Porthleven 0 Holsworthy 1

Porthleven's bogey team Holsworthy completed the double over Dennis Annear's side after a tepid encounter at Gala Park which was decided by a single goal.

Port had their chances, but were without the injured Jordan Annear and fellow first-choice striker Chris Blango. In their absence Freddie Williams started up front alongside Kyle Frasier, but the pair found it tough going against a Holsworthy side who played some good football at times.

On a heavy playing surface the first half turned into an attritional midfield scrap, with neither side able to craft anything other than half-chances.

Adam Smietanka's early free kick was pushed out for a corner by Dennis Annear, and Dan Greet put his free kick from 20 yards out into orbit.

The first chance of note for either side fell to Holsworthy as Nick Aplin beat the offside trap to break clear of the Port defence, only for Dennis Annear to race off his line and make a fine stop.

Both sides seemed to have one eye on half time, but five minutes before the break Holsworthy went a goal up when a ball down the middle caught the home defence napping and released Alpin.

And though Annear was quick off his line the Holsworthy forward looked to have learned from his earlier mistake, whacking an early effort past Port's player-manager and in off the upright.

Port started the second half brightly, with Frasier's darting run down the right resulting in a dangerous cross into the six yard box which might, on another day, have found the boot of Blango or Jordan Annear rather than go begging.

Thomas Hawkins had perhap's Port's best chance to restore parity, but his shot from six yards out was straight at the keeper, as was Williams's effort soon after.

Jason Cordice almost put Hoslworthy two up when he forced a superb fingertip save out of Dennis Annear, who tipped the Hoslworthy forward's venomous strike around the post for a corner.

But Port simply coulnd't get going, and in truth Hoslworthy were rarely troubled.

Matt Best made way for Sam Kay late on in an attempt to shake things up for the home side, but Port struggled to get out of neutral.

Until seconds before the final whistle when a free kick on the edge of the box saw the ball bounce to Jed McCardie inside the box, and the midfielder's snap shot on the turn cannoned back off the upright.

Three inches to the left and Port may well have salvaged a point.

Annear Snr's side are next in action a week on Saturday when they travel to Kernick Road to face Penryn Athletic.

Both Blango and Jordan Annear should be available for that game, and based on Saturday's performance their return can't come a momnent too soon.

PORTHLEVEN: D Annear, C Wormington, L Hunter, J McCardie, D Tarrant, T Hawkins, M Best (S Kay 70), D Greet, F Williams, K Frasier, T Annear. Subs (not used): None.