Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting PKNEWS to 80360
Schools to close across Cornwall as teachers strike tomorrow: DETAILS
Updated 2:37pm Wednesday 9th July 2014 in News
Teachers are set to strike tomorrow, with a raft of schools in Cornwall either closing completely or partially.
Teachers striking over pay, pensions and conditions, with a rally starting from High Cross, Union Place, Truro at noon.
Christine Blower, General Secretary of the National Union of Teachers, the largest teachers’ union said: “Teachers deeply regret having to take strike action. We are aware that this causes problems and disruption for parents and carers. However, despite months in talks with Government officials, the real issues of our dispute over pay, pensions and conditions of service have not been addressed.
“Teacher morale is at a low ebb. Thousands of good, experienced teachers are leaving or considering leaving their job and a teacher shortage crisis is looming. Ofsted itself says that two in five teachers are leaving the profession in their first five years. This is a very serious state of affairs and is a direct result of this Government’s policies.
“Performance related pay is not a suitable for schools, which work in a collaborative fashion. Even Katharine Birbalsingh, Michael Gove’s poster girl for free schools, says that she will not use it in her school. It is open to unfair decisions and will create ludicrous levels of bureaucracy for head teachers as each teachers pay is individually determined on a performance basis.
“While no teacher expects to work 9am to 5pm, many are working 60 hours a week and this is just not sustainable. A lot of this work has been created through bureaucracy and the demands of the Ofsted accountability regime. This is a far cry from creating exciting lessons, which is what teachers want to be doing.
“Expecting teachers to work until 68 for a pension will not only dismay teachers but also parents and pupils. Teaching amongst many other things does require energy and fitness to cope with classrooms of 30 young children or teenagers.
“The fact that teachers are prepared to take strike action is an indication of the strength of feeling and anger about the Government’s imposed changes. The profession is on its knees. Strike action is a last resort but, due to the intransigence of the Coalition Government, it is one which we cannot avoid. Unless our concerns are addressed education will suffer, teacher shortages will worsen and morale in schools will drop even further. Michael Gove can avoid further disruption by engaging in serious negotiations and making changes to policy.”
- Pool Academy will be partially closed. (Open to Years 9 and 10 only)
- St Dennis CP School will be partially closed. (Open to Years 1 and 2 only)
- Camborne Science and International Academy will be partially closed. (Open to Years 10, 12 and 13 only)
- Penair School will be partially closed. (Open to Years 9 and 10 only)
- Newlyn School full school closure.
- Bodmin College full school closure (However, please note that all planned trips and the Year 7 camp will be going ahead as arranged)
- Lanivet School full school closure.
- Penryn College will be partially closed. Open to Years 7,8 and 9 students. Open to Year 10 students who are required to attend. Two Year 9 RE Groups and some students who have been selected to work on literacy activities, parents/carers will receive seperate notfication if this applies to your child. School transport will be available and food will be available. All after school activites are cancelled.
- Coverack School full school closure.
- Tregolls School - an Academy partial school closure.
- Carclaze Primary School partial closure - 2 Classes will be closed, Porthluney (Year 5) and Polzeath (Year 6).
- St Just Primary School full school closure.
- Sir James Smith's Community School full school closure.
- Redruth School full school closure.
- Callington Primary School full school closure.
- Nancleaverne School will be closed to all pupils.
- Lanivet CP School full school closure.
- Constantine Primary School partial closure. Fal class will be closed.
- Mullion School will be open for pupils in Year 9 and 10 and closed to pupils in Years 7 and 8.
- Mounts Bay Academy will be closed for Year 7,8 and 9 only.
- Stokeclimsland School Years 2 and 5 will be open. Foundation stage and Years 1, 3, 4 and 6 will be closed.
- Marhamchuch C of E Primary School class 4 is closed. Rest of the school is open.
- St Stephens Community Academy full school closure however, the ARB will be open.
- Saltash.net Community School will be closed to Years 7, 8, and 9. Open to Years 10 and 12.
- Lostwithiel School - Oak class closed all day, Willow class closed from 1.15pm to 3.15pm and Conker class closed all day.
- Doubletree School S3, F1, F3 and F4 are closed.
- Callington Community College will be closed to Years 7,8,9, and 10.
- Cubert School full school closure.
- Mounts Bay Academy will be closed to Years 7,8 and 9 only.
- Bude Junior School full school closure.
- Curnow School - Post 16, Classes 3,7 and 8 will be closed. Classes 1,2,4,5,6,9 and 10 will remain open.
- Humphry Davy School - Closed to Years 8 and 9 only.
- St Mary's C of E School Penzance open for classes 2 and 3 only.
- Budehaven Community School full school closure.
- Burraton CP School two classes closed- Restormel and Edgcumbe.
- Biscovey Infant School-Nursery am and pm closed and Year 2 Kestrels class closed.
- Pensilva full school closure.
- Delaware CP School full school closure.
- Manaccan Primary School full school closure.
- Wendron CofE VA Primary School full school closure.
- St Agnes School - Partial closure - Class R,1,2 Closed, Class 3,4 Open, Class 5 open afternoon only, Class 6 open morning only.
- Helston Community College will be closed for students in Year 10.Open to students in Years 7,8,9 and 12.
- Alverton Primary School will be open for Ducklings, Owls, Bosigran and Kenidjack classes only.
- Mount Hawke Academy Reception class only closed.
- Dobwalls CP School full school closure.