Firefighters in Cornwall to strike again

Firefighters in Cornwall to strike again

Firefighters in Cornwall to strike again

First published in News

The Fire Brigades Union has confirmed that its firefighters will be taking strike action between August 9 and 16 as the long running battle over pensions continues.

Strike action will take place between noon to 2pm  and 10.59 to 11.59pm over the eight days, with action short of a strike on August 9 to August 16, from 14.00 to 22.59 and from 11.59pm to noon from August 9 to  August 15. as well as from 11.59pm to further notice on August 16.

Cornwall Fire & Rescue Services (CFRS) chief fire officer Des Tidbury said: “We are developing our contingency plans to ensure we maintain minimum levels of cover during the strike action. The most important thing to remember is that if you do have a fire, get out of the building, stay out and call 999 – you will get an emergency response.

"We will continue to respond to emergency calls and will obviously prioritise those where lives are at risk. Public and fire fighter safety remains of paramount importance and we will give the best service to the people of Cornwall within the limitations of the resources available to us. My message to residents, businesses and visitors is to remain vigilant.”

During these times CFRS is asking people to act on key critical safety messages.

• In the event of fire, you should get out, stay out and call 999 – you will get an emergency response.

• Make sure you have smoke alarms on at least every level of your home

• Smoke alarms save lives, but only if they’re working. Test them regularly

• Stub cigarettes out properly and dispose of them carefully

• Plan your escape route and make sure everyone knows how to get out in a fire

• Take extra care in the kitchen and never leave cooking unattended

• Do not overload electrical sockets. Watch out for faulty and over-heating electrical equipment, and wiring/cables

• Drinking alcohol? Plan how to get home safely without driving.

Prevention advice and guidance has been prepared for businesses and residents on the fire service website.

Mr Tidbury added: “This is a national dispute between members of the Fire Brigades Union and the Government over proposed changes to pensions and is not directed against Cornwall Council or Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service. While the strike action will inevitably have an impact on the services we provide, I want to reassure you that residents in Cornwall will not be left without emergency cover in life threatening situations.”

Comments (6)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:37pm Tue 5 Aug 14

diesel 1 says...

Sack the idle b------s. Give their jobs to people who want to work. Ninety nine per cent of them have second jobs !!
Sack the idle b------s. Give their jobs to people who want to work. Ninety nine per cent of them have second jobs !! diesel 1
  • Score: -8

7:47pm Wed 6 Aug 14

Helston John says...

diesel 1 wrote:
Sack the idle b------s. Give their jobs to people who want to work. Ninety nine per cent of them have second jobs !!
So where are all these people that would have their jobs, they keep advertising for recruitment but not many people seem to want to join. The ones with second jobs are because they are retained firefighters and only go out when called, they arnt in the station all the time. A lot of people are not fit enough to do the job because they're too fat and lazy sat around claiming dole money.
[quote][p][bold]diesel 1[/bold] wrote: Sack the idle b------s. Give their jobs to people who want to work. Ninety nine per cent of them have second jobs !![/p][/quote]So where are all these people that would have their jobs, they keep advertising for recruitment but not many people seem to want to join. The ones with second jobs are because they are retained firefighters and only go out when called, they arnt in the station all the time. A lot of people are not fit enough to do the job because they're too fat and lazy sat around claiming dole money. Helston John
  • Score: 3

3:05pm Thu 7 Aug 14

diesel 1 says...

You must be one of them !!! What a load of crap !
You must be one of them !!! What a load of crap ! diesel 1
  • Score: -5

6:39am Fri 8 Aug 14

Helston John says...

diesel 1 wrote:
You must be one of them !!! What a load of crap !
Talk about dictatorship, you must be a Cornwall Cllr. NO I'm not a firefighter, so shows how mush you know. I've seen notices outside several fire stations saying open day for recruitment and they are repeated so they obviously don't get all the firefighters they need. They do need retained firefighters as well as full time. Your're the only one writing crap on here.
[quote][p][bold]diesel 1[/bold] wrote: You must be one of them !!! What a load of crap ![/p][/quote]Talk about dictatorship, you must be a Cornwall Cllr. NO I'm not a firefighter, so shows how mush you know. I've seen notices outside several fire stations saying open day for recruitment and they are repeated so they obviously don't get all the firefighters they need. They do need retained firefighters as well as full time. Your're the only one writing crap on here. Helston John
  • Score: -4

2:28pm Sat 9 Aug 14

diesel 1 says...

I did not mean a firefighter. I meant you must be fat and lazy and claiming dole money. What would you say if your house caught fire and they would not come out because they are having a cup of tea while on strike. Tea is more important. Wake up and look around. Better still get a job !!
I did not mean a firefighter. I meant you must be fat and lazy and claiming dole money. What would you say if your house caught fire and they would not come out because they are having a cup of tea while on strike. Tea is more important. Wake up and look around. Better still get a job !! diesel 1
  • Score: -12

8:48am Sun 10 Aug 14

Helston John says...

diesel 1 wrote:
I did not mean a firefighter. I meant you must be fat and lazy and claiming dole money. What would you say if your house caught fire and they would not come out because they are having a cup of tea while on strike. Tea is more important. Wake up and look around. Better still get a job !!
I've got a job thanks, I've never been on the dole, in fact I earn quite a nice amount doing shift work.
If you read the article properly you would see it says they will still respond to emergencies and not put lives at risk. Tut tut, you're so busy trying to insult people you've missed the truth in the article.
[quote][p][bold]diesel 1[/bold] wrote: I did not mean a firefighter. I meant you must be fat and lazy and claiming dole money. What would you say if your house caught fire and they would not come out because they are having a cup of tea while on strike. Tea is more important. Wake up and look around. Better still get a job !![/p][/quote]I've got a job thanks, I've never been on the dole, in fact I earn quite a nice amount doing shift work. If you read the article properly you would see it says they will still respond to emergencies and not put lives at risk. Tut tut, you're so busy trying to insult people you've missed the truth in the article. Helston John
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree