Cornwall Council manager who subjected women to "violent and sexually depraved acts", has been jailed.

Richard Mason, 47, from Truro, tied one woman up with rope and made cuts to her arms and stomach and then drank her blood.

Mason, described in court as a, "dangerous man" was sentenced to an indeterminate public protection sentence on Friday. He will serve a minimum of 909 days imprisonment after pleading guilty to charges of wounding, sexual assault and assault.

The attacks were carried out between September last year and May.

Following the hearing, DS Ian Pengelly said: “We welcome the outcome of today’s hearing which follows an extensive Police investigation.

“Richard Mason was an extremely controlling man who carried out a series of truly shocking crimes which will undoubtedly have a lasting effect on his two victims.

“Investigations such as these are always very sensitive and we would like to pay tribute to the victims in this case for their fortitude in coming forward to the police.

“Hopefully today’s sentence will help them move forward as they try to rebuild their lives.

“We would like to reassure the local community that, following an extensive Police investigation, we have not identified any further victims.

“Finally, we would like to thank officers at Cornwall Council who have assisted us throughout the investigation and have helped bring Mason to justice.”

A spokesman from Cornwall Council said: "The council suspended Mason on May 21 as soon as the allegations were made known.
"Council officers co-operated fully with the extensive police investigation and would like to pay tribute to the diligence and professionalism of the police officers who carried out this investigation and brought Mason to justice.

"Disciplinary action was initially put on hold pending the conclusion of the police investigation and then the court proceedings.

"Following Mason's decision to plead guilty to charges of wounding, sexual assault and assault, the council immediately began proceedings to terminate his employment. This process has now been completed and he no longer works for the authority.

"An internal review was carried out by senior council officers immediately after details of the charges were reported to identify any issues relating to Mason's work.

"His role within the commissioning team for Adult Care and Support means that he did not work directly with vulnerable adults. Support has been provided to the staff directly affected by this incident and to colleagues. This has been a shocking case which has caused great trauma and distress."