Falmouth Eagles 65 Veor 0

After a week of atrocious weather it is testament to the ground staff at the Recreation Ground that Saturday’s game between Falmouth Eagles and Veor even went ahead, as matches across the county fell foul of the weather.

And even though in places the pitch might have looked more like the Somme than Falmouth in January, a cracking game took place in howling wind, driving rain and copious amounts of mud.
After what many were calling their worst game of the season against Hayle last week, the Eagles had a point to prove as they hosted the league’s bottom side.

And unfortunately for out-of-form Veor, Falmouth were determined to prove a point.

In perhaps the Eagles’ best performance of the season lowly Veor were blown away as Falmouth ran in 11 tries on their way to a 65-0 win.

The Eagles took control right from the outset, attacking from the kick off and refusing to let up until the final whistle blew.

The first try of the match was only five minutes in the making, after continued forward pressure in the opening scrums won Falmouth the ball, which was passed out to winger Josh Symons who dived over the whitewash.

Falmouth didn’t look back from there. Barely 10 minutes later they won a penalty which was kicked into touch 10 metres out, before a catch and drive brought them another penalty.

This was then kicked to the five metre line and Falmouth used one of their strongest moves to great effect once again, as A.J Geach dotted down, and Irons converted.

The third try came courtesy of brilliant power and speed from a range of players.

Symons sped down the wing and then offloaded to Ashley Searle, whose brute force saw him break through the Veor defence, only for the visitors to hold him up under the posts.

The subsequent five metre scrum was passed out wide to Symons, who offloaded to powerhouse Simon Bailey to break through two Veor players and slide over the tryline for Falmouth’s third try within 25 minutes. Irons converted to put them 19 points ahead.

The fourth try came as Veor tried to clear their lines, but only as far as James Instance. He passed out wide to Josh Symons who scored his second try of the afternoon in the corner, managing to take out the flag in the process.

Another catch and drive from Eagles brought them their fifth try of the day just on the stroke of half time. The drive got them within spitting distance of the tryline as the ball went back to Matt Kindjarsky who dived spectacularly over to make it 31-0 at half-time.

Things didn't improve for Veor after the break.

Immediately after the restart Falmouth won a lineout barely 10 metres out, and the subsequent catch and drive was grounded by Ollie Church.

The seventh try came soon after with a superb bit of running from Irons as he collected the ball on around the half way line, and dodged and weaved his way down the wing to score a superb individual try.

Tom Edmonds then set up the eighth try as he broke through the Veor defence and offloaded on the inside to Sam Burke to touch down near the posts.

The ninth try came from another superb piece of work by the forwards as they won the ball from a Veor scrum and worked the ball back to Richard Bray who offloaded to Symons to dive over for his hat trick.

The next try was all down to the forwards. A catch and drive was held up on the line and the scrum that followed was so powerful and so well controlled by Bailey, the Eagles easily made up the 5 metres to the try line and Bailey only had to ground the ball to put the Eagles 60-0 ahead after the conversion.

There still was time for one more as Tom Spiller was given the ball and he dodged several tackles to score the Eagles final try to more than double their tally from the first half, and cap a very strong performance.