Falmouth man had wood in his trousers... and would have used it

Falmouth man had wood in his trousers... and would have used it

Falmouth man had wood in his trousers... and would have used it

First published in News
Last updated

Two men who went into Falmouth one evening armed with lengths of wood to defend themselves in case of trouble were sent to prison for eight weeks at Truro Magistrates’ Court, after pleading guilty to carrying offensive weapons in a public place.

Their solicitor Paul Simons told the magistrates that both men were being sought by other people in Falmouth. “There are a few tensions in Falmouth at the moment,” he added.

Before the court were Dale Andrew Ryan Carter, 19, and Michael Sean Watkins, 26, both living at an address in Grenville Road, Falmouth.

Gail Hawkley, for the CPS, said police had gone to Falmouth after reports that someone had been seen hitting cars. Descriptions were put out and a CCTV operator suggested the two defendants as a match.

Police officers found them, apparently drunk, and acting evasively. Carter produced a wooden pole from inside a sleeve and Watkins said he had a piece of wood down his trousers.

Watkins told the officers he had recently been having problems and was carrying the wood to defend himself if the need arose.

Carter said he had had a bit of trouble earlier and would have used the wood if someone had jumped him.

Both men had previous convictions.

Mr Simons said some evidence of the trouble the men were facing were the two black eyes, which Carter was showing that day in court.

Comments (7)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:24am Fri 11 Apr 14

Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe says...

And the prize for Worst Newspaper Headline 2014 goes to...
And the prize for Worst Newspaper Headline 2014 goes to... Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe
  • Score: 3

11:01am Fri 11 Apr 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe wrote:
And the prize for Worst Newspaper Headline 2014 goes to...
I suppose it is better than saying 'Falmouth man had an offensive weapon in his trousers'!
[quote][p][bold]Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe[/bold] wrote: And the prize for Worst Newspaper Headline 2014 goes to...[/p][/quote]I suppose it is better than saying 'Falmouth man had an offensive weapon in his trousers'! Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 5

11:24am Fri 11 Apr 14

Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe says...

Gillian R.Z. Martin wrote:
Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe wrote:
And the prize for Worst Newspaper Headline 2014 goes to...
I suppose it is better than saying 'Falmouth man had an offensive weapon in his trousers'!
They could have at least gone with "Falmouth man wood have used weapon in his trousers... "
[quote][p][bold]Gillian R.Z. Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe[/bold] wrote: And the prize for Worst Newspaper Headline 2014 goes to...[/p][/quote]I suppose it is better than saying 'Falmouth man had an offensive weapon in his trousers'![/p][/quote]They could have at least gone with "Falmouth man wood have used weapon in his trousers... " Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe
  • Score: 3

11:28am Fri 11 Apr 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe wrote:
Gillian R.Z. Martin wrote:
Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe wrote:
And the prize for Worst Newspaper Headline 2014 goes to...
I suppose it is better than saying 'Falmouth man had an offensive weapon in his trousers'!
They could have at least gone with "Falmouth man wood have used weapon in his trousers... "
Lol, or Falmouth man had offensive weapon in trousers, if the need had arisen, he would have used it.
[quote][p][bold]Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gillian R.Z. Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe[/bold] wrote: And the prize for Worst Newspaper Headline 2014 goes to...[/p][/quote]I suppose it is better than saying 'Falmouth man had an offensive weapon in his trousers'![/p][/quote]They could have at least gone with "Falmouth man wood have used weapon in his trousers... "[/p][/quote]Lol, or Falmouth man had offensive weapon in trousers, if the need had arisen, he would have used it. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 2

4:47pm Fri 11 Apr 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

Never mind the headline, Falmouth sounds a bit rough to me.
Never mind the headline, Falmouth sounds a bit rough to me. Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: 1

4:53pm Fri 11 Apr 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

Perhaps some of them are a chip off the old block.
Perhaps some of them are a chip off the old block. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 4

5:02pm Fri 11 Apr 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

Sounds like a run of the mill story to me.
Sounds like a run of the mill story to me. Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree