Council privatisation back under the spotlight after petition success
7:30am Wednesday 3rd October 2012 in News
Controversial plans to sell off many of Cornwall Council's services to a private company will be discussed for a second time at a full meeting of the authority.
The proposals were first debated last month, when a majority of councillors voted to put the scheme on hold.
However, members of the ruling cabinet committee said they were going to press ahead with the plans regardless, prompting an outcry from opposition members.
Councillor Andrew Wallis launched a petition calling for the issue to be debated again, and has now gained more than 5,000 signatures - which will trigger a new debate on the subject.
Councillor Wallis said: “In under three weeks, the magic target of 5,000 signatures has been reached, I really cannot believe how quick this target has been reached.
“I believe people have really got behind it, because they feel so strongly about what is happening at Cornwall Council.
“The ePetition is near the 4,000 signature mark, and the paper version is over 1,200. The paper petition final total is going to be much higher as many of the paper copies have not been returned for counting.
“I would like to say thank you to all and everyone. You really have made this possible.
“Now, once I have all the various copies and version in, I will present them to Cornwall Council for final verification.
“Then, I will make sure, along with my colleagues, this is an agenda item at the next full council meeting.”
The council is next due to meet on Tuesday, October 23 at 10.30am.