Alfie Hole from Carnon Downs chosen for New York's New School for Jazz and Contemporary Music

Falmouth Packet: Cornish teenage jazz pianist selected to study in New York Cornish teenage jazz pianist selected to study in New York

A young jazz pianist from Cornwall has been hand-picked by New York’s ‘New School for Jazz and Contemporary Music’ to continue his music career alongside some of the world’s leading jazz musicians.

Alfie Hole, from Carnon Downs, has competed against some of the world’s most talented young musicians to win one of only a few worldwide scholarships to the school.

The 19-yera-old former Truro School pupil completed a year’s study at the world famous Berklee College of Music in Boston USA last year.

With the international auditions held in Paris earlier this year, Alfie proved he is one of the best emerging jazz pianists and is heading off to New York in August to be mentored over the next three years.

As a result of his audition, Alfie was awarded the ‘Deans Merit Award’. He was also selected as one of only two recipients (from over 9,000 applications) of the ‘New School for Jazz Competition Award’ which included a creative challenge involving submission of a video explaining ‘why he is New School’.

His video can be seen here

Alfie said he was ecstatic about the scholarships he has won, adding: “This is a dream come true. I have been working so hard to achieve this and to follow in the footsteps of my idols Robert Glasper, Brad Mehldau and Roy Hargrove is surreal. To be based in Greenwich Village, the heart of the New York’s Jazz scene is opening a huge door for me.”

Although Alfie will now get 75 per cent of the tuition fees in scholarships, he still has to raise the remaining 25 per cent.

“Add on to that the living costs of staying in Manhattan for three years and the fact that student loans are not available for study abroad means I still have a way to go,” he said.

He is now working hard in Cornwall playing at prestigious hotels such as The Tresanton, Bedruthan Steps, The Old Coast Guard and Carlyon Bay Hotel but is hoping to find a sponsor to help, saying: “That would be the icing on the cake.”

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree