Wednesday March 5 saw the final of the seniors’ winter league take place in perfect weather conditions - a rarity this winter.

Over 40 players took part in the final and scoring was exceptional. On the day in third place John Sanz and Tony Harris made an impressive 47 points, they were beaten on countback by the pairing of Brian Norris and Andy Anderson but clear winners were Nigel Druce and Chris Beer carding an unbelieveable 51 points!

The Winter League trophy is awarded to the player carding the best six scores over the winter league and the front runners were Graham Buck and John Sanz each on the same score so it was down to the wire.

Graham was out first and had a respectable 44 points with his partner Jeff Hobden.

However John Sanz with his partner Tony Harris came in with 47 points to snatch the prize.
After the prize giving a seniors team photo shoot took place to show off the new kit that most of the players were wearing.


Falmouth Packet:

Pete Brierly (left) Captain of Falmouth Golf Club Seniors section presenting the Winter League trophy to John Sanz.

Seniors team competitions start at the end of March and everyone is looking forward to an enjoyable playing season.

Meanwhile the final rounds of the winter league at Falmouth Golf Club produced some excellent golf in what had been the toughest year weather-wise.

Simon Hirst played well throughout the winter and with a final aggregate of 218 stableford points (a fine average of 43.6 points per round) duly collected the Ted Hitchens Winter League Trophy.


Falmouth Packet:

Winner of the Ted Hitchens Winter League Simon Hirst (left) Lucien Trathen club captain and Graham Buck Competition & Handicap Secretary.

During his presentation speech club captain Lucien Trathen asked the members to observe a minute’s silence in memory of club stalwart Derek Hodges, who had recently passed away.
He also thanked competition and handicap secretary Graham Buck for his excellent work.

Runner-up Paul Caunter also did very well and his battling 47 points in the final round on Sunday pulled him level at the top, only to lose out on the countback ruling.

Third in the overall table was Paul Huckle with an aggregate of 213. Fourth was Ian Renshaw on 212 and Crispen Merritt fifth with 211.

The four ball better ball final round, played in bright sunshine, saw Gerry Storey and Paul Kneebone produce a sensational finish to card 50 points.

Falmouth Packet:

Final round winners; Gerry Storey (left) and Paul Kneebone (right) flanking club Captain Lucien Trathen.

Not bad playing off three quarter handicaps! With 24 points after nine they cruised through the next five holes before birdies at 15 and 16.

Then an “eagle” at 17 before finishing with another birdie, carding 15 points on the last four holes to win by three points from Mike Hodges and Rob Churcher who in turn pipped Darren Horton and Paul Caunter on countback, both pairs having played well for 47 points apiece.