Solution found for Porthleven parking problems

Andrew George, David Turnbull, Penny Mordaunt, Damelza Storbeck and Andrew Wallis

Andrew George, David Turnbull, Penny Mordaunt, Damelza Storbeck and Andrew Wallis

First published in News

Porthleven has come up with an innovative way of dealing with its lack of parking - by opening its own low cost car park.

Although the port already has three existing Cornwall Council-run car parks these are often over-subscribed in the summer, in particular the most central car park at Kittos Field, behind the Co-op.

There are also drivers who refuse to pay the council prices and instead try to find free parking in the narrow surrounding roads, causing difficulties for residents.

It is a problem that Helston also struggles with, as both visitors and locals often show reluctance to pay the council car park rates and instead look for free on-street parking or in the residential areas surrounding the town centre.

Now, however, a group set up to promote Porthleven's tourist industry and boost its own economy all year round, could be just weeks away from starting work on a 75-space community car park.

This is set to go on abandoned land at Methleigh Bottoms, specifically the former hard court area of Porthleven Football Club on Mill Lane.

Directors of the Porthleven Regeneration Company intend to keep the parking fees low and although they are yet to determine the actual amounts are looking at in the region of £3 for a day.

The plan could now set an example for other towns to follow and is one that was explained to new communities minister Penny Mordaunt when she visited the port yesterday evening, Tuesday.

Andrew Wallis, a director of the not-for profit company, said: “We're going to keep the cost as reasonable as possible. The money goes back into Porthleven - it's not like it's Cornwall Council, where they have ongoing costs.

“We're trying to have some revenue coming in for community projects; it's about sustainability. There's no point having a free car park because we have running costs.

“It's about a balance of a reasonable price for car parking and bringing revenue in for community based projects in Porthleven.”

It is expected to cost in the region of £25,000 plus VAT to develop and install the ticket machine, with money coming from the £100,000 funding won by the regeneration company for a number of the projects in the port, from the first round of the Coastal Community Fund.

A planning application is about to be submitted and it is hoped that if all goes according to plan the work could start in about eight weeks.

The majority of the land is owned by Coodes Estate, with Porthleven Town Council and Porthleven Football Club also owning shares.

The regeneration company will lease the land, with any profit split 50-50 between Coodes Estate and the not-for-profit company, whose share will go into funding more community projects.

Other projects include buying a marquee, or a series of smaller marquees, for community and commercial use, with all lease fees going back into the project pot.

In the future it is planned to set up a town trail, a Visit Porthleven website and improve the lighting of the Bickford Smith Institute.

Ms Mordaunt met with a selection of other directors of the regeneration company, which is made up of David Turnbull, Demelza Storbeck, Louise Winterton, Mark Berryman and Mr Wallis. Former Helston and the Lizard Community Network manager Charlotte Chadwick was also heavily involved in getting the grant.

Comments (33)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:41am Thu 14 Aug 14

Gill Z Martin says...

Kittos field car-park is actually behind Costcutters, there is no Co-op in Porthleven, but never mind, this is excellent news and will be good for tourists and locals alike. It is £4.50 for 24hrs in Kittos car-park so £3 a day sounds like a good incentive for anyone wanting to stay longer than two hours. I am sure it will boost tourism as Kittos car-park is usually over-full by about 11:00 am in the summer season. Great to know all the initiatives that the money will be spent on are sensible things that will enhance Porthleven.
Kittos field car-park is actually behind Costcutters, there is no Co-op in Porthleven, but never mind, this is excellent news and will be good for tourists and locals alike. It is £4.50 for 24hrs in Kittos car-park so £3 a day sounds like a good incentive for anyone wanting to stay longer than two hours. I am sure it will boost tourism as Kittos car-park is usually over-full by about 11:00 am in the summer season. Great to know all the initiatives that the money will be spent on are sensible things that will enhance Porthleven. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 5

8:38am Thu 14 Aug 14

telstar1962 says...

There's NO ongoing costs, compared to Cornwall Council, that's an interesting concept

It's also quite novel. Out of town parking ! Now, how come Helston hasn't thought of that one.

So, on a typical wet autumn evening, when wanting to get from Methleigh Bottom to the Harbour Inn for a meal and an orange juice. with my brolly in hand I'll pay my £3, and walk for 10 minutes in the rain.
There's NO ongoing costs, compared to Cornwall Council, that's an interesting concept It's also quite novel. Out of town parking ! Now, how come Helston hasn't thought of that one. So, on a typical wet autumn evening, when wanting to get from Methleigh Bottom to the Harbour Inn for a meal and an orange juice. with my brolly in hand I'll pay my £3, and walk for 10 minutes in the rain. telstar1962
  • Score: -7

9:35am Thu 14 Aug 14

Gill Z Martin says...

telstar1962 wrote:
There's NO ongoing costs, compared to Cornwall Council, that's an interesting concept

It's also quite novel. Out of town parking ! Now, how come Helston hasn't thought of that one.

So, on a typical wet autumn evening, when wanting to get from Methleigh Bottom to the Harbour Inn for a meal and an orange juice. with my brolly in hand I'll pay my £3, and walk for 10 minutes in the rain.
The difference with costs would be that Cornwall Council have to pay someone to travel around emptying the ticket machines, this need not happen in this case because the not-for-profit company are based in Porthleven and therefore will empty their own machine.
On a typical wet autumn evening you would more likely find a space on the harbour close to the Harbour Inn or in Kittos car-park, I frequently have, and Kittos car-park is free after 16:00 hrs. Alternatively you could park on Peverell Terrace and have a nice meal in the Atlantic Inn!
[quote][p][bold]telstar1962[/bold] wrote: There's NO ongoing costs, compared to Cornwall Council, that's an interesting concept It's also quite novel. Out of town parking ! Now, how come Helston hasn't thought of that one. So, on a typical wet autumn evening, when wanting to get from Methleigh Bottom to the Harbour Inn for a meal and an orange juice. with my brolly in hand I'll pay my £3, and walk for 10 minutes in the rain.[/p][/quote]The difference with costs would be that Cornwall Council have to pay someone to travel around emptying the ticket machines, this need not happen in this case because the not-for-profit company are based in Porthleven and therefore will empty their own machine. On a typical wet autumn evening you would more likely find a space on the harbour close to the Harbour Inn or in Kittos car-park, I frequently have, and Kittos car-park is free after 16:00 hrs. Alternatively you could park on Peverell Terrace and have a nice meal in the Atlantic Inn! Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 3

11:52am Thu 14 Aug 14

Helston John says...

So why didn't Helston get this £100,000? And wouldn't it be better to only charge £2 all day for the Methleigh Bottoms car park.
So why didn't Helston get this £100,000? And wouldn't it be better to only charge £2 all day for the Methleigh Bottoms car park. Helston John
  • Score: -4

4:10pm Thu 14 Aug 14

telstar1962 says...

HJ, Helston got £800,000, but hasn't got any abandoned land on which to stick 100 car park spaces, because that's where the supermarkets were built on.

Well done to the personnel who devote so much time and energy into procuring all this free money.

Other Towns have 'Park and Ride'
Porthleven have 'Park and Walk' lol
HJ, Helston got £800,000, but hasn't got any abandoned land on which to stick 100 car park spaces, because that's where the supermarkets were built on. Well done to the personnel who devote so much time and energy into procuring all this free money. Other Towns have 'Park and Ride' Porthleven have 'Park and Walk' lol telstar1962
  • Score: -6

4:53pm Thu 14 Aug 14

Gill Z Martin says...

Helston John wrote:
So why didn't Helston get this £100,000? And wouldn't it be better to only charge £2 all day for the Methleigh Bottoms car park.
If they only charged £2 a day there would probably be less money with which to invest back into the company to eventually spend on other beneficial projects for Porthleven. Helston did not get the £100,000 because it was a coastal community funding bid and therefore were ineligible. I think they have had their share of money in any case.
[quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: So why didn't Helston get this £100,000? And wouldn't it be better to only charge £2 all day for the Methleigh Bottoms car park.[/p][/quote]If they only charged £2 a day there would probably be less money with which to invest back into the company to eventually spend on other beneficial projects for Porthleven. Helston did not get the £100,000 because it was a coastal community funding bid and therefore were ineligible. I think they have had their share of money in any case. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 5

5:02pm Thu 14 Aug 14

Gill Z Martin says...

telstar1962 wrote:
HJ, Helston got £800,000, but hasn't got any abandoned land on which to stick 100 car park spaces, because that's where the supermarkets were built on.

Well done to the personnel who devote so much time and energy into procuring all this free money.

Other Towns have 'Park and Ride'
Porthleven have 'Park and Walk' lol
Ah, but it is not far to walk, and if one so chooses, they could cut through the footpath adjacent to Costcutters, and pick up some shopping whilst they are there, some people that are parking in the residential areas do this anyway.
[quote][p][bold]telstar1962[/bold] wrote: HJ, Helston got £800,000, but hasn't got any abandoned land on which to stick 100 car park spaces, because that's where the supermarkets were built on. Well done to the personnel who devote so much time and energy into procuring all this free money. Other Towns have 'Park and Ride' Porthleven have 'Park and Walk' lol[/p][/quote]Ah, but it is not far to walk, and if one so chooses, they could cut through the footpath adjacent to Costcutters, and pick up some shopping whilst they are there, some people that are parking in the residential areas do this anyway. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 3

2:40pm Fri 15 Aug 14

Helston John says...

telstar1962 wrote:
There's NO ongoing costs, compared to Cornwall Council, that's an interesting concept

It's also quite novel. Out of town parking ! Now, how come Helston hasn't thought of that one.

So, on a typical wet autumn evening, when wanting to get from Methleigh Bottom to the Harbour Inn for a meal and an orange juice. with my brolly in hand I'll pay my £3, and walk for 10 minutes in the rain.
And there you were on another article saying people are lazy and should walk more, and how you like to park your car at Tescos for free and walk into town making sure you kept to your allotted time.
[quote][p][bold]telstar1962[/bold] wrote: There's NO ongoing costs, compared to Cornwall Council, that's an interesting concept It's also quite novel. Out of town parking ! Now, how come Helston hasn't thought of that one. So, on a typical wet autumn evening, when wanting to get from Methleigh Bottom to the Harbour Inn for a meal and an orange juice. with my brolly in hand I'll pay my £3, and walk for 10 minutes in the rain.[/p][/quote]And there you were on another article saying people are lazy and should walk more, and how you like to park your car at Tescos for free and walk into town making sure you kept to your allotted time. Helston John
  • Score: 3

5:34pm Fri 15 Aug 14

telstar1962 says...

And what will the on-going costs be of maintaining, ensuring the fees are paid.

If they employ the lovely people from Praa Sands to police the payments, they could make it pay for itself.

That's right John, people are generally lazy. When did you last go for a 10 mile walk? lol
And what will the on-going costs be of maintaining, ensuring the fees are paid. If they employ the lovely people from Praa Sands to police the payments, they could make it pay for itself. That's right John, people are generally lazy. When did you last go for a 10 mile walk? lol telstar1962
  • Score: -3

7:49pm Fri 15 Aug 14

Gill Z Martin says...

telstar1962 wrote:
And what will the on-going costs be of maintaining, ensuring the fees are paid.

If they employ the lovely people from Praa Sands to police the payments, they could make it pay for itself.

That's right John, people are generally lazy. When did you last go for a 10 mile walk? lol
The on-going costs will be covered by the parking charges. I cannot imagine them using wheel clamping as is the case at Praa Sands, if they did I would not park there, I have never had a vehicle wheel clamped but will not park anywhere that operates that policy, on principle. I managed to park legitimately in Kittos this evening, but parking is manic in Porthleven this evening with many cars making extra unofficial spaces in the car-park, so I am sure the new car-park will be well used. They just need to make sure they have good signage for it, and preferably near Kittos car-park as well, directing them to the Methleigh Bottoms one. It would need to be free or cheaper than £3 after 16:00 though, or else people would still opt for Kittos or the residential areas.
[quote][p][bold]telstar1962[/bold] wrote: And what will the on-going costs be of maintaining, ensuring the fees are paid. If they employ the lovely people from Praa Sands to police the payments, they could make it pay for itself. That's right John, people are generally lazy. When did you last go for a 10 mile walk? lol[/p][/quote]The on-going costs will be covered by the parking charges. I cannot imagine them using wheel clamping as is the case at Praa Sands, if they did I would not park there, I have never had a vehicle wheel clamped but will not park anywhere that operates that policy, on principle. I managed to park legitimately in Kittos this evening, but parking is manic in Porthleven this evening with many cars making extra unofficial spaces in the car-park, so I am sure the new car-park will be well used. They just need to make sure they have good signage for it, and preferably near Kittos car-park as well, directing them to the Methleigh Bottoms one. It would need to be free or cheaper than £3 after 16:00 though, or else people would still opt for Kittos or the residential areas. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 4

9:51pm Fri 15 Aug 14

Helston John says...

telstar1962 wrote:
And what will the on-going costs be of maintaining, ensuring the fees are paid.

If they employ the lovely people from Praa Sands to police the payments, they could make it pay for itself.

That's right John, people are generally lazy. When did you last go for a 10 mile walk? lol
I don't want to go for a ten mile walk but then I'm not the one moaning about walking from Methleigh car park to the pub on a wet autumn eve, and saying I like walking from Tescos into the town. I very rarely go Porthleven anyway, don't like it's Cornwall Cllr or the fact it's privately owned. Wouldn't mind doing a bit of wheel clamping down there though for them, I'd start with all the Cllrs cars.
[quote][p][bold]telstar1962[/bold] wrote: And what will the on-going costs be of maintaining, ensuring the fees are paid. If they employ the lovely people from Praa Sands to police the payments, they could make it pay for itself. That's right John, people are generally lazy. When did you last go for a 10 mile walk? lol[/p][/quote]I don't want to go for a ten mile walk but then I'm not the one moaning about walking from Methleigh car park to the pub on a wet autumn eve, and saying I like walking from Tescos into the town. I very rarely go Porthleven anyway, don't like it's Cornwall Cllr or the fact it's privately owned. Wouldn't mind doing a bit of wheel clamping down there though for them, I'd start with all the Cllrs cars. Helston John
  • Score: 2

11:48am Sat 16 Aug 14

telstar1962 says...

For your information in 2012 wheel-clampers have been outlawed from clamping vehicles on private land under new legislation in England and Wales, bringing England and Wales under the same rules which have applied in Scotland since the early 1990's

My reference to Praa Sands in relation to Porthleven is to bring to your attention the heavy-handed and unfriendly manner in which a nearby Private Land owner/ retired Banker, manages his car-park and the tactic of employing local enforcers, lying in wait, to collect monies from unsuspecting parkers who happen to outstay their 'welcome' by a few minutes. But hopefully this sort of behaviour will not be employed by the not-for-profit company, and they may even display Welcome to Porthleven signs in the car-park, contrary to Sydney Cove

I fear that with the popularity of all the new trendy Bistro's in Port, car parking space will be at a premium in July and August, and they will be looking for even more parking spaces in due course.

Logo for Porthleven ?

'Welcome to our Port, where it's easy to Park and Walk'



A new logo for the hip and trendy Port could be
For your information in 2012 wheel-clampers have been outlawed from clamping vehicles on private land under new legislation in England and Wales, bringing England and Wales under the same rules which have applied in Scotland since the early 1990's My reference to Praa Sands in relation to Porthleven is to bring to your attention the heavy-handed and unfriendly manner in which a nearby Private Land owner/ retired Banker, manages his car-park and the tactic of employing local enforcers, lying in wait, to collect monies from unsuspecting parkers who happen to outstay their 'welcome' by a few minutes. But hopefully this sort of behaviour will not be employed by the not-for-profit company, and they may even display Welcome to Porthleven signs in the car-park, contrary to Sydney Cove I fear that with the popularity of all the new trendy Bistro's in Port, car parking space will be at a premium in July and August, and they will be looking for even more parking spaces in due course. Logo for Porthleven ? 'Welcome to our Port, where it's easy to Park and Walk' A new logo for the hip and trendy Port could be telstar1962
  • Score: 4

1:14pm Sat 16 Aug 14

Gill Z Martin says...

telstar1962 wrote:
For your information in 2012 wheel-clampers have been outlawed from clamping vehicles on private land under new legislation in England and Wales, bringing England and Wales under the same rules which have applied in Scotland since the early 1990's

My reference to Praa Sands in relation to Porthleven is to bring to your attention the heavy-handed and unfriendly manner in which a nearby Private Land owner/ retired Banker, manages his car-park and the tactic of employing local enforcers, lying in wait, to collect monies from unsuspecting parkers who happen to outstay their 'welcome' by a few minutes. But hopefully this sort of behaviour will not be employed by the not-for-profit company, and they may even display Welcome to Porthleven signs in the car-park, contrary to Sydney Cove

I fear that with the popularity of all the new trendy Bistro's in Port, car parking space will be at a premium in July and August, and they will be looking for even more parking spaces in due course.

Logo for Porthleven ?

'Welcome to our Port, where it's easy to Park and Walk'



A new logo for the hip and trendy Port could be
I did think wheel clamping had been outlawed but was not sure, so thank you for the information. I have not been to Praa Sands ever since my son was taken away by ambulance there and I was left to remove two cars from the car park when wheel clamping was in force. (Yes I am insured to drive any vehicle)

Personally I prefer the Harbour Inn and The Atlantic Inn.

They could have an honesty box in the car-park on trial, as opposed to a machine that would need maintenance, and see if people are honest, if they then find it does not pay, then have a ticket machine installed. Mullion get a substantial amount from their honesty box.
[quote][p][bold]telstar1962[/bold] wrote: For your information in 2012 wheel-clampers have been outlawed from clamping vehicles on private land under new legislation in England and Wales, bringing England and Wales under the same rules which have applied in Scotland since the early 1990's My reference to Praa Sands in relation to Porthleven is to bring to your attention the heavy-handed and unfriendly manner in which a nearby Private Land owner/ retired Banker, manages his car-park and the tactic of employing local enforcers, lying in wait, to collect monies from unsuspecting parkers who happen to outstay their 'welcome' by a few minutes. But hopefully this sort of behaviour will not be employed by the not-for-profit company, and they may even display Welcome to Porthleven signs in the car-park, contrary to Sydney Cove I fear that with the popularity of all the new trendy Bistro's in Port, car parking space will be at a premium in July and August, and they will be looking for even more parking spaces in due course. Logo for Porthleven ? 'Welcome to our Port, where it's easy to Park and Walk' A new logo for the hip and trendy Port could be[/p][/quote]I did think wheel clamping had been outlawed but was not sure, so thank you for the information. I have not been to Praa Sands ever since my son was taken away by ambulance there and I was left to remove two cars from the car park when wheel clamping was in force. (Yes I am insured to drive any vehicle) Personally I prefer the Harbour Inn and The Atlantic Inn. They could have an honesty box in the car-park on trial, as opposed to a machine that would need maintenance, and see if people are honest, if they then find it does not pay, then have a ticket machine installed. Mullion get a substantial amount from their honesty box. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 3

1:31pm Sat 16 Aug 14

Gill Z Martin says...

Helston John wrote:
telstar1962 wrote:
And what will the on-going costs be of maintaining, ensuring the fees are paid.

If they employ the lovely people from Praa Sands to police the payments, they could make it pay for itself.

That's right John, people are generally lazy. When did you last go for a 10 mile walk? lol
I don't want to go for a ten mile walk but then I'm not the one moaning about walking from Methleigh car park to the pub on a wet autumn eve, and saying I like walking from Tescos into the town. I very rarely go Porthleven anyway, don't like it's Cornwall Cllr or the fact it's privately owned. Wouldn't mind doing a bit of wheel clamping down there though for them, I'd start with all the Cllrs cars.
Porthleven has an excellent Cornwall Councillor. Why would not liking a Cornwall Councillor prevent you from visiting a place, he is hardly likely to affect your enjoyment of Porthleven. Why would you want to wheel clamp all the vehicles owned by Councillors, is that not rather an unkind statement.

It is beneficial that the harbour is privately owned because if it was not, it would more than likely be in a permanent state of disrepair, the National Trust are not even continuing to maintain all the harbours they own due to repetitive storm damage.
[quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]telstar1962[/bold] wrote: And what will the on-going costs be of maintaining, ensuring the fees are paid. If they employ the lovely people from Praa Sands to police the payments, they could make it pay for itself. That's right John, people are generally lazy. When did you last go for a 10 mile walk? lol[/p][/quote]I don't want to go for a ten mile walk but then I'm not the one moaning about walking from Methleigh car park to the pub on a wet autumn eve, and saying I like walking from Tescos into the town. I very rarely go Porthleven anyway, don't like it's Cornwall Cllr or the fact it's privately owned. Wouldn't mind doing a bit of wheel clamping down there though for them, I'd start with all the Cllrs cars.[/p][/quote]Porthleven has an excellent Cornwall Councillor. Why would not liking a Cornwall Councillor prevent you from visiting a place, he is hardly likely to affect your enjoyment of Porthleven. Why would you want to wheel clamp all the vehicles owned by Councillors, is that not rather an unkind statement. It is beneficial that the harbour is privately owned because if it was not, it would more than likely be in a permanent state of disrepair, the National Trust are not even continuing to maintain all the harbours they own due to repetitive storm damage. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 3

3:19pm Sat 16 Aug 14

Helston John says...

Cllr Wallis looks like he's grabbing Demelza Storbecks bum in that picture.
And Andrew George is just grabbing full stop.
Cllr Wallis looks like he's grabbing Demelza Storbecks bum in that picture. And Andrew George is just grabbing full stop. Helston John
  • Score: 0

3:32pm Sat 16 Aug 14

Helston John says...

In fact it says "Ms Mordaunt met with a section of the directors" well who the hell is she? and what the hell has Andrew George got to do with anything? Strikes me our oh so wonderful MP lets everyone else do all the work for things then just turns up for a photo shoot to look busy and helpful when really he's useless and publicity seeking.
In fact it says "Ms Mordaunt met with a section of the directors" well who the hell is she? and what the hell has Andrew George got to do with anything? Strikes me our oh so wonderful MP lets everyone else do all the work for things then just turns up for a photo shoot to look busy and helpful when really he's useless and publicity seeking. Helston John
  • Score: 2

3:36pm Sat 16 Aug 14

Helston John says...

Andrew George is always there when money is given out but nowhere to be seen in the media when things like the community college hit the headlines, where was his pic in the paper then?
Andrew George is always there when money is given out but nowhere to be seen in the media when things like the community college hit the headlines, where was his pic in the paper then? Helston John
  • Score: 1

5:28pm Sat 16 Aug 14

Gill Z Martin says...

Helston John wrote:
In fact it says "Ms Mordaunt met with a section of the directors" well who the hell is she? and what the hell has Andrew George got to do with anything? Strikes me our oh so wonderful MP lets everyone else do all the work for things then just turns up for a photo shoot to look busy and helpful when really he's useless and publicity seeking.
The article says "Penny Mordaunt is the new communities minister" it therefore seems logical to me that she would be accompanied by MP Andrew George, I believe the funding from the coastal communities bid was government generated. Whatever you may think about MP Andrew George, it is inevitable he will appear in the media given that he is the local MP.
[quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: In fact it says "Ms Mordaunt met with a section of the directors" well who the hell is she? and what the hell has Andrew George got to do with anything? Strikes me our oh so wonderful MP lets everyone else do all the work for things then just turns up for a photo shoot to look busy and helpful when really he's useless and publicity seeking.[/p][/quote]The article says "Penny Mordaunt is the new communities minister" it therefore seems logical to me that she would be accompanied by MP Andrew George, I believe the funding from the coastal communities bid was government generated. Whatever you may think about MP Andrew George, it is inevitable he will appear in the media given that he is the local MP. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 2

6:00pm Sat 16 Aug 14

Helston John says...

You obviously think Andrew George is a good MP then? He's a member of the Helston BIP? What does he do for that? Nothing.
You obviously think Andrew George is a good MP then? He's a member of the Helston BIP? What does he do for that? Nothing. Helston John
  • Score: -1

6:40pm Sat 16 Aug 14

Gill Z Martin says...

Helston John wrote:
You obviously think Andrew George is a good MP then? He's a member of the Helston BIP? What does he do for that? Nothing.
I have no opinion on MP Andrew George at all.
[quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: You obviously think Andrew George is a good MP then? He's a member of the Helston BIP? What does he do for that? Nothing.[/p][/quote]I have no opinion on MP Andrew George at all. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 3

6:50pm Sat 16 Aug 14

Gill Z Martin says...

Helston John wrote:
Cllr Wallis looks like he's grabbing Demelza Storbecks bum in that picture.
And Andrew George is just grabbing full stop.
I personally think your comment is disrespectful and unnecessary.
[quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: Cllr Wallis looks like he's grabbing Demelza Storbecks bum in that picture. And Andrew George is just grabbing full stop.[/p][/quote]I personally think your comment is disrespectful and unnecessary. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 4

10:05pm Sat 16 Aug 14

ronedgcumbe says...

Gill Z Martin wrote:
Helston John wrote:
You obviously think Andrew George is a good MP then? He's a member of the Helston BIP? What does he do for that? Nothing.
I have no opinion on MP Andrew George at all.
Andrew George has been a great MP but belongings to a good party that has made a great mistake.
A shame that we will lose such a good representation in Westminster.
[quote][p][bold]Gill Z Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: You obviously think Andrew George is a good MP then? He's a member of the Helston BIP? What does he do for that? Nothing.[/p][/quote]I have no opinion on MP Andrew George at all.[/p][/quote]Andrew George has been a great MP but belongings to a good party that has made a great mistake. A shame that we will lose such a good representation in Westminster. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: -2

7:34am Sun 17 Aug 14

Helston John says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Gill Z Martin wrote:
Helston John wrote:
You obviously think Andrew George is a good MP then? He's a member of the Helston BIP? What does he do for that? Nothing.
I have no opinion on MP Andrew George at all.
Andrew George has been a great MP but belongings to a good party that has made a great mistake.
A shame that we will lose such a good representation in Westminster.
So what mistake did the Glib Dems make then? Apart from everything they do in general. How do you know you will lose Andrew George to represent us in Westminster? We havn't voted yet! Negative attitude isn't it? You say Andrew George 'has' been a great MP, you sound like he's gone already, so ok Ron, back that up, what has he been great at? What has he done? What has he achieved?
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gill Z Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: You obviously think Andrew George is a good MP then? He's a member of the Helston BIP? What does he do for that? Nothing.[/p][/quote]I have no opinion on MP Andrew George at all.[/p][/quote]Andrew George has been a great MP but belongings to a good party that has made a great mistake. A shame that we will lose such a good representation in Westminster.[/p][/quote]So what mistake did the Glib Dems make then? Apart from everything they do in general. How do you know you will lose Andrew George to represent us in Westminster? We havn't voted yet! Negative attitude isn't it? You say Andrew George 'has' been a great MP, you sound like he's gone already, so ok Ron, back that up, what has he been great at? What has he done? What has he achieved? Helston John
  • Score: 0

7:38am Sun 17 Aug 14

Helston John says...

Gill Z Martin wrote:
Helston John wrote:
Cllr Wallis looks like he's grabbing Demelza Storbecks bum in that picture.
And Andrew George is just grabbing full stop.
I personally think your comment is disrespectful and unnecessary.
Well Cllr Wallis told me your emails are disrespectful and that you shouldn't question things like the car park and that he isn't really going to do anything about the car park he just said he would to shut you up. He's annoyed with you because you wrote to the packet about it. So I wouldn't think he was such a good Cllr if I was you.
[quote][p][bold]Gill Z Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: Cllr Wallis looks like he's grabbing Demelza Storbecks bum in that picture. And Andrew George is just grabbing full stop.[/p][/quote]I personally think your comment is disrespectful and unnecessary.[/p][/quote]Well Cllr Wallis told me your emails are disrespectful and that you shouldn't question things like the car park and that he isn't really going to do anything about the car park he just said he would to shut you up. He's annoyed with you because you wrote to the packet about it. So I wouldn't think he was such a good Cllr if I was you. Helston John
  • Score: 1

7:39am Sun 17 Aug 14

Helston John says...

And if MP Andrew George is so great Ron, why did he tell the Cadgwith fishermen he would vote one way in parliament once and then voted the opposite.
And if MP Andrew George is so great Ron, why did he tell the Cadgwith fishermen he would vote one way in parliament once and then voted the opposite. Helston John
  • Score: 1

2:24pm Sun 17 Aug 14

Gill Z Martin says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Gill Z Martin wrote:
Helston John wrote:
You obviously think Andrew George is a good MP then? He's a member of the Helston BIP? What does he do for that? Nothing.
I have no opinion on MP Andrew George at all.
Andrew George has been a great MP but belongings to a good party that has made a great mistake.
A shame that we will lose such a good representation in Westminster.
Ron, you say "a shame we will lose such a good representation" if you are suggesting MP Andrew George will not be re elected, then surely you are suggesting he is not as good as you would like him to be?
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gill Z Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: You obviously think Andrew George is a good MP then? He's a member of the Helston BIP? What does he do for that? Nothing.[/p][/quote]I have no opinion on MP Andrew George at all.[/p][/quote]Andrew George has been a great MP but belongings to a good party that has made a great mistake. A shame that we will lose such a good representation in Westminster.[/p][/quote]Ron, you say "a shame we will lose such a good representation" if you are suggesting MP Andrew George will not be re elected, then surely you are suggesting he is not as good as you would like him to be? Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 1

2:26pm Sun 17 Aug 14

Gill Z Martin says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Gill Z Martin wrote:
Helston John wrote:
You obviously think Andrew George is a good MP then? He's a member of the Helston BIP? What does he do for that? Nothing.
I have no opinion on MP Andrew George at all.
Andrew George has been a great MP but belongings to a good party that has made a great mistake.
A shame that we will lose such a good representation in Westminster.
I have no political leaning at all and do not adhere to any political party, therefore I am oblivious to the "great mistake" to which you refer, please advise, what "great mistake"?
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gill Z Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: You obviously think Andrew George is a good MP then? He's a member of the Helston BIP? What does he do for that? Nothing.[/p][/quote]I have no opinion on MP Andrew George at all.[/p][/quote]Andrew George has been a great MP but belongings to a good party that has made a great mistake. A shame that we will lose such a good representation in Westminster.[/p][/quote]I have no political leaning at all and do not adhere to any political party, therefore I am oblivious to the "great mistake" to which you refer, please advise, what "great mistake"? Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 2

3:01pm Sun 17 Aug 14

Gill Z Martin says...

Helston John wrote:
Gill Z Martin wrote:
Helston John wrote:
Cllr Wallis looks like he's grabbing Demelza Storbecks bum in that picture.
And Andrew George is just grabbing full stop.
I personally think your comment is disrespectful and unnecessary.
Well Cllr Wallis told me your emails are disrespectful and that you shouldn't question things like the car park and that he isn't really going to do anything about the car park he just said he would to shut you up. He's annoyed with you because you wrote to the packet about it. So I wouldn't think he was such a good Cllr if I was you.
I make my own opinion as to who I think is a good councillor, and If Councillor Andrew Wallis considered my emails disrespectful I am sure he would notify me of that fact.
I stand by my opinion that he is a very good councillor.

Back on topic, as Porthleven have developed a very effectual community interest company, would it not have been an idea to have done a similar thing in Helston, and had one company, as opposed to paying a succession of different staff, all having endless meetings.
[quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gill Z Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: Cllr Wallis looks like he's grabbing Demelza Storbecks bum in that picture. And Andrew George is just grabbing full stop.[/p][/quote]I personally think your comment is disrespectful and unnecessary.[/p][/quote]Well Cllr Wallis told me your emails are disrespectful and that you shouldn't question things like the car park and that he isn't really going to do anything about the car park he just said he would to shut you up. He's annoyed with you because you wrote to the packet about it. So I wouldn't think he was such a good Cllr if I was you.[/p][/quote]I make my own opinion as to who I think is a good councillor, and If Councillor Andrew Wallis considered my emails disrespectful I am sure he would notify me of that fact. I stand by my opinion that he is a very good councillor. Back on topic, as Porthleven have developed a very effectual community interest company, would it not have been an idea to have done a similar thing in Helston, and had one company, as opposed to paying a succession of different staff, all having endless meetings. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 2

7:10pm Sun 17 Aug 14

Helston John says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Gill Z Martin wrote:
Helston John wrote:
You obviously think Andrew George is a good MP then? He's a member of the Helston BIP? What does he do for that? Nothing.
I have no opinion on MP Andrew George at all.
Andrew George has been a great MP but belongings to a good party that has made a great mistake.
A shame that we will lose such a good representation in Westminster.
Why do you quote Gills comment and when she answers you don't come up with an answer? Havn't you got any answer?
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gill Z Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: You obviously think Andrew George is a good MP then? He's a member of the Helston BIP? What does he do for that? Nothing.[/p][/quote]I have no opinion on MP Andrew George at all.[/p][/quote]Andrew George has been a great MP but belongings to a good party that has made a great mistake. A shame that we will lose such a good representation in Westminster.[/p][/quote]Why do you quote Gills comment and when she answers you don't come up with an answer? Havn't you got any answer? Helston John
  • Score: 2

6:54am Mon 18 Aug 14

ronedgcumbe says...

Gill Z Martin wrote:
ronedgcumbe wrote:
Gill Z Martin wrote:
Helston John wrote:
You obviously think Andrew George is a good MP then? He's a member of the Helston BIP? What does he do for that? Nothing.
I have no opinion on MP Andrew George at all.
Andrew George has been a great MP but belongings to a good party that has made a great mistake.
A shame that we will lose such a good representation in Westminster.
I have no political leaning at all and do not adhere to any political party, therefore I am oblivious to the "great mistake" to which you refer, please advise, what "great mistake"?
Forming the coalition with the conservatives with the loss of support and membership for the party.
[quote][p][bold]Gill Z Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gill Z Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: You obviously think Andrew George is a good MP then? He's a member of the Helston BIP? What does he do for that? Nothing.[/p][/quote]I have no opinion on MP Andrew George at all.[/p][/quote]Andrew George has been a great MP but belongings to a good party that has made a great mistake. A shame that we will lose such a good representation in Westminster.[/p][/quote]I have no political leaning at all and do not adhere to any political party, therefore I am oblivious to the "great mistake" to which you refer, please advise, what "great mistake"?[/p][/quote]Forming the coalition with the conservatives with the loss of support and membership for the party. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 1

8:33am Mon 18 Aug 14

Gill Z Martin says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Gill Z Martin wrote:
ronedgcumbe wrote:
Gill Z Martin wrote:
Helston John wrote:
You obviously think Andrew George is a good MP then? He's a member of the Helston BIP? What does he do for that? Nothing.
I have no opinion on MP Andrew George at all.
Andrew George has been a great MP but belongings to a good party that has made a great mistake.
A shame that we will lose such a good representation in Westminster.
I have no political leaning at all and do not adhere to any political party, therefore I am oblivious to the "great mistake" to which you refer, please advise, what "great mistake"?
Forming the coalition with the conservatives with the loss of support and membership for the party.
Perhaps they thought half a government was better than no government.
I did not think they had much support in the first place, surely if they had then they would have been elected on their own.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gill Z Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gill Z Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: You obviously think Andrew George is a good MP then? He's a member of the Helston BIP? What does he do for that? Nothing.[/p][/quote]I have no opinion on MP Andrew George at all.[/p][/quote]Andrew George has been a great MP but belongings to a good party that has made a great mistake. A shame that we will lose such a good representation in Westminster.[/p][/quote]I have no political leaning at all and do not adhere to any political party, therefore I am oblivious to the "great mistake" to which you refer, please advise, what "great mistake"?[/p][/quote]Forming the coalition with the conservatives with the loss of support and membership for the party.[/p][/quote]Perhaps they thought half a government was better than no government. I did not think they had much support in the first place, surely if they had then they would have been elected on their own. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 4

3:00pm Mon 18 Aug 14

Gill Z Martin says...

Helston John wrote:
Helston John wrote:
Cllr Wallis looks like he's grabbing Demelza Storbecks bum in that picture.
And Andrew George is just grabbing full stop.
On second thoughts, don't suppose Cllr Wallis would grab Demelza Storbecks bum, he's more likely to grab Andrew George's bum given half the chance. And Andrew George is just grabbing with his expenses. A couple of bum chums.
I personally think your comment is disrespectful, rude and inappropriate.
[quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: Cllr Wallis looks like he's grabbing Demelza Storbecks bum in that picture. And Andrew George is just grabbing full stop.[/p][/quote]On second thoughts, don't suppose Cllr Wallis would grab Demelza Storbecks bum, he's more likely to grab Andrew George's bum given half the chance. And Andrew George is just grabbing with his expenses. A couple of bum chums.[/p][/quote]I personally think your comment is disrespectful, rude and inappropriate. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: -2

10:59am Wed 20 Aug 14

Gill Z Martin says...

Helston John wrote:
Gill, for someone that accuses me on here of being rude and disrespectful, you are rude because you don't answer my questions and I know you've been on the website because you've posted on the Helston lake story.
I do not consider I am rude in not answering some of your questions, I have no intention of answering a question which is so far removed from the article, that I believe in my refraining from an answer, does not render me rude.
[quote][p][bold]Helston John[/bold] wrote: Gill, for someone that accuses me on here of being rude and disrespectful, you are rude because you don't answer my questions and I know you've been on the website because you've posted on the Helston lake story.[/p][/quote]I do not consider I am rude in not answering some of your questions, I have no intention of answering a question which is so far removed from the article, that I believe in my refraining from an answer, does not render me rude. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree