FALMOUTH gave second placed Grampound Road a good scrap before going down by two wickets at Trescobeas on Saturday.

It was a day that spinners from the sub continent ruled the roost. Sri Lankan Jeffery Vandersay took six wickets for Grampound Road while Indian Anup Revandkar picked up five for the home side.

A fourth defeat in seven games leaves Falmouth in the bottom half of the table. They lie in eighth spot, eighteen points ahead of bottom club Redruth.

Falmouth lost skipper Adrian Noott for two with Alex Ridd getting the wicket with just six runs on the board. Revandkar made twelve, Antony Angove got a duck on his return to the side following his holiday and Craig Mouatt only scored eight.

Opener Stefan Churcher hit 37 before being fourth out at 62. Four wickets fell for just 11 runs and at 92 for eight the innings was in trouble. Tailender George Popperwell made a useful 30 to be last out in the 41st over to give the innings a late boost.

Vandersay did most of the damage taking six for 40 from 13.5 overs. Christian Purchase took two for 45. The ‘Road’ lost the in-form David Hoskings to Popperwell for 14 and Tom Hughes, after his century the previous week, was LBW to Angove for a duck.

The important wicket of Purchase fell when he was caught by Guy Leathley for four to make it 34 for three. Matt Manuell, 23, and Chris Roberts, 29, staged a recovery taking the total to 84 but a clatter of wickets got Falmouth right back into the game.

Revandkar got out Roberts, Manuell, Josh Sharpe and Ridd, the latter two both for ducks, while Glyn Furnival bowled Matt South for 15.

It left the ninth wicket pair of Vandersay and Lewis Sanders requiring 14 to get over the line. They got there however in a tense finish with Vandersay completing a good game with 17 not out.

Revandkar took five for 32 from eleven overs with one each for Furnival, Popperwell and Angove. Victory came with plenty of time to spare in the 32nd over.

This weekend Falmouth travel to St Austell, who saw their scheduled game against Werrington cancelled on Saturday due to the heavy rain.