Penryn Athletic 2 Callington Town 3

Despite a late rally Penryn suffered defeat at the hands of Callington Town, who demonstrated their division one west title credentials with a well earned victory at Kernick Road.

It was a good result for Callington in their quest for top spot in the league, and made all the more important by news that runaway league leaders Mousehole had suffered their first defeat of the season away at St Dennis.

Penryn have done well to stay in contention with the teams at the top of the table, and it was the home side who drew first blood when, in the 16th minute Sean Johnston broke into the box from the right, and his low cross ricocheted into the path of Dale Band, who made no mistake from six yards out.

What followed should have been a time of consolidation for Penryn, but the home side were sloppy in defending their lead, and Callington were back on level terms soon after when Luke Avis-Riordan's parried shot spun across the face of the goal and dropped to the ever impressive Carl Farnham who hooked the ball back into the Penryn goal.

There was no stopping Cally now, and within three minutes of the restart Penryn's Josh Hoon found himself unable to stop Steve Kidd powering his way through the middle to plant a fine shot past the outstretched arm of Chris Symons an inside the right post.

Penryn had their clear cut moments as Dale Band hit the post, and Sam Borthwick pulled off a fine save from the veteran midfielder in a one on one situation.

Meanwhile at the other end Symons made a superb point blank stop from Kirk Smith, before Avis-Riordan was booked for one of several excessively strong challenges on Penryn midfielder Ryan Chinn.

Indeed, Penryn's midfield were at times bullied out of the game as Callington took control.

Russell May went off with a back injury just before the interval and was replaced by youngster Kieran Faulkner, but at this stage Penryn were still well in the game.

Borthwick did well to smother a David Broglino free kick, then tipped over a cross-cum-shot from Johnston.

But after the break Penryn were once again too loose at the back allowing Mike Lucas to put Cally in the driving seat with a tap in from close range.

Band was still Penryn's most creative outlet going forward, and after 60 minutes he weaved his way in from the left to tee up Kevin Lawrence, who drove a low shot into Borthwick's bottom right-hand corner - his first goal since joining Penryn in September last year.

But a few minutes later Lawrence went off, and Penryn's chances of salvaging anything from the game disappeared as Cally dug in and defended their lead, smothering Penryn's preferred short passing game.

A couple of late free kick opportunities for the home side came to nothing as the visitors, who in the end were simply too strong, wrapped up the win.

Penryn Athletic: C Symons, R May (K Falulkner 44), D Blizzard, B Oliver (c), J Hoon (P Baldwin 80), R Chinn, D Broglino, D Band, K Lawrence (T Cooke 65), G Hobbs, S Johnston. SUBS (not used): W Scoley.