FALMOUTH put up a good performance at St Austell on Saturday but were not quite able to deliver the knock-out blow, writes Michael Weeks.

They had to settle for the best of a drawn game, taking fifteen points to the home side’s 11. The game could have gone either way however as St Austell ran out of time in their run chase. They required another 19 runs to win, with two wickets remaining, when stumps were drawn.

That however was quite a recovery as at one point they were in trouble chasing the 244 as they found themselves on 48-5.

Glyn Furnival did most of the early damage taking four of the wickets. He trapped James Carter in front for 16. Taylor Williams soon followed as he was bowled for a duck.

George Popperwell had Andrew Libby caught for eleven. Furnival then got back in to the action to remove opener Mike Bone for 16 and he bowled Scott Barrott two runs later.

Matt Ellison led the fightback however and added 137 for the sixth wicket with Gary Bone. Furnival got the breakthrough to bowl Ellison for 81. Bone went on to make 70 not out, that included two sixes and ensured the result remained in doubt.

Furnival ended with five for 62 from 16 overs. Popperwell took two for 36 and Revandkar one for 33. Antony Angove sent down 13 overs for 37 while seven overs of spin from Guy Leathley and Liam Hoban cost 49 runs.

For Falmouth Adrian Noott and Stefan Churcher put on 71 for the first wicket to get their side off to a good start before the latter was judged to be out LBW off Libby for 36.

Revandkar was also out to Libby without scoring, but Noott and Angove got the total to 151 before the third wicket fell as Falmouth’s captain became another victim of Libby’s, being caught by Callum Wilson for 39.

Angove dominated the rest of the innings to complete a century. His 108 included three sixes and 14 fours. He shared a fifth wicket partnership of 47 with Jacob Stephens, who contributed seven. Angove finally went with the score at 224 and was followed by Popperwell and Leathley in the quest for late runs.

Furnival was unbeaten on 13. Libby took five for 66 from 14 overs.

Falmouth are due to see plenty of St Just over the next few days. For tonight’s Vinter Cup Final at Camborne, starting at 6pm, they make one change from last Saturday with Craig Mouatt returning in place of Harry Roberts.

Then this Saturday, St Just visit Trescobeas in the Premier League, looking to maintain their unbeaten record.

They won by five wickets at Callington last week to open up a 33 point lead.