Penryn up to fifth in division one west after victory over Truro City

Penryn up to fifth in division one west after victory over Truro City

Penryn up to fifth in division one west after victory over Truro City

First published in Sport by

Penryn Athletic 2 Truro City 0

Penryn returned to their league programme on Saturday against local rivals Truro City having played just one division one west match in the last seven weeks, writes Mike Young.

Nevertheless, the pitch at Kernick Road has come through this unprecendented wet winter virtually unscathed, and as such Penryn were handed the opportunity to leapfrog Truro City into fifth place in the league.

Truro, whose second string were rocked by the departure of manager Anthony Reynolds in January, were looking to get their campaign back on track after a disappointing draw against Bude played in atrocious conditions at Treyew Road three weeks ago - their last outing.

But it was Penryn who made all the early running, starting the game brightly and causing Truro some problems.

Until in the 12th minute Dale Band was caught in possession, allowing the strong-running Scott Palmer in on goal only for Chris Symons to do enough to parry his shot out and away from danger.

Within four minutes Penryn took the lead as Kevin Lawrence and Russell May worked the ball across field to Band, who slipped a pass inside to Greg Hobbs.

Hobbs in turn laid it into the path of new singing from Perranporth, Ed Wilton, racing in from the right, who slid a shot past Dan Peters in the Truro goal.

A desperately back-pedalling Rob Dunn could only help it into his own net as Wilton wheeled away to celebrate a goal on his debut.

In the second half Truro came out a transformed side, showing great purpose in every department.

It was just as Penryn boss Steve Jewell elected to make use of defendr David Blizzard as a sweeper in trying to prevent the forward power of Palmer, who had netted two hat-tricks against Penryn in previous encounters.

But even so he had a great header that came down off the bar and was scrambled away in the 55th minute.

Penryn were muddling away, just doing enough to get a foot in when it counted.

Then in the 70th minute the home side got their second goal as Kevin Lawrence played the ball inside to Wilton, whose shot came back out off Peters in the City goal only as far as Shaun Johnston.

Johnston put it straight back in to Greg Hobbs, standing on the penalty spot. Hobbs held his nerve and saw his shot beat the keeper and the covering defenders on the line, and take away any real hope of a City recovery.

PENRYN: C Symons, D Blizzard, R May, K Lawrence (W Scoley 80), B Oliver, J Hoon, S Johnston, D Band (K Faulkner 68), G Hobbs (T Cooke 78), D Broglino, E Wilton. 

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree