly how one proposes this be done, or standing by ones beliefs publicly and stating which services one personally would abandon, because to cut the precept would inevitably result in loss of services. I believe with criticism, one should offer an alternative suggestion or solution. I am guilty of criticism of certain things but I do offer a suggestion, whether I am right or wrong, at least it is a suggestion. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 11

6:01pm Thu 20 Mar 14

ronedgcumbe says...

Without a complete breakdown and access to town council finances it would be impossible for me to say where savings should be made but as a council tax payer who is actually expected to pay this 27% increase I think it is right to say that savings should be made and not simply from the more emotive items such as public toilets.
I have never attended a council meeting but have discussed my concerns regularly with a few but by no means all town councillors.
Hopefully this item will get raised during next year's election campaign and a cap on town council spending imposed.
Without a complete breakdown and access to town council finances it would be impossible for me to say where savings should be made but as a council tax payer who is actually expected to pay this 27% increase I think it is right to say that savings should be made and not simply from the more emotive items such as public toilets. I have never attended a council meeting but have discussed my concerns regularly with a few but by no means all town councillors. Hopefully this item will get raised during next year's election campaign and a cap on town council spending imposed. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: -9

7:00pm Thu 20 Mar 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

I am not quite sure the item to which you refer that you hope will be brought up at the next years general election. If you refer to the capping of town council precepts, I doubt this will enter into the prospective parliamentary candidates manifestos.
As you previously said, there are advantages and disadvantages to residing in a town or a village and you may consider the Helston precept a disadvantage, however, I believe it is the only way in which to protect services.
I am not quite sure the item to which you refer that you hope will be brought up at the next years general election. If you refer to the capping of town council precepts, I doubt this will enter into the prospective parliamentary candidates manifestos. As you previously said, there are advantages and disadvantages to residing in a town or a village and you may consider the Helston precept a disadvantage, however, I believe it is the only way in which to protect services. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 5

12:55am Fri 21 Mar 14

Helston Observer says...

The fact remains that if you want the services, they have to be paid for. Percentages are not relevant, it amounts to 40p odd per week for the average council tax payer at band D (so I am told), at least the town council can point to what they are spending the extra money on, unlike Cornwall Council, who are cutting and shedding left, right and centre, but are still increasing council tax by nearly 2 percent.
The fact remains that if you want the services, they have to be paid for. Percentages are not relevant, it amounts to 40p odd per week for the average council tax payer at band D (so I am told), at least the town council can point to what they are spending the extra money on, unlike Cornwall Council, who are cutting and shedding left, right and centre, but are still increasing council tax by nearly 2 percent. Helston Observer
  • Score: 8

4:47am Fri 21 Mar 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

Excellent point made by Helston Observer.

With the town council you are getting something extra for your money, with Cornwall Council you pay up and get less, even at the full council meeting at Helston yesterday, only one out of three Helston Cornwall Councillors put in an appearance, the other two may have had other commitments, however, it does not alter the fact you can see what you get for your money with the town council.
Excellent point made by Helston Observer. With the town council you are getting something extra for your money, with Cornwall Council you pay up and get less, even at the full council meeting at Helston yesterday, only one out of three Helston Cornwall Councillors put in an appearance, the other two may have had other commitments, however, it does not alter the fact you can see what you get for your money with the town council. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 10

7:15am Fri 21 Mar 14

ronedgcumbe says...

Helston Observer wrote:
The fact remains that if you want the services, they have to be paid for. Percentages are not relevant, it amounts to 40p odd per week for the average council tax payer at band D (so I am told), at least the town council can point to what they are spending the extra money on, unlike Cornwall Council, who are cutting and shedding left, right and centre, but are still increasing council tax by nearly 2 percent.
If percentages are not relevant why then mention percentages.
[quote][p][bold]Helston Observer[/bold] wrote: The fact remains that if you want the services, they have to be paid for. Percentages are not relevant, it amounts to 40p odd per week for the average council tax payer at band D (so I am told), at least the town council can point to what they are spending the extra money on, unlike Cornwall Council, who are cutting and shedding left, right and centre, but are still increasing council tax by nearly 2 percent.[/p][/quote]If percentages are not relevant why then mention percentages. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: -13

8:51am Fri 21 Mar 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Helston Observer wrote:
The fact remains that if you want the services, they have to be paid for. Percentages are not relevant, it amounts to 40p odd per week for the average council tax payer at band D (so I am told), at least the town council can point to what they are spending the extra money on, unlike Cornwall Council, who are cutting and shedding left, right and centre, but are still increasing council tax by nearly 2 percent.
If percentages are not relevant why then mention percentages.
I interpret the post by Helston Observer as, with the Cornwall Council tax increase, Helston Observer has just stated it as a percentage because obviously their point is, the charge has been increased and services are cut and we are not receiving any extra services, therefore it doesn't really matter what the amount is in monetary figures, the fact is it has been increased with nothing to show for it. They probably did not have the exact monetary figures to hand. However, with the town precept, Helston Observer is giving an idea as to the small monetary figure it actually amounts to which needs to be paid for extra services to be provided and current services maintained.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helston Observer[/bold] wrote: The fact remains that if you want the services, they have to be paid for. Percentages are not relevant, it amounts to 40p odd per week for the average council tax payer at band D (so I am told), at least the town council can point to what they are spending the extra money on, unlike Cornwall Council, who are cutting and shedding left, right and centre, but are still increasing council tax by nearly 2 percent.[/p][/quote]If percentages are not relevant why then mention percentages.[/p][/quote]I interpret the post by Helston Observer as, with the Cornwall Council tax increase, Helston Observer has just stated it as a percentage because obviously their point is, the charge has been increased and services are cut and we are not receiving any extra services, therefore it doesn't really matter what the amount is in monetary figures, the fact is it has been increased with nothing to show for it. They probably did not have the exact monetary figures to hand. However, with the town precept, Helston Observer is giving an idea as to the small monetary figure it actually amounts to which needs to be paid for extra services to be provided and current services maintained. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 12

10:06am Fri 21 Mar 14

ronedgcumbe says...

I think we need a survey to establish what percentage of peaple actually believe percentages are irrelevant.
I think we need a survey to establish what percentage of peaple actually believe percentages are irrelevant. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: -9

10:44am Fri 21 Mar 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
I think we need a survey to establish what percentage of peaple actually believe percentages are irrelevant.
There would be little point, as the amount of people that return surveys to Helston Town Council is recorded as being very low!
Household survey 5,500 delivered, 323 returned. I personally find that clearer than saying 5.87%.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: I think we need a survey to establish what percentage of peaple actually believe percentages are irrelevant.[/p][/quote]There would be little point, as the amount of people that return surveys to Helston Town Council is recorded as being very low! Household survey 5,500 delivered, 323 returned. I personally find that clearer than saying 5.87%. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 9

7:52pm Fri 21 Mar 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

Gillian R.Z. Martin wrote:
Excellent point made by Helston Observer.

With the town council you are getting something extra for your money, with Cornwall Council you pay up and get less, even at the full council meeting at Helston yesterday, only one out of three Helston Cornwall Councillors put in an appearance, the other two may have had other commitments, however, it does not alter the fact you can see what you get for your money with the town council.
Perhaps a Cornwall Cllr doesnt want to go to a meeting where they can be asked awkward questions by the public.
Which one turned up?
[quote][p][bold]Gillian R.Z. Martin[/bold] wrote: Excellent point made by Helston Observer. With the town council you are getting something extra for your money, with Cornwall Council you pay up and get less, even at the full council meeting at Helston yesterday, only one out of three Helston Cornwall Councillors put in an appearance, the other two may have had other commitments, however, it does not alter the fact you can see what you get for your money with the town council.[/p][/quote]Perhaps a Cornwall Cllr doesnt want to go to a meeting where they can be asked awkward questions by the public. Which one turned up? Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: 6

9:14pm Fri 21 Mar 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

Helston fly on the wall wrote:
Gillian R.Z. Martin wrote:
Excellent point made by Helston Observer.

With the town council you are getting something extra for your money, with Cornwall Council you pay up and get less, even at the full council meeting at Helston yesterday, only one out of three Helston Cornwall Councillors put in an appearance, the other two may have had other commitments, however, it does not alter the fact you can see what you get for your money with the town council.
Perhaps a Cornwall Cllr doesnt want to go to a meeting where they can be asked awkward questions by the public.
Which one turned up?
I do not believe any Cornwall Councillor would avoid a meeting just in case they were asked questions by the public!
[quote][p][bold]Helston fly on the wall[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gillian R.Z. Martin[/bold] wrote: Excellent point made by Helston Observer. With the town council you are getting something extra for your money, with Cornwall Council you pay up and get less, even at the full council meeting at Helston yesterday, only one out of three Helston Cornwall Councillors put in an appearance, the other two may have had other commitments, however, it does not alter the fact you can see what you get for your money with the town council.[/p][/quote]Perhaps a Cornwall Cllr doesnt want to go to a meeting where they can be asked awkward questions by the public. Which one turned up?[/p][/quote]I do not believe any Cornwall Councillor would avoid a meeting just in case they were asked questions by the public! Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 8

2:15pm Sat 22 Mar 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Without a complete breakdown and access to town council finances it would be impossible for me to say where savings should be made but as a council tax payer who is actually expected to pay this 27% increase I think it is right to say that savings should be made and not simply from the more emotive items such as public toilets.
I have never attended a council meeting but have discussed my concerns regularly with a few but by no means all town councillors.
Hopefully this item will get raised during next year's election campaign and a cap on town council spending imposed.
Ron, you can attend the finances committee meetings, that would give you your answers? the meetings must be open to the public the same as all the other meetings, because otherwise what would be the point putting them on the TC website?


Gill if all Cornwall Cllrs are happy to answer questions from the public then what was all that about what someone wrote on here on another article, saying one of them looses his temper and shouts at people for asking sensible questions? Do you ever ask them any questions? Have any of them shouted at you? Have you asked any of the town Cllrs questions like Ron says he has?
Not only the library having cut backs, now I'm told Cornwall Council want to dump the park and lake. Will they have any responsibilities soon.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: Without a complete breakdown and access to town council finances it would be impossible for me to say where savings should be made but as a council tax payer who is actually expected to pay this 27% increase I think it is right to say that savings should be made and not simply from the more emotive items such as public toilets. I have never attended a council meeting but have discussed my concerns regularly with a few but by no means all town councillors. Hopefully this item will get raised during next year's election campaign and a cap on town council spending imposed.[/p][/quote]Ron, you can attend the finances committee meetings, that would give you your answers? the meetings must be open to the public the same as all the other meetings, because otherwise what would be the point putting them on the TC website? Gill if all Cornwall Cllrs are happy to answer questions from the public then what was all that about what someone wrote on here on another article, saying one of them looses his temper and shouts at people for asking sensible questions? Do you ever ask them any questions? Have any of them shouted at you? Have you asked any of the town Cllrs questions like Ron says he has? Not only the library having cut backs, now I'm told Cornwall Council want to dump the park and lake. Will they have any responsibilities soon. Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: 5

4:45pm Sat 22 Mar 14

ronedgcumbe says...

On the few occasions I have contacted my cornwall councillor and also my mp I have all ways received a prompt response but not always the correct one in my opinion.
I am concerned about your remark about the boating lake as any lack of county support here would prove disastrous for the town
For some reason I thought funding here was assured by councillor Wallace as the funds from the old gas works site where earmarked for the park.
On the few occasions I have contacted my cornwall councillor and also my mp I have all ways received a prompt response but not always the correct one in my opinion. I am concerned about your remark about the boating lake as any lack of county support here would prove disastrous for the town For some reason I thought funding here was assured by councillor Wallace as the funds from the old gas works site where earmarked for the park. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 2

5:12pm Sat 22 Mar 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

Yes I have asked a Helston Town Councillor numerous questions in person and my local Cornwall Councillor. As yet, neither have shouted at me.
They are both highly intelligent people with excellent communication skills and certainly very adept in tact and diplomacy.
With reference to the Cornwall Councillor mentioned in the article to which you refer, I also read the article and comments and I find it hard to believe the councillor mentioned would shout at members of the public for asking sensible questions, I have contacted this councillor by email to ask questions on several occasions and the replies I received were always polite and helpful.
I would not describe the park and boating lake exactly as being "dumped" by Cornwall Council, I believe they are looking to have it managed by other interested parties such as the SKA. I suppose this makes sense given the cuts to other services such as libraries etc.
Yes I have asked a Helston Town Councillor numerous questions in person and my local Cornwall Councillor. As yet, neither have shouted at me. They are both highly intelligent people with excellent communication skills and certainly very adept in tact and diplomacy. With reference to the Cornwall Councillor mentioned in the article to which you refer, I also read the article and comments and I find it hard to believe the councillor mentioned would shout at members of the public for asking sensible questions, I have contacted this councillor by email to ask questions on several occasions and the replies I received were always polite and helpful. I would not describe the park and boating lake exactly as being "dumped" by Cornwall Council, I believe they are looking to have it managed by other interested parties such as the SKA. I suppose this makes sense given the cuts to other services such as libraries etc. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 10

5:19pm Sat 22 Mar 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
On the few occasions I have contacted my cornwall councillor and also my mp I have all ways received a prompt response but not always the correct one in my opinion.
I am concerned about your remark about the boating lake as any lack of county support here would prove disastrous for the town
For some reason I thought funding here was assured by councillor Wallace as the funds from the old gas works site where earmarked for the park.
My last post was in answer to Helston fly on the wall.

Ron, surely it would be better for the park and lake to be managed by something like the South Kerrier Alliance as they run the Old Cattle Market do they not? and would have access to funds to repair and maintain the lake etc.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: On the few occasions I have contacted my cornwall councillor and also my mp I have all ways received a prompt response but not always the correct one in my opinion. I am concerned about your remark about the boating lake as any lack of county support here would prove disastrous for the town For some reason I thought funding here was assured by councillor Wallace as the funds from the old gas works site where earmarked for the park.[/p][/quote]My last post was in answer to Helston fly on the wall. Ron, surely it would be better for the park and lake to be managed by something like the South Kerrier Alliance as they run the Old Cattle Market do they not? and would have access to funds to repair and maintain the lake etc. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 8

5:27pm Sat 22 Mar 14

ronedgcumbe says...

Not sure what ska is Gill apart from a very good music genre from the late seventies.
I really hope this is incorrect as the consequences for Helston would be enormous.
I have all ways thought that having a councillor for Porthleven and a small portion of Helston could be detrimental to the more larger town hope I am not correct.
Not sure what ska is Gill apart from a very good music genre from the late seventies. I really hope this is incorrect as the consequences for Helston would be enormous. I have all ways thought that having a councillor for Porthleven and a small portion of Helston could be detrimental to the more larger town hope I am not correct. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: -8

5:38pm Sat 22 Mar 14

ronedgcumbe says...

Sorry our last post seemed to have Crossed.
To me the lack of support from county for the boating would indicate a weakness in Helston county council representation.
Simply a tooth and nail item. I believed funding had been received.
Sorry our last post seemed to have Crossed. To me the lack of support from county for the boating would indicate a weakness in Helston county council representation. Simply a tooth and nail item. I believed funding had been received. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: -2

5:41pm Sat 22 Mar 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Not sure what ska is Gill apart from a very good music genre from the late seventies.
I really hope this is incorrect as the consequences for Helston would be enormous.
I have all ways thought that having a councillor for Porthleven and a small portion of Helston could be detrimental to the more larger town hope I am not correct.
Ron, The SKA, is the South Kerrier Alliance, I believe the idea is to find interested parties to take over the management of the park. This I believe would be beneficial as they could access funding that may be unavailable to Cornwall Council, surely that can only be a good thing if the lake can be repaired and maintained properly. They already manage the Old Cattle Market I believe.

I do not believe that having Councillor Andrew Wallis covering Helston West in addition to Porthleven is detrimental in any way, he has achieved many things for both areas.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: Not sure what ska is Gill apart from a very good music genre from the late seventies. I really hope this is incorrect as the consequences for Helston would be enormous. I have all ways thought that having a councillor for Porthleven and a small portion of Helston could be detrimental to the more larger town hope I am not correct.[/p][/quote]Ron, The SKA, is the South Kerrier Alliance, I believe the idea is to find interested parties to take over the management of the park. This I believe would be beneficial as they could access funding that may be unavailable to Cornwall Council, surely that can only be a good thing if the lake can be repaired and maintained properly. They already manage the Old Cattle Market I believe. I do not believe that having Councillor Andrew Wallis covering Helston West in addition to Porthleven is detrimental in any way, he has achieved many things for both areas. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 7

5:48pm Sat 22 Mar 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Sorry our last post seemed to have Crossed.
To me the lack of support from county for the boating would indicate a weakness in Helston county council representation.
Simply a tooth and nail item. I believed funding had been received.
Our posts crossed again, my slow signal, and brain does not help.

I do not believe there is any weakness in the representation of Helston by Cornwall Council. If the money is not there surely it is better to seek management and funding of an alternative sort.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: Sorry our last post seemed to have Crossed. To me the lack of support from county for the boating would indicate a weakness in Helston county council representation. Simply a tooth and nail item. I believed funding had been received.[/p][/quote]Our posts crossed again, my slow signal, and brain does not help. I do not believe there is any weakness in the representation of Helston by Cornwall Council. If the money is not there surely it is better to seek management and funding of an alternative sort. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 9

5:57pm Sat 22 Mar 14

ronedgcumbe says...

Gillian R.Z. Martin wrote:
ronedgcumbe wrote:
On the few occasions I have contacted my cornwall councillor and also my mp I have all ways received a prompt response but not always the correct one in my opinion.
I am concerned about your remark about the boating lake as any lack of county support here would prove disastrous for the town
For some reason I thought funding here was assured by councillor Wallace as the funds from the old gas works site where earmarked for the park.
My last post was in answer to Helston fly on the wall.

Ron, surely it would be better for the park and lake to be managed by something like the South Kerrier Alliance as they run the Old Cattle Market do they not? and would have access to funds to repair and maintain the lake etc.
Frankly no while they are very good at running a community centre that is part funded by rented units I would never want to see an organisation like this responsible for something as important to Helston as its park.
[quote][p][bold]Gillian R.Z. Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: On the few occasions I have contacted my cornwall councillor and also my mp I have all ways received a prompt response but not always the correct one in my opinion. I am concerned about your remark about the boating lake as any lack of county support here would prove disastrous for the town For some reason I thought funding here was assured by councillor Wallace as the funds from the old gas works site where earmarked for the park.[/p][/quote]My last post was in answer to Helston fly on the wall. Ron, surely it would be better for the park and lake to be managed by something like the South Kerrier Alliance as they run the Old Cattle Market do they not? and would have access to funds to repair and maintain the lake etc.[/p][/quote]Frankly no while they are very good at running a community centre that is part funded by rented units I would never want to see an organisation like this responsible for something as important to Helston as its park. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: -8

6:02pm Sat 22 Mar 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

Ron, it is not where my information came from, but apparently there is something about it in the West Briton as well.
Ron, it is not where my information came from, but apparently there is something about it in the West Briton as well. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 4

6:14pm Sat 22 Mar 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Gillian R.Z. Martin wrote:
ronedgcumbe wrote:
On the few occasions I have contacted my cornwall councillor and also my mp I have all ways received a prompt response but not always the correct one in my opinion.
I am concerned about your remark about the boating lake as any lack of county support here would prove disastrous for the town
For some reason I thought funding here was assured by councillor Wallace as the funds from the old gas works site where earmarked for the park.
My last post was in answer to Helston fly on the wall.

Ron, surely it would be better for the park and lake to be managed by something like the South Kerrier Alliance as they run the Old Cattle Market do they not? and would have access to funds to repair and maintain the lake etc.
Frankly no while they are very good at running a community centre that is part funded by rented units I would never want to see an organisation like this responsible for something as important to Helston as its park.
I believe if the SKA are successful in an application to round one of the 'parks for people fund', it will provide a development grant which would then attract interested parties, then they can discuss future management of the park. They could hold a stakeholder meeting to support their 'round one' application.

Of course I might have it all wrong and they might just fill the lake in and cement all over the top and have bits of earth with flowers in lol
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gillian R.Z. Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: On the few occasions I have contacted my cornwall councillor and also my mp I have all ways received a prompt response but not always the correct one in my opinion. I am concerned about your remark about the boating lake as any lack of county support here would prove disastrous for the town For some reason I thought funding here was assured by councillor Wallace as the funds from the old gas works site where earmarked for the park.[/p][/quote]My last post was in answer to Helston fly on the wall. Ron, surely it would be better for the park and lake to be managed by something like the South Kerrier Alliance as they run the Old Cattle Market do they not? and would have access to funds to repair and maintain the lake etc.[/p][/quote]Frankly no while they are very good at running a community centre that is part funded by rented units I would never want to see an organisation like this responsible for something as important to Helston as its park.[/p][/quote]I believe if the SKA are successful in an application to round one of the 'parks for people fund', it will provide a development grant which would then attract interested parties, then they can discuss future management of the park. They could hold a stakeholder meeting to support their 'round one' application. Of course I might have it all wrong and they might just fill the lake in and cement all over the top and have bits of earth with flowers in lol Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 8

7:01pm Sat 22 Mar 14

ronedgcumbe says...

Oh dear. Sounds like a route to disaster to me.
A shame the packet are not reporting on this.
Oh dear. Sounds like a route to disaster to me. A shame the packet are not reporting on this. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 3

9:24pm Sat 22 Mar 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

I read it in the West Briton, didn't buy the paper just read the front page, where did you get your information Gill?
I read it in the West Briton, didn't buy the paper just read the front page, where did you get your information Gill? Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: 4

9:29pm Sat 22 Mar 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

Helston fly on the wall wrote:
I read it in the West Briton, didn't buy the paper just read the front page, where did you get your information Gill?
Some concerned ducks and swans told me while I was feeding them.
[quote][p][bold]Helston fly on the wall[/bold] wrote: I read it in the West Briton, didn't buy the paper just read the front page, where did you get your information Gill?[/p][/quote]Some concerned ducks and swans told me while I was feeding them. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 7

9:33pm Sat 22 Mar 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Oh dear. Sounds like a route to disaster to me.
A shame the packet are not reporting on this.
It will probably be in the Packet this week.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: Oh dear. Sounds like a route to disaster to me. A shame the packet are not reporting on this.[/p][/quote]It will probably be in the Packet this week. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 3

10:02am Sun 23 Mar 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

Incidentally, I notice the actual article says that Councillor Andrew Wallis represents Helston South, in actual fact he represents Helston West because Cornwall Council reclassified the Helston areas, it was South now it is West apparently, making me wonder what happened to South? Presumably then instead of North, South, East, and West, we just have North, West, and central?
If Cornwall Council can just get rid of geographical location, it makes me wonder what else they can get rid of!
Incidentally, I notice the actual article says that Councillor Andrew Wallis represents Helston South, in actual fact he represents Helston West because Cornwall Council reclassified the Helston areas, it was South now it is West apparently, making me wonder what happened to South? Presumably then instead of North, South, East, and West, we just have North, West, and central? If Cornwall Council can just get rid of geographical location, it makes me wonder what else they can get rid of! Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 9

2:19pm Sun 23 Mar 14

Rainbow over Helston says...

Gillian R.Z. Martin wrote:
Yes I have asked a Helston Town Councillor numerous questions in person and my local Cornwall Councillor. As yet, neither have shouted at me.
They are both highly intelligent people with excellent communication skills and certainly very adept in tact and diplomacy.
With reference to the Cornwall Councillor mentioned in the article to which you refer, I also read the article and comments and I find it hard to believe the councillor mentioned would shout at members of the public for asking sensible questions, I have contacted this councillor by email to ask questions on several occasions and the replies I received were always polite and helpful.
I would not describe the park and boating lake exactly as being "dumped" by Cornwall Council, I believe they are looking to have it managed by other interested parties such as the SKA. I suppose this makes sense given the cuts to other services such as libraries etc.
I read that article to. When i was living in Helston i was told a Cornwall Cllr was arrogant and only ever thought his view was the right view and everyone else was always wrong. Also if you argued a point he would shout at you, makes you wonder what they would do if they lost their temper. I agree with Ron i think it is poor representation of Helston not to fight to keep the park.
Sounds like CC wont own anything much in Helston anymore so does Helston need all those Cornwall Cllrs.
Wouldnt risk asking too many questions Gill, mind you i suppose someone cant shout at you in an email.
[quote][p][bold]Gillian R.Z. Martin[/bold] wrote: Yes I have asked a Helston Town Councillor numerous questions in person and my local Cornwall Councillor. As yet, neither have shouted at me. They are both highly intelligent people with excellent communication skills and certainly very adept in tact and diplomacy. With reference to the Cornwall Councillor mentioned in the article to which you refer, I also read the article and comments and I find it hard to believe the councillor mentioned would shout at members of the public for asking sensible questions, I have contacted this councillor by email to ask questions on several occasions and the replies I received were always polite and helpful. I would not describe the park and boating lake exactly as being "dumped" by Cornwall Council, I believe they are looking to have it managed by other interested parties such as the SKA. I suppose this makes sense given the cuts to other services such as libraries etc.[/p][/quote]I read that article to. When i was living in Helston i was told a Cornwall Cllr was arrogant and only ever thought his view was the right view and everyone else was always wrong. Also if you argued a point he would shout at you, makes you wonder what they would do if they lost their temper. I agree with Ron i think it is poor representation of Helston not to fight to keep the park. Sounds like CC wont own anything much in Helston anymore so does Helston need all those Cornwall Cllrs. Wouldnt risk asking too many questions Gill, mind you i suppose someone cant shout at you in an email. Rainbow over Helston
  • Score: 7

2:29pm Sun 23 Mar 14

Rainbow over Helston says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Sorry our last post seemed to have Crossed.
To me the lack of support from county for the boating would indicate a weakness in Helston county council representation.
Simply a tooth and nail item. I believed funding had been received.
I agree with you, did they use the funding for the skate park instead? Is this because the people at the top of the council have changed?
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: Sorry our last post seemed to have Crossed. To me the lack of support from county for the boating would indicate a weakness in Helston county council representation. Simply a tooth and nail item. I believed funding had been received.[/p][/quote]I agree with you, did they use the funding for the skate park instead? Is this because the people at the top of the council have changed? Rainbow over Helston
  • Score: 9

6:31am Mon 24 Mar 14

Rainbow over Helston says...

Gill isnt this the same Cllr that accused you of making a negative comment about the people tidying up Porthleven just because you said it was a pity the councils community spirit didnt run to openening the toilets? So it looks to me he only sees things from his point of view and doesnt listen to the public. Now it looks like the same will happen with the park because did CC even discuss this with the public? I would be inclined to believe about the shouting at people. I know you Gill and Ron ask a lot of questions so i would be careful if i was you.
Gill isnt this the same Cllr that accused you of making a negative comment about the people tidying up Porthleven just because you said it was a pity the councils community spirit didnt run to openening the toilets? So it looks to me he only sees things from his point of view and doesnt listen to the public. Now it looks like the same will happen with the park because did CC even discuss this with the public? I would be inclined to believe about the shouting at people. I know you Gill and Ron ask a lot of questions so i would be careful if i was you. Rainbow over Helston
  • Score: 7

12:37pm Mon 24 Mar 14

Three Word Wonder says...

Axe not needed if you residents used library
cant say ive seen many helston packet commenters in there
all talk.service is there to be used

Same old same old
Axe not needed if you residents used library cant say ive seen many helston packet commenters in there all talk.service is there to be used Same old same old Three Word Wonder
  • Score: -8

1:05pm Mon 24 Mar 14

Rainbow over Helston says...

Three Word Wonder wrote:
Axe not needed if you residents used library
cant say ive seen many helston packet commenters in there
all talk.service is there to be used

Same old same old
How would you know what the Helston Packet commenters look like? and even if you did how would you know when they go in there unl ess you worked there? No one has said the idea of cutting the hours is a bad thing except ron and how on earth would you know who uses a mobile library?
[quote][p][bold]Three Word Wonder[/bold] wrote: Axe not needed if you residents used library cant say ive seen many helston packet commenters in there all talk.service is there to be used Same old same old[/p][/quote]How would you know what the Helston Packet commenters look like? and even if you did how would you know when they go in there unl ess you worked there? No one has said the idea of cutting the hours is a bad thing except ron and how on earth would you know who uses a mobile library? Rainbow over Helston
  • Score: 8

1:15pm Mon 24 Mar 14

Rainbow over Helston says...

Three Word Wonder wrote:
Axe not needed if you residents used library
cant say ive seen many helston packet commenters in there
all talk.service is there to be used

Same old same old
Judging by your comment i would guess youre a Cornwall Cllr.
[quote][p][bold]Three Word Wonder[/bold] wrote: Axe not needed if you residents used library cant say ive seen many helston packet commenters in there all talk.service is there to be used Same old same old[/p][/quote]Judging by your comment i would guess youre a Cornwall Cllr. Rainbow over Helston
  • Score: 8

1:45pm Mon 24 Mar 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

Three Word Wonder wrote:
Axe not needed if you residents used library
cant say ive seen many helston packet commenters in there
all talk.service is there to be used

Same old same old
I suggest you are wrong to categorise people, you have no way of knowing which Helston Packet posters, if any, utilize the library services. I would suggest some elderly people could be deterred by the location and/or car-park charges.
I additionally suggest you have misinterpreted the posts of others, as I cannot see anywhere where anyone has said cutting the hours of the library service is a bad idea.
[quote][p][bold]Three Word Wonder[/bold] wrote: Axe not needed if you residents used library cant say ive seen many helston packet commenters in there all talk.service is there to be used Same old same old[/p][/quote]I suggest you are wrong to categorise people, you have no way of knowing which Helston Packet posters, if any, utilize the library services. I would suggest some elderly people could be deterred by the location and/or car-park charges. I additionally suggest you have misinterpreted the posts of others, as I cannot see anywhere where anyone has said cutting the hours of the library service is a bad idea. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 10

2:13pm Mon 24 Mar 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

Three Word Wonder wrote:
Axe not needed if you residents used library
cant say ive seen many helston packet commenters in there
all talk.service is there to be used

Same old same old
You don't even know who residents are, and if you think only local people are entitled to comment on here then you're mistaken.
I do use the library regularly so I think you should get your facts right before you comment. You haven't a clue what I look like.
As for how many people use it, it wouldn't matter how many people used it, Cornwall Council would still cut the hours, they've cut respite services and no less people use them than before.
[quote][p][bold]Three Word Wonder[/bold] wrote: Axe not needed if you residents used library cant say ive seen many helston packet commenters in there all talk.service is there to be used Same old same old[/p][/quote]You don't even know who residents are, and if you think only local people are entitled to comment on here then you're mistaken. I do use the library regularly so I think you should get your facts right before you comment. You haven't a clue what I look like. As for how many people use it, it wouldn't matter how many people used it, Cornwall Council would still cut the hours, they've cut respite services and no less people use them than before. Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: 9

2:17pm Mon 24 Mar 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

Rainbow over Helston wrote:
Three Word Wonder wrote:
Axe not needed if you residents used library
cant say ive seen many helston packet commenters in there
all talk.service is there to be used

Same old same old
Judging by your comment i would guess youre a Cornwall Cllr.
Don't agree, I think the Cornwall Cllrs would have the intelligence to spell Helston with a capital.
[quote][p][bold]Rainbow over Helston[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Three Word Wonder[/bold] wrote: Axe not needed if you residents used library cant say ive seen many helston packet commenters in there all talk.service is there to be used Same old same old[/p][/quote]Judging by your comment i would guess youre a Cornwall Cllr.[/p][/quote]Don't agree, I think the Cornwall Cllrs would have the intelligence to spell Helston with a capital. Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: 10

2:46pm Mon 24 Mar 14

Rainbow over Helston says...

I apologise to you Ron, just realised you didnt say it was a bad idea either to cut the hours of the library. No one has. Gill only said she was surprised about the mobile one. She sounded like she was only concerned for others.
I apologise to you Ron, just realised you didnt say it was a bad idea either to cut the hours of the library. No one has. Gill only said she was surprised about the mobile one. She sounded like she was only concerned for others. Rainbow over Helston
  • Score: 9

4:03pm Mon 24 Mar 14

Rainbow over Helston says...

Three Word Wonder wrote:
Axe not needed if you residents used library
cant say ive seen many helston packet commenters in there
all talk.service is there to be used

Same old same old
Youre all talk yourself, and no sense i think. Im not obliged to use a library service if i dont want. The service is there to be used in the park, do you play on the swings. Same old person different name, same old comments. Axe not needed then for the park because it is well used but Cornwall Council still want rid.
[quote][p][bold]Three Word Wonder[/bold] wrote: Axe not needed if you residents used library cant say ive seen many helston packet commenters in there all talk.service is there to be used Same old same old[/p][/quote]Youre all talk yourself, and no sense i think. Im not obliged to use a library service if i dont want. The service is there to be used in the park, do you play on the swings. Same old person different name, same old comments. Axe not needed then for the park because it is well used but Cornwall Council still want rid. Rainbow over Helston
  • Score: 5

8:20pm Mon 24 Mar 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

Rainbow over Helston wrote:
Three Word Wonder wrote:
Axe not needed if you residents used library
cant say ive seen many helston packet commenters in there
all talk.service is there to be used

Same old same old
Judging by your comment i would guess youre a Cornwall Cllr.
I do not think Three Word Wonder is a councillor, if you read all the posts placed by Three Word Wonder in 2012 on the Helston Community Centre article, the comments in my opinion echo posts placed by Telstar 1962.
[quote][p][bold]Rainbow over Helston[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Three Word Wonder[/bold] wrote: Axe not needed if you residents used library cant say ive seen many helston packet commenters in there all talk.service is there to be used Same old same old[/p][/quote]Judging by your comment i would guess youre a Cornwall Cllr.[/p][/quote]I do not think Three Word Wonder is a councillor, if you read all the posts placed by Three Word Wonder in 2012 on the Helston Community Centre article, the comments in my opinion echo posts placed by Telstar 1962. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 4

9:17pm Mon 24 Mar 14

Rainbow over Helston says...

Just read them, see what you mean if you read the later articles as well on the community centre they seem identical virtually. Perhaps Three Word Wonder works in the library and checks up the last time books were taken out lol.. Well im in Scotland now so i wont be taking any out. I agree with Ron.
Just read them, see what you mean if you read the later articles as well on the community centre they seem identical virtually. Perhaps Three Word Wonder works in the library and checks up the last time books were taken out lol.. Well im in Scotland now so i wont be taking any out. I agree with Ron. Rainbow over Helston
  • Score: 4

6:15am Tue 25 Mar 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

Well placing a comment like Three Word Wonder has doesn't encourage me to use the Helston library service, it encourages me to avoid it.

Why should essential services be cut back on and not non essential services like the library, I think Cornwall Council made the right decisions. Camborne library is better than Helston anyway, Oh yes, I'm supporting Passmore Edwards lol.
Well placing a comment like Three Word Wonder has doesn't encourage me to use the Helston library service, it encourages me to avoid it. Why should essential services be cut back on and not non essential services like the library, I think Cornwall Council made the right decisions. Camborne library is better than Helston anyway, Oh yes, I'm supporting Passmore Edwards lol. Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: 8

7:53am Tue 25 Mar 14

Three Word Wonder says...

Use it or
Use it or Three Word Wonder
  • Score: -11

7:59am Tue 25 Mar 14

Three Word Wonder says...

Lose it

When you have the time, trawl through the comments going back two years.Sad.
Were you in the library on a rainy monday affternoon gill,with to much time on your hands?
Lose it When you have the time, trawl through the comments going back two years.Sad. Were you in the library on a rainy monday affternoon gill,with to much time on your hands? Three Word Wonder
  • Score: -10

8:45am Tue 25 Mar 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

Three Word Wonder wrote:
Lose it

When you have the time, trawl through the comments going back two years.Sad.
Were you in the library on a rainy monday affternoon gill,with to much time on your hands?
I very rarely use the library, and I believe Cornwall Council have made a perfectly fair decision. I have no complaints about the hours the library will remain open, as I previously said, it is better than closure. I did not need to trawl back through comments, I have a good memory and remembered the user name, and to which article it was connected, and therefore had a quick look at the article again. I never have too much time on my hands, which incidentally is something telstar1962 also mentioned as a jibe once to me.
As has been previously mentioned by another poster, whatever the user rate of the library, Cornwall Council would still make cut backs.
If you are disgruntled with cuts to the library service may I politely suggest you aim your criticism at Cornwall Council as opposed to blaming others for not using a service they do not require.
[quote][p][bold]Three Word Wonder[/bold] wrote: Lose it When you have the time, trawl through the comments going back two years.Sad. Were you in the library on a rainy monday affternoon gill,with to much time on your hands?[/p][/quote]I very rarely use the library, and I believe Cornwall Council have made a perfectly fair decision. I have no complaints about the hours the library will remain open, as I previously said, it is better than closure. I did not need to trawl back through comments, I have a good memory and remembered the user name, and to which article it was connected, and therefore had a quick look at the article again. I never have too much time on my hands, which incidentally is something telstar1962 also mentioned as a jibe once to me. As has been previously mentioned by another poster, whatever the user rate of the library, Cornwall Council would still make cut backs. If you are disgruntled with cuts to the library service may I politely suggest you aim your criticism at Cornwall Council as opposed to blaming others for not using a service they do not require. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 10

9:48am Tue 25 Mar 14

Rainbow over Helston says...

I think Three Word Wonders posts are like ms perfects as well, lot of computers in that library lol. I first thought Three Word Wonder was a Cllr. Well at least you have the intelligence Gill not to have digs and be sarcastic or rude back. Cant expect people to use a library just because it suits him.
I think Three Word Wonders posts are like ms perfects as well, lot of computers in that library lol. I first thought Three Word Wonder was a Cllr. Well at least you have the intelligence Gill not to have digs and be sarcastic or rude back. Cant expect people to use a library just because it suits him. Rainbow over Helston
  • Score: 13

11:38am Tue 25 Mar 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

Three Word Wonder wrote:
Lose it

When you have the time, trawl through the comments going back two years.Sad.
Were you in the library on a rainy monday affternoon gill,with to much time on your hands?
I have got plenty of time on my hands thanks, and that's my business, and I have read all the backdated comments by you, telstar and miss perfect, and I can see why Gill posted what she did, also because Rainbow over Helston said she thought Three Word Wonder was a Cornwall Cllr, and Gill obviously thought you weren't a Cllr and probably didn't want the Cllrs to take the flak for your ridiculous first comment. You now say "use it or lose it" there are cut backs to lots of things by Cornwall Council right now and just because you might work there or use it, doesn't mean everyone else wants to use it. There are loads of charity shops selling cheap books and at coffee mornings, there is the Internet for reference and not everyone has time for libraries, it is not central in the town and there are no toilets there or nearby. Anyone coming by car has to pay to park and for the elderly it is another hill on top of the town centre hills.
[quote][p][bold]Three Word Wonder[/bold] wrote: Lose it When you have the time, trawl through the comments going back two years.Sad. Were you in the library on a rainy monday affternoon gill,with to much time on your hands?[/p][/quote]I have got plenty of time on my hands thanks, and that's my business, and I have read all the backdated comments by you, telstar and miss perfect, and I can see why Gill posted what she did, also because Rainbow over Helston said she thought Three Word Wonder was a Cornwall Cllr, and Gill obviously thought you weren't a Cllr and probably didn't want the Cllrs to take the flak for your ridiculous first comment. You now say "use it or lose it" there are cut backs to lots of things by Cornwall Council right now and just because you might work there or use it, doesn't mean everyone else wants to use it. There are loads of charity shops selling cheap books and at coffee mornings, there is the Internet for reference and not everyone has time for libraries, it is not central in the town and there are no toilets there or nearby. Anyone coming by car has to pay to park and for the elderly it is another hill on top of the town centre hills. Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: 8

11:56am Tue 25 Mar 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

By the way Three Word Wonder, have you ever heard of a kindle or kindle App.
That's modern progress for you I am afraid. Electronic book availability.
Bit like Internet shopping.
If my memory serves me right I think telstar once said Helston deserves what it gets.
By the way Three Word Wonder, have you ever heard of a kindle or kindle App. That's modern progress for you I am afraid. Electronic book availability. Bit like Internet shopping. If my memory serves me right I think telstar once said Helston deserves what it gets. Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: 4

1:47pm Tue 25 Mar 14

telstar1962 says...

I regret to inform you all that having read the news about Helston Library,and the cut-backs proposed, I can confirm that I only post under my name: telstar1962, and I am indeed sorry to hear that the Library services are at risk.

As a person above states, there are many other forms of reading material available in this technological age, to which the vast majority of inhabitants of Helston are no doubt capable of embracing
I regret to inform you all that having read the news about Helston Library,and the cut-backs proposed, I can confirm that I only post under my name: telstar1962, and I am indeed sorry to hear that the Library services are at risk. As a person above states, there are many other forms of reading material available in this technological age, to which the vast majority of inhabitants of Helston are no doubt capable of embracing telstar1962
  • Score: -6

2:48pm Tue 25 Mar 14

Rainbow over Helston says...

Three Word Wonder wrote:
Lose it

When you have the time, trawl through the comments going back two years.Sad.
Were you in the library on a rainy monday affternoon gill,with to much time on your hands?
Your posts on the Helston Community Centre article were so well written. Such contrast. Hope they close the library sell off the building and invest the money into the Passmore Edwards building in Helston. They could move the library there, they could always issue hard hats to enter the building with.
[quote][p][bold]Three Word Wonder[/bold] wrote: Lose it When you have the time, trawl through the comments going back two years.Sad. Were you in the library on a rainy monday affternoon gill,with to much time on your hands?[/p][/quote]Your posts on the Helston Community Centre article were so well written. Such contrast. Hope they close the library sell off the building and invest the money into the Passmore Edwards building in Helston. They could move the library there, they could always issue hard hats to enter the building with. Rainbow over Helston
  • Score: 4

6:45am Thu 27 Mar 14

Rainbow over Helston says...

Three Word Wonder wrote:
Lose it

When you have the time, trawl through the comments going back two years.Sad.
Were you in the library on a rainy monday affternoon gill,with to much time on your hands?
People like you make me laugh, you make snide remarks about others being all talk, in your first comment just because some dont want to use the library, then you are rude to Gill just because she rembered you posting on the community centre article. Gill is not all talk, she stands by her beliefs which is more than you do, posting on here under a false name telling people to use it or lose it, you cant even put your real name to that so why should others support it. If you want to be rude to Gill at least have courage of your convictions and put your name to it.
[quote][p][bold]Three Word Wonder[/bold] wrote: Lose it When you have the time, trawl through the comments going back two years.Sad. Were you in the library on a rainy monday affternoon gill,with to much time on your hands?[/p][/quote]People like you make me laugh, you make snide remarks about others being all talk, in your first comment just because some dont want to use the library, then you are rude to Gill just because she rembered you posting on the community centre article. Gill is not all talk, she stands by her beliefs which is more than you do, posting on here under a false name telling people to use it or lose it, you cant even put your real name to that so why should others support it. If you want to be rude to Gill at least have courage of your convictions and put your name to it. Rainbow over Helston
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree