Helston chosen as 'perfect' place for first Fishermen's Mission charity shop

Falmouth Packet: The charity offered support to Porthleven’s fishermen when their boats had to be removed from the harbour The charity offered support to Porthleven’s fishermen when their boats had to be removed from the harbour

The Fishermen’s Mission has chosen Helston as the place to open its first ever charity shop.

The charity said it planned to open the doors to its Meneage Street branch in late July.

Director of fundraising Alison Godfrey said: “We are really excited to be opening our first ever charity shop. We have been thinking about it for some time but were anxious to pick the right location for us.

“Helston is perfect. We have a very strong presence in the Cornwall area as fishing is such a key occupation for so many local people and their families.”

The charity has been supporting fishermen and their families in hard times for more than 130 years, both financially and pastorally, and has branches across the UK, including in Penzance.

It offered support to Porthleven’s fishermen when their boats had to be removed from the harbour for almost two months, as a result of the harbour walls being breached by waves during February’s storms.

Speaking of the charity’s support as a whole, Alison said: “During the recent winter storms we distributed £119,000 in emergency grant aid to more than 260 local fishermen and their families.

“We met so many fishermen during this time that we knew we needed to raise extra funds to support our work in the area. As we don’t receive any government funding or lottery support every penny is vitally important to us.

“The shop will be an opportunity for the community to help us to support local fishermen.”

She added that it would also provide the chance for people to get involved, by volunteering in the shop for a few hours a week.

Similarly, she said the shop would need items to sell.

“We would be extremely grateful for items that people can spare. Perhaps now the sun is beginning to shine and people are sorting out their summer clothes and putting winter ones away they may have something to spare to help us?” she said.

The charity is holding an open evening for people to offer to help, or to take along donated items, in the Sainsbury’s Café at Helston on Thursday, June 26, between 6pm and 8.30pm.

To volunteer or donate goods call 07917 754349 or email enquiries@fishermensmission.org.uk

Comments (32)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:43am Mon 16 Jun 14

Helston John says...

Might be a good charity but don't know why they thought Helston was the best location, there are already five other charity shops in a town the size of Helston?... Just going to take funds away from them, and the normal shops because charity shops don't pay rates. Hope they don't sell stuff the independent shops sell because they have to pay rates.
Might be a good charity but don't know why they thought Helston was the best location, there are already five other charity shops in a town the size of Helston?... Just going to take funds away from them, and the normal shops because charity shops don't pay rates. Hope they don't sell stuff the independent shops sell because they have to pay rates. Helston John
  • Score: 5

9:47am Mon 16 Jun 14

Helston John says...

"has branches across the uk including in Penzance" how many paid staff are in these branches? and how much does it cost to run these branches? It sounds like a big business to me. Many charities are run as businesses.
"has branches across the uk including in Penzance" how many paid staff are in these branches? and how much does it cost to run these branches? It sounds like a big business to me. Many charities are run as businesses. Helston John
  • Score: 3

10:26am Mon 16 Jun 14

Ian Bennett says...

Helston John wrote:
"has branches across the uk including in Penzance" how many paid staff are in these branches? and how much does it cost to run these branches? It sounds like a big business to me. Many charities are run as businesses.
According to their accounts submitted to the Charities Commission, of their £2,473,703 spending last year, only £70,000 was on Governance. Many so-called charities pay far more than that to a CEO. Expenditure on "Trading to raise funds" was approximately zero.
[quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: "has branches across the uk including in Penzance" how many paid staff are in these branches? and how much does it cost to run these branches? It sounds like a big business to me. Many charities are run as businesses.[/p][/quote]According to their accounts submitted to the Charities Commission, of their £2,473,703 spending last year, only £70,000 was on Governance. Many so-called charities pay far more than that to a CEO. Expenditure on "Trading to raise funds" was approximately zero. Ian Bennett
  • Score: 4

10:41am Mon 16 Jun 14

krazyitchkatie says...

'Welcome to Helston, historic market town, home to tattooed frequenters of takeaways with coiffured hair and dressed in second hand clothes'

Fingers crossed the new clothes store gets the go-ahead for Eddys.
'Welcome to Helston, historic market town, home to tattooed frequenters of takeaways with coiffured hair and dressed in second hand clothes' Fingers crossed the new clothes store gets the go-ahead for Eddys. krazyitchkatie
  • Score: 4

11:22am Mon 16 Jun 14

Helston John says...

krazyitchkatie wrote:
'Welcome to Helston, historic market town, home to tattooed frequenters of takeaways with coiffured hair and dressed in second hand clothes'

Fingers crossed the new clothes store gets the go-ahead for Eddys.
Ha ha that is actually really good Katie.

Just think they need to limit charity shops in a town because they don't pay rates and puts rate paying independents at a diasdavantage. Why don't they go to Truro.
[quote][p][bold]krazyitchkatie[/bold] wrote: 'Welcome to Helston, historic market town, home to tattooed frequenters of takeaways with coiffured hair and dressed in second hand clothes' Fingers crossed the new clothes store gets the go-ahead for Eddys.[/p][/quote]Ha ha that is actually really good Katie. Just think they need to limit charity shops in a town because they don't pay rates and puts rate paying independents at a diasdavantage. Why don't they go to Truro. Helston John
  • Score: 4

11:24am Mon 16 Jun 14

krazyitchkatie says...

Helston John wrote:
krazyitchkatie wrote:
'Welcome to Helston, historic market town, home to tattooed frequenters of takeaways with coiffured hair and dressed in second hand clothes'

Fingers crossed the new clothes store gets the go-ahead for Eddys.
Ha ha that is actually really good Katie.

Just think they need to limit charity shops in a town because they don't pay rates and puts rate paying independents at a diasdavantage. Why don't they go to Truro.
Lol

Don't get me wrong, I love a good charity shop, and I hope they do well, but there are a fair few in town now!
[quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]krazyitchkatie[/bold] wrote: 'Welcome to Helston, historic market town, home to tattooed frequenters of takeaways with coiffured hair and dressed in second hand clothes' Fingers crossed the new clothes store gets the go-ahead for Eddys.[/p][/quote]Ha ha that is actually really good Katie. Just think they need to limit charity shops in a town because they don't pay rates and puts rate paying independents at a diasdavantage. Why don't they go to Truro.[/p][/quote]Lol Don't get me wrong, I love a good charity shop, and I hope they do well, but there are a fair few in town now! krazyitchkatie
  • Score: 5

12:36pm Mon 16 Jun 14

telstar1962 says...

You could say Helston has the best coiffured Estate Agents, Charity Shop workers and Entitled Employees in the whole of Cornwall

What's wrong with Porthleven for this shop ?

Too many objectors, who would rather have yet another restaurant ?
You could say Helston has the best coiffured Estate Agents, Charity Shop workers and Entitled Employees in the whole of Cornwall What's wrong with Porthleven for this shop ? Too many objectors, who would rather have yet another restaurant ? telstar1962
  • Score: 0

1:04pm Mon 16 Jun 14

ronedgcumbe says...

krazyitchkatie wrote:
'Welcome to Helston, historic market town, home to tattooed frequenters of takeaways with coiffured hair and dressed in second hand clothes'

Fingers crossed the new clothes store gets the go-ahead for Eddys.
Thanks Katie you certainly got a chuckle from me.
[quote][p][bold]krazyitchkatie[/bold] wrote: 'Welcome to Helston, historic market town, home to tattooed frequenters of takeaways with coiffured hair and dressed in second hand clothes' Fingers crossed the new clothes store gets the go-ahead for Eddys.[/p][/quote]Thanks Katie you certainly got a chuckle from me. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: -2

1:23pm Mon 16 Jun 14

Gill Z Martin says...

telstar1962 wrote:
You could say Helston has the best coiffured Estate Agents, Charity Shop workers and Entitled Employees in the whole of Cornwall

What's wrong with Porthleven for this shop ?

Too many objectors, who would rather have yet another restaurant ?
Porthleven already has a charity shop which supports a huge variety of causes. For the size of Porthleven, I doubt another charity shop would be sustainable. I do not recall any suitable premises currently available either.

I hope they do well in Helston, I think it is for a great cause, it will fill an empty shop, and everyone has their own choice of charities to support, I am sure all Helstons charity shops will continue to be well supported.
[quote][p][bold]telstar1962[/bold] wrote: You could say Helston has the best coiffured Estate Agents, Charity Shop workers and Entitled Employees in the whole of Cornwall What's wrong with Porthleven for this shop ? Too many objectors, who would rather have yet another restaurant ?[/p][/quote]Porthleven already has a charity shop which supports a huge variety of causes. For the size of Porthleven, I doubt another charity shop would be sustainable. I do not recall any suitable premises currently available either. I hope they do well in Helston, I think it is for a great cause, it will fill an empty shop, and everyone has their own choice of charities to support, I am sure all Helstons charity shops will continue to be well supported. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 0

2:16pm Mon 16 Jun 14

telstar1962 says...

You cannot honestly suggest that one more charity shop in Porthleven would not be viable? There's plenty of disused space in Porthleven, and more than enough visitors and locals (population over 3000) who would support the Fishermen.
You cannot honestly suggest that one more charity shop in Porthleven would not be viable? There's plenty of disused space in Porthleven, and more than enough visitors and locals (population over 3000) who would support the Fishermen. telstar1962
  • Score: -6

2:31pm Mon 16 Jun 14

Gill Z Martin says...

Where is there currently plenty of disused space, suitable and financially viable? I would have thought they have chosen Helston after conducting research as to the best location for them.
Population in Porthleven is irrelevant, I support the Fishermans mission and the Cellar Charity Shop on a regular basis, but I do not live in Porthleven.
Where is there currently plenty of disused space, suitable and financially viable? I would have thought they have chosen Helston after conducting research as to the best location for them. Population in Porthleven is irrelevant, I support the Fishermans mission and the Cellar Charity Shop on a regular basis, but I do not live in Porthleven. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 3

2:48pm Mon 16 Jun 14

Helston John says...

telstar1962 wrote:
You could say Helston has the best coiffured Estate Agents, Charity Shop workers and Entitled Employees in the whole of Cornwall

What's wrong with Porthleven for this shop ?

Too many objectors, who would rather have yet another restaurant ?
As if any objectors would stop it going ahead if it really wanted to go to Porthleven. You say more than enough locals would support it then more than enough locals would be in favour of it and not object.,,,, We get far more people shop here in Helston during the winter than Porthleven when half the places close. There's only about seven fishermen in Porthleven anyway. Bit biased if they picked one fishing port to be based in anyway. What about Coverack,,,,
[quote][p][bold]telstar1962[/bold] wrote: You could say Helston has the best coiffured Estate Agents, Charity Shop workers and Entitled Employees in the whole of Cornwall What's wrong with Porthleven for this shop ? Too many objectors, who would rather have yet another restaurant ?[/p][/quote]As if any objectors would stop it going ahead if it really wanted to go to Porthleven. You say more than enough locals would support it then more than enough locals would be in favour of it and not object.,,,, We get far more people shop here in Helston during the winter than Porthleven when half the places close. There's only about seven fishermen in Porthleven anyway. Bit biased if they picked one fishing port to be based in anyway. What about Coverack,,,, Helston John
  • Score: 6

3:59pm Mon 16 Jun 14

Helston John says...

So how much time does telstar spend in Porthleven I wonder?
How much time does Gill spend in Porthleven I wonder?
Why does telstar ask what's wrong with Porthleven for this shop I wonder?
Does telstar have a personal reason he wonders what's wrong with Porthleven for this shop, I wonder?
Doesn't telstar know how greedy some landlords can be I wonder?
I suggested it went Truro because it just seemed a bigger place to accommodate more charity shops, whereas Helston is struggling at the moment with footfall and the independent shops are struggling.
So how much time does telstar spend in Porthleven I wonder? How much time does Gill spend in Porthleven I wonder? Why does telstar ask what's wrong with Porthleven for this shop I wonder? Does telstar have a personal reason he wonders what's wrong with Porthleven for this shop, I wonder? Doesn't telstar know how greedy some landlords can be I wonder? I suggested it went Truro because it just seemed a bigger place to accommodate more charity shops, whereas Helston is struggling at the moment with footfall and the independent shops are struggling. Helston John
  • Score: 3

5:42pm Mon 16 Jun 14

Gill Z Martin says...

Helston John wrote:
So how much time does telstar spend in Porthleven I wonder?
How much time does Gill spend in Porthleven I wonder?
Why does telstar ask what's wrong with Porthleven for this shop I wonder?
Does telstar have a personal reason he wonders what's wrong with Porthleven for this shop, I wonder?
Doesn't telstar know how greedy some landlords can be I wonder?
I suggested it went Truro because it just seemed a bigger place to accommodate more charity shops, whereas Helston is struggling at the moment with footfall and the independent shops are struggling.
I am in Porthleven three or four times a week during the day or evening only. I do not however see the relevance to your question.
[quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: So how much time does telstar spend in Porthleven I wonder? How much time does Gill spend in Porthleven I wonder? Why does telstar ask what's wrong with Porthleven for this shop I wonder? Does telstar have a personal reason he wonders what's wrong with Porthleven for this shop, I wonder? Doesn't telstar know how greedy some landlords can be I wonder? I suggested it went Truro because it just seemed a bigger place to accommodate more charity shops, whereas Helston is struggling at the moment with footfall and the independent shops are struggling.[/p][/quote]I am in Porthleven three or four times a week during the day or evening only. I do not however see the relevance to your question. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 5

5:42pm Mon 16 Jun 14

meerkats says...

Helston John wrote:
So how much time does telstar spend in Porthleven I wonder?
How much time does Gill spend in Porthleven I wonder?
Why does telstar ask what's wrong with Porthleven for this shop I wonder?
Does telstar have a personal reason he wonders what's wrong with Porthleven for this shop, I wonder?
Doesn't telstar know how greedy some landlords can be I wonder?
I suggested it went Truro because it just seemed a bigger place to accommodate more charity shops, whereas Helston is struggling at the moment with footfall and the independent shops are struggling.
You are doing a lot of wondering !! lol. Although there are already several charity shops in Helston, i think its much nicer to see a shop put to use rather than standing empty.
[quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: So how much time does telstar spend in Porthleven I wonder? How much time does Gill spend in Porthleven I wonder? Why does telstar ask what's wrong with Porthleven for this shop I wonder? Does telstar have a personal reason he wonders what's wrong with Porthleven for this shop, I wonder? Doesn't telstar know how greedy some landlords can be I wonder? I suggested it went Truro because it just seemed a bigger place to accommodate more charity shops, whereas Helston is struggling at the moment with footfall and the independent shops are struggling.[/p][/quote]You are doing a lot of wondering !! lol. Although there are already several charity shops in Helston, i think its much nicer to see a shop put to use rather than standing empty. meerkats
  • Score: 3

6:21pm Mon 16 Jun 14

Helston John says...

meerkats wrote:
Helston John wrote:
So how much time does telstar spend in Porthleven I wonder?
How much time does Gill spend in Porthleven I wonder?
Why does telstar ask what's wrong with Porthleven for this shop I wonder?
Does telstar have a personal reason he wonders what's wrong with Porthleven for this shop, I wonder?
Doesn't telstar know how greedy some landlords can be I wonder?
I suggested it went Truro because it just seemed a bigger place to accommodate more charity shops, whereas Helston is struggling at the moment with footfall and the independent shops are struggling.
You are doing a lot of wondering !! lol. Although there are already several charity shops in Helston, i think its much nicer to see a shop put to use rather than standing empty.
Ah, you wonder why I wonder lol, I wonder because im wondering why telstar seems to want the charity shop in Porthleven and I'm wondering why Gill seems to spend a lot of time in Porthleven? I am wondering why she even likes Porthleven lol?
[quote][p][bold]meerkats[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: So how much time does telstar spend in Porthleven I wonder? How much time does Gill spend in Porthleven I wonder? Why does telstar ask what's wrong with Porthleven for this shop I wonder? Does telstar have a personal reason he wonders what's wrong with Porthleven for this shop, I wonder? Doesn't telstar know how greedy some landlords can be I wonder? I suggested it went Truro because it just seemed a bigger place to accommodate more charity shops, whereas Helston is struggling at the moment with footfall and the independent shops are struggling.[/p][/quote]You are doing a lot of wondering !! lol. Although there are already several charity shops in Helston, i think its much nicer to see a shop put to use rather than standing empty.[/p][/quote]Ah, you wonder why I wonder lol, I wonder because im wondering why telstar seems to want the charity shop in Porthleven and I'm wondering why Gill seems to spend a lot of time in Porthleven? I am wondering why she even likes Porthleven lol? Helston John
  • Score: 2

6:51pm Mon 16 Jun 14

Helston John says...

Gill Z Martin wrote:
Helston John wrote:
So how much time does telstar spend in Porthleven I wonder?
How much time does Gill spend in Porthleven I wonder?
Why does telstar ask what's wrong with Porthleven for this shop I wonder?
Does telstar have a personal reason he wonders what's wrong with Porthleven for this shop, I wonder?
Doesn't telstar know how greedy some landlords can be I wonder?
I suggested it went Truro because it just seemed a bigger place to accommodate more charity shops, whereas Helston is struggling at the moment with footfall and the independent shops are struggling.
I am in Porthleven three or four times a week during the day or evening only. I do not however see the relevance to your question.
Just wondered how much you knew about Porthleven, where's the charity shop Gill? Were you in Porthleven yesterday evening?
If the Fishermans Mission charity shop went to Porthleven they would have to apply for change of use anyway, in Helston there is already an empty shop that used to be a charity shop, so they wouldn't have to apply for change of use.
[quote][p][bold]Gill Z Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: So how much time does telstar spend in Porthleven I wonder? How much time does Gill spend in Porthleven I wonder? Why does telstar ask what's wrong with Porthleven for this shop I wonder? Does telstar have a personal reason he wonders what's wrong with Porthleven for this shop, I wonder? Doesn't telstar know how greedy some landlords can be I wonder? I suggested it went Truro because it just seemed a bigger place to accommodate more charity shops, whereas Helston is struggling at the moment with footfall and the independent shops are struggling.[/p][/quote]I am in Porthleven three or four times a week during the day or evening only. I do not however see the relevance to your question.[/p][/quote]Just wondered how much you knew about Porthleven, where's the charity shop Gill? Were you in Porthleven yesterday evening? If the Fishermans Mission charity shop went to Porthleven they would have to apply for change of use anyway, in Helston there is already an empty shop that used to be a charity shop, so they wouldn't have to apply for change of use. Helston John
  • Score: 0

7:22pm Mon 16 Jun 14

Gill Z Martin says...

Helston John wrote:
Gill Z Martin wrote:
Helston John wrote:
So how much time does telstar spend in Porthleven I wonder?
How much time does Gill spend in Porthleven I wonder?
Why does telstar ask what's wrong with Porthleven for this shop I wonder?
Does telstar have a personal reason he wonders what's wrong with Porthleven for this shop, I wonder?
Doesn't telstar know how greedy some landlords can be I wonder?
I suggested it went Truro because it just seemed a bigger place to accommodate more charity shops, whereas Helston is struggling at the moment with footfall and the independent shops are struggling.
I am in Porthleven three or four times a week during the day or evening only. I do not however see the relevance to your question.
Just wondered how much you knew about Porthleven, where's the charity shop Gill? Were you in Porthleven yesterday evening?
If the Fishermans Mission charity shop went to Porthleven they would have to apply for change of use anyway, in Helston there is already an empty shop that used to be a charity shop, so they wouldn't have to apply for change of use.
Yes, I was in Porthleven Chapel yesterday evening!!!

The Cellar Charity shop is in Fore Street.

I will visit the Fishermans Mission charity shop when it opens in Helston.
[quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gill Z Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: So how much time does telstar spend in Porthleven I wonder? How much time does Gill spend in Porthleven I wonder? Why does telstar ask what's wrong with Porthleven for this shop I wonder? Does telstar have a personal reason he wonders what's wrong with Porthleven for this shop, I wonder? Doesn't telstar know how greedy some landlords can be I wonder? I suggested it went Truro because it just seemed a bigger place to accommodate more charity shops, whereas Helston is struggling at the moment with footfall and the independent shops are struggling.[/p][/quote]I am in Porthleven three or four times a week during the day or evening only. I do not however see the relevance to your question.[/p][/quote]Just wondered how much you knew about Porthleven, where's the charity shop Gill? Were you in Porthleven yesterday evening? If the Fishermans Mission charity shop went to Porthleven they would have to apply for change of use anyway, in Helston there is already an empty shop that used to be a charity shop, so they wouldn't have to apply for change of use.[/p][/quote]Yes, I was in Porthleven Chapel yesterday evening!!! The Cellar Charity shop is in Fore Street. I will visit the Fishermans Mission charity shop when it opens in Helston. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 1

8:00pm Mon 16 Jun 14

meerkats says...

With all thel negative comments about Helston usually its good to see that The Fishermens Mission think Helston is a perfect place to open a charity shop . Hope they do well.
With all thel negative comments about Helston usually its good to see that The Fishermens Mission think Helston is a perfect place to open a charity shop . Hope they do well. meerkats
  • Score: 1

9:07am Tue 17 Jun 14

telstar1962 says...

The most apposite location for a Fishermans Mission Charity Shop is in the Port of Porthleven (the clue is in the name)

Where is the harbour in Helston, or the fishing boats ?

The answer lies in the fact that aesthetically, it doesn't look too good for the up-market image of the Eateries in Porthleven or for the image which a few wealthy landowners want to portray of the Port.

I don't see the logic in saying Porthleven couldn't sustain one more quality Charity Shop, but there seems to be a never ending supply of Restaurants opening every week.

And if population or location has nothing to do with it, why don't they open the Charity Shop at Kynance Cove.
The most apposite location for a Fishermans Mission Charity Shop is in the Port of Porthleven (the clue is in the name) Where is the harbour in Helston, or the fishing boats ? The answer lies in the fact that aesthetically, it doesn't look too good for the up-market image of the Eateries in Porthleven or for the image which a few wealthy landowners want to portray of the Port. I don't see the logic in saying Porthleven couldn't sustain one more quality Charity Shop, but there seems to be a never ending supply of Restaurants opening every week. And if population or location has nothing to do with it, why don't they open the Charity Shop at Kynance Cove. telstar1962
  • Score: -6

11:23am Tue 17 Jun 14

Gill Z Martin says...

telstar1962 wrote:
The most apposite location for a Fishermans Mission Charity Shop is in the Port of Porthleven (the clue is in the name)

Where is the harbour in Helston, or the fishing boats ?

The answer lies in the fact that aesthetically, it doesn't look too good for the up-market image of the Eateries in Porthleven or for the image which a few wealthy landowners want to portray of the Port.

I don't see the logic in saying Porthleven couldn't sustain one more quality Charity Shop, but there seems to be a never ending supply of Restaurants opening every week.

And if population or location has nothing to do with it, why don't they open the Charity Shop at Kynance Cove.
Even if you are right about Porthleven being able to sustain another charity shop, it does not alter the fact there is nowhere as far as I know, and you have failed to name, a vacant premises suitable and with financially viable rent.
I fail to see the connection between restaurants and the objection to a charity shop!
Kynance Cove does not have easy pedestrian access for all abilities or reasonably priced parking facilities. Porthleven is a fishing port, but then so is Mullion, Cadgwith, Kynance etc and Mullion has no charity shops. I would have thought the Fishermans Mission chose Helston as it is busier shopping wise, throughout the year, as opposed to seasonal, additionally due to availability of vacant suitable premises. Helston is the nearest town to the various fishing ports on the Lizard peninsular and therefore I think they will do well in Helston. They obviously seem to think so too, otherwise they would not be going to Helston.
[quote][p][bold]telstar1962[/bold] wrote: The most apposite location for a Fishermans Mission Charity Shop is in the Port of Porthleven (the clue is in the name) Where is the harbour in Helston, or the fishing boats ? The answer lies in the fact that aesthetically, it doesn't look too good for the up-market image of the Eateries in Porthleven or for the image which a few wealthy landowners want to portray of the Port. I don't see the logic in saying Porthleven couldn't sustain one more quality Charity Shop, but there seems to be a never ending supply of Restaurants opening every week. And if population or location has nothing to do with it, why don't they open the Charity Shop at Kynance Cove.[/p][/quote]Even if you are right about Porthleven being able to sustain another charity shop, it does not alter the fact there is nowhere as far as I know, and you have failed to name, a vacant premises suitable and with financially viable rent. I fail to see the connection between restaurants and the objection to a charity shop! Kynance Cove does not have easy pedestrian access for all abilities or reasonably priced parking facilities. Porthleven is a fishing port, but then so is Mullion, Cadgwith, Kynance etc and Mullion has no charity shops. I would have thought the Fishermans Mission chose Helston as it is busier shopping wise, throughout the year, as opposed to seasonal, additionally due to availability of vacant suitable premises. Helston is the nearest town to the various fishing ports on the Lizard peninsular and therefore I think they will do well in Helston. They obviously seem to think so too, otherwise they would not be going to Helston. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 6

12:14pm Tue 17 Jun 14

telstar1962 says...

Good luck to the new venture in Helston

I seriously hope it doesn't take too much trade from British Heart Foundation, Oxfam, Cornwall Air Ambulance, Cancer Funding for Cornwall (Macmillan)

If nothing else, Helston and the Lizard Peninsula can be proud to support worthwhile Charities.
Good luck to the new venture in Helston I seriously hope it doesn't take too much trade from British Heart Foundation, Oxfam, Cornwall Air Ambulance, Cancer Funding for Cornwall (Macmillan) If nothing else, Helston and the Lizard Peninsula can be proud to support worthwhile Charities. telstar1962
  • Score: 2

12:27pm Tue 17 Jun 14

Gill Z Martin says...

The Cancer Funding for Cornwall shop closed a long while ago and is now the charity shop for Children's Hospice South West.

The other side of the coin, is the more empty shops that are filled, the better the town will look, and footfall may increase, therefore more people to support all six charity shops and the independents.
I know when I look in the charity shops for something, I look in all of them.
The Cancer Funding for Cornwall shop closed a long while ago and is now the charity shop for Children's Hospice South West. The other side of the coin, is the more empty shops that are filled, the better the town will look, and footfall may increase, therefore more people to support all six charity shops and the independents. I know when I look in the charity shops for something, I look in all of them. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 3

12:40pm Tue 17 Jun 14

meerkats says...

Dont see the relevance of Helston not having a harbour or fishing boats re the new charity shop , dont expect there are many donkeys/horses in Helston either but there is a charity shop to raise money for the sanctuary which i think is at Ruan Minor.!! . i think most people will visit all the charity shops on the look out for a bargain, so i dont think the established ones will lose trade.
Dont see the relevance of Helston not having a harbour or fishing boats re the new charity shop , dont expect there are many donkeys/horses in Helston either but there is a charity shop to raise money for the sanctuary which i think is at Ruan Minor.!! . i think most people will visit all the charity shops on the look out for a bargain, so i dont think the established ones will lose trade. meerkats
  • Score: 5

3:49pm Tue 17 Jun 14

telstar1962 says...

Oops, silly me for not noticing it's changed. I've been in there a few times and not really noticed.

I do believe though, that there will come a point when certain shops and businesses will reach their limit

eg

Barbers and Hairdressers ~ 20 ?
Pubs ~ 15 ?
Pie and Pasties ~ 15 ?
Estate Agents ~ 10 ?
Churches ~10 ?
Tea and Coffee Shops ~ 20 ?
Dentists ~ 5 ?
Betting Shops ~ 5 ?
Decent Restaurants ~~~ None
Charity Shops ~ 15 ?

There is probably a different limit on the number of establishments in a given sector, until it becomes detrimental to that business

Bring on Scope, AgeUK, Barnado's, British Red Cross, Sue Ryder, PDSA, Marie Curie, MIND, Sense and lol
Oops, silly me for not noticing it's changed. I've been in there a few times and not really noticed. I do believe though, that there will come a point when certain shops and businesses will reach their limit eg Barbers and Hairdressers ~ 20 ? Pubs ~ 15 ? Pie and Pasties ~ 15 ? Estate Agents ~ 10 ? Churches ~10 ? Tea and Coffee Shops ~ 20 ? Dentists ~ 5 ? Betting Shops ~ 5 ? Decent Restaurants ~~~ None Charity Shops ~ 15 ? There is probably a different limit on the number of establishments in a given sector, until it becomes detrimental to that business Bring on Scope, AgeUK, Barnado's, British Red Cross, Sue Ryder, PDSA, Marie Curie, MIND, Sense and lol telstar1962
  • Score: 4

4:40pm Tue 17 Jun 14

Gill Z Martin says...

With an ongoing waiting list for NHS dentists, I do not think Helston will ever have too many of those!

It is not uncommon to have duplication of shops within towns.

Churches do not count, they are not selling anything.
(With the exception of Mullion Methodist Church, where the minister seems inclined to want to sell off the fixtures and fittings)

I would like to see a good book shop in Helston and a music shop.
With an ongoing waiting list for NHS dentists, I do not think Helston will ever have too many of those! It is not uncommon to have duplication of shops within towns. Churches do not count, they are not selling anything. (With the exception of Mullion Methodist Church, where the minister seems inclined to want to sell off the fixtures and fittings) I would like to see a good book shop in Helston and a music shop. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 2

5:06pm Tue 17 Jun 14

Helston John says...

If a shop has things good value for money and listens to what people want then it will survive however many charity shops there are. Williams, Bowdens, Dobles, and others have been in Helston for donkeys years. Like others have said, it's better than an empty shop.
If a shop has things good value for money and listens to what people want then it will survive however many charity shops there are. Williams, Bowdens, Dobles, and others have been in Helston for donkeys years. Like others have said, it's better than an empty shop. Helston John
  • Score: 0

5:40pm Tue 17 Jun 14

Helston John says...

telstar1962 wrote:
Oops, silly me for not noticing it's changed. I've been in there a few times and not really noticed.

I do believe though, that there will come a point when certain shops and businesses will reach their limit

eg

Barbers and Hairdressers ~ 20 ?
Pubs ~ 15 ?
Pie and Pasties ~ 15 ?
Estate Agents ~ 10 ?
Churches ~10 ?
Tea and Coffee Shops ~ 20 ?
Dentists ~ 5 ?
Betting Shops ~ 5 ?
Decent Restaurants ~~~ None
Charity Shops ~ 15 ?

There is probably a different limit on the number of establishments in a given sector, until it becomes detrimental to that business

Bring on Scope, AgeUK, Barnado's, British Red Cross, Sue Ryder, PDSA, Marie Curie, MIND, Sense and lol
Decent restaurants- none, you'll have to pop down to Porthleven then, where you seem to think there are plenty,,,,

I think charity shops should have to pay rates though, because that's the only real unfairness on the independents, competition is ok but it should be fair completion with the independents,,,,, don't think Oxfam should be allowed to sell new goods or the CHSW either. Why can they sell new goods and pay no rates?
[quote][p][bold]telstar1962[/bold] wrote: Oops, silly me for not noticing it's changed. I've been in there a few times and not really noticed. I do believe though, that there will come a point when certain shops and businesses will reach their limit eg Barbers and Hairdressers ~ 20 ? Pubs ~ 15 ? Pie and Pasties ~ 15 ? Estate Agents ~ 10 ? Churches ~10 ? Tea and Coffee Shops ~ 20 ? Dentists ~ 5 ? Betting Shops ~ 5 ? Decent Restaurants ~~~ None Charity Shops ~ 15 ? There is probably a different limit on the number of establishments in a given sector, until it becomes detrimental to that business Bring on Scope, AgeUK, Barnado's, British Red Cross, Sue Ryder, PDSA, Marie Curie, MIND, Sense and lol[/p][/quote]Decent restaurants- none, you'll have to pop down to Porthleven then, where you seem to think there are plenty,,,, I think charity shops should have to pay rates though, because that's the only real unfairness on the independents, competition is ok but it should be fair completion with the independents,,,,, don't think Oxfam should be allowed to sell new goods or the CHSW either. Why can they sell new goods and pay no rates? Helston John
  • Score: 2

5:49pm Tue 17 Jun 14

Gill Z Martin says...

The only criticism I would have, is, the Fishermans Mission are asking people to volunteer or bring in donated items into the Sainsbury's Cafe! We are trying to promote the town centre, is there no venue they could have used in the town? Parking is free after 16:00 in town.
The only criticism I would have, is, the Fishermans Mission are asking people to volunteer or bring in donated items into the Sainsbury's Cafe! We are trying to promote the town centre, is there no venue they could have used in the town? Parking is free after 16:00 in town. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 4

7:03pm Tue 17 Jun 14

telstar1962 says...

Er, if the new charity shop is opening soon in Helston, then why not ask for the donated items to be taken to the shop when the Charity obtains the front door key ?

And if I have understood some comments on here, each time a shop becomes empty, then another Charity shop is ok, just because it is empty ?
Er, if the new charity shop is opening soon in Helston, then why not ask for the donated items to be taken to the shop when the Charity obtains the front door key ? And if I have understood some comments on here, each time a shop becomes empty, then another Charity shop is ok, just because it is empty ? telstar1962
  • Score: 3

7:12pm Tue 17 Jun 14

Gill Z Martin says...

telstar1962 wrote:
Er, if the new charity shop is opening soon in Helston, then why not ask for the donated items to be taken to the shop when the Charity obtains the front door key ?

And if I have understood some comments on here, each time a shop becomes empty, then another Charity shop is ok, just because it is empty ?
I agree with both your points.

I agree with the Fishermans Mission, as there are at present several empty shops, however you are right, they should be limited.
[quote][p][bold]telstar1962[/bold] wrote: Er, if the new charity shop is opening soon in Helston, then why not ask for the donated items to be taken to the shop when the Charity obtains the front door key ? And if I have understood some comments on here, each time a shop becomes empty, then another Charity shop is ok, just because it is empty ?[/p][/quote]I agree with both your points. I agree with the Fishermans Mission, as there are at present several empty shops, however you are right, they should be limited. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 3

8:07pm Tue 17 Jun 14

Gill Z Martin says...

Helston John wrote:
telstar1962 wrote:
Oops, silly me for not noticing it's changed. I've been in there a few times and not really noticed.

I do believe though, that there will come a point when certain shops and businesses will reach their limit

eg

Barbers and Hairdressers ~ 20 ?
Pubs ~ 15 ?
Pie and Pasties ~ 15 ?
Estate Agents ~ 10 ?
Churches ~10 ?
Tea and Coffee Shops ~ 20 ?
Dentists ~ 5 ?
Betting Shops ~ 5 ?
Decent Restaurants ~~~ None
Charity Shops ~ 15 ?

There is probably a different limit on the number of establishments in a given sector, until it becomes detrimental to that business

Bring on Scope, AgeUK, Barnado's, British Red Cross, Sue Ryder, PDSA, Marie Curie, MIND, Sense and lol
Decent restaurants- none, you'll have to pop down to Porthleven then, where you seem to think there are plenty,,,,

I think charity shops should have to pay rates though, because that's the only real unfairness on the independents, competition is ok but it should be fair completion with the independents,,,,, don't think Oxfam should be allowed to sell new goods or the CHSW either. Why can they sell new goods and pay no rates?
Oxfam will have to pay council tax because not all of their money remains in Cornwall. The rules were changed earlier this year. Any charity shop whose money supports something in the county is exempt, those who use money for things out of the county have to pay.
It would in my opinion, be beneficial for any monies made by the new Fishermans Mission charity shop to be used only in Cornwall, as this would render them exempt from council tax.
[quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]telstar1962[/bold] wrote: Oops, silly me for not noticing it's changed. I've been in there a few times and not really noticed. I do believe though, that there will come a point when certain shops and businesses will reach their limit eg Barbers and Hairdressers ~ 20 ? Pubs ~ 15 ? Pie and Pasties ~ 15 ? Estate Agents ~ 10 ? Churches ~10 ? Tea and Coffee Shops ~ 20 ? Dentists ~ 5 ? Betting Shops ~ 5 ? Decent Restaurants ~~~ None Charity Shops ~ 15 ? There is probably a different limit on the number of establishments in a given sector, until it becomes detrimental to that business Bring on Scope, AgeUK, Barnado's, British Red Cross, Sue Ryder, PDSA, Marie Curie, MIND, Sense and lol[/p][/quote]Decent restaurants- none, you'll have to pop down to Porthleven then, where you seem to think there are plenty,,,, I think charity shops should have to pay rates though, because that's the only real unfairness on the independents, competition is ok but it should be fair completion with the independents,,,,, don't think Oxfam should be allowed to sell new goods or the CHSW either. Why can they sell new goods and pay no rates?[/p][/quote]Oxfam will have to pay council tax because not all of their money remains in Cornwall. The rules were changed earlier this year. Any charity shop whose money supports something in the county is exempt, those who use money for things out of the county have to pay. It would in my opinion, be beneficial for any monies made by the new Fishermans Mission charity shop to be used only in Cornwall, as this would render them exempt from council tax. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 6

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree