Bid to create homes access in Falmouth cul-de-sac criticised
11:20am Sunday 9th September 2012 in News
PLANS to build an access road from a quiet cul-de-sac to a new development of houses were criticised by councillors at a Falmouth planning meeting on Monday.
The Penmere Manor Hotel was granted permission to build three detached houses, two semi-detached houses and two holiday lodges in its grounds last year.
The access to the development was to be created through the grounds of the hotel via Mongleath Road. Now the hotel has applied to create the new road from Queen Anne Gardens, saying it will create a ‘more logical’ access.
The plans were discussed at a meeting of the interim planning committee at Falmouth Town Council on Monday evening.
Ted Johnson, who lives in Queen Anne Gardens, addressed the meeting.
He raised concerns over the proposals including the impact of more traffic on the cul-de-sac, the loss of the historic boundary hedge between the road and the hotel grounds, and parking problems caused by the development.
Local Cornwall Councillor Steve Eva also spoke against the plans, saying: “The hotel put in for planning permission knowing there would have to be access through the hotel.
“They are trying to move the goal posts, this is a quiet cul-de-sac.
“I believe planning permission was granted without this access road, it is as simple as that, and they should stick to it.”
Councillor Jenny Booth said: “I think that it would be a small number of cars with these proposals, which would have little impact if they drive through the hotel grounds, but could have a huge impact on the homes in Queen Anne Gardens.”
Councillor Charlie Choak said: “I opposed plans for a footpath through to Queen Anne Gardens last year, it takes away your privacy, we have seen that at Swan’s Reach.
“They have got planning permission for their original plans, and that is what they should stick to.”
Councillor Alan Jewell added: “It was passed on the assumption that they will use the road through the hotel.
“They should keep to what they got permission for.”
The committee voted unanimously to refuse the plans. A final decision will now be made by Cornwall Council .