UFO spotted in sky above Stithians

First published in News Falmouth Packet: Photograph of the Author by , Ex-Reporter/Photographer

A mystery object appeared in the skies above Stithians this week - leaving one man baffled.

Amateur meteorologist Paul Richards had just finished his weather observations at 9pm on Thursday when some odd flashes of light caught his eye.

“All of a sudden I saw this sort of oval shape,” he said.

“It was a golden and white coloured object over the east north east, about 20 degrees above the horizon.”

The object looked similar to “arcs of high voltage electricity,” Mr Richards said, and was stationary for about a minute before it slowly drifted to the north east and disappeared behind a cloud.

A similar sighting was recorded near the Devon border on the same evening, but a clip on video-sharing website Youtube had been removed at the time of going to press.

“Presumably there must have been other people that saw it,” Mr Richards said.

“I would have thought that other people would have seen it with the amount of clear sky that was in the area at the time.”

The object, which moved very slowly and made no noise, was unlike any aircraft or Chinese lantern that Mr Richards had ever seen before.

“I was really flabbergasted, to be honest – I didn’t expect to see it,” he said.

“I got the binoculars to see it and it was basically an oval shape and I could see this flashing of golden and white, very intense light – it was quite a nice thing to look at.”

Although Mr Richards admits that the possibility of a flight into Newquay Airport cannot be ruled out as the explanation for the sighting, he believes the object to have been higher, brighter and further to the east than any aircraft using the airport would have been.

Did you see any strange lights in the sky last Thursday? Can you help explain what the object might have been? If so, please email the Packet at editorial@packetseries.co.uk, or use the comment form below.

Comments (4)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

3:38pm Thu 2 Feb 12

Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe says...

I can put his mind at rest: that was the spaceship of some intergalactic friends of mine who regularly visit at this time of year. In their world, Chrismas falls in late January and they have grown accustomed to spending it in Cornwall. They always feel a little upset at missing the Mousehole lights though.
When they were leaving, I asked them to take Helston's mayor with them on a one-way trip, but they refused as they didn't want to be driven mad during the long journey home.
I can put his mind at rest: that was the spaceship of some intergalactic friends of mine who regularly visit at this time of year. In their world, Chrismas falls in late January and they have grown accustomed to spending it in Cornwall. They always feel a little upset at missing the Mousehole lights though. When they were leaving, I asked them to take Helston's mayor with them on a one-way trip, but they refused as they didn't want to be driven mad during the long journey home. Lord Barrington Forbes-Smythe
  • Score: 0

9:37am Sat 4 Feb 12

Zella says...

Lol, brilliant, I like it.
Lol, brilliant, I like it. Zella
  • Score: 0

8:27pm Fri 10 Feb 12

acw2 says...

Serious sightings can be reported to the www.uk.ufos.co.uk web site.
80% prove to be explained or deliberate false sightings but the other 20%.......
There have been several genuine sighting over Cornwall in the last few months, I would think many more go unreported.
Serious sightings can be reported to the www.uk.ufos.co.uk web site. 80% prove to be explained or deliberate false sightings but the other 20%....... There have been several genuine sighting over Cornwall in the last few months, I would think many more go unreported. acw2
  • Score: 0

12:36pm Sun 12 Feb 12

Red Fox! says...

I saw unusual light in the sky last week but can not be sure which evening (prob wed 8th or thurs 9th) & it would be between 6 - 8pm when I was out in the field bringing my horses in after work. I can only describe it as a bright yellow light coming through the clouds - no movement or sound. I live near the dam in Stithians and it was north east. I did wonder at the time if it was a UFO and now wish I had taken a picture - I will next time!
I saw unusual light in the sky last week but can not be sure which evening (prob wed 8th or thurs 9th) & it would be between 6 - 8pm when I was out in the field bringing my horses in after work. I can only describe it as a bright yellow light coming through the clouds - no movement or sound. I live near the dam in Stithians and it was north east. I did wonder at the time if it was a UFO and now wish I had taken a picture - I will next time! Red Fox!
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree