Three storey 'extension’ would be new home say councillors
9:50am Monday 9th July 2012 in News
PLANS to build a three storey ‘extension’ to a house in Trelawney Road have been rejected by councillors who ruled the new building would be a new house on the street.
Neighbours had raised concerns over the proposals, saying the new building would not fit in with the rest of the street, would cause potential parking problems and would be an overdevelopment of the site.
Local resident Louise Brett spoke at the meeting to express her concerns, saying that the planning application in question was described in the proposal as ‘the construction of an extension to an existing house’.
She added: “However, on the plans there are no connecting doors providing access from the existing house to the new one. I am no expert but in my mind this is a separate house not an extension.”
She said: “I am also concerned that allowing three storeys to be built on Trelawney Road will set a new precedent for a wave of three-storey developments.
“This is an historic part of Falmouth and I believe it is in the public interest that its integrity is kept for future generations.”
She also expressed concern over a loss of privacy if the new building was allowed, as it would overlook her garden.
Councillor Alan Jewell said: “I did a site visit last week and these plans would use up the very last little piece of that site. I am also concerned it would be a new house because you cannot access the new property from the old one.”
Councillor Jenny Booth added: “I propose we turn this application down on the grounds in it an overdevelopment, it is un-neighbourly and it would increase a fear of crime in the area.”
The committee voted unanimously to reject the plans. The proposals will now be considered by Cornwall Council before a final decision is made.