In rugby, Penryn's run of good form continued. The Borough ran out 26-17 victors against Wellington at the Memorial Ground to keep the pressure on the teams at the top of the Western Counties West division. Penryn lie fifth in the table.

But it was an unhappy Falmouth who made their way back from Plymouth on Saturday evening after the Eagles' unbeaten run in 2013 came to an abrupt end away at Old Plymothian and Mannamedian. The Eagles lost 26-21 in an exciting clash that went right to the wire, although they did come away with a bonus point thanks to a late try.

Elsewhere Redruth secured their first ever league victory against the Cornish All Blacks at Polson Bridge. The Reds won by a single point in a thrilling match, with the score eventually finishing 10-9 to the visitors.

On Sunday the Cornish Pirates took on Doncaster Knights in a game that marked Pirates legend Alan Paver's 300th appearance for the club.

And the Pirates celebrated the occasion with a resounding win, despite the terrible conditions. They put the Knights to the sword in convincing fashion, with the final score at the Mennaye standing at 31-18.

In football, Falmouth Town managers Les Gilbert and Robbie Stephens are still searching for their first win in charge at Bickland Park. Despite putting in another good performance Falmouth were beaten 2-1 by in-form Liverton United.

The game saw the return to action of 19 year-old striker Rob Wearne after almost six months out recovering from a life-threatening skull fracture sustained against Elburton Villa in September last year.

It also marked the 251st appearance in a Falmouth shirt of midfielder Ross Pope, who was presented with an award after the game.

Dan Richardson was on the score sheet for Town, but goals from Nick Rudge and a penalty from Stuart Bowker were enough to take the points for Liverton.

Saturday was also Charity Cup quarter finals day, with both Helston and Porthleven looking to progress into the last four of the competition.

Port hosted Dobwalls at Gala Parc, but the visitors proved too strong for Dennis Annear's young side, winning 5-2 despite Porthleven playing the better football and enjoying the larger share of possession.

Sid Taylor's Helston Athletic were involved in a tense encounter at the Saltings against Combination League St Ives. The Blues went behind in the first half, before a second half goal from Mark Goldsworthy forced extra time.

With the sides still deadlocked, the game went to penalties with St Ives eventually emerging victorious to seal a famous win.

Bodmin Town were in action representing Cornwall in the fifth round of the FA Vase. They hosted West Midlands League champions Gornal Athletic at Priory Park.

But Darren Gilbert's side were unable to replicate their heroics in the previous round, tumbling out of the competition thanks to Lee Wherton's first half goal.

In the Jolly's Combination League, Penryn Athletic Reserves slumped to defeat away at second-placed St Day, while Falmouth Athletic DC registered an impressive 4-2 victory away at Newquay Reserves.

RNAS Culdrose were thumped 5-1 away at third-placed Pendeen Rovers.