Thousands of public sector workers in Cornwall, including teachers, council staff, health workers and firefighters have gone out on strike today.
The workers join more than a million public sector workers in the UK who have taken industrial action.
The strike has even hit the ferry between Plymouth and Torpoint. The Torpoint ferry service is suspended until 23.59pm today. Normal service will resume on Friday, July 11. Agreement has been reached to provide an ‘emergency only’ service for ‘blue light’ emergency crossings for emergency vehicles during the strike period. The Tamar Bridge is not affected by the industrial action, and all traffic lanes and toll booths are open.
Firefighters in Cornwall have joined the walkout as thier long running battle over pensions continues. Members of the Fire Brigades Union (FBU) are taking industrial action between 10 am and 7pm. Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service (CFRS) are continuing to respond to 999 calls and says it will do everything it can to keep the public safe during these periods of strike action.
51 schools in Cornwall have reported they will be either fully or partially closed as a result of the industrial action. There are 272 schools in Cornwall – 236 primary, 32 secondary and 4 special schools.
A council spokesman said: “Some Cornwall Council services and facilities may be affected by the national industrial action being organised by trade unions. It is difficult to highlight in advance what impact the potential industrial action will have on the services we provide to members of the public. However we have been drawing up plans to help minimise the impact on any services which are affected."
Union members will meet outside Truro Cathedral today for a rally.
Here is the list of schools closed or partially closed by the strike:
- Alverton Primary School will be open for Ducklings, Owls, Bosigran and Kenidjack classes only.
- Biscovey Infant School-Nursery am and pm closed and Year 2 Kestrels class closed.
- Bodmin College full school closure (However, please note that all planned trips and the Year 7 camp will be going ahead as arranged)
- Bude Junior School full school closure.
- Budehaven Community School full school closure.
- Burraton CP School two classes closed- Restormel and Edgcumbe.
- Callington Community College will be closed to Years 7,8,9, and 10.
- Callington Primary School full school closure.
- Camborne Science and International Academy will be partially closed. (Open to Years 10, 12 and 13 only)
- Carclaze Primary School partial closure - 2 Classes will be closed, Porthluney (Year 5) and Polzeath (Year 6).
- Constantine Primary School partial closure. Fal class will be closed.
- Coverack School full school closure.
- Cubert School full school closure.
- Curnow School - Post 16, Classes 3,7 and 8 will be closed. Classes 1,2,4,5,6,9 and 10 will remain open.
- Delaware CP School full school closure.
- Dobwalls CP School full school closure.
- Doubletree School S3, F1, F3 and F4 are closed.
- Duloe CE VA School full school closure.
- Falmouth School partial school closure. Open for Years 7, 8, 9, 12 but not Year 10
- Helston Community College will be closed for students in Year 10.Open to students in Years 7,8,9 and 12.
- Humphry Davy School - Closed to Years 8 and 9 only.
- Lanivet CP School full school closure.
- Lanivet School full school closure.
- Looe Community Academy. The Academy will be closed to students in the new Year 8 and new Year 9. It will be open to students in the new Year 10 and new Year 11.
- Lostwithiel School - Oak class closed all day, Willow class closed from 1.15pm to 3.15pm and Conker class closed all day.
- Manaccan Primary School full school closure.
- Marhamchuch C of E Primary School class 4 is closed. Rest of the school is open.
- Mount Hawke Academy Reception class only closed.
- Mounts Bay Academy will be closed for Year 7,8 and 9 only.
- Mounts Bay Academy will be closed to Years 7,8 and 9 only.
- Mullion School will be open for pupils in Year 9 and 10 and closed to pupils in Years 7 and 8.
- Nancleaverne School will be closed to all pupils.
- Newlyn School full school closure.
- Penair School will be partially closed. (Open to Years 9 and 10 only)
- Penryn College will be partially closed. Open to Years 7,8 and 9 students. Open to Year 10 students who are required to attend. Two Year 9 RE Groups and some students who have been selected to work on literacy activities, parents/carers will receive seperate notfication if this applies to your child. School transport will be available and food will be available. All after school activites are cancelled.
- Pensilva full school closure.
- Pool Academy will be partially closed. (Open to Years 9 and 10 only)
- Redruth School full school closure.
- Rosemellin CP School full school closure.
- Saltash.net Community School will be closed to Years 7, 8, and 9. Open to Years 10 and 12.
- Sir James Smith's Community School full school closure.
- St Agnes School - Partial closure - Class R,1,2 Closed, Class 3,4 Open, Class 5 open afternoon only, Class 6 open morning only.
- St Columb Minor Academy (Open to the following classes, Starfish, Jellyfish, Limpets, Scallops, Oysters, Whelks, Mussels, Seals and Dolphins all other classes are closed).
- St Dennis CP School will be partially closed. (Open to Years 1 and 2 only)
- St Just Primary School full school closure.
- St Mary's C of E School Penzance open for classes 2 and 3 only.
- St Stephens Community Academy (Launceston) full school closure however, the ARB will be open.
- St Stephens Saltash CP School class 3 closed only.
- Stokeclimsland School Years 2 and 5 will be open. Foundation stage and Years 1, 3, 4 and 6 will be closed.
- Tregadillet Community Primary School partial school closure.
- Tregolls School - an Academy partial school closure.
- Truro Learning Academy partial school clousure. One Year 2/3/4 mixed age class closed.
- Wendron CofE VA Primary School full school closure.