Porthleven's 'rudest' pensioner banned from picking up her pension

Falmouth Packet: Porthleven's 'rudest' pensioner banned from picking up her pension Porthleven's 'rudest' pensioner banned from picking up her pension

A war of words has broken out in Porthleven, leaving a 70-year-old woman unable to collect her pension - because she has been banned from entering the post office.

Staff are refusing to serve Elizabeth Smith from Tregunna Close, claiming she is “the rudest woman we have ever come across.”

In response, Mrs Smith is alleging that the post office and stores on Fore Street “conned” her out of £10 and she will now be forced to pay a taxi to take her to Helston's post office each week.

As a result she has been left feeling like a second class citizen.

Mrs Smith said: “I was told I must not walk across the floor from the door to the post office counter as I'm 'trespassing'. I'm barred from the shop.

“They said, 'If you don't get out we'll call the police'. I'm 70, with a stick and a dodgy ticker - I wouldn't take a lot of evicting would I?”

The situation escalated from an incident that took place two weeks ago, when Mrs Smith asked staff to take £10 from that week's pension to top up the credit on her mobile telephone.

However, after getting home she found the transaction had failed to register and the money had not been added.

Returning to the shop she asked for the £10 back, which staff refused to pay saying it was a problem with her phone company.

She also contacted the company, who have since added not just the £10 credit but doubled it - but Mrs Smith feels this was merely a “good will gesture” and she should still have had the money returned by Porthleven Post Office.

Mrs Smith acknowledges that she did start shouting, saying: “I did get a bit cross I must admit. The following week I went in to get my pension in the normal way and the postmaster started shouting at me.

“All this over £10 - it's ridiculous.”

However, postmaster Paul Edwards said his staff no longer wanted Mrs Smith “abusing them”, adding: “She is very, very rude woman. She comes in and shouts and abuses my staff and they don't need it.

“She's the sort of woman you can't reason with. I don't want her in the store upsetting the staff. I'm afraid it's gone on too long.”

Mr Edwards claimed the whole situation had broken out over a “misunderstanding” by Mrs Smith over why her phone was not registering the credit, saying the mobile phone provider had been affected by delays.

“They instructed us themselves not to reissue another voucher, as they would sort it themselves. Yet she's still abusive and saying we've 'conned her',” he added.

“She is in the store shouting and pointing fingers, making accusations. I'm doing it for the good of my staff and regular customers.

“She said she told all her friends not to go here - that's quite detrimental. Times are hard as it is - you don't want people shouting things that aren't true.”

It is not known whether there will be any comeback from Post Office Ltd.

Comments (49)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:47am Thu 3 Apr 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

Hypothetically, even if the Post Office had made a mistake, then they would not now owe the ten pounds to the lady, they would owe it to the phone service provider because the phone service provider reimbursed the lady her money by way of phone credit. Therefore I think she is wrong to say the Post Office owe her money.

I suggest it was just a misunderstanding on behalf of the lady, phone service providers are in my view, renowned for having technical problems with their systems. I believe there is never any excuse to be rude to anyone or to shout at them.

Would it not make more sense for the lady to enlist the help of a friend now, to collect whatever she needs from the Post Office, as opposed to encouraging others to avoid using the facilities.
Hypothetically, even if the Post Office had made a mistake, then they would not now owe the ten pounds to the lady, they would owe it to the phone service provider because the phone service provider reimbursed the lady her money by way of phone credit. Therefore I think she is wrong to say the Post Office owe her money. I suggest it was just a misunderstanding on behalf of the lady, phone service providers are in my view, renowned for having technical problems with their systems. I believe there is never any excuse to be rude to anyone or to shout at them. Would it not make more sense for the lady to enlist the help of a friend now, to collect whatever she needs from the Post Office, as opposed to encouraging others to avoid using the facilities. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 39

8:59am Thu 3 Apr 14

Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe says...

Make her Mayoress!
Make her Mayoress! Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe
  • Score: -26

11:10am Thu 3 Apr 14

KernBear says...

I would not allow her back in the post office. A mistake happened somewhere, it was sorted out and now she wants more.. She has now lost the convenience, and its her own fault.
I would not allow her back in the post office. A mistake happened somewhere, it was sorted out and now she wants more.. She has now lost the convenience, and its her own fault. KernBear
  • Score: 28

11:14am Thu 3 Apr 14

Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe says...

KernBear wrote:
I would not allow her back in the post office. A mistake happened somewhere, it was sorted out and now she wants more.. She has now lost the convenience, and its her own fault.
So she's been banned from the public toilets too now? She doesn't know where to stop, that one...
[quote][p][bold]KernBear[/bold] wrote: I would not allow her back in the post office. A mistake happened somewhere, it was sorted out and now she wants more.. She has now lost the convenience, and its her own fault.[/p][/quote]So she's been banned from the public toilets too now? She doesn't know where to stop, that one... Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe
  • Score: 30

11:18am Thu 3 Apr 14

Cornish heath says...

Whilst it's regrettable someone elderly should find themselves banned. I agree totally with the postmaster as none of his staff should have to put up with this type of behaviour, and age is not a licence to be rude. No doubt if the lady were to apologise the ban would be lifted.
Whilst it's regrettable someone elderly should find themselves banned. I agree totally with the postmaster as none of his staff should have to put up with this type of behaviour, and age is not a licence to be rude. No doubt if the lady were to apologise the ban would be lifted. Cornish heath
  • Score: 25

11:45am Thu 3 Apr 14

DCI Jen says...

Here I was, sitting watching the comments added and someone thumbed down LBFS's comment, does no one have a sense of humour anymore. They thumbed yours down as well Gill.

I think Mrs Smith should enlist the help of her local Cllr, Mr Andrew Wallis, to mediate with the P.O., someone told me he is very good with tact and diplomacy and is very polite!
Here I was, sitting watching the comments added and someone thumbed down LBFS's comment, does no one have a sense of humour anymore. They thumbed yours down as well Gill. I think Mrs Smith should enlist the help of her local Cllr, Mr Andrew Wallis, to mediate with the P.O., someone told me he is very good with tact and diplomacy and is very polite! DCI Jen
  • Score: 0

3:29pm Thu 3 Apr 14

meerkats says...

Sorry , such a simple word to say and could go a long way to solving this if said with meaning perhaps. She probably regrets her outburst which there is no excuse for and as for asking friends to collect her pension etc they may be a bit uncomfortable in doing it ,in case theres another mistake and she vents her fury at them.!!
Sorry , such a simple word to say and could go a long way to solving this if said with meaning perhaps. She probably regrets her outburst which there is no excuse for and as for asking friends to collect her pension etc they may be a bit uncomfortable in doing it ,in case theres another mistake and she vents her fury at them.!! meerkats
  • Score: 18

4:14pm Thu 3 Apr 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

"She said she told all her friends not to go here"

Doesn't sound very remorseful to me.
If she's got that many friends hasn't one of them got a car to take her to Helston, she says she will be forced to take a taxi every week, what's the matter with the bus, it stops outside the Post Office in Helston. She makes it sound like its everyone else's fault except her own.
Sounds to me like she still doesn't think she is in the wrong.

"I'm 70 with a stick and a dodgy ticker"
Perhaps she should control her temper then.

I wouldn't have her back in there after telling others not to go there. Why are some elderly people rude and then when pulled up on it, play for the sympathy vote.
"She said she told all her friends not to go here" Doesn't sound very remorseful to me. If she's got that many friends hasn't one of them got a car to take her to Helston, she says she will be forced to take a taxi every week, what's the matter with the bus, it stops outside the Post Office in Helston. She makes it sound like its everyone else's fault except her own. Sounds to me like she still doesn't think she is in the wrong. "I'm 70 with a stick and a dodgy ticker" Perhaps she should control her temper then. I wouldn't have her back in there after telling others not to go there. Why are some elderly people rude and then when pulled up on it, play for the sympathy vote. Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: 39

4:51pm Thu 3 Apr 14

molesworth says...

One reaps what one sows...
One reaps what one sows... molesworth
  • Score: 32

5:50pm Thu 3 Apr 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

I think if the lady wants to resolve the situation then she needs to understand and acknowledge she is in the wrong, perhaps her phone provider could explain it to her if she contacted their customer services. She should then write and apologize to the Post Office and give assurances that no unacceptable behaviour would recur if they lifted the ban. The Post Office sh
I think if the lady wants to resolve the situation then she needs to understand and acknowledge she is in the wrong, perhaps her phone provider could explain it to her if she contacted their customer services. She should then write and apologize to the Post Office and give assurances that no unacceptable behaviour would recur if they lifted the ban. The Post Office sh Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 35

5:53pm Thu 3 Apr 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

The Post Office should then have the decency to respond and say whether or not they accept her apology.

Having said that, I personally would never apologize to anyone about anything unless I was genuinely sorry.
The Post Office should then have the decency to respond and say whether or not they accept her apology. Having said that, I personally would never apologize to anyone about anything unless I was genuinely sorry. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 26

8:44pm Thu 3 Apr 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

I have just been told that in the Western Morning News, it states this lady has already been banned from four local shops including a garden centre cafe, and has been rude for years in the Porthleven Post Office!
I have just been told that in the Western Morning News, it states this lady has already been banned from four local shops including a garden centre cafe, and has been rude for years in the Porthleven Post Office! Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 34

8:55pm Thu 3 Apr 14

DCI Jen says...

Oh yes you are right Gill, just read it all, in that case I retract my first post, I wouldn't wish that on Cllr Andrew Wallis. The woman sounds like she needs to attend a conflict and avoidance course.
Oh yes you are right Gill, just read it all, in that case I retract my first post, I wouldn't wish that on Cllr Andrew Wallis. The woman sounds like she needs to attend a conflict and avoidance course. DCI Jen
  • Score: 33

1:39pm Fri 4 Apr 14

Helston Observer says...

Molesworth is right, of course. if one makes oneself unpleasant, then there are consequences. She sounds a nasty piece of work, and I think the postmaster was quite right to ban her.
Molesworth is right, of course. if one makes oneself unpleasant, then there are consequences. She sounds a nasty piece of work, and I think the postmaster was quite right to ban her. Helston Observer
  • Score: 24

10:38am Sat 5 Apr 14

jgrumpy says...

Solution Ms Smith, get the DWP to pay your pension direct into your bank account, buy stamps from a supermarket, do everything else online then you won't even need to go near the PO with its stroppy bureaucracy. If everyone did that the little jobsworths would be out of a job wouldn't they?
Solution Ms Smith, get the DWP to pay your pension direct into your bank account, buy stamps from a supermarket, do everything else online then you won't even need to go near the PO with its stroppy bureaucracy. If everyone did that the little jobsworths would be out of a job wouldn't they? jgrumpy
  • Score: 3

11:52am Sat 5 Apr 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

The staff in Porthleven Post Office and Convenience Store are always friendly, helpful and courteous, they are not jobsworths. No one should have to tolerate rudeness or false accusations within their working environment. The NHS and Doctors surgeries, amongst others, hold a zero tolerance on abuse of this kind, why should Post Office staff or shop staff tolerate it, particularly when it is not a one off occurrence, and when the person has not apologized. I suggest Mrs Smith, who has been banned from multiple shops, is obviously a discourteous person in general.
The staff in Porthleven Post Office and Convenience Store are always friendly, helpful and courteous, they are not jobsworths. No one should have to tolerate rudeness or false accusations within their working environment. The NHS and Doctors surgeries, amongst others, hold a zero tolerance on abuse of this kind, why should Post Office staff or shop staff tolerate it, particularly when it is not a one off occurrence, and when the person has not apologized. I suggest Mrs Smith, who has been banned from multiple shops, is obviously a discourteous person in general. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 28

12:21pm Sat 5 Apr 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

jgrumpy wrote:
Solution Ms Smith, get the DWP to pay your pension direct into your bank account, buy stamps from a supermarket, do everything else online then you won't even need to go near the PO with its stroppy bureaucracy. If everyone did that the little jobsworths would be out of a job wouldn't they?
Was your comment just placed to receive a reaction I wonder, or do you just condone obnoxious rude anti social behaviour? The woman would have a hard job buying stamps from the supermarket seeing as the Post Office is in the supermarket, and she's been banned from several other local shops. If she has her pension paid into her bank account, the card cash machine is also in the Post Office/supermarket. She got what she deserved. Now she will have to go to Helston. How long do you think it will be before she is banned from the next shop she chooses to draw her money from anyway. She obviously doesn't learn by her mistakes or ever apologise I would think, to manage to be banned from so many shops.
[quote][p][bold]jgrumpy[/bold] wrote: Solution Ms Smith, get the DWP to pay your pension direct into your bank account, buy stamps from a supermarket, do everything else online then you won't even need to go near the PO with its stroppy bureaucracy. If everyone did that the little jobsworths would be out of a job wouldn't they?[/p][/quote]Was your comment just placed to receive a reaction I wonder, or do you just condone obnoxious rude anti social behaviour? The woman would have a hard job buying stamps from the supermarket seeing as the Post Office is in the supermarket, and she's been banned from several other local shops. If she has her pension paid into her bank account, the card cash machine is also in the Post Office/supermarket. She got what she deserved. Now she will have to go to Helston. How long do you think it will be before she is banned from the next shop she chooses to draw her money from anyway. She obviously doesn't learn by her mistakes or ever apologise I would think, to manage to be banned from so many shops. Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: 25

1:09pm Sat 5 Apr 14

DCI Jen says...

jgrumpy wrote:
Solution Ms Smith, get the DWP to pay your pension direct into your bank account, buy stamps from a supermarket, do everything else online then you won't even need to go near the PO with its stroppy bureaucracy. If everyone did that the little jobsworths would be out of a job wouldn't they?
For someone who previously posted on this website that you live in Skipton for part of the year and Falmouth for part, do you even have a clue about Porthleven, its shops, staff, or residents? Anti social, rude behaviour might be the norm or acceptable in Skipton but we don't want it in Porthleven. Or in Cornwall. Judging by your comment, I personally wish you would remain in Skipton all year.
[quote][p][bold]jgrumpy[/bold] wrote: Solution Ms Smith, get the DWP to pay your pension direct into your bank account, buy stamps from a supermarket, do everything else online then you won't even need to go near the PO with its stroppy bureaucracy. If everyone did that the little jobsworths would be out of a job wouldn't they?[/p][/quote]For someone who previously posted on this website that you live in Skipton for part of the year and Falmouth for part, do you even have a clue about Porthleven, its shops, staff, or residents? Anti social, rude behaviour might be the norm or acceptable in Skipton but we don't want it in Porthleven. Or in Cornwall. Judging by your comment, I personally wish you would remain in Skipton all year. DCI Jen
  • Score: 25

2:21pm Sat 5 Apr 14

jgrumpy says...

Oh dear. Touchy aren't we? Unsurprised at that sort of response, it sort of sums up the small minded, ill educated Cornish attitude that many of us know and loathe. To make things clearer for you, how so we actually know that this lady is antisocial, who blagged the story to the press? Was it the postmaster? Postmasters are like traffic wardens, they have a little bit of authority and are determined to use ALL of it. As stated above, avoid the PO and do your business elsewhere. I personally haven't been in a PO for years. As for my domestic arrangements I will choose to live where I want so MYOB.
Oh dear. Touchy aren't we? Unsurprised at that sort of response, it sort of sums up the small minded, ill educated Cornish attitude that many of us know and loathe. To make things clearer for you, how so we actually know that this lady is antisocial, who blagged the story to the press? Was it the postmaster? Postmasters are like traffic wardens, they have a little bit of authority and are determined to use ALL of it. As stated above, avoid the PO and do your business elsewhere. I personally haven't been in a PO for years. As for my domestic arrangements I will choose to live where I want so MYOB. jgrumpy
  • Score: -2

3:19pm Sat 5 Apr 14

DCI Jen says...

Strange to ssume we are all uneducated. I really would not judge others by what may be your own standards. Rudeness indicates lack of intelligence in my book. Something you clearly seem to be expressing in my opinion. The lady herself is well known in Porthleven for her behaviour, something which if you had local knowledge you would know. She appears in the picture in the article of her own free will, and clearly admits she shouted etc. The fact remains she has been banned from numerous local shops speaks volumes, something else you would realise was true if you asked around Porthleven and Breage.
You chose to post on this public site that you live in both Skipton and Falmouth, therefore if I choose to refer to that I can.
If you think you need a Post Master to contact the press about something like this happening in a village then you obviously know nothing about village life.
Strange to ssume we are all uneducated. I really would not judge others by what may be your own standards. Rudeness indicates lack of intelligence in my book. Something you clearly seem to be expressing in my opinion. The lady herself is well known in Porthleven for her behaviour, something which if you had local knowledge you would know. She appears in the picture in the article of her own free will, and clearly admits she shouted etc. The fact remains she has been banned from numerous local shops speaks volumes, something else you would realise was true if you asked around Porthleven and Breage. You chose to post on this public site that you live in both Skipton and Falmouth, therefore if I choose to refer to that I can. If you think you need a Post Master to contact the press about something like this happening in a village then you obviously know nothing about village life. DCI Jen
  • Score: 19

3:30pm Sat 5 Apr 14

DCI Jen says...

Incidentally jgrumpy, if you are so biased with your comment " ill educated Cornish attitude that many of us know and loath" then I am surprised you choose reside in Falmouth for part of the year.
You also generalise about Post Masters, that in my view is a small minded opinion to categorise any group of people.
Incidentally jgrumpy, if you are so biased with your comment " ill educated Cornish attitude that many of us know and loath" then I am surprised you choose reside in Falmouth for part of the year. You also generalise about Post Masters, that in my view is a small minded opinion to categorise any group of people. DCI Jen
  • Score: 18

3:42pm Sat 5 Apr 14

jgrumpy says...

Millwall supporters have a mantra which goes as follows, Everybody hates us, we don't care. Exactly my sentiments. Having lived in small villages all my life I know exactly what goes on, some poor individual always has to be spotball. In this case it looks like this lady fits the bill. It's called BULLYING. So somebody, me in this case, decides to voice the opposite opinion and lo and behold, I become the spotball for your invective. I rest my case. And Porthleven is a village? Seems like a town to me.
Millwall supporters have a mantra which goes as follows, Everybody hates us, we don't care. Exactly my sentiments. Having lived in small villages all my life I know exactly what goes on, some poor individual always has to be spotball. In this case it looks like this lady fits the bill. It's called BULLYING. So somebody, me in this case, decides to voice the opposite opinion and lo and behold, I become the spotball for your invective. I rest my case. And Porthleven is a village? Seems like a town to me. jgrumpy
  • Score: 4

3:57pm Sat 5 Apr 14

DCI Jen says...

No one is bullying anyone. You comment from an ignorant perspective in my opinion as you are unaware of the facts. Technically Porthleven is a town, due to residential numbers, but once again you have little knowledge of local life, or views, as it is commonly known as a village to locals and will always be referred to as such. I don't know what type of villages you claim to have lived in but Porthleven or other local villages never carry on in the way you suggest with your so called "spotball" or "bullying".
On your theory everyone except you that has commented on this link is a bully, which is absolute rubbish.
I googled all your comments, I think they are laughable. You're not worth conversing with anymore.
No one is bullying anyone. You comment from an ignorant perspective in my opinion as you are unaware of the facts. Technically Porthleven is a town, due to residential numbers, but once again you have little knowledge of local life, or views, as it is commonly known as a village to locals and will always be referred to as such. I don't know what type of villages you claim to have lived in but Porthleven or other local villages never carry on in the way you suggest with your so called "spotball" or "bullying". On your theory everyone except you that has commented on this link is a bully, which is absolute rubbish. I googled all your comments, I think they are laughable. You're not worth conversing with anymore. DCI Jen
  • Score: 6

4:34pm Sat 5 Apr 14

meerkats says...

jgrumpy wrote:
Millwall supporters have a mantra which goes as follows, Everybody hates us, we don't care. Exactly my sentiments. Having lived in small villages all my life I know exactly what goes on, some poor individual always has to be spotball. In this case it looks like this lady fits the bill. It's called BULLYING. So somebody, me in this case, decides to voice the opposite opinion and lo and behold, I become the spotball for your invective. I rest my case. And Porthleven is a village? Seems like a town to me.
Are you related to Mrs Smith, ? Read all the comments and cant see any sign of bullying, so dont know why you raised that issue. The Postmaster has done the right thing in banning her , nobody should have to put up with that sort of behaviour .
[quote][p][bold]jgrumpy[/bold] wrote: Millwall supporters have a mantra which goes as follows, Everybody hates us, we don't care. Exactly my sentiments. Having lived in small villages all my life I know exactly what goes on, some poor individual always has to be spotball. In this case it looks like this lady fits the bill. It's called BULLYING. So somebody, me in this case, decides to voice the opposite opinion and lo and behold, I become the spotball for your invective. I rest my case. And Porthleven is a village? Seems like a town to me.[/p][/quote]Are you related to Mrs Smith, ? Read all the comments and cant see any sign of bullying, so dont know why you raised that issue. The Postmaster has done the right thing in banning her , nobody should have to put up with that sort of behaviour . meerkats
  • Score: 12

5:56pm Sat 5 Apr 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

Jgrumpy categorises all Post Masters in a comment, if you categorise all Millwall Fans, google has a whole series of articles that mention, fighting, thugs, fighting the police, brawling, hooligans, etc etc etc.
I don't think it is any of the regular commenters on here that are bullies.
The woman was rude in the Post Office over a long time period, she was in the wrong, she was banned, there are customers that could witness it.
Jgrumpy categorises all Post Masters in a comment, if you categorise all Millwall Fans, google has a whole series of articles that mention, fighting, thugs, fighting the police, brawling, hooligans, etc etc etc. I don't think it is any of the regular commenters on here that are bullies. The woman was rude in the Post Office over a long time period, she was in the wrong, she was banned, there are customers that could witness it. Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: 19

6:37am Sun 6 Apr 14

Helston Rick says...

It doesn't matter how often Elizabeth Smith has or hasn't been banned from shops, she has just been banned from the P.O., hence the headline, and anyone expressing disgust or dissaproval with the behaviour has every right it is not bullying nor is she bullied in the village, the suggestion is ludicrous. Sounds to me as if jgrumpy has a personal grudge against the post office in general and is using this article to score points against the post office. Perhaps he might like to read the West Briton website comments placed by others that obviously know Elizabeth. Also read the Western Morning news.
Jgrumpy has no incling as to who is Cornish on here or who is educated so he has made a ridiculous assumption in his comment. As for many loathing the Cornish, the same could be said about his origins so that was another ill informed comment I believe. His mention of his flat in Cliff Road Falmouth on this website elsewhere, says it all to me.
It doesn't matter how often Elizabeth Smith has or hasn't been banned from shops, she has just been banned from the P.O., hence the headline, and anyone expressing disgust or dissaproval with the behaviour has every right it is not bullying nor is she bullied in the village, the suggestion is ludicrous. Sounds to me as if jgrumpy has a personal grudge against the post office in general and is using this article to score points against the post office. Perhaps he might like to read the West Briton website comments placed by others that obviously know Elizabeth. Also read the Western Morning news. Jgrumpy has no incling as to who is Cornish on here or who is educated so he has made a ridiculous assumption in his comment. As for many loathing the Cornish, the same could be said about his origins so that was another ill informed comment I believe. His mention of his flat in Cliff Road Falmouth on this website elsewhere, says it all to me. Helston Rick
  • Score: 23

7:28am Sun 6 Apr 14

Helston Rick says...

DCI Jen, I would describe Andrew Wallis as many things but not diplomatic or polite, in person or email. I find he avoids answering questions and then says he was going to answer them, even though he hadnt answered questions put to him about six months previously. I find if i challenge anything he ignores the question. Anyone that wants to disagree with me feel free but i bet you would get thumbs down, and no, we don't bully him either. I think anyone that doesnt agree with him gets shouted at or their emails ignored. So I dont think enlisting his help for Elizabeth Smith would be much use.
DCI Jen, I would describe Andrew Wallis as many things but not diplomatic or polite, in person or email. I find he avoids answering questions and then says he was going to answer them, even though he hadnt answered questions put to him about six months previously. I find if i challenge anything he ignores the question. Anyone that wants to disagree with me feel free but i bet you would get thumbs down, and no, we don't bully him either. I think anyone that doesnt agree with him gets shouted at or their emails ignored. So I dont think enlisting his help for Elizabeth Smith would be much use. Helston Rick
  • Score: 2

11:59am Sun 6 Apr 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

I have never met Councillor Andrew Wallis, I have however emailed him on several occasions with questions, whilst I may not agree with all the replies, and have made that perfectly clear, I have always found his replies polite and indeed prompt.

With reference to Mrs Smith, I personally think she should apologize to the Post Office if she is genuinely sorry. I believe most conflicting situations can be resolved if both parties are prepared to compromise. She could acknowledge she is wrong and genuinely apologize, and the Post Office could accept an apology and revoke the ban with conditions attached.
I have never met Councillor Andrew Wallis, I have however emailed him on several occasions with questions, whilst I may not agree with all the replies, and have made that perfectly clear, I have always found his replies polite and indeed prompt. With reference to Mrs Smith, I personally think she should apologize to the Post Office if she is genuinely sorry. I believe most conflicting situations can be resolved if both parties are prepared to compromise. She could acknowledge she is wrong and genuinely apologize, and the Post Office could accept an apology and revoke the ban with conditions attached. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 13

5:04pm Sun 6 Apr 14

Helston Rick says...

Gillian R.Z. Martin wrote:
I have never met Councillor Andrew Wallis, I have however emailed him on several occasions with questions, whilst I may not agree with all the replies, and have made that perfectly clear, I have always found his replies polite and indeed prompt.

With reference to Mrs Smith, I personally think she should apologize to the Post Office if she is genuinely sorry. I believe most conflicting situations can be resolved if both parties are prepared to compromise. She could acknowledge she is wrong and genuinely apologize, and the Post Office could accept an apology and revoke the ban with conditions attached.
Try asking him a question he doesnt like, in person, and then see if he is still so polite. If youv'e ever disagreed with his opinion then i would stay well clear. Come to think of it, in comparison Elizabeth Smith sounds quite tame to me.
[quote][p][bold]Gillian R.Z. Martin[/bold] wrote: I have never met Councillor Andrew Wallis, I have however emailed him on several occasions with questions, whilst I may not agree with all the replies, and have made that perfectly clear, I have always found his replies polite and indeed prompt. With reference to Mrs Smith, I personally think she should apologize to the Post Office if she is genuinely sorry. I believe most conflicting situations can be resolved if both parties are prepared to compromise. She could acknowledge she is wrong and genuinely apologize, and the Post Office could accept an apology and revoke the ban with conditions attached.[/p][/quote]Try asking him a question he doesnt like, in person, and then see if he is still so polite. If youv'e ever disagreed with his opinion then i would stay well clear. Come to think of it, in comparison Elizabeth Smith sounds quite tame to me. Helston Rick
  • Score: 2

6:42pm Sun 6 Apr 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

Helston Rick wrote:
Gillian R.Z. Martin wrote:
I have never met Councillor Andrew Wallis, I have however emailed him on several occasions with questions, whilst I may not agree with all the replies, and have made that perfectly clear, I have always found his replies polite and indeed prompt.

With reference to Mrs Smith, I personally think she should apologize to the Post Office if she is genuinely sorry. I believe most conflicting situations can be resolved if both parties are prepared to compromise. She could acknowledge she is wrong and genuinely apologize, and the Post Office could accept an apology and revoke the ban with conditions attached.
Try asking him a question he doesnt like, in person, and then see if he is still so polite. If youv'e ever disagreed with his opinion then i would stay well clear. Come to think of it, in comparison Elizabeth Smith sounds quite tame to me.
I would have no reason or opportunity to ask Councillor Andrew Wallis a question in person, and even hypothetically if I did, how would I know what question he would not like until after I had asked it! I am not out to deliberately vex Councillors. Bearing in mind I have already stated that I did not agree with all his email replies, and have made that clear to him, you state "if you have ever disagreed with his opinion then I should stay well clear" therefore I find your comment a little contradictory.
I believe to liken the conduct of Mrs Smith with that of Councillor Andrew Wallis is not comparable.
[quote][p][bold]Helston Rick[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gillian R.Z. Martin[/bold] wrote: I have never met Councillor Andrew Wallis, I have however emailed him on several occasions with questions, whilst I may not agree with all the replies, and have made that perfectly clear, I have always found his replies polite and indeed prompt. With reference to Mrs Smith, I personally think she should apologize to the Post Office if she is genuinely sorry. I believe most conflicting situations can be resolved if both parties are prepared to compromise. She could acknowledge she is wrong and genuinely apologize, and the Post Office could accept an apology and revoke the ban with conditions attached.[/p][/quote]Try asking him a question he doesnt like, in person, and then see if he is still so polite. If youv'e ever disagreed with his opinion then i would stay well clear. Come to think of it, in comparison Elizabeth Smith sounds quite tame to me.[/p][/quote]I would have no reason or opportunity to ask Councillor Andrew Wallis a question in person, and even hypothetically if I did, how would I know what question he would not like until after I had asked it! I am not out to deliberately vex Councillors. Bearing in mind I have already stated that I did not agree with all his email replies, and have made that clear to him, you state "if you have ever disagreed with his opinion then I should stay well clear" therefore I find your comment a little contradictory. I believe to liken the conduct of Mrs Smith with that of Councillor Andrew Wallis is not comparable. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 14

8:08pm Sun 6 Apr 14

Helston Rick says...

Think they should spend some of our Tesco/Sainsbury money in Helston on tact and diplomacy courses, one for Mrs Smith and one for Cllr Wallis and and one for a Helston Cllr that ignores my emails completely.
Think they should spend some of our Tesco/Sainsbury money in Helston on tact and diplomacy courses, one for Mrs Smith and one for Cllr Wallis and and one for a Helston Cllr that ignores my emails completely. Helston Rick
  • Score: 0

8:16pm Sun 6 Apr 14

meerkats says...

Helston Rick wrote:
Think they should spend some of our Tesco/Sainsbury money in Helston on tact and diplomacy courses, one for Mrs Smith and one for Cllr Wallis and and one for a Helston Cllr that ignores my emails completely.
Here we go yet again , more negative and rude comments regarding Cllr Wallis. He has nothing to do with this news item ,yet as soon as his name is mentioned the nastiness starts. iF you send him emails with the same style of your comments i am not surprised he doesnt reply to you.Mrs Smith doesnt need to attend any courses ,and needs to think of the consequences next time before she has a go at anyone
[quote][p][bold]Helston Rick[/bold] wrote: Think they should spend some of our Tesco/Sainsbury money in Helston on tact and diplomacy courses, one for Mrs Smith and one for Cllr Wallis and and one for a Helston Cllr that ignores my emails completely.[/p][/quote]Here we go yet again , more negative and rude comments regarding Cllr Wallis. He has nothing to do with this news item ,yet as soon as his name is mentioned the nastiness starts. iF you send him emails with the same style of your comments i am not surprised he doesnt reply to you.Mrs Smith doesnt need to attend any courses ,and needs to think of the consequences next time before she has a go at anyone meerkats
  • Score: 1

8:18pm Sun 6 Apr 14

Helston Rick says...

Gillian R.Z. Martin wrote:
I have never met Councillor Andrew Wallis, I have however emailed him on several occasions with questions, whilst I may not agree with all the replies, and have made that perfectly clear, I have always found his replies polite and indeed prompt.

With reference to Mrs Smith, I personally think she should apologize to the Post Office if she is genuinely sorry. I believe most conflicting situations can be resolved if both parties are prepared to compromise. She could acknowledge she is wrong and genuinely apologize, and the Post Office could accept an apology and revoke the ban with conditions attached.
Why do you get polite replies to emails and i dont or i get no reply?
[quote][p][bold]Gillian R.Z. Martin[/bold] wrote: I have never met Councillor Andrew Wallis, I have however emailed him on several occasions with questions, whilst I may not agree with all the replies, and have made that perfectly clear, I have always found his replies polite and indeed prompt. With reference to Mrs Smith, I personally think she should apologize to the Post Office if she is genuinely sorry. I believe most conflicting situations can be resolved if both parties are prepared to compromise. She could acknowledge she is wrong and genuinely apologize, and the Post Office could accept an apology and revoke the ban with conditions attached.[/p][/quote]Why do you get polite replies to emails and i dont or i get no reply? Helston Rick
  • Score: 3

9:03pm Sun 6 Apr 14

Helston Rick says...

Wow meerkats you sound quick tempered to me, not related to Cllr Wallis lol
i didnt actually say he didnt answer my emails i said a Helston Cllr didnt answer them at all, think you must have read my comment wrong.
Wow meerkats you sound quick tempered to me, not related to Cllr Wallis lol i didnt actually say he didnt answer my emails i said a Helston Cllr didnt answer them at all, think you must have read my comment wrong. Helston Rick
  • Score: -2

9:12pm Sun 6 Apr 14

meerkats says...

Helston Rick wrote:
Wow meerkats you sound quick tempered to me, not related to Cllr Wallis lol
i didnt actually say he didnt answer my emails i said a Helston Cllr didnt answer them at all, think you must have read my comment wrong.
You are wrong in saying i am quick tempered i most certainly am not ! and i was wrong thinking you said it was Cllr Wallis that didnt reply to your emails , so between us we have done well lol
[quote][p][bold]Helston Rick[/bold] wrote: Wow meerkats you sound quick tempered to me, not related to Cllr Wallis lol i didnt actually say he didnt answer my emails i said a Helston Cllr didnt answer them at all, think you must have read my comment wrong.[/p][/quote]You are wrong in saying i am quick tempered i most certainly am not ! and i was wrong thinking you said it was Cllr Wallis that didnt reply to your emails , so between us we have done well lol meerkats
  • Score: 0

9:52pm Sun 6 Apr 14

ronedgcumbe says...

Oh my. Really glad I live in Helston, perfect people, places, paverments ect With all this going on in Porthleven. Please leave this lady alone we have all made mistakes
Oh my. Really glad I live in Helston, perfect people, places, paverments ect With all this going on in Porthleven. Please leave this lady alone we have all made mistakes ronedgcumbe
  • Score: -18

10:01pm Sun 6 Apr 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

Helston Rick wrote:
Gillian R.Z. Martin wrote:
I have never met Councillor Andrew Wallis, I have however emailed him on several occasions with questions, whilst I may not agree with all the replies, and have made that perfectly clear, I have always found his replies polite and indeed prompt.

With reference to Mrs Smith, I personally think she should apologize to the Post Office if she is genuinely sorry. I believe most conflicting situations can be resolved if both parties are prepared to compromise. She could acknowledge she is wrong and genuinely apologize, and the Post Office could accept an apology and revoke the ban with conditions attached.
Why do you get polite replies to emails and i dont or i get no reply?
I have no idea, maybe it is a question you need to ask the Councillors, perhaps by phone!
[quote][p][bold]Helston Rick[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gillian R.Z. Martin[/bold] wrote: I have never met Councillor Andrew Wallis, I have however emailed him on several occasions with questions, whilst I may not agree with all the replies, and have made that perfectly clear, I have always found his replies polite and indeed prompt. With reference to Mrs Smith, I personally think she should apologize to the Post Office if she is genuinely sorry. I believe most conflicting situations can be resolved if both parties are prepared to compromise. She could acknowledge she is wrong and genuinely apologize, and the Post Office could accept an apology and revoke the ban with conditions attached.[/p][/quote]Why do you get polite replies to emails and i dont or i get no reply?[/p][/quote]I have no idea, maybe it is a question you need to ask the Councillors, perhaps by phone! Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 11

10:18pm Sun 6 Apr 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Oh my. Really glad I live in Helston, perfect people, places, paverments ect With all this going on in Porthleven. Please leave this lady alone we have all made mistakes
Ron its an article on a website that she freely had herself photographed for and gave comment to the packet, I doubt she's reading this because if she was don't you think she would have had something to say!!!!
I think you're mighty hypocritical, for months? years? you have picked fault with Cllrs in Helston, even about genuine mistakes they might have made.
If she chooses to be in the packet obviously people will discuss it, and you can't expect people to say what a wonderful thing she did. I remember you picking fault with Cllr Knight when she did a charity event and Gill and meerkats said you were wrong, you accused her of publicity seeking and for cleaning the boundary stones. So why don't you practice what you preach.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: Oh my. Really glad I live in Helston, perfect people, places, paverments ect With all this going on in Porthleven. Please leave this lady alone we have all made mistakes[/p][/quote]Ron its an article on a website that she freely had herself photographed for and gave comment to the packet, I doubt she's reading this because if she was don't you think she would have had something to say!!!! I think you're mighty hypocritical, for months? years? you have picked fault with Cllrs in Helston, even about genuine mistakes they might have made. If she chooses to be in the packet obviously people will discuss it, and you can't expect people to say what a wonderful thing she did. I remember you picking fault with Cllr Knight when she did a charity event and Gill and meerkats said you were wrong, you accused her of publicity seeking and for cleaning the boundary stones. So why don't you practice what you preach. Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: 17

10:36pm Sun 6 Apr 14

ronedgcumbe says...

We all make mistakes and opinions change. It was perhapes a mistake to seek to publicise this story amd a further mistake to allow comments that have only escalated it.
We all make mistakes and opinions change. It was perhapes a mistake to seek to publicise this story amd a further mistake to allow comments that have only escalated it. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: -12

10:46pm Sun 6 Apr 14

ronedgcumbe says...

Sorry do not know of a connection between the councillor and the lady in Porthleven post office.
Sorry do not know of a connection between the councillor and the lady in Porthleven post office. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: -18

7:13am Mon 7 Apr 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
We all make mistakes and opinions change. It was perhapes a mistake to seek to publicise this story amd a further mistake to allow comments that have only escalated it.
Ron, news is news, you can't be selective, have you read the same article and comments on the West Briton site and Western Morning news site, by all accounts it appears this wasn't a one off mistake, and if that is the case it's not really a case of "we all make mistakes" yes we do, but not the same one over and over again unless we are daft, in which case you can't blame people expressing opinions. If she has just "made a mistake" then why doesn't she put it right by apologising, I think you will find she has done it so many times the post office is fed up.
As for the Cllr, loads of stories comments go off topic, you did, mentioning St Ives on the other story.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: We all make mistakes and opinions change. It was perhapes a mistake to seek to publicise this story amd a further mistake to allow comments that have only escalated it.[/p][/quote]Ron, news is news, you can't be selective, have you read the same article and comments on the West Briton site and Western Morning news site, by all accounts it appears this wasn't a one off mistake, and if that is the case it's not really a case of "we all make mistakes" yes we do, but not the same one over and over again unless we are daft, in which case you can't blame people expressing opinions. If she has just "made a mistake" then why doesn't she put it right by apologising, I think you will find she has done it so many times the post office is fed up. As for the Cllr, loads of stories comments go off topic, you did, mentioning St Ives on the other story. Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: 18

7:42am Mon 7 Apr 14

molesworth says...

I think it's a great story on many levels. It should be used as a subject to be debated in schools. I do wonder what must have happened to the lady in question to make her so angry with life. There's always a reason when a dog bites (I'm NOT suggesting the lady is a dog!).
I think it's a great story on many levels. It should be used as a subject to be debated in schools. I do wonder what must have happened to the lady in question to make her so angry with life. There's always a reason when a dog bites (I'm NOT suggesting the lady is a dog!). molesworth
  • Score: 15

7:54am Mon 7 Apr 14

Helston Rick says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Oh my. Really glad I live in Helston, perfect people, places, paverments ect With all this going on in Porthleven. Please leave this lady alone we have all made mistakes
Of course you know how Elizabeth behaves in general in the community and with her neighbours. Such a lovely person shes going round telling people not to use the post office because they ripped her off, really sounds like shes learnt by her mistake. Get off your high horse ronedgcumbe and put your own comments under scrutiny.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: Oh my. Really glad I live in Helston, perfect people, places, paverments ect With all this going on in Porthleven. Please leave this lady alone we have all made mistakes[/p][/quote]Of course you know how Elizabeth behaves in general in the community and with her neighbours. Such a lovely person shes going round telling people not to use the post office because they ripped her off, really sounds like shes learnt by her mistake. Get off your high horse ronedgcumbe and put your own comments under scrutiny. Helston Rick
  • Score: 15

10:21am Mon 7 Apr 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
We all make mistakes and opinions change. It was perhapes a mistake to seek to publicise this story amd a further mistake to allow comments that have only escalated it.
Ron, yes we probably all make mistakes, I know I do, life is a learning curve.
Many people have life circumstances that could make them sad/bitter/angry etc, but I personally look at what I have got in life not what I have not. I believe it is about putting into society not taking out.
Mrs Smith has unfortunately got herself into this situation and she is the only person that can rectify it, I still believe she could reverse the situation if she so wished, with a little time and effort.
With regards to comments, I believe the Packet has the balance right, providing obviously people abide by the site terms and are not overly or continually rude etc then I see nothing wrong with debate or differing of opinions, and debate can be heated at times, that is life. I do not believe it necessary for any site owner to censor comments just because they may not agree they are relevant or positive to the article, it is a matter of opinion, and can be debated between commenters, otherwise it could be too selective and would be all about what the site owners opinions were, in which case I think there would be no point having comments at all. I certainly would not comment if they were censured just on personal choice of the site owner, if my comments were not rude etc.
I find nothing wrong with allowing comments on this article.
We may not always agree but I enjoy reading your comments Ron because you sometimes make me laugh, and I do not mean that rudely.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: We all make mistakes and opinions change. It was perhapes a mistake to seek to publicise this story amd a further mistake to allow comments that have only escalated it.[/p][/quote]Ron, yes we probably all make mistakes, I know I do, life is a learning curve. Many people have life circumstances that could make them sad/bitter/angry etc, but I personally look at what I have got in life not what I have not. I believe it is about putting into society not taking out. Mrs Smith has unfortunately got herself into this situation and she is the only person that can rectify it, I still believe she could reverse the situation if she so wished, with a little time and effort. With regards to comments, I believe the Packet has the balance right, providing obviously people abide by the site terms and are not overly or continually rude etc then I see nothing wrong with debate or differing of opinions, and debate can be heated at times, that is life. I do not believe it necessary for any site owner to censor comments just because they may not agree they are relevant or positive to the article, it is a matter of opinion, and can be debated between commenters, otherwise it could be too selective and would be all about what the site owners opinions were, in which case I think there would be no point having comments at all. I certainly would not comment if they were censured just on personal choice of the site owner, if my comments were not rude etc. I find nothing wrong with allowing comments on this article. We may not always agree but I enjoy reading your comments Ron because you sometimes make me laugh, and I do not mean that rudely. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 15

8:47pm Mon 7 Apr 14

'locallad87' says...

I work in retail myself. I happen to think that it is a sad fact in our society that people are just rude. Mrs Smith has been disgusting in her actions; using her age or lack of transport as an excuse is incorrect. I agree with all the comments that say she has herself to blame. It staggers me that at least 40% of customers I deal with can't bring themselves to say hello, goodbye, thank you or even just smile! Unfortunately people think that 'the customer is always right' this in some cases is true, however rudeness will not be tolerated, people think that if they shout loud they will get their own way. Actually that shows how wrong they are, they are hampering their situation rather than helping. I served somebody the other day who felt it imperative to inform me that 'she is an intelligent woman' forgive me, I didn't think that intelligent people feel the need to tell others less intelligent of their knowledge.

It does sound like this entire debacle has gotten out of hand, surely if the lady in question apologises from the heart and is just a little bit kinder; she may find people want to help her. Jgrumpy, I really don't wish to engage in an argument with you, but I feel that the narrow minded attitudes that you so loathe is exactly the way you are behaving. I am not entirely sure that I would announce in a local newspaper where I live, especially as presumably the properties you occupy are empty for long periods of time? I would find it quite amusing if you were burgled. Then I imagine you would expect the 'jobsworths' at the police station to help!
I work in retail myself. I happen to think that it is a sad fact in our society that people are just rude. Mrs Smith has been disgusting in her actions; using her age or lack of transport as an excuse is incorrect. I agree with all the comments that say she has herself to blame. It staggers me that at least 40% of customers I deal with can't bring themselves to say hello, goodbye, thank you or even just smile! Unfortunately people think that 'the customer is always right' this in some cases is true, however rudeness will not be tolerated, people think that if they shout loud they will get their own way. Actually that shows how wrong they are, they are hampering their situation rather than helping. I served somebody the other day who felt it imperative to inform me that 'she is an intelligent woman' forgive me, I didn't think that intelligent people feel the need to tell others less intelligent of their knowledge. It does sound like this entire debacle has gotten out of hand, surely if the lady in question apologises from the heart and is just a little bit kinder; she may find people want to help her. Jgrumpy, I really don't wish to engage in an argument with you, but I feel that the narrow minded attitudes that you so loathe is exactly the way you are behaving. I am not entirely sure that I would announce in a local newspaper where I live, especially as presumably the properties you occupy are empty for long periods of time? I would find it quite amusing if you were burgled. Then I imagine you would expect the 'jobsworths' at the police station to help! 'locallad87'
  • Score: 15

3:04pm Thu 10 Apr 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Oh my. Really glad I live in Helston, perfect people, places, paverments ect With all this going on in Porthleven. Please leave this lady alone we have all made mistakes
Perhaps you and jgrumpy might like to read the letter in the packet and on this website under the letters column, about this lady. It seems like it is basically what the rest of us have been saying all along is right. It is the star letter, and would not have been printed if it wasn't true.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: Oh my. Really glad I live in Helston, perfect people, places, paverments ect With all this going on in Porthleven. Please leave this lady alone we have all made mistakes[/p][/quote]Perhaps you and jgrumpy might like to read the letter in the packet and on this website under the letters column, about this lady. It seems like it is basically what the rest of us have been saying all along is right. It is the star letter, and would not have been printed if it wasn't true. Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: 9

1:49pm Fri 11 Apr 14

titanium says...

Yawn !!.
Yawn !!. titanium
  • Score: -2

4:05pm Fri 11 Apr 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

titanium wrote:
Yawn !!.
How very polite of you!! You're not obliged to read the comments! Might be nice if you added something constructive or didn't bother.
The fact a letter appeared this week in the packet, on the story, means it's still of interest to some. Or perhaps you're jgrumpy?
[quote][p][bold]titanium[/bold] wrote: Yawn !!.[/p][/quote]How very polite of you!! You're not obliged to read the comments! Might be nice if you added something constructive or didn't bother. The fact a letter appeared this week in the packet, on the story, means it's still of interest to some. Or perhaps you're jgrumpy? Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: 5

11:55am Sun 13 Apr 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

titanium wrote:
Yawn !!.
🌜🌙🌔🌓🌒
🌑💤💤
[quote][p][bold]titanium[/bold] wrote: Yawn !!.[/p][/quote]🌜🌙🌔🌓🌒 🌑💤💤 Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree