Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting PKNEWS to 80360
Strike hits 63 schools in Cornwall as teachers press ahead with action
6:00am Wednesday 26th March 2014 in News
63 schools in Cornwall have so far reported they will be either fully or partially closed as a result of the national teacher strike tomorrow.
(There are 272 schools in Cornwall – 236 primary, 32 secondary and 4 special schools) .
Teachers have vowed to press ahead with a one-day walkout in a bitter row over pay and conditions amid calls to halt the strike because it will disrupt children's education.
Tens of thousands of teachers are expected to take part in tomorrow's action, potentially forcing schools across England and Wales to close to some or all pupils.
The strike, which has been condemned by the Department for Education (DfE) has been called by the National Union of Teachers (NUT) as part of a dispute over changes to pay and working conditions as well as pensions.
Union leaders said that the national walkout was a "last resort" but would be going ahead.
As NUT members prepared to join picket lines, a spokesman for the Prime Minister said that David Cameron would urge them not to strike.
Mr Cameron's official spokesman told a Westminster media briefing: "He would call on them not to strike, because it disrupts children's education and children's families."
NUT deputy general secretary Kevin Courtney said: "It's still going ahead. Striking is our last resort. We have been trying to persuade Michael Gove to change his mind, he is unwilling. Michael Gove's policies are exhausting and demoralising teachers and that's very bad and disruptive for education.
"Thousands of good people are leaving the profession, we are building up to a teacher shortage and our children deserve energetic and enthusiastic teachers not demoralised and exhausted ones."
The schools that will face closures or partial closures are:
- Alverton Primary School (Partial Closure)
- Berrycoombe Primary School ( closed to Year 5. Open to Reception, Years 1,2,3 and 6)
- Biscovey Infant School (closed for Kestrel and Swift classes only)
- Bodmin College
- Bodriggy Academy
- Brannel School (Open to Years 10 and 11. The ARB will also be open)
- Budehaven Community School (closed to Year 7-10. The ARB will be open to all students of all year groups. Years 11-13 should attend as normal. School transport will run as normal. A menu of hot and cold food will be available)
- Callington Primary School
- Camborne Science and International Academy ( will be open for Years 10, 11 and VI Form)
- Camelford Primary School (open for Harlyn, Lundy and Polzeath classes only)
- Carclaze Community Primary School ( Two classes will be closing, one in year 5 and one in Year 6)
- Constantine School (closed to Fal class only)
- Coverack School
- Curnow School ( 2 classes closing)
- Doubletrees School ( 3 classes closed F1, F3 and F4)
- Duloe School
- Falmouth School (open for years 11,12 and 13 only)
- Gunnislake Primary School
- Hayle Community School (open to Years 9,10 and 11 only)
- Helston Community College (closed to Years 7-11. Open to Post 16 students to use study facilities unsupervised and attend lessons taught by their teacher, if not taking action)
- Humphry Davy ( open to Year 10 and 11 only)
- Lanivet School
- Launceston College (Partial Closure)
- Looe Community Academy (Partial Closure)
- Lostwithiel School (Apple class Foundation stage, closed for the morning session, open 1pm-3.15pm. Oak class Year 1 closed all day. Conker class Year 5 and 6 closed all day)
- Manaccan School
- Marlborough School (closed for classes Reception, Year 1 and 5 only)
- Mounts Bay Academy ( closed to Year 7,8,9 and 10 students. Open for Year 11 students who will undertake Masterclasses)
- Nancledrea School (2 classes out of 4 will be closed)
- Nanpean School (open for Hendra and Melbur classes only)
- Nanstallon School
- Newlyn School
- Parc Eglos
- Penryn College (closed to Years 7,8,9,10 students but open to Year 11 students and students selected for help with their literacy. The French Exchange and Health and Social care trip to the Knowledge Spar will continue. Transport is normal and there will be some food available on that day. All school activities are cancelled.
- Pencalenick (open for upper school only)
- Pendeen School
- Penponds School
- Pool Academy (open for year 10 and 11 only)
- Portreath School
- Redruth School (open for year 11 and sixth form only)
- Rosemellin School (2 classes open, 2 closed)
- Sennen School
- Sir James Smiths Community School (open for Year 11 only)
- St Agnes School (classes 2,3,4 and 6 open. Classes 1 and 5 closed)
- St Day and Carharrack Community School
- St Dennis Community Primary School
- St Keverne School
- St Levan
- St Martin-in-Meneage Primary School
- St Marys C of E (VA) School Penzance
- St Mellion
- St Stephens Churchtown CP School
- St Stephens Community Academy ( Main school closed, however ARB will be open)
- St Stephens, Saltash (closed to classes 3 and 8 only)
- Stratton Primary School (Mrs Turvey's Year 2 class closed all day. Year 6 will be closed in the afternoon and parents need to collect their children at 12.30pm)
- Stoke Climsland School (Foundation class, Year 1 and 4 closed for the day, Years 2, 3, 5 and 6 open)
- Tregony Community Primary School (Partial Closure)
- Trevithick Learning Academy ( The following classes are closed: Gingerbreads Year1, Wizards Year 2, Trolls Year 3 and Giants Year 5/6) All other classes should attend as normal.
- Wadebridge School
- Weeth School (Foundation stage 2 closed)
- Wendron School
- Whitemoor Academy
- Whitstone Community Primary School (open for class 3 only)
Comments are closed on this article.