New Helston town council van hits the road... finally

New Helston town council van hits the road... finally

New Helston town council van hits the road... finally

First published in News

Helston Town Council has unveiled its new van to help drive it into the 21st century.

Members agreed back in January that council staff should have an official vehicle, in order to carry out day-to-day council business.

As a result they decided to lease a van for five years, following a lengthy debate on the pros and cons.

Town mayor Mike Thomas said this week: “With five play areas distributed around the town, which must be regularly checked, as well as tasks such as weed spraying, it was deemed no longer appropriate for staff to use their own vehicles. The lease option was chosen by council members as the most cost-effective way of operating these services.

The van, which carries the Helston Town Council logo, will also be available for certain community uses.

However, a town council approved driver must always drive the van.

Anyone who thinks their community group might benefit from this should contact the town council office.

When the council first debated the topic back in the new year, then-mayor Jonathan Radford-Gaby said the council had taken on “an enormous additional amount of responsibility” over the last year to 18 months and needed a van so that officers could perform their duties.

Councillor John Martin saw the leasing of the vehicle as “the first phase,” saying: “We can test the usage of the van, prior to any purchase. I believe purchase will be necessary but maybe we start off hiring.”

However, councillor Gillian Geer believed the council should be hiring a necessary sized van when needed, while councillor Martine Knight said a hire budget already existed and was “not being utilised properly.”

A suggestion from Mr Williams that the council went straight into buying one found no support, with members agreeing in a majority vote to contract hire a van from Cormac for a five-year period.

Councillors Martine Knight and Gillian Geer recorded their names against the proposal, with the remainder in favour.

Comments (41)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

2:11pm Wed 3 Sep 14

Gill Z Martin says...

In my view it makes sense to lease a van with a future view to purchasing one. I cannot see the point in hiring a van just as and when one needs it, because with a local council every individual need may not be predictable, and a van may not be available at the time to hire. In addition to which, hiring a van would not allow a logo, and I would imagine work out more expensive long term.
In my view it makes sense to lease a van with a future view to purchasing one. I cannot see the point in hiring a van just as and when one needs it, because with a local council every individual need may not be predictable, and a van may not be available at the time to hire. In addition to which, hiring a van would not allow a logo, and I would imagine work out more expensive long term. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 3

8:22pm Wed 3 Sep 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

Could have leased a van with fog lights but then seeing as some of the Cllrs havnt the foggiest idea what theyre doing i suppose its rather fitting. Why is Cllr Knight in the photo when she didnt even want to lease a van and inly wanted the council to hire one on occasions with her hire budget she keeps going on about.
Could have leased a van with fog lights but then seeing as some of the Cllrs havnt the foggiest idea what theyre doing i suppose its rather fitting. Why is Cllr Knight in the photo when she didnt even want to lease a van and inly wanted the council to hire one on occasions with her hire budget she keeps going on about. Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: 5

7:37am Thu 4 Sep 14

ronedgcumbe says...

A nice looking van and it's great they are so pleased with it.
A nice looking van and it's great they are so pleased with it. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: -10

8:03am Thu 4 Sep 14

Lev Repel says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
A nice looking van and it's great they are so pleased with it.
It is only a bog standard van that CORMAC use I think, you can see them all over the place all the time, I would be more interested in a nice looking councillor.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: A nice looking van and it's great they are so pleased with it.[/p][/quote]It is only a bog standard van that CORMAC use I think, you can see them all over the place all the time, I would be more interested in a nice looking councillor. Lev Repel
  • Score: 6

8:28am Thu 4 Sep 14

Lev Repel says...

I do not see how they can justify the expense right now anyway, also they may not even all be re elected in a few years time then a new council will be stuck with the lease agreement. Porthleven Town Council would not spend this type of money I doubt after a large council tax increase.
I do not see how they can justify the expense right now anyway, also they may not even all be re elected in a few years time then a new council will be stuck with the lease agreement. Porthleven Town Council would not spend this type of money I doubt after a large council tax increase. Lev Repel
  • Score: 4

8:30am Thu 4 Sep 14

ronedgcumbe says...

Lev Repel wrote:
ronedgcumbe wrote:
A nice looking van and it's great they are so pleased with it.
It is only a bog standard van that CORMAC use I think, you can see them all over the place all the time, I would be more interested in a nice looking councillor.
I think they look very. The mayor looks very smart. Much nicer than the awful mayor suit.
[quote][p][bold]Lev Repel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: A nice looking van and it's great they are so pleased with it.[/p][/quote]It is only a bog standard van that CORMAC use I think, you can see them all over the place all the time, I would be more interested in a nice looking councillor.[/p][/quote]I think they look very. The mayor looks very smart. Much nicer than the awful mayor suit. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 1

8:33am Thu 4 Sep 14

ronedgcumbe says...

Lev Repel wrote:
I do not see how they can justify the expense right now anyway, also they may not even all be re elected in a few years time then a new council will be stuck with the lease agreement. Porthleven Town Council would not spend this type of money I doubt after a large council tax increase.
I thinks it's just nice we actually see something for our money at last.
[quote][p][bold]Lev Repel[/bold] wrote: I do not see how they can justify the expense right now anyway, also they may not even all be re elected in a few years time then a new council will be stuck with the lease agreement. Porthleven Town Council would not spend this type of money I doubt after a large council tax increase.[/p][/quote]I thinks it's just nice we actually see something for our money at last. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: -3

8:34am Thu 4 Sep 14

ronedgcumbe says...

Lev Repel wrote:
I do not see how they can justify the expense right now anyway, also they may not even all be re elected in a few years time then a new council will be stuck with the lease agreement. Porthleven Town Council would not spend this type of money I doubt after a large council tax increase.
I thinks it's just nice we actually see something for our money at last.
[quote][p][bold]Lev Repel[/bold] wrote: I do not see how they can justify the expense right now anyway, also they may not even all be re elected in a few years time then a new council will be stuck with the lease agreement. Porthleven Town Council would not spend this type of money I doubt after a large council tax increase.[/p][/quote]I thinks it's just nice we actually see something for our money at last. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: -2

8:37am Thu 4 Sep 14

ronedgcumbe says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Lev Repel wrote:
I do not see how they can justify the expense right now anyway, also they may not even all be re elected in a few years time then a new council will be stuck with the lease agreement. Porthleven Town Council would not spend this type of money I doubt after a large council tax increase.
I thinks it's just nice we actually see something for our money at last.
Most leases are three years it's seems odd to get tied into a five year lease.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lev Repel[/bold] wrote: I do not see how they can justify the expense right now anyway, also they may not even all be re elected in a few years time then a new council will be stuck with the lease agreement. Porthleven Town Council would not spend this type of money I doubt after a large council tax increase.[/p][/quote]I thinks it's just nice we actually see something for our money at last.[/p][/quote]Most leases are three years it's seems odd to get tied into a five year lease. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 4

9:06am Thu 4 Sep 14

Lev Repel says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Lev Repel wrote:
ronedgcumbe wrote:
A nice looking van and it's great they are so pleased with it.
It is only a bog standard van that CORMAC use I think, you can see them all over the place all the time, I would be more interested in a nice looking councillor.
I think they look very. The mayor looks very smart. Much nicer than the awful mayor suit.
Yes they do all look very smart, I wasn't saying they didn't.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lev Repel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: A nice looking van and it's great they are so pleased with it.[/p][/quote]It is only a bog standard van that CORMAC use I think, you can see them all over the place all the time, I would be more interested in a nice looking councillor.[/p][/quote]I think they look very. The mayor looks very smart. Much nicer than the awful mayor suit.[/p][/quote]Yes they do all look very smart, I wasn't saying they didn't. Lev Repel
  • Score: 2

12:02pm Thu 4 Sep 14

telstar1962 says...

some people are never happy

5 years probably due to the payments being much lower per month than 3 years ?
some people are never happy 5 years probably due to the payments being much lower per month than 3 years ? telstar1962
  • Score: 0

12:16pm Thu 4 Sep 14

Gill Z Martin says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Lev Repel wrote:
ronedgcumbe wrote:
A nice looking van and it's great they are so pleased with it.
It is only a bog standard van that CORMAC use I think, you can see them all over the place all the time, I would be more interested in a nice looking councillor.
I think they look very. The mayor looks very smart. Much nicer than the awful mayor suit.
You think they look very?

I am inclined to agree with you that a suit is more appropriate these days than a mayors gown, however, I suppose the gown is just tradition for civic occasions. Having said that, I believe there is nothing wrong with breaking some traditions. It could even save money, surely they have to pay to have the gown cleaned?
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lev Repel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: A nice looking van and it's great they are so pleased with it.[/p][/quote]It is only a bog standard van that CORMAC use I think, you can see them all over the place all the time, I would be more interested in a nice looking councillor.[/p][/quote]I think they look very. The mayor looks very smart. Much nicer than the awful mayor suit.[/p][/quote]You think they look very? I am inclined to agree with you that a suit is more appropriate these days than a mayors gown, however, I suppose the gown is just tradition for civic occasions. Having said that, I believe there is nothing wrong with breaking some traditions. It could even save money, surely they have to pay to have the gown cleaned? Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 3

12:32pm Thu 4 Sep 14

Gill Z Martin says...

telstar1962 wrote:
some people are never happy

5 years probably due to the payments being much lower per month than 3 years ?
Lol, well we have all had about four and a half years to get accustomed to the idea that Helston Town Council would be getting a van. I believe the idea was first suggested in February 2010, so I suppose they need five years to decide whether going on to purchase one would be appropriate! Let's just hope they drive a little faster than they make decisions.
[quote][p][bold]telstar1962[/bold] wrote: some people are never happy 5 years probably due to the payments being much lower per month than 3 years ?[/p][/quote]Lol, well we have all had about four and a half years to get accustomed to the idea that Helston Town Council would be getting a van. I believe the idea was first suggested in February 2010, so I suppose they need five years to decide whether going on to purchase one would be appropriate! Let's just hope they drive a little faster than they make decisions. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 9

1:19pm Thu 4 Sep 14

ronedgcumbe says...

Gill Z Martin wrote:
ronedgcumbe wrote:
Lev Repel wrote:
ronedgcumbe wrote:
A nice looking van and it's great they are so pleased with it.
It is only a bog standard van that CORMAC use I think, you can see them all over the place all the time, I would be more interested in a nice looking councillor.
I think they look very. The mayor looks very smart. Much nicer than the awful mayor suit.
You think they look very?

I am inclined to agree with you that a suit is more appropriate these days than a mayors gown, however, I suppose the gown is just tradition for civic occasions. Having said that, I believe there is nothing wrong with breaking some traditions. It could even save money, surely they have to pay to have the gown cleaned?
Nice.
Presumably there is an annual budget for fancy dress costume cleaning as there is apparently for guildhall repairs.
[quote][p][bold]Gill Z Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lev Repel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: A nice looking van and it's great they are so pleased with it.[/p][/quote]It is only a bog standard van that CORMAC use I think, you can see them all over the place all the time, I would be more interested in a nice looking councillor.[/p][/quote]I think they look very. The mayor looks very smart. Much nicer than the awful mayor suit.[/p][/quote]You think they look very? I am inclined to agree with you that a suit is more appropriate these days than a mayors gown, however, I suppose the gown is just tradition for civic occasions. Having said that, I believe there is nothing wrong with breaking some traditions. It could even save money, surely they have to pay to have the gown cleaned?[/p][/quote]Nice. Presumably there is an annual budget for fancy dress costume cleaning as there is apparently for guildhall repairs. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 5

1:47pm Thu 4 Sep 14

Gill Z Martin says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Gill Z Martin wrote:
ronedgcumbe wrote:
Lev Repel wrote:
ronedgcumbe wrote:
A nice looking van and it's great they are so pleased with it.
It is only a bog standard van that CORMAC use I think, you can see them all over the place all the time, I would be more interested in a nice looking councillor.
I think they look very. The mayor looks very smart. Much nicer than the awful mayor suit.
You think they look very?

I am inclined to agree with you that a suit is more appropriate these days than a mayors gown, however, I suppose the gown is just tradition for civic occasions. Having said that, I believe there is nothing wrong with breaking some traditions. It could even save money, surely they have to pay to have the gown cleaned?
Nice.
Presumably there is an annual budget for fancy dress costume cleaning as there is apparently for guildhall repairs.
Lol, it is not supposed to be a fancy dress costume. I would imagine you are correct, cleaning must be catered for surely, otherwise a strong air freshener would be needed in the Guildhall for council meetings I would think. Or perhaps it is washable, put it on a hot wash and into a tumble dryer, take it out and then it would fit a small teddy bear. They could have the teddy bear as a mascot while the mayor wears a nice suit.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gill Z Martin[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Lev Repel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: A nice looking van and it's great they are so pleased with it.[/p][/quote]It is only a bog standard van that CORMAC use I think, you can see them all over the place all the time, I would be more interested in a nice looking councillor.[/p][/quote]I think they look very. The mayor looks very smart. Much nicer than the awful mayor suit.[/p][/quote]You think they look very? I am inclined to agree with you that a suit is more appropriate these days than a mayors gown, however, I suppose the gown is just tradition for civic occasions. Having said that, I believe there is nothing wrong with breaking some traditions. It could even save money, surely they have to pay to have the gown cleaned?[/p][/quote]Nice. Presumably there is an annual budget for fancy dress costume cleaning as there is apparently for guildhall repairs.[/p][/quote]Lol, it is not supposed to be a fancy dress costume. I would imagine you are correct, cleaning must be catered for surely, otherwise a strong air freshener would be needed in the Guildhall for council meetings I would think. Or perhaps it is washable, put it on a hot wash and into a tumble dryer, take it out and then it would fit a small teddy bear. They could have the teddy bear as a mascot while the mayor wears a nice suit. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 6

4:44pm Thu 4 Sep 14

Gill Z Martin says...

Thinking about it, the council could have saved all that money leasing a van and just had a voluntary driver to drive them around as and when needed, as a voluntary driver myself, I would have done it and all it would have cost them would have been the basic flat cost of fuel. I would however have drawn the line at having the logo put on my vehicle lol.
Thinking about it, the council could have saved all that money leasing a van and just had a voluntary driver to drive them around as and when needed, as a voluntary driver myself, I would have done it and all it would have cost them would have been the basic flat cost of fuel. I would however have drawn the line at having the logo put on my vehicle lol. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 4

5:20pm Thu 4 Sep 14

Lev Repel says...

Gill Z Martin wrote:
Thinking about it, the council could have saved all that money leasing a van and just had a voluntary driver to drive them around as and when needed, as a voluntary driver myself, I would have done it and all it would have cost them would have been the basic flat cost of fuel. I would however have drawn the line at having the logo put on my vehicle lol.
Don't you need insurance for that sort of thing ?
The mayor does look smart in a suit, why the black tie? Did someone die? Just wondering.
I think it is outdated to have a mayors robe/gown whatever it's called. If they want to go 21st century van then why not 21st century clothes? Otherwise they perhaps should have opted for horse and cart. I like men in ties.
[quote][p][bold]Gill Z Martin[/bold] wrote: Thinking about it, the council could have saved all that money leasing a van and just had a voluntary driver to drive them around as and when needed, as a voluntary driver myself, I would have done it and all it would have cost them would have been the basic flat cost of fuel. I would however have drawn the line at having the logo put on my vehicle lol.[/p][/quote]Don't you need insurance for that sort of thing ? The mayor does look smart in a suit, why the black tie? Did someone die? Just wondering. I think it is outdated to have a mayors robe/gown whatever it's called. If they want to go 21st century van then why not 21st century clothes? Otherwise they perhaps should have opted for horse and cart. I like men in ties. Lev Repel
  • Score: 3

5:24pm Thu 4 Sep 14

ronedgcumbe says...

Gill Z Martin wrote:
Thinking about it, the council could have saved all that money leasing a van and just had a voluntary driver to drive them around as and when needed, as a voluntary driver myself, I would have done it and all it would have cost them would have been the basic flat cost of fuel. I would however have drawn the line at having the logo put on my vehicle lol.
Don't think it is the infamous logo on the van funny enough. Looks like the town crest to me.
[quote][p][bold]Gill Z Martin[/bold] wrote: Thinking about it, the council could have saved all that money leasing a van and just had a voluntary driver to drive them around as and when needed, as a voluntary driver myself, I would have done it and all it would have cost them would have been the basic flat cost of fuel. I would however have drawn the line at having the logo put on my vehicle lol.[/p][/quote]Don't think it is the infamous logo on the van funny enough. Looks like the town crest to me. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 0

5:32pm Thu 4 Sep 14

Gill Z Martin says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Gill Z Martin wrote:
Thinking about it, the council could have saved all that money leasing a van and just had a voluntary driver to drive them around as and when needed, as a voluntary driver myself, I would have done it and all it would have cost them would have been the basic flat cost of fuel. I would however have drawn the line at having the logo put on my vehicle lol.
Don't think it is the infamous logo on the van funny enough. Looks like the town crest to me.
Yes I noticed that, as I understood it at one amenities committee meeting I attended, the town council do not want to use the infamous logo, that is why it will not be included on new signage within the town. Having the town council financed £5,000 for it I am surprised they do not want to use it. Although perhaps I am not really surprised.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gill Z Martin[/bold] wrote: Thinking about it, the council could have saved all that money leasing a van and just had a voluntary driver to drive them around as and when needed, as a voluntary driver myself, I would have done it and all it would have cost them would have been the basic flat cost of fuel. I would however have drawn the line at having the logo put on my vehicle lol.[/p][/quote]Don't think it is the infamous logo on the van funny enough. Looks like the town crest to me.[/p][/quote]Yes I noticed that, as I understood it at one amenities committee meeting I attended, the town council do not want to use the infamous logo, that is why it will not be included on new signage within the town. Having the town council financed £5,000 for it I am surprised they do not want to use it. Although perhaps I am not really surprised. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 4

5:37pm Thu 4 Sep 14

Gill Z Martin says...

Lev Repel wrote:
Gill Z Martin wrote:
Thinking about it, the council could have saved all that money leasing a van and just had a voluntary driver to drive them around as and when needed, as a voluntary driver myself, I would have done it and all it would have cost them would have been the basic flat cost of fuel. I would however have drawn the line at having the logo put on my vehicle lol.
Don't you need insurance for that sort of thing ?
The mayor does look smart in a suit, why the black tie? Did someone die? Just wondering.
I think it is outdated to have a mayors robe/gown whatever it's called. If they want to go 21st century van then why not 21st century clothes? Otherwise they perhaps should have opted for horse and cart. I like men in ties.
I have insurance for "that sort of thing"

Perhaps a black tie signifies the memorial of the town councils balanced budget!

I think ties are superfluous on men for the majority of occasions.
[quote][p][bold]Lev Repel[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Gill Z Martin[/bold] wrote: Thinking about it, the council could have saved all that money leasing a van and just had a voluntary driver to drive them around as and when needed, as a voluntary driver myself, I would have done it and all it would have cost them would have been the basic flat cost of fuel. I would however have drawn the line at having the logo put on my vehicle lol.[/p][/quote]Don't you need insurance for that sort of thing ? The mayor does look smart in a suit, why the black tie? Did someone die? Just wondering. I think it is outdated to have a mayors robe/gown whatever it's called. If they want to go 21st century van then why not 21st century clothes? Otherwise they perhaps should have opted for horse and cart. I like men in ties.[/p][/quote]I have insurance for "that sort of thing" Perhaps a black tie signifies the memorial of the town councils balanced budget! I think ties are superfluous on men for the majority of occasions. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 5

5:51pm Thu 4 Sep 14

ronedgcumbe says...

Perhaps it's the new libdems colour for the forthcoming general election.
Perhaps it's the new libdems colour for the forthcoming general election. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 6

5:52pm Thu 4 Sep 14

Gill Z Martin says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Perhaps it's the new libdems colour for the forthcoming general election.
Lol, are you standing as Lib Dem ?
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: Perhaps it's the new libdems colour for the forthcoming general election.[/p][/quote]Lol, are you standing as Lib Dem ? Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 3

6:05pm Thu 4 Sep 14

ronedgcumbe says...

No certainly not you would stand more chance getting in standing as a monster raving ukip.
No certainly not you would stand more chance getting in standing as a monster raving ukip. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 3

6:09pm Thu 4 Sep 14

Gill Z Martin says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
No certainly not you would stand more chance getting in standing as a monster raving ukip.
Just as long as you stand as what you really are! I think the public should really get what they vote for. I believe the last election was politically corrupt.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: No certainly not you would stand more chance getting in standing as a monster raving ukip.[/p][/quote]Just as long as you stand as what you really are! I think the public should really get what they vote for. I believe the last election was politically corrupt. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 5

7:09pm Thu 4 Sep 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

Gill youre not suggesting any of the three Helston Cornwall Cllrs stood as Independents when they are really Lib Dem are you? I voted for Cllr Wallis because he is Independent.
Gill youre not suggesting any of the three Helston Cornwall Cllrs stood as Independents when they are really Lib Dem are you? I voted for Cllr Wallis because he is Independent. Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: 3

7:12pm Thu 4 Sep 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

Ron you used to be Lib Dem didnt you? you used to deliver the leaflets to my place.
Ron you used to be Lib Dem didnt you? you used to deliver the leaflets to my place. Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: 2

7:23pm Thu 4 Sep 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

Cllr Wallis isnt a political sheep in wolves clothing is he?
Cllr Wallis isnt a political sheep in wolves clothing is he? Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: 3

7:24pm Thu 4 Sep 14

ronedgcumbe says...

Helston fly on the wall wrote:
Ron you used to be Lib Dem didnt you? you used to deliver the leaflets to my place.
No I ceased my membership with the formation of the current coalition government and have no time for those that remain members.

In my opinion time should of been called on this government when they failed to get proposal representation after that they were finished as a political party.
[quote][p][bold]Helston fly on the wall[/bold] wrote: Ron you used to be Lib Dem didnt you? you used to deliver the leaflets to my place.[/p][/quote]No I ceased my membership with the formation of the current coalition government and have no time for those that remain members. In my opinion time should of been called on this government when they failed to get proposal representation after that they were finished as a political party. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 3

7:32pm Thu 4 Sep 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

But you seemed to support MP Andrew George on one article didnt you Ron?
But you seemed to support MP Andrew George on one article didnt you Ron? Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: 2

7:32pm Thu 4 Sep 14

Gill Z Martin says...

Helston fly on the wall wrote:
Gill youre not suggesting any of the three Helston Cornwall Cllrs stood as Independents when they are really Lib Dem are you? I voted for Cllr Wallis because he is Independent.
No not at all. All three Helston Councillors are Independent.
[quote][p][bold]Helston fly on the wall[/bold] wrote: Gill youre not suggesting any of the three Helston Cornwall Cllrs stood as Independents when they are really Lib Dem are you? I voted for Cllr Wallis because he is Independent.[/p][/quote]No not at all. All three Helston Councillors are Independent. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 1

7:36pm Thu 4 Sep 14

ronedgcumbe says...

Helston fly on the wall wrote:
Gill youre not suggesting any of the three Helston Cornwall Cllrs stood as Independents when they are really Lib Dem are you? I voted for Cllr Wallis because he is Independent.
Mrs Haydock had a very strong candidate running against her from the lib dems and still won so I think not all three Helston councillors.
[quote][p][bold]Helston fly on the wall[/bold] wrote: Gill youre not suggesting any of the three Helston Cornwall Cllrs stood as Independents when they are really Lib Dem are you? I voted for Cllr Wallis because he is Independent.[/p][/quote]Mrs Haydock had a very strong candidate running against her from the lib dems and still won so I think not all three Helston councillors. ronedgcumbe
  • Score: 3

7:40pm Thu 4 Sep 14

Gill Z Martin says...

Helston fly on the wall wrote:
Cllr Wallis isnt a political sheep in wolves clothing is he?
I think you will find the saying is a wolf in sheep's clothing! No not at all, what you see is what you get with Councillor Andrew Wallis, metaphorically speaking. He is a true Independent.
[quote][p][bold]Helston fly on the wall[/bold] wrote: Cllr Wallis isnt a political sheep in wolves clothing is he?[/p][/quote]I think you will find the saying is a wolf in sheep's clothing! No not at all, what you see is what you get with Councillor Andrew Wallis, metaphorically speaking. He is a true Independent. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 4

7:46pm Thu 4 Sep 14

Gill Z Martin says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Helston fly on the wall wrote:
Gill youre not suggesting any of the three Helston Cornwall Cllrs stood as Independents when they are really Lib Dem are you? I voted for Cllr Wallis because he is Independent.
Mrs Haydock had a very strong candidate running against her from the lib dems and still won so I think not all three Helston councillors.
I do not understand, if Councillor Judith Haycock won as Independent over a Lib Dem, why does that necessarily mean not all three Helston Councillors are Independent? I've lost the plot.
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helston fly on the wall[/bold] wrote: Gill youre not suggesting any of the three Helston Cornwall Cllrs stood as Independents when they are really Lib Dem are you? I voted for Cllr Wallis because he is Independent.[/p][/quote]Mrs Haydock had a very strong candidate running against her from the lib dems and still won so I think not all three Helston councillors.[/p][/quote]I do not understand, if Councillor Judith Haycock won as Independent over a Lib Dem, why does that necessarily mean not all three Helston Councillors are Independent? I've lost the plot. Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 2

7:52pm Thu 4 Sep 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

So is it Cllr Haydock or Haycock then? or was Cllr Haydock the Lib Dem?
So is it Cllr Haydock or Haycock then? or was Cllr Haydock the Lib Dem? Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: 2

9:44pm Thu 4 Sep 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

So who on here would vote in favour of a van for the council if they had the chance? and if they had the chance to vote for any Cornwall Cllr from any area who would they vote for? I would vote against the van and my choice of Cornwall Cllr would be Cllr Jeremy Rowe.
So who on here would vote in favour of a van for the council if they had the chance? and if they had the chance to vote for any Cornwall Cllr from any area who would they vote for? I would vote against the van and my choice of Cornwall Cllr would be Cllr Jeremy Rowe. Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: 1

6:46am Fri 5 Sep 14

Gill Z Martin says...

Helston fly on the wall wrote:
So who on here would vote in favour of a van for the council if they had the chance? and if they had the chance to vote for any Cornwall Cllr from any area who would they vote for? I would vote against the van and my choice of Cornwall Cllr would be Cllr Jeremy Rowe.
I would vote in favour of Helston Town Council having the use of a van because I do not think council staff should be expected to use their own vehicles, added to which if a particular member of staff went to work with no vehicle then what would happen!
[quote][p][bold]Helston fly on the wall[/bold] wrote: So who on here would vote in favour of a van for the council if they had the chance? and if they had the chance to vote for any Cornwall Cllr from any area who would they vote for? I would vote against the van and my choice of Cornwall Cllr would be Cllr Jeremy Rowe.[/p][/quote]I would vote in favour of Helston Town Council having the use of a van because I do not think council staff should be expected to use their own vehicles, added to which if a particular member of staff went to work with no vehicle then what would happen! Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 3

1:13pm Fri 5 Sep 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

By the way, where are they going to park this van free of charge where it eont be an obstruction to pedestrians particulary the partially sighted?
By the way, where are they going to park this van free of charge where it eont be an obstruction to pedestrians particulary the partially sighted? Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: 7

8:45am Sun 7 Sep 14

Helston Observer says...

Where do you park any vehicle so it's not an obstruction? The van goes behind the Guildhall in the yard the Council own beside the museum, I know because i saw it there yesterday.
Where do you park any vehicle so it's not an obstruction? The van goes behind the Guildhall in the yard the Council own beside the museum, I know because i saw it there yesterday. Helston Observer
  • Score: 1

8:00pm Sun 7 Sep 14

Gill Z Martin says...

Lev Repel wrote:
I do not see how they can justify the expense right now anyway, also they may not even all be re elected in a few years time then a new council will be stuck with the lease agreement. Porthleven Town Council would not spend this type of money I doubt after a large council tax increase.
Porthleven town council do not have the geographical layout to cover, in order to maintain their assets.
I think Porthleven town council would do better to purchase a window for the institute than buy a van lol
[quote][p][bold]Lev Repel[/bold] wrote: I do not see how they can justify the expense right now anyway, also they may not even all be re elected in a few years time then a new council will be stuck with the lease agreement. Porthleven Town Council would not spend this type of money I doubt after a large council tax increase.[/p][/quote]Porthleven town council do not have the geographical layout to cover, in order to maintain their assets. I think Porthleven town council would do better to purchase a window for the institute than buy a van lol Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 4

8:15pm Sun 7 Sep 14

Gill Z Martin says...

ronedgcumbe wrote:
Helston fly on the wall wrote:
Gill youre not suggesting any of the three Helston Cornwall Cllrs stood as Independents when they are really Lib Dem are you? I voted for Cllr Wallis because he is Independent.
Mrs Haydock had a very strong candidate running against her from the lib dems and still won so I think not all three Helston councillors.
Councillor Judith Haycock Independent had Councillor John Martin Lib Dem standing against her, Councillor Judith Haycock won, so your point is? I find some of your posts cryptic, a bit like a who-dun-it, can't you just say what you mean?
I'll trade political information with you lol
[quote][p][bold]ronedgcumbe[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Helston fly on the wall[/bold] wrote: Gill youre not suggesting any of the three Helston Cornwall Cllrs stood as Independents when they are really Lib Dem are you? I voted for Cllr Wallis because he is Independent.[/p][/quote]Mrs Haydock had a very strong candidate running against her from the lib dems and still won so I think not all three Helston councillors.[/p][/quote]Councillor Judith Haycock Independent had Councillor John Martin Lib Dem standing against her, Councillor Judith Haycock won, so your point is? I find some of your posts cryptic, a bit like a who-dun-it, can't you just say what you mean? I'll trade political information with you lol Gill Z Martin
  • Score: 2

8:48pm Sun 7 Sep 14

Helston fly on the wall says...

Helston Observer wrote:
Where do you park any vehicle so it's not an obstruction? The van goes behind the Guildhall in the yard the Council own beside the museum, I know because i saw it there yesterday.
Well in the picture above its causing an obstruction on the pavement in front of the steps and toilets. If the council keep driving over that pavement it will wear away so i hope thy'll have the money to repair it and if the pavement isnt owned by te town council then do they have permission to keep driving over it. That yard was never meant for vehicles years ago. Can the council prove they own.the yard?
[quote][p][bold]Helston Observer[/bold] wrote: Where do you park any vehicle so it's not an obstruction? The van goes behind the Guildhall in the yard the Council own beside the museum, I know because i saw it there yesterday.[/p][/quote]Well in the picture above its causing an obstruction on the pavement in front of the steps and toilets. If the council keep driving over that pavement it will wear away so i hope thy'll have the money to repair it and if the pavement isnt owned by te town council then do they have permission to keep driving over it. That yard was never meant for vehicles years ago. Can the council prove they own.the yard? Helston fly on the wall
  • Score: 4

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree