The RNLI have released a video of a resue in rough seas and high winds off Lizard Point on Saturday.

The Lizard’s Tamar class all-weather lifeboat Rose launched to help the yacht Marique, which had two people on board, after it suffered rigging damage due to the high winds and rough seas 18 miles south of Lizard Point.

The Lizard lifeboat launched just before 3pm to assist the Lowestoft registered yacht, which was on passage from Bayona in Spain to Falmouth when it suffered a damaged boom and rigging.

The conditions on scene were south westerly gale force eight winds with a "very rough sea and swell" and good visibility.

The lifeboat arrived on scene at 4:15pm taking an hour and twenty five minutes to reach the yacht locating it 18 miles south south west of Lizard Point. The fishing vessel Sparkling Line was standing by the yacht until the arrival of the lifeboat.

A spokesman said: "Once on scene the lifeboat crew quickly realised that although the yacht was managing to motor/sail under its own power but with concern about how much fuel was remaining and the yachts crew were struggling due to tiredness and the sea conditions.

"Lifeboat crew member Darren Thirlaway was transferred on board and set up a towline. The yacht was then towed to Falmouth arriving at 9:40pm nearly five and a half hour later. After making sure the yacht was safely moored alongside a pontoon in Falmouth harbour, The Lizard lifeboat returned to station at 10:20pm." 

The lifeboat crew had been at sea for over seven hours and had travelled over 70 miles.

Coxswain Andrew Putt said: "Conditions were very rough on scene but transferring Darren aboard went very well. The conditions meant we had to take the tow along carefully as the yacht surfed over the top of the towline when we were setting it up. We made good time to Falmouth. The yachts crew were very tired and very pleased to see us."

The lifeboat crew were Coxswain Andrew Putt, Mechanic Steve Tattersall and crew members Darren Thirlaway, Johnny Bray, Nick Tattersall, Nick Hampshire and Simon Fayers