Helston warden wins environmental award

Helston warden wins environmental award

Helston warden wins environmental award

First published in News

Helston’s town warden Craig Bowcutt is the latest in a long line of local people to be recognised by Lizard Peninsula Friends of the Earth’s John Mackay Award.

The award was created in 2003 to celebrate the achievement of local individuals or groups towards improving the environment, and commemorates the late Porkellis resident John Mackay,

Presenting the Cornish oak trophy, Diana Wilson, of Lizard Peninsula FoE, said: “Helston is one of the very few towns in Cornwall to have a full-time warden and his work has a strong environmental impact both physically and socially.”

She said the town remained a clean and attractive place thanks to Craig’s regular litter picking. He helped deter anti-social behaviour and to support enforcement officers, working with the police to reduce crime and the fear of crime. He also kept graffiti and flyposting to a minimum and looked after street furniture.

“The amount of rubbish lying around after the February storms made clear how clean Helston normally is, thanks to Craig’s conscientious work,” added Diana.

Like many other towns, Helston had struggled to keep its centre vibrant and attractive. It succeeded mostly due to the dedication of its shopkeepers, supported by the town warden’s vigilance, cleaning and maintenance work, she said.

Diana appealed to residents and visitors to consider doing at least some of their shopping in the town centre, to help ensure Helston’s vitality and wellbeing in the long term.

Comments (50)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:47pm Thu 17 Apr 14

telstar1962 says...

Well done, Craig
Keep up the good work !
Well done, Craig Keep up the good work ! telstar1962
  • Score: -35

3:15pm Thu 17 Apr 14

krazyitchkatie says...

Really???!
Really???! krazyitchkatie
  • Score: 4

3:21pm Thu 17 Apr 14

down2rise says...

Got a lot of love for the wonder Diana Wilson, she's a remarkable lady!
Got a lot of love for the wonder Diana Wilson, she's a remarkable lady! down2rise
  • Score: -45

3:21pm Thu 17 Apr 14

down2rise says...

down2rise wrote:
Got a lot of love for the wonder Diana Wilson, she's a remarkable lady!
*Wonderful
[quote][p][bold]down2rise[/bold] wrote: Got a lot of love for the wonder Diana Wilson, she's a remarkable lady![/p][/quote]*Wonderful down2rise
  • Score: -45

3:57pm Thu 17 Apr 14

jakeriding.co.uk says...

Well done Craig!
Well done Craig! jakeriding.co.uk
  • Score: -33

10:43pm Thu 17 Apr 14

ronedgcumbe says...

Nothing personal intended but I do think there has to be a rethink of this sort of town council spending.
Following the enormous increase in town council demands for money and there inability to find savings this publicity seems unfortunate.
Nothing personal intended but I do think there has to be a rethink of this sort of town council spending. Following the enormous increase in town council demands for money and there inability to find savings this publicity seems unfortunate. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 12

7:53am Fri 18 Apr 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

Congratulations to Mr Bowcutt for receiving an award which recognises that his work makes a significant difference to the town.

I know for a fact Mr Bowcutt does a lot of work which is unseen to the public in addition to his visible presence around the town.

Whilst the HBIP town tidy team do a good job, they as volunteers, are not available on a daily basis to cope with the demand of the role that Mr Bowcutt covers. With the Town Council taking over more responsibilities from Cornwall Council, I believe the employment of a town warden is justifiable.
Congratulations to Mr Bowcutt for receiving an award which recognises that his work makes a significant difference to the town. I know for a fact Mr Bowcutt does a lot of work which is unseen to the public in addition to his visible presence around the town. Whilst the HBIP town tidy team do a good job, they as volunteers, are not available on a daily basis to cope with the demand of the role that Mr Bowcutt covers. With the Town Council taking over more responsibilities from Cornwall Council, I believe the employment of a town warden is justifiable. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: -8

9:26am Fri 18 Apr 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

Well done to you Craig, proper job.

Apart from telstar, Gill, and Jake, I think the rest of you posters should be ashamed of yourselves, Craig did not ask to win this award and the rest of you can't even have the decency to acknowledge him for it.
As usual Ron going on about council finances when this article is about Craig's award not whether or not his job should exist. Notice you didn't stand for the council vacancy though Ron. Gill seems to be the only one posting on here that always seems positive about those that work for Helston and appreciates their efforts.
Just because the BIP town tidy do a bit in the town you can't rely on them they might not always be there, and they've certainly spent their share of Helston money, thousands for a logo no one seems to see.
I notice the scoring rising on Rons comment by the minute, pathetic, and selfish I think of those that cannot let Craig enjoy his award.
Well done to you Craig, proper job. Apart from telstar, Gill, and Jake, I think the rest of you posters should be ashamed of yourselves, Craig did not ask to win this award and the rest of you can't even have the decency to acknowledge him for it. As usual Ron going on about council finances when this article is about Craig's award not whether or not his job should exist. Notice you didn't stand for the council vacancy though Ron. Gill seems to be the only one posting on here that always seems positive about those that work for Helston and appreciates their efforts. Just because the BIP town tidy do a bit in the town you can't rely on them they might not always be there, and they've certainly spent their share of Helston money, thousands for a logo no one seems to see. I notice the scoring rising on Rons comment by the minute, pathetic, and selfish I think of those that cannot let Craig enjoy his award. Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: -11

11:12am Fri 18 Apr 14

meerkats says...

Well done Craig , a reward well deserved. He works very hard and has made a difference to the Town. Ignore all the negative comments on here and enjoy the award in recognition of your work a very worthy recipient.
Well done Craig , a reward well deserved. He works very hard and has made a difference to the Town. Ignore all the negative comments on here and enjoy the award in recognition of your work a very worthy recipient. meerkats
  • Score: -34

1:45pm Fri 18 Apr 14

telstar1962 says...

Some people do less in the course of their work, and are awarded Knight-hoods and Lordships.

Craig is a nice person who is just doing his job, and it's not his fault that he has been chosen for the award

Just shows how small minded some people are to be negative about good work, but then again, it's not a surprise, is it ?
Some people do less in the course of their work, and are awarded Knight-hoods and Lordships. Craig is a nice person who is just doing his job, and it's not his fault that he has been chosen for the award Just shows how small minded some people are to be negative about good work, but then again, it's not a surprise, is it ? telstar1962
  • Score: -24

3:34pm Fri 18 Apr 14

meerkats says...

All the decent comments here are thumbed down ,yet the ones that arent get thumbs up , is it a case of self voting ?
All the decent comments here are thumbed down ,yet the ones that arent get thumbs up , is it a case of self voting ? meerkats
  • Score: -27

7:52pm Fri 18 Apr 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

Helston Rick wrote:
So how come telstar the second you post GRZMs comment is voted down and Rons voted up, makes me think you dont really believe in what you say.
As for Hfotw the only reason GRZM is positive about Helston is because she wants to stand for Cllr.
My positivity in Helston lies in my desire to see a town I love continue to improve and thrive, I therefore am appreciative of the effort that anyone makes for the town, that includes the work of the town warden, and I think it is lovely he has gained recognition for his efforts. I have no ulterior motive for any positive remark I make, I cannot stand for council as I reside outside the three mile exclusion zone.
[quote][p][bold]Helston Rick[/bold] wrote: So how come telstar the second you post GRZMs comment is voted down and Rons voted up, makes me think you dont really believe in what you say. As for Hfotw the only reason GRZM is positive about Helston is because she wants to stand for Cllr.[/p][/quote]My positivity in Helston lies in my desire to see a town I love continue to improve and thrive, I therefore am appreciative of the effort that anyone makes for the town, that includes the work of the town warden, and I think it is lovely he has gained recognition for his efforts. I have no ulterior motive for any positive remark I make, I cannot stand for council as I reside outside the three mile exclusion zone. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: -7

8:46am Sat 19 Apr 14

miss perfect says...

telstar1962 wrote:
Well done, Craig
Keep up the good work !
Minnus 41 votes, well done craiig
[quote][p][bold]telstar1962[/bold] wrote: Well done, Craig Keep up the good work ![/p][/quote]Minnus 41 votes, well done craiig miss perfect
  • Score: 0

9:10am Sat 19 Apr 14

meerkats says...

I think its quite sad to see so many negative comments on this , seeing as Mr Bowcutt does so many positive things for the town.
I think its quite sad to see so many negative comments on this , seeing as Mr Bowcutt does so many positive things for the town. meerkats
  • Score: -4

9:16am Sat 19 Apr 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

miss perfect wrote:
telstar1962 wrote:
Well done, Craig
Keep up the good work !
Minnus 41 votes, well done craiig
If you want to use the website just to be nasty, rude or sarcastic which you seem to have a track record of, I think, then at least invest in a dictionary. The voting is rubbish as people can multiple vote and anyone with any intelligence will know Craig does a good job.
[quote][p][bold]miss perfect[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]telstar1962[/bold] wrote: Well done, Craig Keep up the good work ![/p][/quote]Minnus 41 votes, well done craiig[/p][/quote]If you want to use the website just to be nasty, rude or sarcastic which you seem to have a track record of, I think, then at least invest in a dictionary. The voting is rubbish as people can multiple vote and anyone with any intelligence will know Craig does a good job. Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: -3

1:39pm Sat 19 Apr 14

meerkats says...

miss perfect wrote:
telstar1962 wrote:
Well done, Craig
Keep up the good work !
Minnus 41 votes, well done craiig
if you need to make a sarcastic comment , at least have the decency to spell his name correctly.
[quote][p][bold]miss perfect[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]telstar1962[/bold] wrote: Well done, Craig Keep up the good work ![/p][/quote]Minnus 41 votes, well done craiig[/p][/quote]if you need to make a sarcastic comment , at least have the decency to spell his name correctly. meerkats
  • Score: -1

2:40pm Sat 19 Apr 14

miss perfect says...

Minus 41 votes sarcastic, slip of finger typo lool
Minus 41 votes sarcastic, slip of finger typo lool miss perfect
  • Score: -4

2:48pm Sat 19 Apr 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

meerkats wrote:
miss perfect wrote:
telstar1962 wrote:
Well done, Craig
Keep up the good work !
Minnus 41 votes, well done craiig
if you need to make a sarcastic comment , at least have the decency to spell his name correctly.
I think the mis-spelling is all put on, to try to lead you away from the real poster who us using multiple names. Surely anyone with half a brain cell could have copied the correct spelling of Craig, considering the ludicrously named miss perfect quoted the comment with the name Craig in it.
What awe inspiring acheivement has miss perfect done for Helston I wonder, she can't even spell Miss with a capital.
[quote][p][bold]meerkats[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]miss perfect[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]telstar1962[/bold] wrote: Well done, Craig Keep up the good work ![/p][/quote]Minnus 41 votes, well done craiig[/p][/quote]if you need to make a sarcastic comment , at least have the decency to spell his name correctly.[/p][/quote]I think the mis-spelling is all put on, to try to lead you away from the real poster who us using multiple names. Surely anyone with half a brain cell could have copied the correct spelling of Craig, considering the ludicrously named miss perfect quoted the comment with the name Craig in it. What awe inspiring acheivement has miss perfect done for Helston I wonder, she can't even spell Miss with a capital. Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: 9

6:00pm Sat 19 Apr 14

miss perfect says...

Wish i were perfect like all of you on here,whats it like ?
Wish i were perfect like all of you on here,whats it like ? miss perfect
  • Score: -18

9:21pm Sat 19 Apr 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

I can't see anyone claiming to be perfect on here, except you, seeing as your user name is miss perfect!! Hoist by your own petard I think.

The BIP paid thousands of pounds for a logo and I think having a slogan "positive people perfect place" is a joke when Katie places a comment on here about Craig's award such as she has, perhaps the BIP members should practice what they preach, because I don't think her comment was very positive, so much for everyone working together. Makes the slogan look ridiculous to me and the logo a waste of money.
I can't see anyone claiming to be perfect on here, except you, seeing as your user name is miss perfect!! Hoist by your own petard I think. The BIP paid thousands of pounds for a logo and I think having a slogan "positive people perfect place" is a joke when Katie places a comment on here about Craig's award such as she has, perhaps the BIP members should practice what they preach, because I don't think her comment was very positive, so much for everyone working together. Makes the slogan look ridiculous to me and the logo a waste of money. Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: 15

11:19am Sun 20 Apr 14

miss perfect says...

Nogo logo gogo
like vvote score?
Nogo logo gogo like vvote score? miss perfect
  • Score: -11

11:55am Sun 20 Apr 14

madmandamoo says...

Well done Craig. I often see Craig in the park in Bulwark Road, he is always ensuring things are as they should be and if not reporting them to the appropriate person. How many negative posters have actually joined in with a litter pick...or is it a case of "its not my rubbish"!
I would ignore all of the ratings, unfortunately people have nothing better to do than try to upset others. One day you may be grateful of his assistance.
Well done Craig. I often see Craig in the park in Bulwark Road, he is always ensuring things are as they should be and if not reporting them to the appropriate person. How many negative posters have actually joined in with a litter pick...or is it a case of "its not my rubbish"! I would ignore all of the ratings, unfortunately people have nothing better to do than try to upset others. One day you may be grateful of his assistance. madmandamoo
  • Score: -18

1:28pm Sun 20 Apr 14

telstar1962 says...

Arise, Mr Sir Bowcutt, up for Lord Mayor next

(just call me Craig !)
Arise, Mr Sir Bowcutt, up for Lord Mayor next (just call me Craig !) telstar1962
  • Score: 8

4:36pm Sun 20 Apr 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

telstar1962 wrote:
Arise, Mr Sir Bowcutt, up for Lord Mayor next

(just call me Craig !)
Lol, there was me thinking you actually would make a good Mayor.

I cannot understand what all the negativity is about from some, Mr Bowcutt has won an award, surely that is not only an achievement for him, but additionally a bonus for the reputation of the town in general. I would have thought whatever anyone brings to the town that is positive, is a good thing. I just hope Mr Bowcutt does not get to hear of the negativity displayed on this website, I think it is unkind.
[quote][p][bold]telstar1962[/bold] wrote: Arise, Mr Sir Bowcutt, up for Lord Mayor next (just call me Craig !)[/p][/quote]Lol, there was me thinking you actually would make a good Mayor. I cannot understand what all the negativity is about from some, Mr Bowcutt has won an award, surely that is not only an achievement for him, but additionally a bonus for the reputation of the town in general. I would have thought whatever anyone brings to the town that is positive, is a good thing. I just hope Mr Bowcutt does not get to hear of the negativity displayed on this website, I think it is unkind. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: -12

5:25pm Sun 20 Apr 14

meerkats says...

Gillian R.Z. Martin wrote:
telstar1962 wrote:
Arise, Mr Sir Bowcutt, up for Lord Mayor next

(just call me Craig !)
Lol, there was me thinking you actually would make a good Mayor.

I cannot understand what all the negativity is about from some, Mr Bowcutt has won an award, surely that is not only an achievement for him, but additionally a bonus for the reputation of the town in general. I would have thought whatever anyone brings to the town that is positive, is a good thing. I just hope Mr Bowcutt does not get to hear of the negativity displayed on this website, I think it is unkind.
Unkind and totally unnecessary !!
[quote][p][bold]Gillian R.Z. Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]telstar1962[/bold] wrote: Arise, Mr Sir Bowcutt, up for Lord Mayor next (just call me Craig !)[/p][/quote]Lol, there was me thinking you actually would make a good Mayor. I cannot understand what all the negativity is about from some, Mr Bowcutt has won an award, surely that is not only an achievement for him, but additionally a bonus for the reputation of the town in general. I would have thought whatever anyone brings to the town that is positive, is a good thing. I just hope Mr Bowcutt does not get to hear of the negativity displayed on this website, I think it is unkind.[/p][/quote]Unkind and totally unnecessary !! meerkats
  • Score: -16

8:35pm Sun 20 Apr 14

telstar1962 says...

When I stop and talk to him I call him Craig

I think Mr Bowcutt appears rather too formal

That is my opinion

Again,well done Craig
When I stop and talk to him I call him Craig I think Mr Bowcutt appears rather too formal That is my opinion Again,well done Craig telstar1962
  • Score: -7

2:52am Mon 21 Apr 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

telstar1962 wrote:
When I stop and talk to him I call him Craig

I think Mr Bowcutt appears rather too formal

That is my opinion

Again,well done Craig
I agree it is a matter of opinion as to how one addresses anyone. Whenever I speak to the mayor in person I call him Jonathan, however, when referring to him on here (public website) I refer to him as Councillor Jonathan Radford-Gaby, out of respect, I therefore apply the same principle with the town warden.
Incidentally, I spent quite a bit of time on the continent years ago where I was taught to refer to everyone as Madam or Sir until invited/indicated to do otherwise, things taught when young, tend to stay with one. Personally I find levels of respect appear to differ between countries, as does rubbish that is deposited in the streets.
[quote][p][bold]telstar1962[/bold] wrote: When I stop and talk to him I call him Craig I think Mr Bowcutt appears rather too formal That is my opinion Again,well done Craig[/p][/quote]I agree it is a matter of opinion as to how one addresses anyone. Whenever I speak to the mayor in person I call him Jonathan, however, when referring to him on here (public website) I refer to him as Councillor Jonathan Radford-Gaby, out of respect, I therefore apply the same principle with the town warden. Incidentally, I spent quite a bit of time on the continent years ago where I was taught to refer to everyone as Madam or Sir until invited/indicated to do otherwise, things taught when young, tend to stay with one. Personally I find levels of respect appear to differ between countries, as does rubbish that is deposited in the streets. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 3

8:51am Mon 21 Apr 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

With the amount of rubbish found in Helston it shows how dirty and lazy some people are, and have little respect for others like Craig that clean it up. meerkats and Gill, you had minus 15 score last night on your comments but I think you are right in what you say. After Katie's comment I have to say I've lost respect in the BIP. "Positive people perfect place" think the BIP needs to scrap that slogan.
Well carry on with thumbs down negative people because it won't take Craig's award away from him.

I am proud to have people like Craig working in the town.
With the amount of rubbish found in Helston it shows how dirty and lazy some people are, and have little respect for others like Craig that clean it up. meerkats and Gill, you had minus 15 score last night on your comments but I think you are right in what you say. After Katie's comment I have to say I've lost respect in the BIP. "Positive people perfect place" think the BIP needs to scrap that slogan. Well carry on with thumbs down negative people because it won't take Craig's award away from him. I am proud to have people like Craig working in the town. Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: -3

6:10pm Mon 21 Apr 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

Helston Rick wrote:
So how often telstar1962 do you talk to Craig? shouldnt he be busy working? you said before youre in Helston seven days a week so do you actually do anything 'positive' for Helston as you dont live here.
Have you GRZM ever done anything positive for Helston. Doubt telstar or you have given one bit to Helston or got the respect of one person so i dont know why you bother being positive either of you. Cllr Haycock is in that pic with friends of the earth, shouldnt she be doing something about Helston lake if she wants to promote friends of the earth, that belongs to Cornwall Council
Councillor Judith Haycock has no jurisdiction over Helston West division, in which Coronation Lake is situated, Helston West is covered by Councillor Andrew Wallis.
[quote][p][bold]Helston Rick[/bold] wrote: So how often telstar1962 do you talk to Craig? shouldnt he be busy working? you said before youre in Helston seven days a week so do you actually do anything 'positive' for Helston as you dont live here. Have you GRZM ever done anything positive for Helston. Doubt telstar or you have given one bit to Helston or got the respect of one person so i dont know why you bother being positive either of you. Cllr Haycock is in that pic with friends of the earth, shouldnt she be doing something about Helston lake if she wants to promote friends of the earth, that belongs to Cornwall Council[/p][/quote]Councillor Judith Haycock has no jurisdiction over Helston West division, in which Coronation Lake is situated, Helston West is covered by Councillor Andrew Wallis. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 5

6:24pm Mon 21 Apr 14

ronedgcumbe says...

I would of thought Councilor Haycock represented the people in her ward manyof which use the lake on a regular basis and are very concerned about recent proposals for.
I would of thought Councilor Haycock represented the people in her ward manyof which use the lake on a regular basis and are very concerned about recent proposals for. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: -2

8:33pm Mon 21 Apr 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
I would of thought Councilor Haycock represented the people in her ward manyof which use the lake on a regular basis and are very concerned about recent proposals for.
We are rather off topic Ron, however, I know Councillor Judith Haycock is aware of concerns raised by residents about the lake, a town councillor has brought it to her attention, I would have thought Councillor Judith Haycock is limited in action as a councillor, regarding the park/lake, as it is not in her ward. If anyone has concerns I would suggest contacting Councillor Andrew Wallis.
I myself frequent the park and lake and therefore am interested in its future.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: I would of thought Councilor Haycock represented the people in her ward manyof which use the lake on a regular basis and are very concerned about recent proposals for.[/p][/quote]We are rather off topic Ron, however, I know Councillor Judith Haycock is aware of concerns raised by residents about the lake, a town councillor has brought it to her attention, I would have thought Councillor Judith Haycock is limited in action as a councillor, regarding the park/lake, as it is not in her ward. If anyone has concerns I would suggest contacting Councillor Andrew Wallis. I myself frequent the park and lake and therefore am interested in its future. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 12

9:01pm Mon 21 Apr 14

meerkats says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
I would of thought Councilor Haycock represented the people in her ward manyof which use the lake on a regular basis and are very concerned about recent proposals for.
Remember the news article is about Craig Bowcutt , and nothing to do with the Boating Lake or Cllr Haycock, the only relevance to her is that she appears in the picture .
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: I would of thought Councilor Haycock represented the people in her ward manyof which use the lake on a regular basis and are very concerned about recent proposals for.[/p][/quote]Remember the news article is about Craig Bowcutt , and nothing to do with the Boating Lake or Cllr Haycock, the only relevance to her is that she appears in the picture . meerkats
  • Score: -11

10:44pm Mon 21 Apr 14

ronedgcumbe says...

Sorry but I think I am perfectly capable of contacting however I see fit.
Surly as Councillor Haycock is cabinet member she is more tham capable of standing up for our town as she should. Her decision is her perogative and at the next election she will have to answer. It is a brave decision to stand for election
Sorry Gill but do not understand you reasoning with councillors responsibilities surly individual councillor responsibilities are there electorate
Sorry but I think I am perfectly capable of contacting however I see fit. Surly as Councillor Haycock is cabinet member she is more tham capable of standing up for our town as she should. Her decision is her perogative and at the next election she will have to answer. It is a brave decision to stand for election Sorry Gill but do not understand you reasoning with councillors responsibilities surly individual councillor responsibilities are there electorate ronedgcumbe
  • Score: -3

8:04am Tue 22 Apr 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Sorry but I think I am perfectly capable of contacting however I see fit.
Surly as Councillor Haycock is cabinet member she is more tham capable of standing up for our town as she should. Her decision is her perogative and at the next election she will have to answer. It is a brave decision to stand for election
Sorry Gill but do not understand you reasoning with councillors responsibilities surly individual councillor responsibilities are there electorate
Ron, anyone is entitled to contact their local councillor who is representing the ward in which they live, or any other councillor. What I am suggesting is to contact the councillor relevant to ones enquiry. Councillor Judith Haycock is cabinet member for health and wellbeing, therefore if I personally had an enquiry about the park/lake situated in Helston West I would contact the councillor representing Helston West and additionally whichever cabinet member whose portfolio includes the responsibility of Cornwall Council owned parks. If you contact Councillor Judith Haycock, will she not just relay the same information you could obtain directly from elsewhere?
However, if you want her to fight as your local councillor, against proposals you may not agree with, then presumably her action would depend on her own views on the proposals and whether or not she believes they are in the best interest for the future running and maintenance of the park.
Hypothetically, if she is a member of any group involved with the future proposals, that may additionally have some bearing on her views.
Choice of councillor for whom you may vote at the next election is your prerogative, there is however no guarantee that any candidate would hold the same views as yourself. I do think a councillor should be listening to the views of those they represent and taking action on those views, particularly if it is a majority opinion, there is however, no knowing what success may transpire if a decision is due to financial restraints, but if one does not try then one will never know!
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: Sorry but I think I am perfectly capable of contacting however I see fit. Surly as Councillor Haycock is cabinet member she is more tham capable of standing up for our town as she should. Her decision is her perogative and at the next election she will have to answer. It is a brave decision to stand for election Sorry Gill but do not understand you reasoning with councillors responsibilities surly individual councillor responsibilities are there electorate[/p][/quote]Ron, anyone is entitled to contact their local councillor who is representing the ward in which they live, or any other councillor. What I am suggesting is to contact the councillor relevant to ones enquiry. Councillor Judith Haycock is cabinet member for health and wellbeing, therefore if I personally had an enquiry about the park/lake situated in Helston West I would contact the councillor representing Helston West and additionally whichever cabinet member whose portfolio includes the responsibility of Cornwall Council owned parks. If you contact Councillor Judith Haycock, will she not just relay the same information you could obtain directly from elsewhere? However, if you want her to fight as your local councillor, against proposals you may not agree with, then presumably her action would depend on her own views on the proposals and whether or not she believes they are in the best interest for the future running and maintenance of the park. Hypothetically, if she is a member of any group involved with the future proposals, that may additionally have some bearing on her views. Choice of councillor for whom you may vote at the next election is your prerogative, there is however no guarantee that any candidate would hold the same views as yourself. I do think a councillor should be listening to the views of those they represent and taking action on those views, particularly if it is a majority opinion, there is however, no knowing what success may transpire if a decision is due to financial restraints, but if one does not try then one will never know! Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 11

9:31am Tue 22 Apr 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

Back on topic, if they have not already done so, I think they should put a picture of Mr Bowcutt with his award in the Guildhall, seeing as he is a member of Helston Town Council staff.
Back on topic, if they have not already done so, I think they should put a picture of Mr Bowcutt with his award in the Guildhall, seeing as he is a member of Helston Town Council staff. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: -5

10:27am Tue 22 Apr 14

meerkats says...

Gillian R.Z. Martin wrote:
Back on topic, if they have not already done so, I think they should put a picture of Mr Bowcutt with his award in the Guildhall, seeing as he is a member of Helston Town Council staff.
That is a lovely idea .
[quote][p][bold]Gillian R.Z. Martin[/bold] wrote: Back on topic, if they have not already done so, I think they should put a picture of Mr Bowcutt with his award in the Guildhall, seeing as he is a member of Helston Town Council staff.[/p][/quote]That is a lovely idea . meerkats
  • Score: -14

7:54am Wed 23 Apr 14

telstar1962 says...

I propose then, that Mrs/M/s Martin write to the Town Council Clerk forthwith,with her suggestion that Craig's photo is suitably positioned in the Council Chamber.

And let us all know the outcome

Thank you

Mr Telstar lol
I propose then, that Mrs/M/s Martin write to the Town Council Clerk forthwith,with her suggestion that Craig's photo is suitably positioned in the Council Chamber. And let us all know the outcome Thank you Mr Telstar lol telstar1962
  • Score: -1

9:06am Wed 23 Apr 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

telstar1962 wrote:
I propose then, that Mrs/M/s Martin write to the Town Council Clerk forthwith,with her suggestion that Craig's photo is suitably positioned in the Council Chamber.

And let us all know the outcome

Thank you

Mr Telstar lol
I will get on to it straight away and let you know the answer, lol
(and Gill will do just nicely thanks)
[quote][p][bold]telstar1962[/bold] wrote: I propose then, that Mrs/M/s Martin write to the Town Council Clerk forthwith,with her suggestion that Craig's photo is suitably positioned in the Council Chamber. And let us all know the outcome Thank you Mr Telstar lol[/p][/quote]I will get on to it straight away and let you know the answer, lol (and Gill will do just nicely thanks) Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: -6

9:44am Wed 23 Apr 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

telstar1962 wrote:
I propose then, that Mrs/M/s Martin write to the Town Council Clerk forthwith,with her suggestion that Craig's photo is suitably positioned in the Council Chamber.

And let us all know the outcome

Thank you

Mr Telstar lol
What Gill doesn't know is it could be the town clerk and Cllrs that are doing all the voting down on here and would be absolutely 'delighted' with a suggestion from her to display a photo of Craig lol
You had four thumbs down before Gill answered you, so someone out there doesn't think asking the town clerk about the photo is a good idea, reckon there's jealousy out there somewhere.
[quote][p][bold]telstar1962[/bold] wrote: I propose then, that Mrs/M/s Martin write to the Town Council Clerk forthwith,with her suggestion that Craig's photo is suitably positioned in the Council Chamber. And let us all know the outcome Thank you Mr Telstar lol[/p][/quote]What Gill doesn't know is it could be the town clerk and Cllrs that are doing all the voting down on here and would be absolutely 'delighted' with a suggestion from her to display a photo of Craig lol You had four thumbs down before Gill answered you, so someone out there doesn't think asking the town clerk about the photo is a good idea, reckon there's jealousy out there somewhere. Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: 9

10:15am Wed 23 Apr 14

krazyitchkatie says...

I think Helston Fly on the Wall is looking for any excuse to 'lose respect for the BIP'

I post on here as myself, not as the BIP, hence I use my username, not a BIP one.

In my personal opinion, I have not seen any evidence of Mr Bowcutt deserving an award, hence my surprise. And of course, it was not his choice to be awarded it so I wouldn't disparage him for that.

However, if he, the town clerk, the council, Cory, Cormac etcetcetc were doing the jobs they were paid for, properly, the volunteers would not be having the hellish job of cleaning the town centre. But that is a grumble for another article.
I think Helston Fly on the Wall is looking for any excuse to 'lose respect for the BIP' I post on here as myself, not as the BIP, hence I use my username, not a BIP one. In my personal opinion, I have not seen any evidence of Mr Bowcutt deserving an award, hence my surprise. And of course, it was not his choice to be awarded it so I wouldn't disparage him for that. However, if he, the town clerk, the council, Cory, Cormac etcetcetc were doing the jobs they were paid for, properly, the volunteers would not be having the hellish job of cleaning the town centre. But that is a grumble for another article. krazyitchkatie
  • Score: -4

10:59am Wed 23 Apr 14

meerkats says...

Helston fly on the wall wrote:
telstar1962 wrote:
I propose then, that Mrs/M/s Martin write to the Town Council Clerk forthwith,with her suggestion that Craig's photo is suitably positioned in the Council Chamber.

And let us all know the outcome

Thank you

Mr Telstar lol
What Gill doesn't know is it could be the town clerk and Cllrs that are doing all the voting down on here and would be absolutely 'delighted' with a suggestion from her to display a photo of Craig lol
You had four thumbs down before Gill answered you, so someone out there doesn't think asking the town clerk about the photo is a good idea, reckon there's jealousy out there somewhere.
Gill gets -5 so far for her suggestion , yet i agree with her and get -14 so far. So my conclusion is that as nearly all my comments on everything i comment on get a large amount of thumbs down, there arent many animal lovers (namely meerkats) out there lol.
[quote][p][bold]Helston fly on the wall[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]telstar1962[/bold] wrote: I propose then, that Mrs/M/s Martin write to the Town Council Clerk forthwith,with her suggestion that Craig's photo is suitably positioned in the Council Chamber. And let us all know the outcome Thank you Mr Telstar lol[/p][/quote]What Gill doesn't know is it could be the town clerk and Cllrs that are doing all the voting down on here and would be absolutely 'delighted' with a suggestion from her to display a photo of Craig lol You had four thumbs down before Gill answered you, so someone out there doesn't think asking the town clerk about the photo is a good idea, reckon there's jealousy out there somewhere.[/p][/quote]Gill gets -5 so far for her suggestion , yet i agree with her and get -14 so far. So my conclusion is that as nearly all my comments on everything i comment on get a large amount of thumbs down, there arent many animal lovers (namely meerkats) out there lol. meerkats
  • Score: 2

11:03am Wed 23 Apr 14

ronedgcumbe says...

As long as the photo and frame are donated I see no problem with decorating the town hall anyway they like.
As long as the photo and frame are donated I see no problem with decorating the town hall anyway they like. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: -3

12:03pm Wed 23 Apr 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

Katie seemed quick enough to me in the past to post on all the BIP articles saying what a wonderful job they were doing, if they want to do something why don't they just get on and do it, they didn't ask for any cheap public help when they were spending thousands on a logo. As for trying to blame the council and everyone else, that's a joke, it has nothing to do with Craig's award. Talk about passing the buck. Craig does a good job and has been recognised for it end of.
Helston is not the only town that has volunteers or groups helping so what's so special about the BIP except they spend thousands of Helstons money wasted on things that other towns don't.
Katie seemed quick enough to me in the past to post on all the BIP articles saying what a wonderful job they were doing, if they want to do something why don't they just get on and do it, they didn't ask for any cheap public help when they were spending thousands on a logo. As for trying to blame the council and everyone else, that's a joke, it has nothing to do with Craig's award. Talk about passing the buck. Craig does a good job and has been recognised for it end of. Helston is not the only town that has volunteers or groups helping so what's so special about the BIP except they spend thousands of Helstons money wasted on things that other towns don't. Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: 6

12:09pm Wed 23 Apr 14

krazyitchkatie says...

Well obviously I support the BIP and their efforts!

But I am also entitled to my own opinion, and I know there are serious failings with respect to the council et al, as there are across the country.

And as for getting on and doing it - erm, that's exactly what we're doing. But it's a sad state of affairs that we are left to do so.
Well obviously I support the BIP and their efforts! But I am also entitled to my own opinion, and I know there are serious failings with respect to the council et al, as there are across the country. And as for getting on and doing it - erm, that's exactly what we're doing. But it's a sad state of affairs that we are left to do so. krazyitchkatie
  • Score: -7

12:44pm Wed 23 Apr 14

telstar1962 says...

meerkats wrote:
Helston fly on the wall wrote:
telstar1962 wrote:
I propose then, that Mrs/M/s Martin write to the Town Council Clerk forthwith,with her suggestion that Craig's photo is suitably positioned in the Council Chamber.

And let us all know the outcome

Thank you

Mr Telstar lol
What Gill doesn't know is it could be the town clerk and Cllrs that are doing all the voting down on here and would be absolutely 'delighted' with a suggestion from her to display a photo of Craig lol
You had four thumbs down before Gill answered you, so someone out there doesn't think asking the town clerk about the photo is a good idea, reckon there's jealousy out there somewhere.
Gill gets -5 so far for her suggestion , yet i agree with her and get -14 so far. So my conclusion is that as nearly all my comments on everything i comment on get a large amount of thumbs down, there arent many animal lovers (namely meerkats) out there lol.
I'm thinking of changing my username to 'FranktheCamel' lol
[quote][p][bold]meerkats[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helston fly on the wall[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]telstar1962[/bold] wrote: I propose then, that Mrs/M/s Martin write to the Town Council Clerk forthwith,with her suggestion that Craig's photo is suitably positioned in the Council Chamber. And let us all know the outcome Thank you Mr Telstar lol[/p][/quote]What Gill doesn't know is it could be the town clerk and Cllrs that are doing all the voting down on here and would be absolutely 'delighted' with a suggestion from her to display a photo of Craig lol You had four thumbs down before Gill answered you, so someone out there doesn't think asking the town clerk about the photo is a good idea, reckon there's jealousy out there somewhere.[/p][/quote]Gill gets -5 so far for her suggestion , yet i agree with her and get -14 so far. So my conclusion is that as nearly all my comments on everything i comment on get a large amount of thumbs down, there arent many animal lovers (namely meerkats) out there lol.[/p][/quote]I'm thinking of changing my username to 'FranktheCamel' lol telstar1962
  • Score: 8

1:25pm Wed 23 Apr 14

meerkats says...

telstar1962 wrote:
meerkats wrote:
Helston fly on the wall wrote:
telstar1962 wrote:
I propose then, that Mrs/M/s Martin write to the Town Council Clerk forthwith,with her suggestion that Craig's photo is suitably positioned in the Council Chamber.

And let us all know the outcome

Thank you

Mr Telstar lol
What Gill doesn't know is it could be the town clerk and Cllrs that are doing all the voting down on here and would be absolutely 'delighted' with a suggestion from her to display a photo of Craig lol
You had four thumbs down before Gill answered you, so someone out there doesn't think asking the town clerk about the photo is a good idea, reckon there's jealousy out there somewhere.
Gill gets -5 so far for her suggestion , yet i agree with her and get -14 so far. So my conclusion is that as nearly all my comments on everything i comment on get a large amount of thumbs down, there arent many animal lovers (namely meerkats) out there lol.
I'm thinking of changing my username to 'FranktheCamel' lol
At least you would have an excuse for getting the hump if negative comments were left !! lol,
[quote][p][bold]telstar1962[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]meerkats[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helston fly on the wall[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]telstar1962[/bold] wrote: I propose then, that Mrs/M/s Martin write to the Town Council Clerk forthwith,with her suggestion that Craig's photo is suitably positioned in the Council Chamber. And let us all know the outcome Thank you Mr Telstar lol[/p][/quote]What Gill doesn't know is it could be the town clerk and Cllrs that are doing all the voting down on here and would be absolutely 'delighted' with a suggestion from her to display a photo of Craig lol You had four thumbs down before Gill answered you, so someone out there doesn't think asking the town clerk about the photo is a good idea, reckon there's jealousy out there somewhere.[/p][/quote]Gill gets -5 so far for her suggestion , yet i agree with her and get -14 so far. So my conclusion is that as nearly all my comments on everything i comment on get a large amount of thumbs down, there arent many animal lovers (namely meerkats) out there lol.[/p][/quote]I'm thinking of changing my username to 'FranktheCamel' lol[/p][/quote]At least you would have an excuse for getting the hump if negative comments were left !! lol, meerkats
  • Score: 0

1:36pm Wed 23 Apr 14

meerkats says...

Getting back to the article , i still think that Craig deserves to be rewarded ,and i also think that the HBIP and all the volunteers who give up their time should give themselves a pat on the back too. Anyone wether they are paid or unpaid who strive to improve Helston deserve recognition and should feel proud of their achievements so far.
Getting back to the article , i still think that Craig deserves to be rewarded ,and i also think that the HBIP and all the volunteers who give up their time should give themselves a pat on the back too. Anyone wether they are paid or unpaid who strive to improve Helston deserve recognition and should feel proud of their achievements so far. meerkats
  • Score: -4

2:27pm Wed 23 Apr 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
As long as the photo and frame are donated I see no problem with decorating the town hall anyway they like.
The decision will apparently be up to the new mayor Councillor Mike Thomas.

The cost of a photo would be negligible if put on a computer and printed out. I would quite happily pay for a frame providing it was not made out of something like gold!
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: As long as the photo and frame are donated I see no problem with decorating the town hall anyway they like.[/p][/quote]The decision will apparently be up to the new mayor Councillor Mike Thomas. The cost of a photo would be negligible if put on a computer and printed out. I would quite happily pay for a frame providing it was not made out of something like gold! Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 3

2:42pm Wed 23 Apr 14

Gillian R.Z. Martin says...

meerkats wrote:
Helston fly on the wall wrote:
telstar1962 wrote:
I propose then, that Mrs/M/s Martin write to the Town Council Clerk forthwith,with her suggestion that Craig's photo is suitably positioned in the Council Chamber.

And let us all know the outcome

Thank you

Mr Telstar lol
What Gill doesn't know is it could be the town clerk and Cllrs that are doing all the voting down on here and would be absolutely 'delighted' with a suggestion from her to display a photo of Craig lol
You had four thumbs down before Gill answered you, so someone out there doesn't think asking the town clerk about the photo is a good idea, reckon there's jealousy out there somewhere.
Gill gets -5 so far for her suggestion , yet i agree with her and get -14 so far. So my conclusion is that as nearly all my comments on everything i comment on get a large amount of thumbs down, there arent many animal lovers (namely meerkats) out there lol.
meerkats I do not think there is any logic applied in the scoring, telstar suggests I contact the council re photo, his score nil, I reply I will, my score currently minus 7.
Apart from the fact telstars comments are always intelligently constructed and mine are not, I could ask why the score difference.
Just ignore the scoring, I enjoy reading your comments.
[quote][p][bold]meerkats[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helston fly on the wall[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]telstar1962[/bold] wrote: I propose then, that Mrs/M/s Martin write to the Town Council Clerk forthwith,with her suggestion that Craig's photo is suitably positioned in the Council Chamber. And let us all know the outcome Thank you Mr Telstar lol[/p][/quote]What Gill doesn't know is it could be the town clerk and Cllrs that are doing all the voting down on here and would be absolutely 'delighted' with a suggestion from her to display a photo of Craig lol You had four thumbs down before Gill answered you, so someone out there doesn't think asking the town clerk about the photo is a good idea, reckon there's jealousy out there somewhere.[/p][/quote]Gill gets -5 so far for her suggestion , yet i agree with her and get -14 so far. So my conclusion is that as nearly all my comments on everything i comment on get a large amount of thumbs down, there arent many animal lovers (namely meerkats) out there lol.[/p][/quote]meerkats I do not think there is any logic applied in the scoring, telstar suggests I contact the council re photo, his score nil, I reply I will, my score currently minus 7. Apart from the fact telstars comments are always intelligently constructed and mine are not, I could ask why the score difference. Just ignore the scoring, I enjoy reading your comments. Gillian R.Z. Martin
  • Score: 0

3:19pm Wed 23 Apr 14

meerkats says...

Gillian R.Z. Martin wrote:
meerkats wrote:
Helston fly on the wall wrote:
telstar1962 wrote:
I propose then, that Mrs/M/s Martin write to the Town Council Clerk forthwith,with her suggestion that Craig's photo is suitably positioned in the Council Chamber.

And let us all know the outcome

Thank you

Mr Telstar lol
What Gill doesn't know is it could be the town clerk and Cllrs that are doing all the voting down on here and would be absolutely 'delighted' with a suggestion from her to display a photo of Craig lol
You had four thumbs down before Gill answered you, so someone out there doesn't think asking the town clerk about the photo is a good idea, reckon there's jealousy out there somewhere.
Gill gets -5 so far for her suggestion , yet i agree with her and get -14 so far. So my conclusion is that as nearly all my comments on everything i comment on get a large amount of thumbs down, there arent many animal lovers (namely meerkats) out there lol.
meerkats I do not think there is any logic applied in the scoring, telstar suggests I contact the council re photo, his score nil, I reply I will, my score currently minus 7.
Apart from the fact telstars comments are always intelligently constructed and mine are not, I could ask why the score difference.
Just ignore the scoring, I enjoy reading your comments.
Thanks Gill , i always enjoy reading your comments too, I think the Packet should run a competition to see who gets the most thumbs down , think i would win with you in 2nd place perhaps? I do ignore it to the fact that it no longer gets me down , there are more important things to worry about than the commenters who vote down nearly all my comments , and i think its quite sad they have nothing better to do..
[quote][p][bold]Gillian R.Z. Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]meerkats[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helston fly on the wall[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]telstar1962[/bold] wrote: I propose then, that Mrs/M/s Martin write to the Town Council Clerk forthwith,with her suggestion that Craig's photo is suitably positioned in the Council Chamber. And let us all know the outcome Thank you Mr Telstar lol[/p][/quote]What Gill doesn't know is it could be the town clerk and Cllrs that are doing all the voting down on here and would be absolutely 'delighted' with a suggestion from her to display a photo of Craig lol You had four thumbs down before Gill answered you, so someone out there doesn't think asking the town clerk about the photo is a good idea, reckon there's jealousy out there somewhere.[/p][/quote]Gill gets -5 so far for her suggestion , yet i agree with her and get -14 so far. So my conclusion is that as nearly all my comments on everything i comment on get a large amount of thumbs down, there arent many animal lovers (namely meerkats) out there lol.[/p][/quote]meerkats I do not think there is any logic applied in the scoring, telstar suggests I contact the council re photo, his score nil, I reply I will, my score currently minus 7. Apart from the fact telstars comments are always intelligently constructed and mine are not, I could ask why the score difference. Just ignore the scoring, I enjoy reading your comments.[/p][/quote]Thanks Gill , i always enjoy reading your comments too, I think the Packet should run a competition to see who gets the most thumbs down , think i would win with you in 2nd place perhaps? I do ignore it to the fact that it no longer gets me down , there are more important things to worry about than the commenters who vote down nearly all my comments , and i think its quite sad they have nothing better to do.. meerkats
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree