Councillors could hold 'surgeries' in Helston

Councillors could hold 'surgeries' in Helston

Councillors could hold 'surgeries' in Helston

First published in News

It has been suggested that Helston’s three Cornwall councillors could begin “surgeries” once a month to meet with the public.

It was raised by councillor Phil Martin at the last meeting of the town council. He said the Guildhall could be used as a meeting place.

Mayor Mike Thomas said that such a thing had been tried in the past, on a Saturday morning, with little success.

However he added he would be happy to support it and it was agreed to discuss it further informally.

  • Would you attend council surgeries if they were held? Have your say below or email editorial@packetseries.co.uk

Comments (35)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

4:51pm Mon 28 Jul 14

Gill Z Martin says...

Peter Falmouth wrote:
Oh you've started the ball rolling this time John.
I live in Falmouth most of the time but work in and drive around Helston and surrounding areas, I'd go and see Wallis because he doesn't answer emails. He's obviously got no time for the public as he doesn't answer any emails. Just because I don't live in Helston shouldn't make any difference because as a cabinet member he should talk to anyone. I used to be a Cllr and you had to deal with everyone not just those in your area.
You are wrong to say Councillor Andrew Wallis does not have time for the public and does not answer any emails, he has always answered my emails, and I do not live within the areas he represents.
[quote][p][bold]Peter Falmouth[/bold] wrote: Oh you've started the ball rolling this time John. I live in Falmouth most of the time but work in and drive around Helston and surrounding areas, I'd go and see Wallis because he doesn't answer emails. He's obviously got no time for the public as he doesn't answer any emails. Just because I don't live in Helston shouldn't make any difference because as a cabinet member he should talk to anyone. I used to be a Cllr and you had to deal with everyone not just those in your area.[/p][/quote]You are wrong to say Councillor Andrew Wallis does not have time for the public and does not answer any emails, he has always answered my emails, and I do not live within the areas he represents. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 8

6:57pm Mon 28 Jul 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

I think its a good idea what do you think Gill? I would go and speak to Cllr Haycock.
I think its a good idea what do you think Gill? I would go and speak to Cllr Haycock. Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: 2

7:28pm Mon 28 Jul 14

Gill Z Martin says...

Helston fly on the wall wrote:
I think its a good idea what do you think Gill? I would go and speak to Cllr Haycock.
I think the theory of it may be good but not perhaps the practice. For normal Councillors such as Cllr Judith Haycock and Councillor Phil Martin who only represent Cornwall Council, they could probably afford the time, however, would the same apply to Councillor Andrew Wallis, as he not only represents Helston West but also Porthleven and he is a cabinet member which requires extra work load, in addition to which he is a member of Porthleven Town Council and therefore has those meetings to attend.
[quote][p][bold]Helston fly on the wall[/bold] wrote: I think its a good idea what do you think Gill? I would go and speak to Cllr Haycock.[/p][/quote]I think the theory of it may be good but not perhaps the practice. For normal Councillors such as Cllr Judith Haycock and Councillor Phil Martin who only represent Cornwall Council, they could probably afford the time, however, would the same apply to Councillor Andrew Wallis, as he not only represents Helston West but also Porthleven and he is a cabinet member which requires extra work load, in addition to which he is a member of Porthleven Town Council and therefore has those meetings to attend. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 10

8:07pm Mon 28 Jul 14

telstar1962 says...

Isn't it normal for the busiest people to do the most

As is said in the article, this has been tried before. It could be that some individuals may be interested in having on-line chats with their representatives,rath
er than actually turning up to have a face-to-face meetings
Isn't it normal for the busiest people to do the most As is said in the article, this has been tried before. It could be that some individuals may be interested in having on-line chats with their representatives,rath er than actually turning up to have a face-to-face meetings telstar1962
  • Score: 10

8:46pm Mon 28 Jul 14

Gill Z Martin says...

telstar1962 wrote:
Isn't it normal for the busiest people to do the most

As is said in the article, this has been tried before. It could be that some individuals may be interested in having on-line chats with their representatives,rath

er than actually turning up to have a face-to-face meetings
You are right about busy people, my logic may be completely wrong, Councillor Andrew Wallis may think it is a great idea to have extra meetings.

I think holding meetings in the Guildhall is probably part of the reason it was a failure in the past, if people will not enter the Guildhall for council meetings where they could speak to Councillors, then they may not for councillor surgeries, the Guildhall is not an ideal venue either for those with disabilities.
[quote][p][bold]telstar1962[/bold] wrote: Isn't it normal for the busiest people to do the most As is said in the article, this has been tried before. It could be that some individuals may be interested in having on-line chats with their representatives,rath er than actually turning up to have a face-to-face meetings[/p][/quote]You are right about busy people, my logic may be completely wrong, Councillor Andrew Wallis may think it is a great idea to have extra meetings. I think holding meetings in the Guildhall is probably part of the reason it was a failure in the past, if people will not enter the Guildhall for council meetings where they could speak to Councillors, then they may not for councillor surgeries, the Guildhall is not an ideal venue either for those with disabilities. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 10

9:48pm Mon 28 Jul 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

Youve got a point Gill about the Guildhall as a meeting place, i think the cattle market would be better especially for parking for disabled or anyone.
i see Peter Falmouths comments have been removed all over the website, thats good, he put me off commenting much. I suppose they could give the surgeries a try and if theyre not succesful then give them up. I would probably speak to Cllr Haycock but having said that i could just email lol.
Youve got a point Gill about the Guildhall as a meeting place, i think the cattle market would be better especially for parking for disabled or anyone. i see Peter Falmouths comments have been removed all over the website, thats good, he put me off commenting much. I suppose they could give the surgeries a try and if theyre not succesful then give them up. I would probably speak to Cllr Haycock but having said that i could just email lol. Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: 9

11:45pm Mon 28 Jul 14

Lev Repel says...

Gill, "only two normal Councillors" ???

telstar1962, I agree it's been tried before and was not a success.

If the surgeries are only once a month what really is the point, if I wanted an answer to something or to discuss anything I would not want to wait a month, not much point when you can email. If anything, would it not make more sense to email and then if required arrange to meet to discuss further, at a time to suit both, not sure where but not in a surgery situation where everyone turns up at once and listens to your discussion, the police PACT meetings were like that and they fizzled out. If I discuss something with a Cllr I want it private.
Gill, "only two normal Councillors" ??? telstar1962, I agree it's been tried before and was not a success. If the surgeries are only once a month what really is the point, if I wanted an answer to something or to discuss anything I would not want to wait a month, not much point when you can email. If anything, would it not make more sense to email and then if required arrange to meet to discuss further, at a time to suit both, not sure where but not in a surgery situation where everyone turns up at once and listens to your discussion, the police PACT meetings were like that and they fizzled out. If I discuss something with a Cllr I want it private. Lev Repel
  • Score: 10

7:36am Tue 29 Jul 14

Gill Z Martin says...

Sorry, my original post was not suggesting that Councillor Andrew Wallis was not a 'normal' councillor, or indeed just not 'normal'. I just meant his council workload far excelled that of the other two councillors.

Councillor surgeries could be trialled but what constitutes a success? the attendence of one member of the public, or lots. Do all councillors attend all surgeries, or do they take it turns each month? if so, would members of the public have to wait three months to see their local councillor?
How successful was the mayors walk? How many actual members of the public turned up for that to discuss issues with him? or was it the actual walk that deterred them?
Sorry, my original post was not suggesting that Councillor Andrew Wallis was not a 'normal' councillor, or indeed just not 'normal'. I just meant his council workload far excelled that of the other two councillors. Councillor surgeries could be trialled but what constitutes a success? the attendence of one member of the public, or lots. Do all councillors attend all surgeries, or do they take it turns each month? if so, would members of the public have to wait three months to see their local councillor? How successful was the mayors walk? How many actual members of the public turned up for that to discuss issues with him? or was it the actual walk that deterred them? Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 12

8:34am Tue 29 Jul 14

southseabubble says...

Why , when just about every service has been cut to the bone , do we still have three councillors for one small town . Each collecting an allowance and claiming expenses. ?
Why , when just about every service has been cut to the bone , do we still have three councillors for one small town . Each collecting an allowance and claiming expenses. ? southseabubble
  • Score: -5

8:42am Tue 29 Jul 14

Helston John says...

southseabubble wrote:
Why , when just about every service has been cut to the bone , do we still have three councillors for one small town . Each collecting an allowance and claiming expenses. ?
I think Falmouth has five, we need them for the size of the town, and Porthleven and anyway that is not what the article is about, you made it plain on the other article your dislike for Cllr Haycock.

I think the surgeries are a waste of time when people can email and if they want they can specifically arrange to meet their Cllr, or any Cllr.
[quote][p][bold]southseabubble[/bold] wrote: Why , when just about every service has been cut to the bone , do we still have three councillors for one small town . Each collecting an allowance and claiming expenses. ?[/p][/quote]I think Falmouth has five, we need them for the size of the town, and Porthleven and anyway that is not what the article is about, you made it plain on the other article your dislike for Cllr Haycock. I think the surgeries are a waste of time when people can email and if they want they can specifically arrange to meet their Cllr, or any Cllr. Helston John
  • Score: 3

10:20am Tue 29 Jul 14

Gill Z Martin says...

Helston John wrote:
southseabubble wrote:
Why , when just about every service has been cut to the bone , do we still have three councillors for one small town . Each collecting an allowance and claiming expenses. ?
I think Falmouth has five, we need them for the size of the town, and Porthleven and anyway that is not what the article is about, you made it plain on the other article your dislike for Cllr Haycock.

I think the surgeries are a waste of time when people can email and if they want they can specifically arrange to meet their Cllr, or any Cllr.
Helston John, you are wrong, it was Chewie78 that displayed a dislike for Councillor Judith Haycock on the other article, not southseabubble.

They cannot reduce the amount of councillors without a boundary review and this is not due until 2015 I believe.

I agree, I think emails are probably easier and more convenient, with a follow up option of meeting to discuss if the member of public so wishes. When I emailed Councillor Phil Martin he actually offered to meet to discuss, I did however decline at the time.
[quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southseabubble[/bold] wrote: Why , when just about every service has been cut to the bone , do we still have three councillors for one small town . Each collecting an allowance and claiming expenses. ?[/p][/quote]I think Falmouth has five, we need them for the size of the town, and Porthleven and anyway that is not what the article is about, you made it plain on the other article your dislike for Cllr Haycock. I think the surgeries are a waste of time when people can email and if they want they can specifically arrange to meet their Cllr, or any Cllr.[/p][/quote]Helston John, you are wrong, it was Chewie78 that displayed a dislike for Councillor Judith Haycock on the other article, not southseabubble. They cannot reduce the amount of councillors without a boundary review and this is not due until 2015 I believe. I agree, I think emails are probably easier and more convenient, with a follow up option of meeting to discuss if the member of public so wishes. When I emailed Councillor Phil Martin he actually offered to meet to discuss, I did however decline at the time. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 10

4:26pm Tue 29 Jul 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

Why did you decline to meet the Cllr to discuss whatever issue it was Gill? you met with a Helston town Cllr before didnt you?
I think they should get rid of one Helston Cllr and just have two, keep Cllr Wallis because he covers Porthleven and Helston and he actually does things but have a vote between Cllr Haycock and Cllr Martin. Or get rid of both and the Lizard Cllrs and have Cllr Wallis cover Porthleven Helston and the Lizard like the police do. What do you think?
Why did you decline to meet the Cllr to discuss whatever issue it was Gill? you met with a Helston town Cllr before didnt you? I think they should get rid of one Helston Cllr and just have two, keep Cllr Wallis because he covers Porthleven and Helston and he actually does things but have a vote between Cllr Haycock and Cllr Martin. Or get rid of both and the Lizard Cllrs and have Cllr Wallis cover Porthleven Helston and the Lizard like the police do. What do you think? Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: 9

7:44pm Tue 29 Jul 14

Gill Z Martin says...

Helston fly on the wall wrote:
Why did you decline to meet the Cllr to discuss whatever issue it was Gill? you met with a Helston town Cllr before didnt you?
I think they should get rid of one Helston Cllr and just have two, keep Cllr Wallis because he covers Porthleven and Helston and he actually does things but have a vote between Cllr Haycock and Cllr Martin. Or get rid of both and the Lizard Cllrs and have Cllr Wallis cover Porthleven Helston and the Lizard like the police do. What do you think?
I declined to meet with Councillor Phil Martin to discuss, for two reasons, one because it would have been unfair to take up his time when he is not my local councillor and I do not live in Helston, and additionally because by the time I received his email reply I had already got the information I required from elsewhere, I will point out, this is not because he took a great deal of time to respond to my email, it is because I do not do patience and just got a quicker reply elsewhere! for which I was very grateful.

Yes I did meet to speak with a Helston Town Councillor, but the situation was completely different, I was specifically asked.

Yes I agree with you, it would be very good if Councillor Andrew Wallis covered Porthleven, Helston and the Lizard areas, however, I doubt he would think so, nor the councillors that currently cover those areas lol.

It will be interesting to see how well attended these councillor surgeries are if they go ahead.
[quote][p][bold]Helston fly on the wall[/bold] wrote: Why did you decline to meet the Cllr to discuss whatever issue it was Gill? you met with a Helston town Cllr before didnt you? I think they should get rid of one Helston Cllr and just have two, keep Cllr Wallis because he covers Porthleven and Helston and he actually does things but have a vote between Cllr Haycock and Cllr Martin. Or get rid of both and the Lizard Cllrs and have Cllr Wallis cover Porthleven Helston and the Lizard like the police do. What do you think?[/p][/quote]I declined to meet with Councillor Phil Martin to discuss, for two reasons, one because it would have been unfair to take up his time when he is not my local councillor and I do not live in Helston, and additionally because by the time I received his email reply I had already got the information I required from elsewhere, I will point out, this is not because he took a great deal of time to respond to my email, it is because I do not do patience and just got a quicker reply elsewhere! for which I was very grateful. Yes I did meet to speak with a Helston Town Councillor, but the situation was completely different, I was specifically asked. Yes I agree with you, it would be very good if Councillor Andrew Wallis covered Porthleven, Helston and the Lizard areas, however, I doubt he would think so, nor the councillors that currently cover those areas lol. It will be interesting to see how well attended these councillor surgeries are if they go ahead. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 9

8:32am Wed 30 Jul 14

southseabubble says...

Helston John wrote:
southseabubble wrote:
Why , when just about every service has been cut to the bone , do we still have three councillors for one small town . Each collecting an allowance and claiming expenses. ?
I think Falmouth has five, we need them for the size of the town, and Porthleven and anyway that is not what the article is about, you made it plain on the other article your dislike for Cllr Haycock.

I think the surgeries are a waste of time when people can email and if they want they can specifically arrange to meet their Cllr, or any Cllr.
John I am not sure why you mention Councillor Haycock in particular.
I am just a bit surprised that Councillors feel that they are not approachable by letter / emails ,Certainly Cllr Haycock generally replies to emails very promptly.
I do feel a 50% national reduction in the number of cllr's is quite possible.
I can assure you some do very little , and others work tirelessly and deserve their allowances.
[quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southseabubble[/bold] wrote: Why , when just about every service has been cut to the bone , do we still have three councillors for one small town . Each collecting an allowance and claiming expenses. ?[/p][/quote]I think Falmouth has five, we need them for the size of the town, and Porthleven and anyway that is not what the article is about, you made it plain on the other article your dislike for Cllr Haycock. I think the surgeries are a waste of time when people can email and if they want they can specifically arrange to meet their Cllr, or any Cllr.[/p][/quote]John I am not sure why you mention Councillor Haycock in particular. I am just a bit surprised that Councillors feel that they are not approachable by letter / emails ,Certainly Cllr Haycock generally replies to emails very promptly. I do feel a 50% national reduction in the number of cllr's is quite possible. I can assure you some do very little , and others work tirelessly and deserve their allowances. southseabubble
  • Score: -10

10:44am Wed 30 Jul 14

Helston John says...

southseabubble wrote:
Helston John wrote:
southseabubble wrote:
Why , when just about every service has been cut to the bone , do we still have three councillors for one small town . Each collecting an allowance and claiming expenses. ?
I think Falmouth has five, we need them for the size of the town, and Porthleven and anyway that is not what the article is about, you made it plain on the other article your dislike for Cllr Haycock.

I think the surgeries are a waste of time when people can email and if they want they can specifically arrange to meet their Cllr, or any Cllr.
John I am not sure why you mention Councillor Haycock in particular.
I am just a bit surprised that Councillors feel that they are not approachable by letter / emails ,Certainly Cllr Haycock generally replies to emails very promptly.
I do feel a 50% national reduction in the number of cllr's is quite possible.
I can assure you some do very little , and others work tirelessly and deserve their allowances.
I mentioned Cllr Haycock as I thought you'd previously mentioned her on another article but as Gill has rightly pointed out to me on here, I made a mistake and it was not you but Chewie78 that had criticised her on a previous article. As Gill has also rightly pointed out they can't cut the number of Cllrs just like that because of government legislation there has to be a boundary review first and like elections they're not done every year. You're saying some Cllrs do very little and others work tirelessly, I think for you to make this claim you should be prepared to name those you think do very little as we all have different opinions who does very little. But at least with me I'll say why I think it. I think Cllr Haycock did very little and that's why she stood down from the cabinet because she was not doing enough because she's too involved with other things like the museum and the South Kerrier alliance etc and I still think she doesn't put enough effort into her council work, can you name anything she's done or achieved? I can't. Perhaps you'd like to say now who and why you think does very little?
[quote][p][bold]southseabubble[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southseabubble[/bold] wrote: Why , when just about every service has been cut to the bone , do we still have three councillors for one small town . Each collecting an allowance and claiming expenses. ?[/p][/quote]I think Falmouth has five, we need them for the size of the town, and Porthleven and anyway that is not what the article is about, you made it plain on the other article your dislike for Cllr Haycock. I think the surgeries are a waste of time when people can email and if they want they can specifically arrange to meet their Cllr, or any Cllr.[/p][/quote]John I am not sure why you mention Councillor Haycock in particular. I am just a bit surprised that Councillors feel that they are not approachable by letter / emails ,Certainly Cllr Haycock generally replies to emails very promptly. I do feel a 50% national reduction in the number of cllr's is quite possible. I can assure you some do very little , and others work tirelessly and deserve their allowances.[/p][/quote]I mentioned Cllr Haycock as I thought you'd previously mentioned her on another article but as Gill has rightly pointed out to me on here, I made a mistake and it was not you but Chewie78 that had criticised her on a previous article. As Gill has also rightly pointed out they can't cut the number of Cllrs just like that because of government legislation there has to be a boundary review first and like elections they're not done every year. You're saying some Cllrs do very little and others work tirelessly, I think for you to make this claim you should be prepared to name those you think do very little as we all have different opinions who does very little. But at least with me I'll say why I think it. I think Cllr Haycock did very little and that's why she stood down from the cabinet because she was not doing enough because she's too involved with other things like the museum and the South Kerrier alliance etc and I still think she doesn't put enough effort into her council work, can you name anything she's done or achieved? I can't. Perhaps you'd like to say now who and why you think does very little? Helston John
  • Score: 6

11:05am Wed 30 Jul 14

Helston John says...

southseabubble wrote:
Helston John wrote:
southseabubble wrote:
Why , when just about every service has been cut to the bone , do we still have three councillors for one small town . Each collecting an allowance and claiming expenses. ?
I think Falmouth has five, we need them for the size of the town, and Porthleven and anyway that is not what the article is about, you made it plain on the other article your dislike for Cllr Haycock.

I think the surgeries are a waste of time when people can email and if they want they can specifically arrange to meet their Cllr, or any Cllr.
John I am not sure why you mention Councillor Haycock in particular.
I am just a bit surprised that Councillors feel that they are not approachable by letter / emails ,Certainly Cllr Haycock generally replies to emails very promptly.
I do feel a 50% national reduction in the number of cllr's is quite possible.
I can assure you some do very little , and others work tirelessly and deserve their allowances.
I think if they cut the amount of Cllrs in Helston it should be Cllr Haycock to go. Also you say you're surprised Cllrs think they're not approachable by letters/emails, just because Cllr Phil Martin has suggested surgeries doesn't mean he feels he's unapproachable by emails or letters. I personally think surgeries are waste of time but I do think Cllrs should be prepared to meet the public if required by the public. And not only if theyre your own Cllr because other people use other areas, I go to St Keverne so if I wanted to see their Cllr I should be able to. I think Cllr Rule on the Lizard and Cllr Sanger do very little, when do you ever hear of anything about them or their areas, you only ever hear of Helston or Porthleven.

Gill you live in Mullion, what has Cllr Rule done or acheived as a Cornwall Councillor?
[quote][p][bold]southseabubble[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]southseabubble[/bold] wrote: Why , when just about every service has been cut to the bone , do we still have three councillors for one small town . Each collecting an allowance and claiming expenses. ?[/p][/quote]I think Falmouth has five, we need them for the size of the town, and Porthleven and anyway that is not what the article is about, you made it plain on the other article your dislike for Cllr Haycock. I think the surgeries are a waste of time when people can email and if they want they can specifically arrange to meet their Cllr, or any Cllr.[/p][/quote]John I am not sure why you mention Councillor Haycock in particular. I am just a bit surprised that Councillors feel that they are not approachable by letter / emails ,Certainly Cllr Haycock generally replies to emails very promptly. I do feel a 50% national reduction in the number of cllr's is quite possible. I can assure you some do very little , and others work tirelessly and deserve their allowances.[/p][/quote]I think if they cut the amount of Cllrs in Helston it should be Cllr Haycock to go. Also you say you're surprised Cllrs think they're not approachable by letters/emails, just because Cllr Phil Martin has suggested surgeries doesn't mean he feels he's unapproachable by emails or letters. I personally think surgeries are waste of time but I do think Cllrs should be prepared to meet the public if required by the public. And not only if theyre your own Cllr because other people use other areas, I go to St Keverne so if I wanted to see their Cllr I should be able to. I think Cllr Rule on the Lizard and Cllr Sanger do very little, when do you ever hear of anything about them or their areas, you only ever hear of Helston or Porthleven. Gill you live in Mullion, what has Cllr Rule done or acheived as a Cornwall Councillor? Helston John
  • Score: 6

6:47pm Wed 30 Jul 14

Gill Z Martin says...

Helston John, I am obviously not the right person to answer your question as I actually have no idea. I never discuss Carolyn's council work with her. In addition to which, I probably spend more time during the day in Porthleven than I do Mullion.

If Councillor Phil Martin wants to hold councillor surgeries they may possibly be better attended if they were held in a pub or cafe. Having said that, if you need to actually encourage people to attend then perhaps that defeats the object.
Helston John, I am obviously not the right person to answer your question as I actually have no idea. I never discuss Carolyn's council work with her. In addition to which, I probably spend more time during the day in Porthleven than I do Mullion. If Councillor Phil Martin wants to hold councillor surgeries they may possibly be better attended if they were held in a pub or cafe. Having said that, if you need to actually encourage people to attend then perhaps that defeats the object. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 6

10:22pm Wed 30 Jul 14

Lev Repel says...

Oh terrific, we've got Cornwall Cllrs out there that people don't even know what they actually do, if anything.
You should be able to see somewhere what they have done without having to ask them or discuss it with them.

Who else other than southseabubble thinks Helston doesn't need three Cllrs.?
Oh terrific, we've got Cornwall Cllrs out there that people don't even know what they actually do, if anything. You should be able to see somewhere what they have done without having to ask them or discuss it with them. Who else other than southseabubble thinks Helston doesn't need three Cllrs.? Lev Repel
  • Score: 5

8:59am Thu 31 Jul 14

Gill Z Martin says...

I think as Councillor Andrew Wallis covers Porthleven and Helston West, It should be quite feasible for only one councillor to cover Helston North and Helston central/South.
I think as Councillor Andrew Wallis covers Porthleven and Helston West, It should be quite feasible for only one councillor to cover Helston North and Helston central/South. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 5

6:10pm Thu 31 Jul 14

ronedgcumbe says...

Less councillors would mean larger wards and make it more difficult for independent candidates with limited resources to canvas and campaign. We would see a more political council with far less independents elected.
I think Porthleven needs it's own councillor and Helston would happily survive with just the two.
Less councillors would mean larger wards and make it more difficult for independent candidates with limited resources to canvas and campaign. We would see a more political council with far less independents elected. I think Porthleven needs it's own councillor and Helston would happily survive with just the two. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: -10

7:21pm Thu 31 Jul 14

Lev Repel says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Less councillors would mean larger wards and make it more difficult for independent candidates with limited resources to canvas and campaign. We would see a more political council with far less independents elected.
I think Porthleven needs it's own councillor and Helston would happily survive with just the two.
Is that a subtle way of saying you would like to see Cllr Wallis out of Helston as you've never made it a secret of your apparent dislike for him. Your comment is contradictory, if Cllr Wallis only had Porthleven and you only had two Cllrs left in Helston then you would in effect be cutting Helstons Cllrs to two, so in elections your independents you mention would still have larger areas to canvas in. I am sure independents can knock out a few leaflets on a computer at relatively low cost to use for canvasing.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: Less councillors would mean larger wards and make it more difficult for independent candidates with limited resources to canvas and campaign. We would see a more political council with far less independents elected. I think Porthleven needs it's own councillor and Helston would happily survive with just the two.[/p][/quote]Is that a subtle way of saying you would like to see Cllr Wallis out of Helston as you've never made it a secret of your apparent dislike for him. Your comment is contradictory, if Cllr Wallis only had Porthleven and you only had two Cllrs left in Helston then you would in effect be cutting Helstons Cllrs to two, so in elections your independents you mention would still have larger areas to canvas in. I am sure independents can knock out a few leaflets on a computer at relatively low cost to use for canvasing. Lev Repel
  • Score: 15

9:04am Fri 1 Aug 14

Helston John says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Less councillors would mean larger wards and make it more difficult for independent candidates with limited resources to canvas and campaign. We would see a more political council with far less independents elected.
I think Porthleven needs it's own councillor and Helston would happily survive with just the two.
When all said and done, all three Cornwall Cllrs are useless in Helston and so are the town council.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: Less councillors would mean larger wards and make it more difficult for independent candidates with limited resources to canvas and campaign. We would see a more political council with far less independents elected. I think Porthleven needs it's own councillor and Helston would happily survive with just the two.[/p][/quote]When all said and done, all three Cornwall Cllrs are useless in Helston and so are the town council. Helston John
  • Score: 2

9:07am Fri 1 Aug 14

Helston John says...

Are you standing for Cornwall council election next time then Ron?
Are you standing for Cornwall council election next time then Ron? Helston John
  • Score: -1

9:32am Fri 1 Aug 14

Helston John says...

What I can't actually understand is why southseabubble seems to think Cllr Haycock is good, and why Gill seems to think Cllr Wallis is good because when all said and done, Cornwall council are running a dictatorship and none of the councillors are any good.
What I can't actually understand is why southseabubble seems to think Cllr Haycock is good, and why Gill seems to think Cllr Wallis is good because when all said and done, Cornwall council are running a dictatorship and none of the councillors are any good. Helston John
  • Score: -3

9:45am Fri 1 Aug 14

ronedgcumbe says...

Helston John wrote:
Are you standing for Cornwall council election next time then Ron?
Yes I am planning to have another go.
[quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: Are you standing for Cornwall council election next time then Ron?[/p][/quote]Yes I am planning to have another go. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 2

12:09pm Fri 1 Aug 14

Gill Z Martin says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Helston John wrote:
Are you standing for Cornwall council election next time then Ron?
Yes I am planning to have another go.
I did not think you stood for Cornwall Council last time Ron, only the town council? and there has been vacancies since on the town council. I assume you would stand for Helston central, and be up against Councillor Judith Haycock if she stood for re-election?
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: Are you standing for Cornwall council election next time then Ron?[/p][/quote]Yes I am planning to have another go.[/p][/quote]I did not think you stood for Cornwall Council last time Ron, only the town council? and there has been vacancies since on the town council. I assume you would stand for Helston central, and be up against Councillor Judith Haycock if she stood for re-election? Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 5

12:23pm Fri 1 Aug 14

Gill Z Martin says...

Helston John wrote:
What I can't actually understand is why southseabubble seems to think Cllr Haycock is good, and why Gill seems to think Cllr Wallis is good because when all said and done, Cornwall council are running a dictatorship and none of the councillors are any good.
Cornwall Council are not running a dictatorship they are elected and run democratically. If they were running a dictatorship I doubt Ron would be able to join them.
[quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: What I can't actually understand is why southseabubble seems to think Cllr Haycock is good, and why Gill seems to think Cllr Wallis is good because when all said and done, Cornwall council are running a dictatorship and none of the councillors are any good.[/p][/quote]Cornwall Council are not running a dictatorship they are elected and run democratically. If they were running a dictatorship I doubt Ron would be able to join them. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 5

12:37pm Fri 1 Aug 14

Gill Z Martin says...

Helston John wrote:
What I can't actually understand is why southseabubble seems to think Cllr Haycock is good, and why Gill seems to think Cllr Wallis is good because when all said and done, Cornwall council are running a dictatorship and none of the councillors are any good.
I think Councillor Andrew Wallis is a very good councillor simply because he is, he has a 100% attendance record and his achievements and effort are clearly visible in the local area and at county level.
[quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: What I can't actually understand is why southseabubble seems to think Cllr Haycock is good, and why Gill seems to think Cllr Wallis is good because when all said and done, Cornwall council are running a dictatorship and none of the councillors are any good.[/p][/quote]I think Councillor Andrew Wallis is a very good councillor simply because he is, he has a 100% attendance record and his achievements and effort are clearly visible in the local area and at county level. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 5

12:45pm Fri 1 Aug 14

ronedgcumbe says...

Gill Z Martin wrote:
ronedgcumbe wrote:
Helston John wrote:
Are you standing for Cornwall council election next time then Ron?
Yes I am planning to have another go.
I did not think you stood for Cornwall Council last time Ron, only the town council? and there has been vacancies since on the town council. I assume you would stand for Helston central, and be up against Councillor Judith Haycock if she stood for re-election?
You are right Gill it was the first unified election that I last tried for at county.
Not sure which ward at present.
[quote][p][bold]Gill Z Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: Are you standing for Cornwall council election next time then Ron?[/p][/quote]Yes I am planning to have another go.[/p][/quote]I did not think you stood for Cornwall Council last time Ron, only the town council? and there has been vacancies since on the town council. I assume you would stand for Helston central, and be up against Councillor Judith Haycock if she stood for re-election?[/p][/quote]You are right Gill it was the first unified election that I last tried for at county. Not sure which ward at present. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 3

12:46pm Fri 1 Aug 14

Gill Z Martin says...

Helston John wrote:
ronedgcumbe wrote:
Less councillors would mean larger wards and make it more difficult for independent candidates with limited resources to canvas and campaign. We would see a more political council with far less independents elected.
I think Porthleven needs it's own councillor and Helston would happily survive with just the two.
When all said and done, all three Cornwall Cllrs are useless in Helston and so are the town council.
You cannot generalise.
[quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: Less councillors would mean larger wards and make it more difficult for independent candidates with limited resources to canvas and campaign. We would see a more political council with far less independents elected. I think Porthleven needs it's own councillor and Helston would happily survive with just the two.[/p][/quote]When all said and done, all three Cornwall Cllrs are useless in Helston and so are the town council.[/p][/quote]You cannot generalise. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 5

12:52pm Fri 1 Aug 14

Gill Z Martin says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Gill Z Martin wrote:
ronedgcumbe wrote:
Helston John wrote:
Are you standing for Cornwall council election next time then Ron?
Yes I am planning to have another go.
I did not think you stood for Cornwall Council last time Ron, only the town council? and there has been vacancies since on the town council. I assume you would stand for Helston central, and be up against Councillor Judith Haycock if she stood for re-election?
You are right Gill it was the first unified election that I last tried for at county.
Not sure which ward at present.
Thanks for your answer Ron. It will make for an interesting election next time.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gill Z Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: Are you standing for Cornwall council election next time then Ron?[/p][/quote]Yes I am planning to have another go.[/p][/quote]I did not think you stood for Cornwall Council last time Ron, only the town council? and there has been vacancies since on the town council. I assume you would stand for Helston central, and be up against Councillor Judith Haycock if she stood for re-election?[/p][/quote]You are right Gill it was the first unified election that I last tried for at county. Not sure which ward at present.[/p][/quote]Thanks for your answer Ron. It will make for an interesting election next time. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 5

2:58pm Fri 1 Aug 14

Helston John says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Gill Z Martin wrote:
ronedgcumbe wrote:
Helston John wrote:
Are you standing for Cornwall council election next time then Ron?
Yes I am planning to have another go.
I did not think you stood for Cornwall Council last time Ron, only the town council? and there has been vacancies since on the town council. I assume you would stand for Helston central, and be up against Councillor Judith Haycock if she stood for re-election?
You are right Gill it was the first unified election that I last tried for at county.
Not sure which ward at present.
Not much point going for Helston West and Pothleven Ron you don't live in Porthleven. Go for Helston South/Central/town where I live because I'd like to see Cllr Haycock gone, she told people she'd stop the old jail being built on and she didn't and now there's no parking.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gill Z Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: Are you standing for Cornwall council election next time then Ron?[/p][/quote]Yes I am planning to have another go.[/p][/quote]I did not think you stood for Cornwall Council last time Ron, only the town council? and there has been vacancies since on the town council. I assume you would stand for Helston central, and be up against Councillor Judith Haycock if she stood for re-election?[/p][/quote]You are right Gill it was the first unified election that I last tried for at county. Not sure which ward at present.[/p][/quote]Not much point going for Helston West and Pothleven Ron you don't live in Porthleven. Go for Helston South/Central/town where I live because I'd like to see Cllr Haycock gone, she told people she'd stop the old jail being built on and she didn't and now there's no parking. Helston John
  • Score: 3

3:10pm Fri 1 Aug 14

Helston John says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Gill Z Martin wrote:
ronedgcumbe wrote:
Helston John wrote:
Are you standing for Cornwall council election next time then Ron?
Yes I am planning to have another go.
I did not think you stood for Cornwall Council last time Ron, only the town council? and there has been vacancies since on the town council. I assume you would stand for Helston central, and be up against Councillor Judith Haycock if she stood for re-election?
You are right Gill it was the first unified election that I last tried for at county.
Not sure which ward at present.
I lied to Cllr Wallis to get him to put my comment on his blog and see what he'd say , but I live you near Ron and I'd love to see CllrHaycock gone and you take her place, she lives in cloud cuckoo land and you're down to earth. I get fed up with everyone saying how good she is and how good Cllr Wallis is, I want you to replace Cllr Haycock Ron. We'd see a real change in the town then. And you needn't bother with the daft surgeries idea.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gill Z Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: Are you standing for Cornwall council election next time then Ron?[/p][/quote]Yes I am planning to have another go.[/p][/quote]I did not think you stood for Cornwall Council last time Ron, only the town council? and there has been vacancies since on the town council. I assume you would stand for Helston central, and be up against Councillor Judith Haycock if she stood for re-election?[/p][/quote]You are right Gill it was the first unified election that I last tried for at county. Not sure which ward at present.[/p][/quote]I lied to Cllr Wallis to get him to put my comment on his blog and see what he'd say , but I live you near Ron and I'd love to see CllrHaycock gone and you take her place, she lives in cloud cuckoo land and you're down to earth. I get fed up with everyone saying how good she is and how good Cllr Wallis is, I want you to replace Cllr Haycock Ron. We'd see a real change in the town then. And you needn't bother with the daft surgeries idea. Helston John
  • Score: -9

7:17pm Fri 1 Aug 14

DCI Jen says...

Helston John wrote:
ronedgcumbe wrote:
Gill Z Martin wrote:
ronedgcumbe wrote:
Helston John wrote:
Are you standing for Cornwall council election next time then Ron?
Yes I am planning to have another go.
I did not think you stood for Cornwall Council last time Ron, only the town council? and there has been vacancies since on the town council. I assume you would stand for Helston central, and be up against Councillor Judith Haycock if she stood for re-election?
You are right Gill it was the first unified election that I last tried for at county.
Not sure which ward at present.
I lied to Cllr Wallis to get him to put my comment on his blog and see what he'd say , but I live you near Ron and I'd love to see CllrHaycock gone and you take her place, she lives in cloud cuckoo land and you're down to earth. I get fed up with everyone saying how good she is and how good Cllr Wallis is, I want you to replace Cllr Haycock Ron. We'd see a real change in the town then. And you needn't bother with the daft surgeries idea.
Presumably then Helston John, you're the person that placed the anonymous comment on Cllr. Andrew Wallis's blog, criticising Gill, hope you're pleased with yourself.
I hope if Cllr. Phil Martin does hold councillor surgeries that he does not have to endure people lying to him.
I don't think its very intelligent to lie to Councillors.
[quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gill Z Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: Are you standing for Cornwall council election next time then Ron?[/p][/quote]Yes I am planning to have another go.[/p][/quote]I did not think you stood for Cornwall Council last time Ron, only the town council? and there has been vacancies since on the town council. I assume you would stand for Helston central, and be up against Councillor Judith Haycock if she stood for re-election?[/p][/quote]You are right Gill it was the first unified election that I last tried for at county. Not sure which ward at present.[/p][/quote]I lied to Cllr Wallis to get him to put my comment on his blog and see what he'd say , but I live you near Ron and I'd love to see CllrHaycock gone and you take her place, she lives in cloud cuckoo land and you're down to earth. I get fed up with everyone saying how good she is and how good Cllr Wallis is, I want you to replace Cllr Haycock Ron. We'd see a real change in the town then. And you needn't bother with the daft surgeries idea.[/p][/quote]Presumably then Helston John, you're the person that placed the anonymous comment on Cllr. Andrew Wallis's blog, criticising Gill, hope you're pleased with yourself. I hope if Cllr. Phil Martin does hold councillor surgeries that he does not have to endure people lying to him. I don't think its very intelligent to lie to Councillors. DCI Jen
  • Score: 9

7:27am Sat 2 Aug 14

Helston John says...

DCI Jen wrote:
Helston John wrote:
ronedgcumbe wrote:
Gill Z Martin wrote:
ronedgcumbe wrote:
Helston John wrote:
Are you standing for Cornwall council election next time then Ron?
Yes I am planning to have another go.
I did not think you stood for Cornwall Council last time Ron, only the town council? and there has been vacancies since on the town council. I assume you would stand for Helston central, and be up against Councillor Judith Haycock if she stood for re-election?
You are right Gill it was the first unified election that I last tried for at county.
Not sure which ward at present.
I lied to Cllr Wallis to get him to put my comment on his blog and see what he'd say , but I live you near Ron and I'd love to see CllrHaycock gone and you take her place, she lives in cloud cuckoo land and you're down to earth. I get fed up with everyone saying how good she is and how good Cllr Wallis is, I want you to replace Cllr Haycock Ron. We'd see a real change in the town then. And you needn't bother with the daft surgeries idea.
Presumably then Helston John, you're the person that placed the anonymous comment on Cllr. Andrew Wallis's blog, criticising Gill, hope you're pleased with yourself.
I hope if Cllr. Phil Martin does hold councillor surgeries that he does not have to endure people lying to him.
I don't think its very intelligent to lie to Councillors.
No it wasn't me that put the comment on the blog under 'anonymous' saying that Gill hadn't got the bottle to challenge the town councils, it was Cllr Wallis himself. Not going to post under his own name is he.
I put a different comment on.
[quote][p][bold]DCI Jen[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gill Z Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: Are you standing for Cornwall council election next time then Ron?[/p][/quote]Yes I am planning to have another go.[/p][/quote]I did not think you stood for Cornwall Council last time Ron, only the town council? and there has been vacancies since on the town council. I assume you would stand for Helston central, and be up against Councillor Judith Haycock if she stood for re-election?[/p][/quote]You are right Gill it was the first unified election that I last tried for at county. Not sure which ward at present.[/p][/quote]I lied to Cllr Wallis to get him to put my comment on his blog and see what he'd say , but I live you near Ron and I'd love to see CllrHaycock gone and you take her place, she lives in cloud cuckoo land and you're down to earth. I get fed up with everyone saying how good she is and how good Cllr Wallis is, I want you to replace Cllr Haycock Ron. We'd see a real change in the town then. And you needn't bother with the daft surgeries idea.[/p][/quote]Presumably then Helston John, you're the person that placed the anonymous comment on Cllr. Andrew Wallis's blog, criticising Gill, hope you're pleased with yourself. I hope if Cllr. Phil Martin does hold councillor surgeries that he does not have to endure people lying to him. I don't think its very intelligent to lie to Councillors.[/p][/quote]No it wasn't me that put the comment on the blog under 'anonymous' saying that Gill hadn't got the bottle to challenge the town councils, it was Cllr Wallis himself. Not going to post under his own name is he. I put a different comment on. Helston John
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree