Newquay 4 Falmouth 5

Falmouth continued their unbeaten run with a great County Cup semi-final victory over Premier league side Newquay at Penair on Saturday, writes Jeanette Coleman.

This was a fixture that always draws a good match, and Falmouth, fresh from a few weeks' rest, started the brightest.

Penetrative runs down the right from Rachael Tatlow exploited a shaky-looking Newquay defence, and it was her cross to the back post which found Victoria Pryor, who made no mistake in converting to score the opening goal.

Falmouth came close to pinching another quickly after when Kathryn Barbery-Redd hit the side netting with a stinging shot.

Tatlow doubled Falmouth's lead with a great solo effort and Newquay, expecting the cross, were left reeling as the ball hit the backboard.

Newquay managed to pull one back just before half time when several penalty corners in quick succession allowed them to find an opening and give them some hope that the game could be salvaged.

After the break Falmouth once again came out strongly, but a miss on the left post and a goal disallowed for a foot began to see an element of concern creep in to Falmouth's play.

Newquay jumped on the chance to pull a goal back, and did so from another penalty corner, this time playing the ball through the Falmouth defence with quick passing.

Undeterred, Falmouth pressed forward and another driving run from Tatlow driving run resulted in a cross which found Pryor at the back post to tap in her second and Falmouth's third.

A fourth soon followed with Mia Tumoana picking up off the keeper's pads for her first goal for the club.

Newquay heads had well and truly dropped by this point and one of their players was carded for a cheap and unnecessary foul.

Falmouth came close with several more chances; two more of which crossed the line only to be disallowed.

Terri Barbery-Redd was outstanding in defence and picked off the Newquay forwards with precise, well-timed tackles, earning her a well-deserved player of the match award while ‘keeper June Moore made some good saves from attempts on goal from open play.

Newquay came back with another goal from a penalty corner, but Falmouth killed off the game with a strike from Clare Hudson.

A final few nervy minutes ensued as Newquay found the net once more with a clinical strike, but Falmouth were deserved 5-4 victors in a game that was not as close as the score line suggests.

They will now face either Bude or Truro in the final, to be held at Penzance Hockey Club on April 12th.

Falmouth continue their league campaign at Okehampton on Saturday when they must turn their thoughts to maintaining top spot.  Falmouth 2 also return to league action with a tough home match against Plymouth University 2 at Penryn College at 10.30am.