Festival rugby is all about maximum game time in shorter but more intense games,  so having a severely depleted squad with just about enough players to field a team is not the ideal way to compete at these events. 

Falmouth were drawn in pool one,  along with Helston, Perranporth and eventual Festival winners Truro.

Fair to say this was not going to be an easy ride, with Falmouth having never previously beaten Truro or Perranporth. 

Fortunately the first game was against Helston, and so there was an opportunity for Falmouth to blow away the cobwebs against a more evenly matched opponent. 

However, Helston were more than up for the match and the first half was a cagey affair, with neither side able to break down the opposition defence

With only seven minutes each half, time is of the essence, and getting the first try in these evenly matched games can be decisive. 

At the start of the second half Helston pressed hard and pinned Falmouth back on their own line. 

Eventually the defence was breached and Helston took the lead. 

Whilst Falmouth threw everything they had at their opponents for the remainder of the game, they just couldn’t find a way through Helston’s dogged tackling. 

Falmouth had no time to dwell on this first game as they faced Truro next, who had defeated Perranporth in their opening game. 

Falmouth were under no illusions about size of the task they faced.

Truro have a great all-round team with strength in depth, but in these games there is always a chance to spring a few surprises. 

True to form the opening exchanges were a tight affair with little to separate the two sides. 
However, with Truro starting to dominate possession Falmouth began to be stretched defensively and Truro took these opportunities well to open up a two-try lead in the first half.

Falmouth regrouped, and from the restart put up a much sterner wall of defence, taking the game to Truro.

Although Falmouth were unable to breach the Truro defence they did come close a couple of times, but just as importantly, they managed to prevent Truro from adding to their tally.

The last pool game was against Perranporth and was virtually a repeat of the previous game against Truro. Perranporth managed to score two first half tries but Falmouth again put up more determined performance in the second half. 

With that, Falmouth found themselves bottom of the pool, into the semi-final of the Bowl competition and drawn against neighbours Penryn.

There is no easy game in this festival and this encounter confirmed it, Falmouth had competed well and knew that one try is all it takes in these tight games.

Penryn quickly set out their stall and put Falmouth under pressure, driving hard and maintaining possession.

But the unstoppable force was met with the immoveable object and Falmouth responded with equal measure.

This high-intensity game took its toll, as Falmouth and Penryn both suffered injuries before half time and had to go down to 12 players as Falmouth had no substitutes to call upon.

Back to a full complement of players for the second half both sides again set about attempting to break the stalemate.

And to their credit Penryn made the pressure count.

After a period of sustained possession they managed to find a gap in the defence to score the try that proved the difference between the two sides. 

Falmouth had one last game against Liskeard and Looe to restore some pride and they did it in style, eventually playing the rugby that we all know they are capable of. 

Falmouth controlled the game from the start and scored two tries in the first half.

In the second they really started to enjoy themselves and pass the ball around as if playing for the Barbarians, running in a further three tries.

Whilst overall it was a little disappointing Falmouth did play well, stood up against overall winners Truro in the Pool match, and at least ended on a high with broad smiles after their last game of the festival.