Helston's pavements are the 'best in Britain'. Do you agree?

Falmouth Packet: Helston's pavements are the 'best in Britain'. Do you agree? Helston's pavements are the 'best in Britain'. Do you agree?

The key to Helston’s future could be under our very noses – or feet at least. The town’s pavements have been judged “the best in Britain” by an award winning architect who said more should be made of the “shockingly interesting” granite slabs.

Stephen Witherford was referring in particular to paving stones at the bottom of Coinagehall Street, outside Vision Express and Borlase & Co Solicitors.

These are covered in a curved pattern, almost resembling a series of rainbows. However, it is believed that many more of these paving stones were dug up in years gone by and sold on – with some now forming the steps down the cliff to Kynance.

Mr Witherford’s suggestion was that a long-term initiative could be introduced to reinstated granite pavements in areas where the original paving stones had been lost and replaced with concrete slabs.

He suggested this could be possible to achieve over time by inviting Helston residents to give money to project, with paving stones bearing the names of the subscribers, and/or by piecing together old stones.

Mayor Jonathan Radford-Gaby said: “It would be super if we could bring a scheme forward like that. I would like to see the town looking very much better in terms of its paving. “It’s not a new idea but it’s an example of something that we could do that would make a positive impact.”

It was just one of the ideas raised in a lecture given by Mr Witherford and colleague Arthur Smart, of London-based architects firm Witherford Watson and Mann, in Helston last Wednesday.

The pair had been invited to the town by CAST (the Cornubian Arts & Science Trust) to spend a day in Helston and then speak on how improvements could be made – possibly using the £250,000 pot of cash available to spend in the centre, which forms part of an ongoing consultation with residents and businesses.

Their talk looked at their past projects that Helston could take inspiration from before focusing on some of the aspects they felt could be developed.

Mr Witherford urged those making decisions on the future of Helston to understand its “deep historical nature” and work with what was already there, blending the new with the historic.

He illustrated his talk with plans and aerial photographs, showing the development of Helston from the 1780s to the present day, before pointing that in any town – not just Helston – the centre tended to get “eroded and dishevelled” as development occurred on the edges. He warned this process would continue in Helston, especially with plans for a 400 new homes, and the challenge was to link the two.

Other advice included improving the approaches from the car parks through the opes and alleyways, possibly through planting.

When questioned about the issue of pedestrianisation, he used Woolwich in London as an example where a pedestrianisation scheme was produced quickly, on a very limited budget and with poor materials, which resulted in an area that deteriorated quickly until it was much worse than what had existed before – but he also suggested that closing the streets to traffic intermittently, as is already done on Flora Day, might be a possibility.

He pointed to the junction of the Meneage Street and Coinagehall Street, the area in front of the Guildhall, as one that could be improved, and noted that the railings at the corner of Meneage Street and Wendron Street were out of keeping.

A follow up meeting is now planned for this month and anyone interested in taking part should email info@c-a-s-t.org.uk The lecture was organised in association with the South Kerrier Heritage Trust that now manages Helston Museum, South Kerrier Alliance, the Helston branch of the Old Cornwall Society, Helston History Group and Falmouth University, and was attended by more than 100 people including councillors, business owners and community organisations.

Comments (38)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:30am Wed 2 Apr 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

I think the historic elements and architecture in Helston should be preserved wherever possible, if financially viable, with due consideration to those with disabilities including visual impairment.
I think the historic elements and architecture in Helston should be preserved wherever possible, if financially viable, with due consideration to those with disabilities including visual impairment. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 3

12:07pm Wed 2 Apr 14

meerkats says...

Rainbow over Helston a regular commenter and now we have rainbow shapes under our feet !! lol. I do think the pavement s mentioned look good and as Gill has already said if its financiallly viable then the history and architecture should be preserved. I agree about the railings mentioned and think they would like nice in black wrought iron , and maybe could incorporate something to do with Flora Day in the design as its close to the Guildhall,
Rainbow over Helston a regular commenter and now we have rainbow shapes under our feet !! lol. I do think the pavement s mentioned look good and as Gill has already said if its financiallly viable then the history and architecture should be preserved. I agree about the railings mentioned and think they would like nice in black wrought iron , and maybe could incorporate something to do with Flora Day in the design as its close to the Guildhall, meerkats
  • Score: -4

12:22pm Wed 2 Apr 14

Rainbow over Helston says...

Hang on, they need people from London to give them ideas, so why are they paying a regeneration officer Mr Searle? Or is this the build up to wanting Helston council to invest in CAST? Dont think many people will think 250,000 should be spent on pavements, and as for asking residents to pay lol thats a joke after having 800,000 originally. Put their names on the pavement, that will look a mess. The council has lost the plot i think.
Hang on, they need people from London to give them ideas, so why are they paying a regeneration officer Mr Searle? Or is this the build up to wanting Helston council to invest in CAST? Dont think many people will think 250,000 should be spent on pavements, and as for asking residents to pay lol thats a joke after having 800,000 originally. Put their names on the pavement, that will look a mess. The council has lost the plot i think. Rainbow over Helston
  • Score: 14

2:17pm Wed 2 Apr 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

Oh look, all those organisations that telstar previously mentioned.

Is Mr Searle going for the Guinness book of records for how many meetings they can hold before they actually do anything?

Is a bit farcical suggesting the public pay towards paving slabs.
Oh look, all those organisations that telstar previously mentioned. Is Mr Searle going for the Guinness book of records for how many meetings they can hold before they actually do anything? Is a bit farcical suggesting the public pay towards paving slabs. Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: 11

3:09pm Wed 2 Apr 14

telstar1962 says...

That's right, Hfolw

History can teach us all valuable lessons for the future

I cannot see a reason to criticize this initiative, and as far as I am concerned it was a Public Lecture held in the College, and not a Town Council meeting in the building which is so hard to get to !
That's right, Hfolw History can teach us all valuable lessons for the future I cannot see a reason to criticize this initiative, and as far as I am concerned it was a Public Lecture held in the College, and not a Town Council meeting in the building which is so hard to get to ! telstar1962
  • Score: -40

4:17pm Wed 2 Apr 14

meerkats says...

In a space of a few minutes both Gill's and my comment received a lot of thumbs down, either a lot of people read them and i am talking a matter of minutes or its the same person thumbing down. If it is the latter he/she must have a lot of time on their hands did they even read the comments or just thumb down because of the names hope they dont suffer from RSI in the future .
In a space of a few minutes both Gill's and my comment received a lot of thumbs down, either a lot of people read them and i am talking a matter of minutes or its the same person thumbing down. If it is the latter he/she must have a lot of time on their hands did they even read the comments or just thumb down because of the names hope they dont suffer from RSI in the future . meerkats
  • Score: 18

5:51pm Wed 2 Apr 14

Rainbow over Helston says...

Well its not me, by coincidence i watched the same thing happen with thumbs up on a comment placed by Ian Bennetts on the Falmouth police officer article. The thumbs up were risen in seconds.
Well its not me, by coincidence i watched the same thing happen with thumbs up on a comment placed by Ian Bennetts on the Falmouth police officer article. The thumbs up were risen in seconds. Rainbow over Helston
  • Score: 14

6:14pm Wed 2 Apr 14

meerkats says...

Rainbow over Helston wrote:
Well its not me, by coincidence i watched the same thing happen with thumbs up on a comment placed by Ian Bennetts on the Falmouth police officer article. The thumbs up were risen in seconds.
I didnt think or say for a minute it was you . i would like to know why these or that person thumbed my comment down , but i doubt if they will reply
[quote][p][bold]Rainbow over Helston[/bold] wrote: Well its not me, by coincidence i watched the same thing happen with thumbs up on a comment placed by Ian Bennetts on the Falmouth police officer article. The thumbs up were risen in seconds.[/p][/quote]I didnt think or say for a minute it was you . i would like to know why these or that person thumbed my comment down , but i doubt if they will reply meerkats
  • Score: 12

6:36pm Wed 2 Apr 14

Rainbow over Helston says...

I saw Rons comments score rise up like in the past.
This website is a joke, think ill stick to the Scottish one.
Good luck with the wonky pavement to match the wonky benches.
I saw Rons comments score rise up like in the past. This website is a joke, think ill stick to the Scottish one. Good luck with the wonky pavement to match the wonky benches. Rainbow over Helston
  • Score: 10

7:03pm Wed 2 Apr 14

miss perfect says...

all helstons wonky
all helstons wonky miss perfect
  • Score: -10

10:03pm Wed 2 Apr 14

Helston Observer says...

When you read the original article and then read some of the comments on context, there are some real comedians that comment on here, I conclude. For starters, Mr Searle, as I understand it, is not a specialist townscape architect, but employed as a regeneration officer. Ans as far as Miss Perfect's comment goes, if that's the best you can do, then best not try.

All the naysayers and negatives would do well to look at some other towns and then compare to ours - we have very few empty shops, by comparison to many other places, and lots to commend our lovely old town.

The 800k you mention was given to the town mostly for the town centre management project, and would have gone to another town had HTC not agreed to spend it that way.

I just hope that the balance of the money (for real physical improvements, about 260k I am told) which I think it what is under discussion now, is not wasted on lots of consultants and pointless consultations, and is instead spent wisely making the town an even more attractive environment.
When you read the original article and then read some of the comments on context, there are some real comedians that comment on here, I conclude. For starters, Mr Searle, as I understand it, is not a specialist townscape architect, but employed as a regeneration officer. Ans as far as Miss Perfect's comment goes, if that's the best you can do, then best not try. All the naysayers and negatives would do well to look at some other towns and then compare to ours - we have very few empty shops, by comparison to many other places, and lots to commend our lovely old town. The 800k you mention was given to the town mostly for the town centre management project, and would have gone to another town had HTC not agreed to spend it that way. I just hope that the balance of the money (for real physical improvements, about 260k I am told) which I think it what is under discussion now, is not wasted on lots of consultants and pointless consultations, and is instead spent wisely making the town an even more attractive environment. Helston Observer
  • Score: 13

11:05pm Wed 2 Apr 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

Helston Observer wrote:
When you read the original article and then read some of the comments on context, there are some real comedians that comment on here, I conclude. For starters, Mr Searle, as I understand it, is not a specialist townscape architect, but employed as a regeneration officer. Ans as far as Miss Perfect's comment goes, if that's the best you can do, then best not try.

All the naysayers and negatives would do well to look at some other towns and then compare to ours - we have very few empty shops, by comparison to many other places, and lots to commend our lovely old town.

The 800k you mention was given to the town mostly for the town centre management project, and would have gone to another town had HTC not agreed to spend it that way.

I just hope that the balance of the money (for real physical improvements, about 260k I am told) which I think it what is under discussion now, is not wasted on lots of consultants and pointless consultations, and is instead spent wisely making the town an even more attractive environment.
Just to clarify my first post regarding context with the article, I not only believe that existing historic elements such as the paving, kennels and architecturally important buildings should be preserved wherever possible and financially viable, but additionally that I believe to reinstall granite paving as suggested would enhance the overall appearance of the town and pay tribute to its character.

However, I personally believe Mr Searles proposal to commission design professionals just to provide visual material for any plans in order for the community to see, would be an unnecessary expense, I feel sure engaging with the public/Helston Community College for help in that department would prove a cheaper option, but feel neither is really necessary.
[quote][p][bold]Helston Observer[/bold] wrote: When you read the original article and then read some of the comments on context, there are some real comedians that comment on here, I conclude. For starters, Mr Searle, as I understand it, is not a specialist townscape architect, but employed as a regeneration officer. Ans as far as Miss Perfect's comment goes, if that's the best you can do, then best not try. All the naysayers and negatives would do well to look at some other towns and then compare to ours - we have very few empty shops, by comparison to many other places, and lots to commend our lovely old town. The 800k you mention was given to the town mostly for the town centre management project, and would have gone to another town had HTC not agreed to spend it that way. I just hope that the balance of the money (for real physical improvements, about 260k I am told) which I think it what is under discussion now, is not wasted on lots of consultants and pointless consultations, and is instead spent wisely making the town an even more attractive environment.[/p][/quote]Just to clarify my first post regarding context with the article, I not only believe that existing historic elements such as the paving, kennels and architecturally important buildings should be preserved wherever possible and financially viable, but additionally that I believe to reinstall granite paving as suggested would enhance the overall appearance of the town and pay tribute to its character. However, I personally believe Mr Searles proposal to commission design professionals just to provide visual material for any plans in order for the community to see, would be an unnecessary expense, I feel sure engaging with the public/Helston Community College for help in that department would prove a cheaper option, but feel neither is really necessary. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 24

11:30pm Wed 2 Apr 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

meerkats wrote:
In a space of a few minutes both Gill's and my comment received a lot of thumbs down, either a lot of people read them and i am talking a matter of minutes or its the same person thumbing down. If it is the latter he/she must have a lot of time on their hands did they even read the comments or just thumb down because of the names hope they dont suffer from RSI in the future .
Don't worry about the scoring meerkats, I receive negativity for every positive comment I make on Helston. Helston is a fantastic town and I will continue to stand by my beliefs when commenting and will continue to patronise Helston on a very regular basis. I appreciate all the work the Town Council and the HBIP are doing.
[quote][p][bold]meerkats[/bold] wrote: In a space of a few minutes both Gill's and my comment received a lot of thumbs down, either a lot of people read them and i am talking a matter of minutes or its the same person thumbing down. If it is the latter he/she must have a lot of time on their hands did they even read the comments or just thumb down because of the names hope they dont suffer from RSI in the future .[/p][/quote]Don't worry about the scoring meerkats, I receive negativity for every positive comment I make on Helston. Helston is a fantastic town and I will continue to stand by my beliefs when commenting and will continue to patronise Helston on a very regular basis. I appreciate all the work the Town Council and the HBIP are doing. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 22

9:01am Thu 3 Apr 14

Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe says...

Those pavements are so fine, people should be banned from walking on them. Perhaps they could be taken up and put in a pavement museum and people charged a pound and a half just to see them.
Those pavements are so fine, people should be banned from walking on them. Perhaps they could be taken up and put in a pavement museum and people charged a pound and a half just to see them. Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe
  • Score: 11

12:44pm Thu 3 Apr 14

DCI Jen says...

Gill, can you be more specific in future and make sure your comment is in context with the article. Helston observer is correct, most of the comments are not in context.

I think it would be a jolly good idea to replace the granite paving, perhaps someone could nip down to Kynance Cove and retrieve the granite from Helston that was taken and used there.

I think anything like the proposed idea is brilliant, it will help restore Helston to its former glory, take the Victorian village for example at Flambards, people love it because it is dated. Just a shame they couldn't have had benches more in keeping, still, I suppose it works mixing modern with old, and I am sure Cllr Wallis will be the first to pay to have his name on a paving stone.

Keep up the good work Helston Council you really are doing a fine job and for anyone that doesn't think so maybe they should stand for council themselves, if they think they can do a better job.

As for miss Three Word Wonder perfect, I think he needs to get his split personality sorted out and go play with the toys at Goonhilly or something.
Gill, can you be more specific in future and make sure your comment is in context with the article. Helston observer is correct, most of the comments are not in context. I think it would be a jolly good idea to replace the granite paving, perhaps someone could nip down to Kynance Cove and retrieve the granite from Helston that was taken and used there. I think anything like the proposed idea is brilliant, it will help restore Helston to its former glory, take the Victorian village for example at Flambards, people love it because it is dated. Just a shame they couldn't have had benches more in keeping, still, I suppose it works mixing modern with old, and I am sure Cllr Wallis will be the first to pay to have his name on a paving stone. Keep up the good work Helston Council you really are doing a fine job and for anyone that doesn't think so maybe they should stand for council themselves, if they think they can do a better job. As for miss Three Word Wonder perfect, I think he needs to get his split personality sorted out and go play with the toys at Goonhilly or something. DCI Jen
  • Score: 15

6:51pm Thu 3 Apr 14

ronedgcumbe says...

Positive people, perfect pavements.
Positive people, perfect pavements. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: -16

7:18pm Thu 3 Apr 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Positive people, perfect pavements.
So what do actually think of the idea then Ron?
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: Positive people, perfect pavements.[/p][/quote]So what do actually think of the idea then Ron? Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: 6

8:39pm Thu 3 Apr 14

ronedgcumbe says...

I think there are some good ideas for the town centre raised here and some of the items raised specifically on pedestrianisation and the awfully railings are good. Sounds to me like a worthwhile meeting.
However spending valuable 106 money on paving slabs would I think prove very unpopular and the very idea of sponsoring a slab is frankly ridiculous.
I think there are some good ideas for the town centre raised here and some of the items raised specifically on pedestrianisation and the awfully railings are good. Sounds to me like a worthwhile meeting. However spending valuable 106 money on paving slabs would I think prove very unpopular and the very idea of sponsoring a slab is frankly ridiculous. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: -18

8:49pm Thu 3 Apr 14

ronedgcumbe says...

Helston Observer wrote:
When you read the original article and then read some of the comments on context, there are some real comedians that comment on here, I conclude. For starters, Mr Searle, as I understand it, is not a specialist townscape architect, but employed as a regeneration officer. Ans as far as Miss Perfect's comment goes, if that's the best you can do, then best not try.

All the naysayers and negatives would do well to look at some other towns and then compare to ours - we have very few empty shops, by comparison to many other places, and lots to commend our lovely old town.

The 800k you mention was given to the town mostly for the town centre management project, and would have gone to another town had HTC not agreed to spend it that way.

I just hope that the balance of the money (for real physical improvements, about 260k I am told) which I think it what is under discussion now, is not wasted on lots of consultants and pointless consultations, and is instead spent wisely making the town an even more attractive environment.
Why so rude. Anyone who disagrees is a naysayer. Please respect others opinions as yours are clearly distorted and one sided.
[quote][p][bold]Helston Observer[/bold] wrote: When you read the original article and then read some of the comments on context, there are some real comedians that comment on here, I conclude. For starters, Mr Searle, as I understand it, is not a specialist townscape architect, but employed as a regeneration officer. Ans as far as Miss Perfect's comment goes, if that's the best you can do, then best not try. All the naysayers and negatives would do well to look at some other towns and then compare to ours - we have very few empty shops, by comparison to many other places, and lots to commend our lovely old town. The 800k you mention was given to the town mostly for the town centre management project, and would have gone to another town had HTC not agreed to spend it that way. I just hope that the balance of the money (for real physical improvements, about 260k I am told) which I think it what is under discussion now, is not wasted on lots of consultants and pointless consultations, and is instead spent wisely making the town an even more attractive environment.[/p][/quote]Why so rude. Anyone who disagrees is a naysayer. Please respect others opinions as yours are clearly distorted and one sided. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: -14

9:10pm Thu 3 Apr 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Helston Observer wrote:
When you read the original article and then read some of the comments on context, there are some real comedians that comment on here, I conclude. For starters, Mr Searle, as I understand it, is not a specialist townscape architect, but employed as a regeneration officer. Ans as far as Miss Perfect's comment goes, if that's the best you can do, then best not try.

All the naysayers and negatives would do well to look at some other towns and then compare to ours - we have very few empty shops, by comparison to many other places, and lots to commend our lovely old town.

The 800k you mention was given to the town mostly for the town centre management project, and would have gone to another town had HTC not agreed to spend it that way.

I just hope that the balance of the money (for real physical improvements, about 260k I am told) which I think it what is under discussion now, is not wasted on lots of consultants and pointless consultations, and is instead spent wisely making the town an even more attractive environment.
Why so rude. Anyone who disagrees is a naysayer. Please respect others opinions as yours are clearly distorted and one sided.
Ron, I think Helston Observers comment is justified, Rainbow Over Helston says she thinks the council has lost the plot, that in my view is rude and not a justified comment. Some of the comments are not relevant to the article. Whilst I understand we should respect each other's comments, you cannot expect people to respect rude insults such as Rainbow makes. miss perfect also has a track record of being rude, and leaving irrelevant comments. I speak from personal experience as I was insulted frequently on here by miss perfect. Helston Observer in my opinion therefore has every right to choose to call others naysayers in the same way you have chosen to make derogatory remarks in the past or anyone else does.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helston Observer[/bold] wrote: When you read the original article and then read some of the comments on context, there are some real comedians that comment on here, I conclude. For starters, Mr Searle, as I understand it, is not a specialist townscape architect, but employed as a regeneration officer. Ans as far as Miss Perfect's comment goes, if that's the best you can do, then best not try. All the naysayers and negatives would do well to look at some other towns and then compare to ours - we have very few empty shops, by comparison to many other places, and lots to commend our lovely old town. The 800k you mention was given to the town mostly for the town centre management project, and would have gone to another town had HTC not agreed to spend it that way. I just hope that the balance of the money (for real physical improvements, about 260k I am told) which I think it what is under discussion now, is not wasted on lots of consultants and pointless consultations, and is instead spent wisely making the town an even more attractive environment.[/p][/quote]Why so rude. Anyone who disagrees is a naysayer. Please respect others opinions as yours are clearly distorted and one sided.[/p][/quote]Ron, I think Helston Observers comment is justified, Rainbow Over Helston says she thinks the council has lost the plot, that in my view is rude and not a justified comment. Some of the comments are not relevant to the article. Whilst I understand we should respect each other's comments, you cannot expect people to respect rude insults such as Rainbow makes. miss perfect also has a track record of being rude, and leaving irrelevant comments. I speak from personal experience as I was insulted frequently on here by miss perfect. Helston Observer in my opinion therefore has every right to choose to call others naysayers in the same way you have chosen to make derogatory remarks in the past or anyone else does. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 18

9:22pm Thu 3 Apr 14

DCI Jen says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Helston Observer wrote:
When you read the original article and then read some of the comments on context, there are some real comedians that comment on here, I conclude. For starters, Mr Searle, as I understand it, is not a specialist townscape architect, but employed as a regeneration officer. Ans as far as Miss Perfect's comment goes, if that's the best you can do, then best not try.

All the naysayers and negatives would do well to look at some other towns and then compare to ours - we have very few empty shops, by comparison to many other places, and lots to commend our lovely old town.

The 800k you mention was given to the town mostly for the town centre management project, and would have gone to another town had HTC not agreed to spend it that way.

I just hope that the balance of the money (for real physical improvements, about 260k I am told) which I think it what is under discussion now, is not wasted on lots of consultants and pointless consultations, and is instead spent wisely making the town an even more attractive environment.
Why so rude. Anyone who disagrees is a naysayer. Please respect others opinions as yours are clearly distorted and one sided.
Ron, is that not hypocritical? to accuse Helston Observer of being rude and then saying yourself that their opinions are clearly distorted and one sided. I think you forgot to say ' in your opinion'.

I think any improvement to Helston will be an advantage, not every town got this money.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helston Observer[/bold] wrote: When you read the original article and then read some of the comments on context, there are some real comedians that comment on here, I conclude. For starters, Mr Searle, as I understand it, is not a specialist townscape architect, but employed as a regeneration officer. Ans as far as Miss Perfect's comment goes, if that's the best you can do, then best not try. All the naysayers and negatives would do well to look at some other towns and then compare to ours - we have very few empty shops, by comparison to many other places, and lots to commend our lovely old town. The 800k you mention was given to the town mostly for the town centre management project, and would have gone to another town had HTC not agreed to spend it that way. I just hope that the balance of the money (for real physical improvements, about 260k I am told) which I think it what is under discussion now, is not wasted on lots of consultants and pointless consultations, and is instead spent wisely making the town an even more attractive environment.[/p][/quote]Why so rude. Anyone who disagrees is a naysayer. Please respect others opinions as yours are clearly distorted and one sided.[/p][/quote]Ron, is that not hypocritical? to accuse Helston Observer of being rude and then saying yourself that their opinions are clearly distorted and one sided. I think you forgot to say ' in your opinion'. I think any improvement to Helston will be an advantage, not every town got this money. DCI Jen
  • Score: 16

9:30pm Thu 3 Apr 14

ronedgcumbe says...

Sorry I forgot to say "in my opinion".
Sorry I forgot to say "in my opinion". ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 2

9:39pm Thu 3 Apr 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
I think there are some good ideas for the town centre raised here and some of the items raised specifically on pedestrianisation and the awfully railings are good. Sounds to me like a worthwhile meeting.
However spending valuable 106 money on paving slabs would I think prove very unpopular and the very idea of sponsoring a slab is frankly ridiculous.
I must be ridiculous then, because I would sponsor one, providing they were a reasonable price. I would sponsor anything that I can afford, if the end justified the means.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: I think there are some good ideas for the town centre raised here and some of the items raised specifically on pedestrianisation and the awfully railings are good. Sounds to me like a worthwhile meeting. However spending valuable 106 money on paving slabs would I think prove very unpopular and the very idea of sponsoring a slab is frankly ridiculous.[/p][/quote]I must be ridiculous then, because I would sponsor one, providing they were a reasonable price. I would sponsor anything that I can afford, if the end justified the means. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 10

10:08pm Thu 3 Apr 14

ronedgcumbe says...

Gillian R.Z. Martin wrote:
ronedgcumbe wrote:
I think there are some good ideas for the town centre raised here and some of the items raised specifically on pedestrianisation and the awfully railings are good. Sounds to me like a worthwhile meeting.
However spending valuable 106 money on paving slabs would I think prove very unpopular and the very idea of sponsoring a slab is frankly ridiculous.
I must be ridiculous then, because I would sponsor one, providing they were a reasonable price. I would sponsor anything that I can afford, if the end justified the means.
Good for you Gill what anyone chooses to support with there own money is of course entirely up to them. I can however think of much more worthy courses in these for some desperate times to donate to.
[quote][p][bold]Gillian R.Z. Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: I think there are some good ideas for the town centre raised here and some of the items raised specifically on pedestrianisation and the awfully railings are good. Sounds to me like a worthwhile meeting. However spending valuable 106 money on paving slabs would I think prove very unpopular and the very idea of sponsoring a slab is frankly ridiculous.[/p][/quote]I must be ridiculous then, because I would sponsor one, providing they were a reasonable price. I would sponsor anything that I can afford, if the end justified the means.[/p][/quote]Good for you Gill what anyone chooses to support with there own money is of course entirely up to them. I can however think of much more worthy courses in these for some desperate times to donate to. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: -14

12:18am Fri 4 Apr 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Gillian R.Z. Martin wrote:
ronedgcumbe wrote:
I think there are some good ideas for the town centre raised here and some of the items raised specifically on pedestrianisation and the awfully railings are good. Sounds to me like a worthwhile meeting.
However spending valuable 106 money on paving slabs would I think prove very unpopular and the very idea of sponsoring a slab is frankly ridiculous.
I must be ridiculous then, because I would sponsor one, providing they were a reasonable price. I would sponsor anything that I can afford, if the end justified the means.
Good for you Gill what anyone chooses to support with there own money is of course entirely up to them. I can however think of much more worthy courses in these for some desperate times to donate to.
I have seen a similar project with bricks, in the past, for a theatre, which came to fruition. In fact it is maybe something in variation that the Epworth Hall could consider for disability access and improvements. Choosing to sponsor something small like a paving stone etc does not prevent one from sponsoring other worthy causes.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gillian R.Z. Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: I think there are some good ideas for the town centre raised here and some of the items raised specifically on pedestrianisation and the awfully railings are good. Sounds to me like a worthwhile meeting. However spending valuable 106 money on paving slabs would I think prove very unpopular and the very idea of sponsoring a slab is frankly ridiculous.[/p][/quote]I must be ridiculous then, because I would sponsor one, providing they were a reasonable price. I would sponsor anything that I can afford, if the end justified the means.[/p][/quote]Good for you Gill what anyone chooses to support with there own money is of course entirely up to them. I can however think of much more worthy courses in these for some desperate times to donate to.[/p][/quote]I have seen a similar project with bricks, in the past, for a theatre, which came to fruition. In fact it is maybe something in variation that the Epworth Hall could consider for disability access and improvements. Choosing to sponsor something small like a paving stone etc does not prevent one from sponsoring other worthy causes. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 11

9:09am Fri 4 Apr 14

DCI Jen says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Gillian R.Z. Martin wrote:
ronedgcumbe wrote:
I think there are some good ideas for the town centre raised here and some of the items raised specifically on pedestrianisation and the awfully railings are good. Sounds to me like a worthwhile meeting.
However spending valuable 106 money on paving slabs would I think prove very unpopular and the very idea of sponsoring a slab is frankly ridiculous.
I must be ridiculous then, because I would sponsor one, providing they were a reasonable price. I would sponsor anything that I can afford, if the end justified the means.
Good for you Gill what anyone chooses to support with there own money is of course entirely up to them. I can however think of much more worthy courses in these for some desperate times to donate to.
Ron I think you are so far off the mark.

Isn't what you're saying a bit like saying don't buy a paving stone for yourself for your garden or the street because you should be giving the money to better and worthy causes? When in fact you could be buying a paving stone or whatever and still supporting worthy causes. Why is making Helston a better town not a worthy cause anyway?
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gillian R.Z. Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: I think there are some good ideas for the town centre raised here and some of the items raised specifically on pedestrianisation and the awfully railings are good. Sounds to me like a worthwhile meeting. However spending valuable 106 money on paving slabs would I think prove very unpopular and the very idea of sponsoring a slab is frankly ridiculous.[/p][/quote]I must be ridiculous then, because I would sponsor one, providing they were a reasonable price. I would sponsor anything that I can afford, if the end justified the means.[/p][/quote]Good for you Gill what anyone chooses to support with there own money is of course entirely up to them. I can however think of much more worthy courses in these for some desperate times to donate to.[/p][/quote]Ron I think you are so far off the mark. Isn't what you're saying a bit like saying don't buy a paving stone for yourself for your garden or the street because you should be giving the money to better and worthy causes? When in fact you could be buying a paving stone or whatever and still supporting worthy causes. Why is making Helston a better town not a worthy cause anyway? DCI Jen
  • Score: 11

9:25am Fri 4 Apr 14

ronedgcumbe says...

Never said that. I said I can think of more worthy causes.
There are people having to rely upon food banks to live for instance.
Never said that. I said I can think of more worthy causes. There are people having to rely upon food banks to live for instance. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: -4

9:46am Fri 4 Apr 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Never said that. I said I can think of more worthy causes.
There are people having to rely upon food banks to live for instance.
I support the food bank! Sponsoring a paving stone would not prevent me supporting the food bank to the same degree I do currently.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: Never said that. I said I can think of more worthy causes. There are people having to rely upon food banks to live for instance.[/p][/quote]I support the food bank! Sponsoring a paving stone would not prevent me supporting the food bank to the same degree I do currently. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 9

9:52am Fri 4 Apr 14

ronedgcumbe says...

It is up to the individual as to what courses they support of and making the town centre more attractive is certainly and excellent course.
It is up to the individual as to what courses they support of and making the town centre more attractive is certainly and excellent course. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: -4

9:57am Fri 4 Apr 14

ronedgcumbe says...

If people actually do wish to sponsor a slab then good for them. I personally if I had spare cash would donate to a local charity
If people actually do wish to sponsor a slab then good for them. I personally if I had spare cash would donate to a local charity ronedgcumbe
  • Score: -1

9:57am Fri 4 Apr 14

DCI Jen says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Never said that. I said I can think of more worthy causes.
There are people having to rely upon food banks to live for instance.
I didn't say you said anything, I just asked you questions, that's why they had question marks behind them.
It is a matter of opinion what's a worthy cause and just because Gill said she would sponsor a paving stone doesn't mean it would be detrimental to any other worthy cause.
It seems to me whatever anyone does for Helston it would be wrong according to you, and yes that is just my opinion.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: Never said that. I said I can think of more worthy causes. There are people having to rely upon food banks to live for instance.[/p][/quote]I didn't say you said anything, I just asked you questions, that's why they had question marks behind them. It is a matter of opinion what's a worthy cause and just because Gill said she would sponsor a paving stone doesn't mean it would be detrimental to any other worthy cause. It seems to me whatever anyone does for Helston it would be wrong according to you, and yes that is just my opinion. DCI Jen
  • Score: 10

10:05am Fri 4 Apr 14

DCI Jen says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
It is up to the individual as to what courses they support of and making the town centre more attractive is certainly and excellent course.
You said in a previous post that sponsoring a slab was "frankly ridiculous" a tad contradictory it would seem, in my opinion.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: It is up to the individual as to what courses they support of and making the town centre more attractive is certainly and excellent course.[/p][/quote]You said in a previous post that sponsoring a slab was "frankly ridiculous" a tad contradictory it would seem, in my opinion. DCI Jen
  • Score: 11

10:53am Fri 4 Apr 14

ronedgcumbe says...

Yes I see your point. The concept to me is ridiculous but if Gill is so interested in sponsoring a slab I respect her decision and anyone who else who wishes to do so.
I remember Disney have a similar scheme in Florida.
Yes I see your point. The concept to me is ridiculous but if Gill is so interested in sponsoring a slab I respect her decision and anyone who else who wishes to do so. I remember Disney have a similar scheme in Florida. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 5

7:55pm Fri 4 Apr 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Yes I see your point. The concept to me is ridiculous but if Gill is so interested in sponsoring a slab I respect her decision and anyone who else who wishes to do so.
I remember Disney have a similar scheme in Florida.
"If Gill is so interested in sponsoring a slab"

Lol, I find that really funny, to me, you have managed to make it sound like it has been a lifelong ambition of mine to sponsor a slab, and that I would be thrilled to bits with the idea lol, Sorry, just my sense of humour.

I just think the concept is good, I have seen many places that have embraced this idea, (Bricks not paving stones). I agree the timing is not great to ask the public for money, when most people are aware of the Section 106 money available, I am however just expressing an interest in the sponsor of one should they go ahead with the scheme, simply because I am prepared to support Helston in any possible way I can. I additionally think it would enhance the look of the town. Of course they could opt for a cheaper alternative and use replica printed out paving such as they used in Mullion.
Whatever they decide to do, I just hope it is not any more consultation meetings.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: Yes I see your point. The concept to me is ridiculous but if Gill is so interested in sponsoring a slab I respect her decision and anyone who else who wishes to do so. I remember Disney have a similar scheme in Florida.[/p][/quote]"If Gill is so interested in sponsoring a slab" Lol, I find that really funny, to me, you have managed to make it sound like it has been a lifelong ambition of mine to sponsor a slab, and that I would be thrilled to bits with the idea lol, Sorry, just my sense of humour. I just think the concept is good, I have seen many places that have embraced this idea, (Bricks not paving stones). I agree the timing is not great to ask the public for money, when most people are aware of the Section 106 money available, I am however just expressing an interest in the sponsor of one should they go ahead with the scheme, simply because I am prepared to support Helston in any possible way I can. I additionally think it would enhance the look of the town. Of course they could opt for a cheaper alternative and use replica printed out paving such as they used in Mullion. Whatever they decide to do, I just hope it is not any more consultation meetings. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 11

8:04pm Fri 4 Apr 14

ronedgcumbe says...

Glad you got it. You took so long to reply I thought maybe you thought I was serious.
Glad you got it. You took so long to reply I thought maybe you thought I was serious. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 2

8:14pm Fri 4 Apr 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Glad you got it. You took so long to reply I thought maybe you thought I was serious.
I've been busy in Porthleven all day. Got my phone credit while I was there in the Post Office :)
They have some nice paving in Porthleven in Fore Street!!!
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: Glad you got it. You took so long to reply I thought maybe you thought I was serious.[/p][/quote]I've been busy in Porthleven all day. Got my phone credit while I was there in the Post Office :) They have some nice paving in Porthleven in Fore Street!!! Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 10

8:38pm Fri 4 Apr 14

ronedgcumbe says...

I have had a lovely day in St Ives a beautiful place but now really know for its slabs.
I have had a lovely day in St Ives a beautiful place but now really know for its slabs. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 3

9:11pm Fri 4 Apr 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

Gillian R.Z. Martin wrote:
ronedgcumbe wrote:
Yes I see your point. The concept to me is ridiculous but if Gill is so interested in sponsoring a slab I respect her decision and anyone who else who wishes to do so.
I remember Disney have a similar scheme in Florida.
"If Gill is so interested in sponsoring a slab"

Lol, I find that really funny, to me, you have managed to make it sound like it has been a lifelong ambition of mine to sponsor a slab, and that I would be thrilled to bits with the idea lol, Sorry, just my sense of humour.

I just think the concept is good, I have seen many places that have embraced this idea, (Bricks not paving stones). I agree the timing is not great to ask the public for money, when most people are aware of the Section 106 money available, I am however just expressing an interest in the sponsor of one should they go ahead with the scheme, simply because I am prepared to support Helston in any possible way I can. I additionally think it would enhance the look of the town. Of course they could opt for a cheaper alternative and use replica printed out paving such as they used in Mullion.
Whatever they decide to do, I just hope it is not any more consultation meetings.
This post should have said, I am however just expressing an interest in the 'sponsoring' of one, should they go ahead with the scheme.

What I had written, "I am however expressing an interest in the 'sponsor' of one, means that I would be actually expressing an interest in someone else who had sponsored one!
[quote][p][bold]Gillian R.Z. Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: Yes I see your point. The concept to me is ridiculous but if Gill is so interested in sponsoring a slab I respect her decision and anyone who else who wishes to do so. I remember Disney have a similar scheme in Florida.[/p][/quote]"If Gill is so interested in sponsoring a slab" Lol, I find that really funny, to me, you have managed to make it sound like it has been a lifelong ambition of mine to sponsor a slab, and that I would be thrilled to bits with the idea lol, Sorry, just my sense of humour. I just think the concept is good, I have seen many places that have embraced this idea, (Bricks not paving stones). I agree the timing is not great to ask the public for money, when most people are aware of the Section 106 money available, I am however just expressing an interest in the sponsor of one should they go ahead with the scheme, simply because I am prepared to support Helston in any possible way I can. I additionally think it would enhance the look of the town. Of course they could opt for a cheaper alternative and use replica printed out paving such as they used in Mullion. Whatever they decide to do, I just hope it is not any more consultation meetings.[/p][/quote]This post should have said, I am however just expressing an interest in the 'sponsoring' of one, should they go ahead with the scheme. What I had written, "I am however expressing an interest in the 'sponsor' of one, means that I would be actually expressing an interest in someone else who had sponsored one! Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 9

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree